HAWAIIAN EYE

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: HAWAIIAN EYE

#46 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:43 am Meanwhile, back to the Hawaiian Eye thread:

Tonight MeTV Plus ran episode 2, season 4 of Hawaiian Eye(10-9-62) titled "Somewhere There's Music".
Ten minutes in I knew I had seen it before and I had.
No it wasn't another case of Warner Brothers switching scripts between their TV series.
Rather it was those goniffs from CBS's Hawaii 5-0.
Airing Oct 14. 1970, almost 8 years to the day after ABC ran the original,the Hawaii 5-0 episode "The Guarnerius Caper" is a clone of the Hawaiian Eye version, though it's a toss up as to which is better.
I have to give it to Hawaiian Eye as any show that features the hauntingly beautiful face of Connie Stevens plus her singing is hard to top.
I was perplexed by the script sharing, as these two series were from different studios.

So I did some quick research.
The credits for the Hawaiian Eye version list one Ken Pettus as the author, while Hawaii 5-0 lists Leonard Freeman and then Ken Pettus. 
 I guess Freeman grabbed himself a writing fee for changing a few names for his remake. How nice for Pettus that he is listed after Freeman.

Frankly I am surprised because Hawaii 5-0 had a big budget,why was CBS recycling old Warner Brothers scripts?
And how many more times was this done?
Am I am going to come across a Hawaii 5-0 episode titled The Maui Falcon where McGarrett crosses swords with private dick Sam Spade?
The Treasure of the Sierra Makaleha? How about Knute Rockne, All Hawaiian?
Actually "The Guarnerius Caper" gave sole writing credit to Ken Pettus. Lenny Freeman had nothing to do with this one. Lenny did write or co-write a few episodes (not many) but this wasn't one of them. If you're looking at IMDB then you'll see Freeman credited under every episode (since he was the exec. producer) but that doesn't mean he was the writer. If you watch the episode you'll see "Written by Ken Pettus". That's it.
As to which episode is better? Come now, of course "Guarnerius"! :lol: Two words - ANTHONY JAMES! The scuzziest creep (along with his equally creepy buddy) in all of Five-O-dom! Terrific character actor with a great looking (creepy) face who never gave a bad performance! Sorry, but Connie Stevens just can't compare. :wink:
Ivan,
As you thought, IMDB is indeed where I saw Freeman being credited as the writer. Why would they do that? Why not give him directing and lighting credit as well.
I'm surprised the writers guild don't go after them with a vengeance.

Anthony James(best known as the killer in "In The Heat of the Night") and Timothy Carey (various Kubrick films) may be the most repellent loser bad guys ever.
Kudos to a fellow appreciator of that art, though it no longer seems to be cultivated. Perhaps the studios would rather cast these parts with journeyman actors
than develop the next Strother Martin because you'd have to pay them a lot more.

A guy I worked with saw Connie a couple of times in the USO shows when they came to Vietnam. He said she owned the tours, she could sing, dance, do comedy
and when singing an aching, heart breaking version of White Christmas, the most hard core vets would weep.
While Raquel Welch was the big sex symbol she was one dimensional - ahem - while Connie was beloved.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:23 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:08 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:43 am Meanwhile, back to the Hawaiian Eye thread:

Tonight MeTV Plus ran episode 2, season 4 of Hawaiian Eye(10-9-62) titled "Somewhere There's Music".
Ten minutes in I knew I had seen it before and I had.
No it wasn't another case of Warner Brothers switching scripts between their TV series.
Rather it was those goniffs from CBS's Hawaii 5-0.
Airing Oct 14. 1970, almost 8 years to the day after ABC ran the original,the Hawaii 5-0 episode "The Guarnerius Caper" is a clone of the Hawaiian Eye version, though it's a toss up as to which is better.
I have to give it to Hawaiian Eye as any show that features the hauntingly beautiful face of Connie Stevens plus her singing is hard to top.
I was perplexed by the script sharing, as these two series were from different studios.

So I did some quick research.
The credits for the Hawaiian Eye version list one Ken Pettus as the author, while Hawaii 5-0 lists Leonard Freeman and then Ken Pettus. 
 I guess Freeman grabbed himself a writing fee for changing a few names for his remake. How nice for Pettus that he is listed after Freeman.

