HAWAIIAN EYE

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: HAWAIIAN EYE

#61 Post by terryfromkerry »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:37 pm
terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 am Hey Dobie. The episode was called "The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club" from Season 1.
Thanks Terry.
Any truth to the rumor Saint Paddy sent some leprechauns from County Kerry to Hawaii to drive out the snakes, only they decided to stay
and became the Menehunes? I always thought Chin Ho Kelly had a bit of a brogue, even Wo Fat sounded vaguely like an Ulsterman.

By the way guys, I just heard Larry Storch passed on. His turns on "Car 54 Where Are You" were brilliant, and he carried "F Troop",
having most of the lines in any given episode.
Hey Dobie, Our historians and scholars have speculated on this very point down through the years. Usually over a few pints of Guinness and a few drops of Whiskey (without water obviously). Apparently there are no accurate records of these discussions other than some illegible scraws on the back of a beer mat . However the informed consensus is that some Leprechauns were indeed dispatched to the Sandwich Islands. I will digress here for a moment to add the Leprechaun community of the time preferred to be referred to as the "little people". Something of a stigma had developed and became associated with the term Leprechaun. This being due to the miserable fruitless activity of the general public searching for crocks of gold willy nilly under every rainbow. In any event getting back to the group despatched to the Sandwich Islands. Several months after setting off it is now believed the same group came ashore in Scotland
under the mistaken notion that they had reached their intended destination. Suffice to say that they were surprised and delighted to learn that the natives were of a Gaelic ilk and the language quite similar.
Considering the mission successfully completed our group of envoys settled and little more is known of this group. There's nothing of historic value to indicate any further voyages by our intrepid Saint or the little people to reach what is now known as Hawaii.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:35 am
terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 am Hey Dobie. The episode was called "The Curse Of The King Kamehameha Club" from Season 1.
Thanks Terry.
Any truth to the rumor Saint Paddy sent some leprechauns from County Kerry to Hawaii to drive out the snakes, only they decided to stay
and became the Menehunes? I always thought Chin Ho Kelly had a bit of a brogue, even Wo Fat sounded vaguely like an Ulsterman.

By the way guys, I just heard Larry Storch passed on. His turns on "Car 54 Where Are You" were brilliant, and he carried "F Troop",
having most of the lines in any given episode.
Hey Dobie, Our historians and scholars have speculated on this very point down through the years. Usually over a few pints of Guinness and a few drops of Whiskey (without water obviously). Apparently there are no accurate records of these discussions other than some illegible scraws on the back of a beer mat . However the informed consensus is that some Leprechauns were indeed dispatched to the Sandwich Islands. I will digress here for a moment to add the Leprechaun community of the time preferred to be referred to as the "little people". Something of a stigma had developed and became associated with the term Leprechaun. This being due to the miserable fruitless activity of the general public searching for crocks of gold willy nilly under every rainbow. In any event getting back to the group despatched to the Sandwich Islands. Several months after setting off it is now believed the same group came ashore in Scotland
under the mistaken notion that they had reached their intended destination. Suffice to say that they were surprised and delighted to learn that the natives were of a Gaelic ilk and the language quite similar.
Considering the mission successfully completed our group of envoys settled and little more is known of this group. There's nothing of historic value to indicate any further voyages by our intrepid Saint or the little people to reach what is now known as Hawaii.
I must point out that a few of these Leprechauns (or... ahem... "little people") made their way as far west as Virginia City where they encountered the legendary cowboy folk hero Hoss Cartwright!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by terryfromkerry »

:) Hey Ivan,
Possibly another well intentioned expedition :roll:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:35 am
Thanks Terry.
Never try to bandy words with an Irishman, they will top you every time. Great Post Terry, thanks for the laugh.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:27 am
The producers did get some outside/exterior shots of some places in Hawaii to use in some episodes for “realism”...plus, some actors, such as Gilbert/Zulu & Douglas Mossman (who also later was in “5-0” as well) that were from Hawaii in real life went to Hollywood to get parts in things like Hawaiian Eye, as they knew they could add realism to the show. But, other than using some exterior shots of some locations, having the real life mayor have a cameo in an episode, and using some actors that were native to or were born in Hawaii...the “Eye” episodes were still filmed in Hollywood on back lots & sound stages. They were not entirely filmed on real life locations like “5-0” was.
[/quote]

