"Magnum on Ice"

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Magnum on Ice"

#31 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:59 am For the many Mannix fans here, they can enjoy a Mannix episode from 1973 and it's sequel/resolution of the same case 24 years later on Diagnosis: Murder.
The 1973 Mannix  episode "Little Girl Lost"(season 7 episode 4) is going to be shown Tuesday, January 18 at 2:05 AM on MeTV. 
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel runs Diagnosis: Murder every day from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
So in a few short weeks they will be up to 1997's "Hard Boiled Murder", (season 4 episode 17), the sequel or crossover episode with Connors again as Mannix, working on the "Little Girl Lost" case.
Actors Beverly Garland, Julie Adams and Pernell Roberts reprise their roles from the original as well.
 These shows will be a hoot to record and then sit down to watch both, a quarter of a century between the two. 
Hi Guys,
Today I watched the original Mannix episode and the Diagnosis: Murder reworked sequel. This was not a case of exactly continuing the Mannix script but rather harvesting it's bones
and visual footage to fashion a new retro episode. And unlike the Magnum/Murder She Wrote effort, this one works, with a twist ending that you will never see coming.

Diagnosis's writers made changes to the flashback footage from Mannix through clever editing.
Thus bad guy Leon the Chauffeur was now the murdered reporter Lou Reynold's assistant. Leon didn't benefit from the change even if
originally he was given cement overshoes and chucked into the Pacific.
This time he did a involuntary Brody and was chucked off an apartment terrace.
These changes don't hurt one's enjoyment as you can appreciate the artful way the writers pulled this off 24 years after the original story.
Besides, it works.
All the actors seemed to be up for this effort, Dick Van Dyke and Mike Connors worked well together.
Connors is heavier but still game and he does seem to be having a good time. He gets the last line, which is humorous, maybe a first for Joe Mannix?
The normal aging process was most noticeable with Beverley Garland(best known for My Three Sons).
For a woman who specialized in playing sexy blonde parts who drew focus from every other female in a given scene, the 24 year contrast was striking.
I am not being ageist or insensitive, rather it really hits home when you watch these episodes together and see how the passage of time took
Beverley on, as well as Mike Connors, Pernell Roberts and Julie Adams.
In any event this was a pretty good swan song for tough guy dick Joe Mannix. Too bad he never showed up on Magnum PI.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:08 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:59 am For the many Mannix fans here, they can enjoy a Mannix episode from 1973 and it's sequel/resolution of the same case 24 years later on Diagnosis: Murder.
The 1973 Mannix  episode "Little Girl Lost"(season 7 episode 4) is going to be shown Tuesday, January 18 at 2:05 AM on MeTV. 
Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel runs Diagnosis: Murder every day from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
So in a few short weeks they will be up to 1997's "Hard Boiled Murder", (season 4 episode 17), the sequel or crossover episode with Connors again as Mannix, working on the "Little Girl Lost" case.
Actors Beverly Garland, Julie Adams and Pernell Roberts reprise their roles from the original as well.
 These shows will be a hoot to record and then sit down to watch both, a quarter of a century between the two. 
Hi Guys,
Today I watched the original Mannix episode and the Diagnosis: Murder reworked sequel. This was not a case of exactly continuing the Mannix script but rather harvesting it's bones
and visual footage to fashion a new retro episode. And unlike the Magnum/Murder She Wrote effort, this one works, with a twist ending that you will never see coming.

Diagnosis's writers made changes to the flashback footage from Mannix through clever editing.
Thus bad guy Leon the Chauffeur was now the murdered reporter Lou Reynold's assistant. Leon didn't benefit from the change even if
These changes don't hurt one's enjoyment as you can appreciate the artful way the writers pulled this off 24 years after the original story.
Besides, it works.
All the actors seemed to be up for this effort, Dick Van Dyke and Mike Connors worked well together.
Connors is heavier but still game and he does seem to be having a good time. He gets the last line, which is humorous, maybe a first for Joe Mannix?
The normal aging process was most noticeable with Beverley Garland(best known for My Three Sons).
For a woman who specialized in playing sexy blonde parts who drew focus from every other female in a given scene, the 24 year contrast was striking.
I am not being ageist or insensitive, rather it really hits home when you watch these episodes together and see how the passage of time took
In any event this was a pretty good swan song for tough guy dick Joe Mannix. Too bad he never showed up on Magnum PI.
I really need to see these 2 episodes at some point, as I am both a MANNIX and DIAGNOSIS: MURDER fan. I actually watched the latter during its run in the 90s and, like MATLOCK (the other Dean Hargrove production), greatly enjoyed it! I actually remember from back then that Mike Connors guest starred as Joe Mannix on the show but never saw the episode. I also remember Andy Griffith guest starring on the show as Ben Matlock, an old friend of Dr. Mark Sloan's. I think he even defends Sloan on a murder charge.