Frankly I am surprised because Hawaii 5-0 had a big budget,why was CBS recycling old Warner Brothers scripts?
And how many more times was this done?
Am I am going to come across a Hawaii 5-0 episode titled The Maui Falcon where McGarrett crosses swords with private dick Sam Spade?
The Treasure of the Sierra Makaleha? How about Knute Rockne, All Hawaiian?
Actually "The Guarnerius Caper" gave sole writing credit to Ken Pettus. Lenny Freeman had nothing to do with this one. Lenny did write or co-write a few episodes (not many) but this wasn't one of them. If you're looking at IMDB then you'll see Freeman credited under every episode (since he was the exec. producer) but that doesn't mean he was the writer. If you watch the episode you'll see "Written by Ken Pettus". That's it.
As to which episode is better? Come now, of course "Guarnerius"! :lol: Two words - ANTHONY JAMES! The scuzziest creep (along with his equally creepy buddy) in all of Five-O-dom! Terrific character actor with a great looking (creepy) face who never gave a bad performance! Sorry, but Connie Stevens just can't compare. :wink:
Ivan,
As you thought, IMDB is indeed where I saw Freeman being credited as the writer. Why would they do that? Why not give him directing and lighting credit as well.
I'm surprised the writers guild don't go after them with a vengeance.

Anthony James(best known as the killer in "In The Heat of the Night") and Timothy Carey (various Kubrick films) may be the most repellent loser bad guys ever.
Kudos to a fellow appreciator of that art, though it no longer seems to be cultivated. Perhaps the studios would rather cast these parts with journeyman actors
than develop the next Strother Martin because you'd have to pay them a lot more.

A guy I worked with saw Connie a couple of times in the USO shows when they came to Vietnam. He said she owned the tours, she could sing, dance, do comedy
and when singing an aching, heart breaking version of White Christmas, the most hard core vets would weep.
While Raquel Welch was the big sex symbol she was one dimensional - ahem - while Connie was beloved.
Yep, I find it annoying when I look at someone on IMDB under their writing credits and for some inexplicable reason they also show their "creator" credit there as well, which of course means every dang episode of the show! :shock: Stupid!

So if you want to see what episodes Leonard Freeman actually wrote... good luck scrolling through ALL the episodes and trying to pick out those that have "(written by)" next to it. Again, no clue whose bright idea that was. :roll: Isn't that why they have separate sections for director, actor, producer, writer, and other categories? So then why clump writer and creator credits under the "writer" category?

Yep, guys like Anthony James and Timothy Carey and Strother Martin are a thing of the past. Nothing but well-manicured pretty boys nowadays. :( Is Bruce Dern still around with his wild white hair??? I've actually heard some compare Anthony James to Bruce Dern? But they're a dying breed for sure. Most are gone. James actually died not too long ago. I read somewhere that he was quite the talented painter, like Jack Lord was.

Mr. Mike
Commander

#48 Post by Mr. Mike »

There is another example of Hawaiian Eye/Hawaii Five-O cross-pollination.

One of the very worst H50 episodes is the season two offering "To Hell With Babe Ruth."

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log2.htm#25

Here is the plot:

https://fiveohomepage.com/season2/s02e02-plot.htm

Back on the main page, after reading the section which starts with "There are some interesting parallels...," click on the link in the first paragraph where it says "Hawaiian Eye" and you can see the earlier episode.

Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Mr. Mike wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:15 pm There is another example of Hawaiian Eye/Hawaii Five-O cross-pollination.

One of the very worst H50 episodes is the season two offering "To Hell With Babe Ruth."

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log2.htm#25

Here is the plot:

https://fiveohomepage.com/season2/s02e02-plot.htm

Back on the main page, after reading the section which starts with "There are some interesting parallels...," click on the link in the first paragraph where it says "Hawaiian Eye" and you can see the earlier episode.
So in this case one could say that Five-O scribe Anthony Lawrence "stole" this idea from the earlier writer who dreamed up this story for an episode of HAWAIIAN EYE. Like you said, the premise is too similar for it to be just a coincidence. I mean yeah Hawaii and Pearl Harbor go together like a glove. It's inevitable that both shows would have stories about Pearl Harbor. But the actual premise of a Japanese soldier reliving Pearl Harbor and trying to repeat it is hard to accept as just being a coincidence.