Another thing I loved about D:M is that they would have these episodes which would have a certain "theme" and they would bring in guest stars that are known for that "theme" or that genre. What I mean is that one episode had a "police" theme - there was corruption in the police department. So the guest stars were actors known for their police TV shows. There was Fred Dryer (known for HUNTER of course), Angie Dickinson (POLICE WOMAN), James Darren (T.J. HOOKER), and Martin Milner and Kent McCord (ADAM-12). They didn't play the characters that they played on their respective shows. They played totally different characters but if you were familiar with these actors and what shows they were in you instantly knew why they were cast in this particular episode. Then there was a "spy" themed episode and of course the guest stars were Robert Culp (as Jesse's father), Barbara Bain, Patrick MacNee, Robert Vaughn, and Philip Morris. Philip is the son of Greg Morris (who was in the original MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE) and Philip was in the 80s remake of M:I. So you see the pattern here with these guest stars. Then there was one with actors from M*A*S*H (Swit, Farr, Christopher, Kellerman, Gould). I thought that was a special treat whenever they pulled off something like that.
Wasn't Bev already showing her age in 1982 in the MPI episode "Three Minus Two"? 15 years before her D:M appearance? She certainly wasn't stealing any scenes from Jill St. John in that episode. A year later she would begin her 4-year run on CBS's SCARECROW AND MRS. KING, playing Kate Jackson's mother! I thought she showed her age there. I think her raspy voice has a lot to do with making her sound older.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#33 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:26 pm
Hi Guys,

Besides, it works.
I really need to see these 2 episodes at some point, as I am both a MANNIX and DIAGNOSIS: MURDER fan. I actually watched the latter during its run in the 90s and, like MATLOCK (the other Dean Hargrove production), greatly enjoyed it! I actually remember from back then that Mike Connors guest starred as Joe Mannix on the show but never saw the episode. I also remember Andy Griffith guest starring on the show as Ben Matlock, an old friend of Dr. Mark Sloan's. I think he even defends Sloan on a murder charge.

Another thing I loved about D:M is that they would have these episodes which would have a certain "theme" and they would bring in guest stars that are known for that "theme" or that genre. What I mean is that one episode had a "police" theme - there was corruption in the police department. So the guest stars were actors known for their police TV shows. There was Fred Dryer (known for HUNTER of course), Angie Dickinson (POLICE WOMAN), James Darren (T.J. HOOKER), and Martin Milner and Kent McCord (ADAM-12). They didn't play the characters that they played on their respective shows. They played totally different characters but if you were familiar with these actors and what shows they were in you instantly knew why they were cast in this particular episode. Then there was a "spy" themed episode and of course the guest stars were Robert Culp (as Jesse's father), Barbara Bain, Patrick MacNee, Robert Vaughn, and Philip Morris. Philip is the son of Greg Morris (who was in the original MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE) and Philip was in the 80s remake of M:I. So you see the pattern here with these guest stars. Then there was one with actors from M*A*S*H (Swit, Farr, Christopher, Kellerman, Gould). I thought that was a special treat whenever they pulled off something like that.
Wasn't Bev already showing her age in 1982 in the MPI episode "Three Minus Two"? 15 years before her D:M appearance? She certainly wasn't stealing any scenes from Jill St. John in that episode. A year later she would begin her 4-year run on CBS's SCARECROW AND MRS. KING, playing Kate Jackson's mother! I thought she showed her age there. I think her raspy voice has a lot to do with making her sound older.
Hey Ivan,
We’re the themed episodes you mention in later seasons? As I explained on the first page of the thread, I worked in production on several episodes late in the first and early into the second season. It was a good crew to work with but I don’t remember any well known guest stars like you describe. I would have recognized all the names you mentioned.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,

Besides, it works.

Hi Ivan,
After reading the above I now want to check out D:M from episode one. I especially would like to see how Dr. Sloan interacts with his patient Rob Petrie, head writer for the Alan Brady Show.
Was it a cameo or did Petrie figure in the plot, perhaps tracking down his bad seed son Little Richie, head of all the rackets on the East Coast.
Little Richie then going into Witness Protection and given the cover of being a Vegas comic called Rich Little.

As for Beverly Garland(born 1926), I agree on her best day she wasn't stealing scenes from Jill St. John but who could?
But she carved a niche for herself as the cheesecake in more than a few crummy monster movies in the 50's/60's, cheap 65 minute quickies destined for 3rd billing at backwater drive ins.
The best one of these was "It Conquered the World"(1956).
The others never even rose to the level of "The Monster That Devoured Cleveland" (Maynard G. Krebs favorite flick) or "The House Cats Versus The Martian Invaders".
But she did have that "it" factor before she started rapidly aging into mother roles etc. She was only 61 in D:M but looked much older, she didn't remotely resemble
her earlier self on Mannix, I didn't know it was her. Maybe plastic surgery gone astray?
She did appear in a all time classic film, "D.O.A." (1949).

Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:06 pm
Hi Guys,

Besides, it works.

Hey Ivan,
We’re the themed episodes you mention in later seasons? As I explained on the first page of the thread, I worked in production on several episodes late in the first and early into the second season. It was a good crew to work with but I don’t remember any well known guest stars like you describe. I would have recognized all the names you mentioned.
I think the themed episodes began around seasons 4 or 5. I know the "police" and "spy" themed ones were from season 5. But the show always attracted pretty big guest stars, all the way from the beginning. Robert Guillaume and our own Sylvia Sydney ("Birdman of Budapest") were in the very first episode. Others like Suzanne Pleshette, Lesley Ann-Down, Emma Samms, Amy Yasbeck, Gerald McRaney, Abe Vigoda, etc. In the second season you had Dyan Cannon, Pernell Roberts (not the Mannix continuation), and Betty White as Mark's always-on-the-go meddling sister! So the show was pretty packed with stars or at least recognizable character actors. Might be you didn't stumble across them.

Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:14 am
Hi Ivan,
After reading the above I now want to check out D:M from episode one. I especially would like to see how Dr. Sloan interacts with his patient Rob Petrie, head writer for the Alan Brady Show.
Was it a cameo or did Petrie figure in the plot, perhaps tracking down his bad seed son Little Richie, head of all the rackets on the East Coast.
Little Richie then going into Witness Protection and given the cover of being a Vegas comic called Rich Little.
I'm afraid you have me stumped about Sloan interacting with Rob Petrie. :?: Not familiar with this. You're saying there was a guest star on the show who played a character named Rob Petrie? Or was Dick Van Dyke playing dual roles?

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Sam »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:51 am
Hi Ivan,
I'm afraid you have me stumped about Sloan interacting with Rob Petrie. :?: Not familiar with this. You're saying there was a guest star on the show who played a character named Rob Petrie? Or was Dick Van Dyke playing dual roles?
Hey Ivan...

https://youtu.be/oFG1ANqkZgo

Pahonu

#38 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:47 am
Pahonu wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:06 pm
Hi Guys,

Besides, it works.

Hey Ivan,
I think the themed episodes began around seasons 4 or 5. I know the "police" and "spy" themed ones were from season 5. But the show always attracted pretty big guest stars, all the way from the beginning. Robert Guillaume and our own Sylvia Sydney ("Birdman of Budapest") were in the very first episode. Others like Suzanne Pleshette, Lesley Ann-Down, Emma Samms, Amy Yasbeck, Gerald McRaney, Abe Vigoda, etc. In the second season you had Dyan Cannon, Pernell Roberts (not the Mannix continuation), and Betty White as Mark's always-on-the-go meddling sister! So the show was pretty packed with stars or at least recognizable character actors. Might be you didn't stumble across them.
I remember a few smaller names like Harvey Jason, Holland Taylor and Julie Sommars. I think the “biggest” name I remember was Michelle Phillips from the Mamas and the Papas. I know I’m forgetting some but I would have remembered many of those you listed. I only crewed on about ten or so episodes.

Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:58 pm I remember a few smaller names like Harvey Jason, Holland Taylor and Julie Sommars. I think the “biggest” name I remember was Michelle Phillips from the Mamas and the Papas. I know I’m forgetting some but I would have remembered many of those you listed. I only crewed on about ten or so episodes.
Interestingly enough I just had a correspondence with Harvey Jason about a month ago. :) He runs a bookstore in West Hollywood https://www.mysterypierbooks.com/. I emailed him just out of curiosity and he was very gracious to reply to me immediately. I told him how much I enjoyed some of his roles over the years, especially as the evil electronics genius who gets control of KITT and programs him to kill Michael in the KNIGHT RIDER episode "Killer KITT". He was very appreciative of my comments and said he remembered that week on KNIGHT RIDER very well, and that the director was Chuck Bail (stuntman-turned-director) who had earlier directed him in the film THE GUMBALL RALLY.