Mr. Mike
Commander

#50 Post by Mr. Mike »

I did mega-anal-ysis of the connection between the Hawaiian Eye violin episode and the one in Classic Five-O:

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log3.htm#53

Go down to the paragraph which starts with "Just like with S02E02..."

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mr. Mike wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:30 am I did mega-anal-ysis of the connection between the Hawaiian Eye violin episode and the one in Classic Five-O:
https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log3.htm#53
Go down to the paragraph which starts with "Just like with S02E02..."
James Rosin has many books/guides to TV series out.
I bought his Route 66 book because it was the only one out there, except for Robin Fletcher's "The Route 66 TV Series", which was so poorly written and riddled with errors a friend of mine
used it as an example in his writing class of a total train wreck. Nitwit editors and the publisher even more to blame than the hack writer.
Author Fletcher maintained that the then teen white actor Roger Mobley in ep. 81 grew up to be TC on Magnum PI, which will be news to Roger E. Mosley that he was "passing" as a young
actor in Hollywood.
Why am I bringing this up? Because your Hawaii 5-0 home page puts both Rosin's and Fletcher's cursory efforts to shame, and they got published.
Sorry if I am over stepping the mark or making you feel awkward, but both Rosin and Fletcher could learn from you, neither one was willing to do the hard yards and do some serious research.

I disagree with your comments about Connie Stevens.
She wasn't integral to the plot of most Hawaiian Eye episodes but she was excellent in the ones she was the focus of.
She was eye candy for the husbands while the wives were checking out the constantly shirtless Bob Conrad and the other 'hunks'.
Warner Brothers at the time was always looking for another revenue stream so they would push their actors into singing. Robert Conrad sang with much cheese in a few episodes to jump
start a music career, in a word - PU. His musical clips are on You Tube. 77 Sunset Strip's Roger Smith had much more success, Kookie as well.
So Connie sang in most every episode to sell records. Almost every song she did was from earlier Warner films/musicals. Thus when her albums sold the studio was getting a cut
of the profits every which way. Regardless, she knew how to put a song across and by the later seasons had evolved into a first rate "saloon singer" as Frank Sinatra would phrase it.

PS - Thanks for this at your site:
"Thanks to Luther's nephew Dobie on the Magnum-Mania H50 Forum for alerting me to the connection with Hawaiian Eye."
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:02 am Author Fletcher maintained that the then teen white actor Roger Mobley in ep. 81 grew up to be TC on Magnum PI, which will be news to Roger E. Mosley
I dunno... I thought Roger Mobley was great as T.C. And what about that fine black actor Marry Fanetti? He was great as Rick on MPI! :D

And don't even get me started on Hill Johnerman. He WAS the show!! :higgins:

Mr. Mike
Commander

#53 Post by Mr. Mike »

There is something very interesting about Hawaiian Eye at Wikipedia.

If you go to the main page, there is a link which leads here to a list of all the episodes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_H ... e_episodes

You will note that there are no links to the individual episodes.

BUT ... some time ago, there were links to pages for specific episodes, as if someone wanted to do this for the entire series. These links and the linked pages are no longer there, but some of them are at the Internet Archive.

This is a link from a page on my site to the former main "episode" page at the Internet Archive:

https://mjq.net/HawaiianEye/List%20of%2 ... pedia.html

If you click on the first episode on that page, Malihini Holiday, you will see the format that someone wanted to use, probably for all the episodes:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171017050 ... aiian_Eye)

This doesn't work for the second and third shows if you go back to the Internet Archive "episode" page and click on the links for those shows, but it does for the fourth show, All Expenses Paid:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170113012 ... enses_Paid

This is sort of similar to what I did for the late 50's detective show Peter Gunn:

https://petergunn.tv/gunn-season-one.htm

I have no idea why the current Wikipedia page for Hawaiian Eye didn't retain this more informative format. I think perhaps because the pages didn't have any references, they were canned as per the stern warning seen on one of the pages:

This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (May 2012)

Theoretically, there is information "underneath" the current Hawaiian Eye pages at Wikipedia where there should be a timeline of the history for the entries on the site to determine what happened, but I don't have the wherewithal to investigate that...

(P.S., thanks for your kind words above, Dobie...)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:03 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:02 am Author Fletcher maintained that the then teen white actor Roger Mobley in ep. 81 grew up to be TC on Magnum PI, which will be news to Roger E. Mosley
I dunno... I thought Roger Mobley was great as T.C. And what about that fine black actor Marry Fanetti? He was great as Rick on MPI! :D
And don't even get me started on Hill Johnerman. He WAS the show!! :higgins:
LOL!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Guys,
Gilbert Francis Lani Damian Kauhi aka Zulu played "Kono Kalakaua" on Hawaii 5-0.

Tonight  MeTV Plus they ran a  superior Hawaiian Eye episode, "Many Menehunes"(1-15-62), from season four.
Zulu appeared unbilled in several scenes as one of a crew of tough Hawaiians intent on saving a sacred area from development.
Donald "Don" Ho plays Kamaki the bulldozer operator.
The then mayor of Honolulu Neal Shaw Blaisdell also appears as himself, and there are on location shots at the airport and elsewhere.
So Warners actually did go to Hawaii to film some episodes contrary - once again! - to what has been written about this series, which explains local boy Zulu and the mayor appearing.

"Kupikio Kid", "Maybe Menehunes" and tomorrow's episode "Pretty Pigeon"(Kauai Surf Hotel) were definitely shot in Hawaii, as well as a Honolulu Airport scene a couple of episodes ago but
I forgot to note which episode it was.
There are 10 more episodes of season 4 to go on MeTV. I  haven't seen them yet but it will be interesting to see if they were all filmed in Hawaii as well.
Maybe it was a last gasp effort to save the series?

The ending of "Maybe Menehunes" - which are Hawaiian leprechauns - whimsically reveals that native Hawaiian Tom Lopaka(Robert Conrad) is in fact a Menehune.
I know, it sounds corny but it works.
Hey, Magnum had the episode with the Hawaiian mystic that ended with him having an other worldly gleam in his eye, and that was strictly off the cob.
Maybe it's the early AM hour but I can't recall that episode's name, a little help someone? Mahalo.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey Dobie. The episode was called "The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club" from Season 1.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:53 am Hi Guys,
Gilbert Francis Lani Damian Kauhi aka Zulu played "Kono Kalakaua" on Hawaii 5-0.

Tonight  MeTV Plus they ran a  superior Hawaiian Eye episode, "Many Menehunes"(1-15-62), from season four.
Zulu appeared unbilled in several scenes as one of a crew of tough Hawaiians intent on saving a sacred area from development.
Donald "Don" Ho does get a credit but apparently his part was edited out by MeTV Plus for more commercials.
The then mayor of Honolulu Neal Shaw Blaisdell also appears as himself, and there are on location shots at the airport and elsewhere.
So Warners actually did go to Hawaii to film some episodes contrary - once again! - to what has been written about this series, which explains local boy Zulu and the mayor appearing.

"Kupikio Kid", "Maybe Menehunes" and tomorrow's episode "Pretty Pigeon"(Kauai Surf Hotel) were definitely shot in Hawaii, as well as a Honolulu Airport scene a couple of episodes ago but
There are 10 more episodes of season 4 to go on MeTV. I  haven't seen them yet but it will be interesting to see if they were all filmed in Hawaii as well.

The ending of "Maybe Menehunes" - which are Hawaiian leprechauns - whimsically reveals that native Hawaiian Tom Lopaka(Robert Conrad) is in fact a Menehune.
Hey, Magnum had the episode with the Hawaiian mystic that ended with him having an other worldly gleam in his eye, and that was strictly off the cob.
Maybe it's the early AM hour but I can't recall that episode's name, a little help someone? Mahalo.
The producers did get some outside/exterior shots of some places in Hawaii to use in some episodes for “realism”...plus, some actors, such as Gilbert/Zulu & Douglas Mossman (who also later was in “5-0” as well) that were from Hawaii in real life went to Hollywood to get parts in things like Hawaiian Eye, as they knew they could add realism to the show. But, other than using some exterior shots of some locations, having the real life mayor have a cameo in an episode, and using some actors that were native to or were born in Hawaii...the “Eye” episodes were still filmed in Hollywood on back lots & sound stages. They were not entirely filmed on real life locations like “5-0” was.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:58 pm