Very nice man!

Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Sam wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:14 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:51 am
Hi Ivan,
Hey Ivan...

https://youtu.be/oFG1ANqkZgo
Thanks Sam! I gotta say that's really bizarre. :shock: What's the context there?? It just seems random, like something out of the Twilight Zone. Sloan walks down the corridor of the hospital, looks into one of the room's windows, and sees Rob Petrie (in black & white!) on the other side???

Is it just breaking the 4th wall for the fun of it?

Pahonu

#41 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:07 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:58 pm I remember a few smaller names like Harvey Jason, Holland Taylor and Julie Sommars. I think the “biggest” name I remember was Michelle Phillips from the Mamas and the Papas. I know I’m forgetting some but I would have remembered many of those you listed. I only crewed on about ten or so episodes.
Interestingly enough I just had a correspondence with Harvey Jason about a month ago. :) He runs a bookstore in West Hollywood https://www.mysterypierbooks.com/. I emailed him just out of curiosity and he was very gracious to reply to me immediately. I told him how much I enjoyed some of his roles over the years, especially as the evil electronics genius who gets control of KITT and programs him to kill Michael in the KNIGHT RIDER episode "Killer KITT". He was very appreciative of my comments and said he remembered that week on KNIGHT RIDER very well, and that the director was Chuck Bail (stuntman-turned-director) who had earlier directed him in the film THE GUMBALL RALLY.

Very nice man!
That’s a great story! I’ve enjoyed his work in several roles over the years. He was in so many of my favorite 70’s series, like Harry-O, The Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, and Columbo. He was also in the early 80’s series Bring ‘em Back Alive, that came out at the same time as Tales if the Gold Monkey. I think you commented on never having seen it or heard of it in an earlier conversation about the series star Bruce Boxleitner. I’m going to make a point of visiting his bookstore soon.

Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:02 am

Very nice man!
That’s a great story! I’ve enjoyed his work in several roles over the years. He was in so many of my favorite 70’s series, like Harry-O, The Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, and Columbo. He was also in the early 80’s series Bring ‘em Back Alive, that came out at the same time as Tales if the Gold Monkey. I think you commented on never having seen it or heard of it in an earlier conversation about the series star Bruce Boxleitner. I’m going to make a point of visiting his bookstore soon.
Yep, he was in LOTS of 70s and 80s shows. Speaking of 70s shows, there's the Hawaii Five-O episode where he played an Indian consul. "Ring of Life". Don Knight was in it too. Not only did I absolutely not recognize him but I was 100% convinced they got an Indian actor for the part. When I saw his name in the end credits I couldn't believe it was the "Killer KITT" guy LOL! He absolutely nailed the part! He also played a Russkie spy in AIRWOLF, out to steal the helicopter. David Carradine was also in that episode. "Mind of the Machine" from season 1.

If you google him you should see pics of him in his bookstore, with his son I think. He looks just like him. I told him I'd love to check out his bookstore if I'm ever in Cali, in his neck of the woods.

Pahonu

#43 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:06 am
Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:02 am

Very nice man!
Yep, he was in LOTS of 70s and 80s shows. Speaking of 70s shows, there's the Hawaii Five-O episode where he played an Indian consul. "Ring of Life". Don Knight was in it too. Not only did I absolutely not recognize him but I was 100% convinced they got an Indian actor for the part. When I saw his name in the end credits I couldn't believe it was the "Killer KITT" guy LOL! He absolutely nailed the part! He also played a Russkie spy in AIRWOLF, out to steal the helicopter. David Carradine was also in that episode. "Mind of the Machine" from season 1.

If you google him you should see pics of him in his bookstore, with his son I think. He looks just like him. I told him I'd love to check out his bookstore if I'm ever in Cali, in his neck of the woods.
Interesting, his character in Bring ‘em Back Alive was Indian I believe. It was set in and around Singapore in the 30’s with lots of international intrigue.

Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:21 am
Interesting, his character in Bring ‘em Back Alive was Indian I believe. It was set in and around Singapore in the 30’s with lots of international intrigue.
He was an Indian again in his final film role - 1997's THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK! :lol: I remember him in that one.

He does look very ethnic so it's not surprising he got cast in all these foreign parts. He's actually British. And his wife is the lovely British actress Pamela Franklin. She was in an episode of Hawaii Five-O too!