The producers did get some outside/exterior shots of some places in Hawaii to use in some episodes for “realism”...plus, some actors, such as Gilbert/Zulu & Douglas Mossman (who also later was in “5-0” as well) that were from Hawaii in real life went to Hollywood to get parts in things like Hawaiian Eye, as they knew they could add realism to the show. But, other than using some exterior shots of some locations, having the real life mayor have a cameo in an episode, and using some actors that were native to or were born in Hawaii...the “Eye” episodes were still filmed in Hollywood on back lots & sound stages. They were not entirely filmed on real life locations like “5-0” was.
Hi MaiTaiMan,
You are correct as to all the episodes until we get to the middle of season 4. At least in my opinion so far pending more info.
It wasn't just establishing shots, but whole scenes were set at, for example, the Honolulu airport, with major players and the guest stars such as Andrew Duggan.
You know that famous clock they always show, it always springs to mind when films show the Japanese planes zooming past on Dec. 7, you could see it in the background
by happen chance.
I do get what you are saying, they took shots of Bob Conrad and other cast members driving down Hotel street and repeatedly inserted them where needed.
I can see Gilbert/Mossman being part of the Hawaiian Eye Hollywood company to lend flavor, but why would always frugal Warners import an unknown Zulu to CF to play
an unbilled bit part when they could hire that type right there in Hollywood and save airfare etc.
To me it would make sense to take advantage of being in Hawaii if you were already sending everyone over to film episode 15, "Pretty Pigeon".
Why not do major scenes -like the airport with Duggan - for episodes before and after, the cast/equipment being there.
And doing PR promotion for that with the local papers, which would include getting a cameo of the mayor.
Tonight's episode "Pretty Pigeon" is listed as "largely shot on location at the Kauai Surf Hotel, Kauai, Hawaii", according to IMDB.
I am happy to be corrected, but to me this looks like Warner deciding to do some major filming(you can do interiors back in CF) for a big publicity splash,
papers/TV in Hawaii and on the mainland covering for free, then you add in the mayor and Bob's your uncle, a win win for everyone.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 am Hey Dobie. The episode was called "The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club" from Season 1.
Thanks Terry.
Any truth to the rumor Saint Paddy sent some leprechauns from County Kerry to Hawaii to drive out the snakes, only they decided to stay
and became the Menehunes? I always thought Chin Ho Kelly had a bit of a brogue, even Wo Fat sounded vaguely like an Ulsterman.

By the way guys, I just heard Larry Storch passed on. His turns on "Car 54 Where Are You" were brilliant, and he carried "F Troop",
having most of the lines in any given episode.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:23 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:58 pm

Hi MaiTaiMan,
You are correct as to all the episodes until we get to the middle of season 4. At least in my opinion so far pending more info.
It wasn't just establishing shots, but whole scenes were set at, for example, the Honolulu airport, with major players and the guest stars such as Andrew Duggan.
You know that famous clock they always show, it always springs to mind when films show the Japanese planes zooming past on Dec. 7, you could see it in the background
by happen chance.
I do get what you are saying, they took shots of Bob Conrad and other cast members driving down Hotel street and repeatedly inserted them where needed.
I can see Gilbert/Mossman being part of the Hawaiian Eye Hollywood company to lend flavor, but why would always frugal Warners import an unknown Zulu to CF to play
an unbilled bit part when they could hire that type right there in Hollywood and save airfare etc.
To me it would make sense to take advantage of being in Hawaii if you were already sending everyone over to film episode 15, "Pretty Pigeon".
Why not do major scenes -like the airport with Duggan - for episodes before and after, the cast/equipment being there.
And doing PR promotion for that with the local papers, which would include getting a cameo of the mayor.
Tonight's episode "Pretty Pigeon" is listed as "largely shot on location at the Kauai Surf Hotel, Kauai, Hawaii", according to IMDB.
I am happy to be corrected, but to me this looks like Warner deciding to do some major filming(you can do interiors back in CF) for a big publicity splash,
papers/TV in Hawaii and on the mainland covering for free, then you add in the mayor and Bob's your uncle, a win win for everyone.
Interesting...perhaps right at the end Warner Bros. did try to be more realistic, with a few episodes actually being filmed in Hawaii? Maybe they were trying to save the show? :idea: I do think the majority of the interiors were filmed in Hollywood, back in CA. It’s been several years since I’ve watched Hawaiian Eye...I’ll have to get my DVD set out sometime soon and go through it again.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"