Hi MaiTaiMan,
You are correct as to all the episodes until we get to the middle of season 4. At least in my opinion so far pending more info.
It wasn't just establishing shots, but whole scenes were set at, for example, the Honolulu airport, with major players and the guest stars such as Andrew Duggan.
You know that famous clock they always show, it always springs to mind when films show the Japanese planes zooming past on Dec. 7, you could see it in the background
by happen chance.
I do get what you are saying, they took shots of Bob Conrad and other cast members driving down Hotel street and repeatedly inserted them where needed.
I can see Gilbert/Mossman being part of the Hawaiian Eye Hollywood company to lend flavor, but why would always frugal Warners import an unknown Zulu to CF to play
an unbilled bit part when they could hire that type right there in Hollywood and save airfare etc.
To me it would make sense to take advantage of being in Hawaii if you were already sending everyone over to film episode 15, "Pretty Pigeon".
Why not do major scenes -like the airport with Duggan - for episodes before and after, the cast/equipment being there.
And doing PR promotion for that with the local papers, which would include getting a cameo of the mayor.
Tonight's episode "Pretty Pigeon" is listed as "largely shot on location at the Kauai Surf Hotel, Kauai, Hawaii", according to IMDB.
I am happy to be corrected, but to me this looks like Warner deciding to do some major filming(you can do interiors back in CF) for a big publicity splash,
papers/TV in Hawaii and on the mainland covering for free, then you add in the mayor and Bob's your uncle, a win win for everyone.
[/quote]

Interesting...perhaps right at the end Warner Bros. did try to be more realistic, with a few episodes actually being filmed in Hawaii? Maybe they were trying to save the show? :idea: I do think the majority of the interiors were filmed in Hollywood, back in CA. It’s been several years since I’ve watched Hawaiian Eye...I’ll have to get my DVD set out sometime soon and go through it again.
[/quote]

Hi MaiTaiMan,
I agree with you that most all the interiors were done in LA, as well as the majority of exteriors.
The only bit of info that I could find today was a Facebook site, and since I am not a member I could only view the top 7 or 8 inchs of it.
The top said something about "Hawaiian Eye Classic TV -Stephen ONeill", not sure if that's the title or that's how this guys posts.
One person there said -
"Connie Stevens told Vicki Lawrence they filmed every 6 - 8 weeks in Hawaii"
but I go along with you, that can't apply to the first 3 seasons, maybe the last half of season 4?
I haven't seen the balance of season 4 yet, and still have to view the last 16 episodes of season one and the first 22 of season two.
So I am just a rookie fan here, and am loathe to declare something one way or another.
I don't want to sound like one of those casually informed fans that come to Magnum Mania and think it's just about cars, babes and beaches.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by terryfromkerry »

Cheers Dobie :lol:

Mr. Mike
Commander

Want to review this show, stalled already! :-)

#67 Post by Mr. Mike »

I got all excited about Hawaiian Eye, and thought for a few moments of doing "anal-ysis" for this like I have for other TV shows.

BUT ... there are big problems, because the copies of shows I have are cut, especially in the first two seasons. (Apparently Warner Archive ran this show streaming on their site a few years ago [not all episodes though, because of music rights issues], but no one seems to have captured these and uploaded them to the usual Usenet and other sites ... as if those shows would be "complete" or "more complete." The copies I have of most of these shows, some -- if not all -- of which came from the GoodLife TV network, date back at least 10 years or more.)

You can see a list of these "commonly available" dubs of Hawaiian Eye (many of which have really bad quality) here:

https://mjq.net/HawaiianEye/times.jpg

Those are the ones that I have.

Anyway, I watched the first show, which seemed to make sense, but the second one made no sense at all. Both of these were around 45-46 minutes, whereas seasons 3-4 (similar to Hawaii Five-O in its early seasons) were around 51 minutes or a bit more. Obviously something was cut out of the second show, and probably the first one too.

I had already dealt with the third show, which is very similar to the very bad Five-O episode To Hell With Babe Ruth, so that was not difficult to write up. In the version of this show that I have, Connie Stevens does NOT sing, which probably accounted for a few minutes of time, assuming she did sing in the show.

Here are the reviews that I have done of the first three shows:

https://mjq.net/HawaiianEye/HawaiianEye-1.htm

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by MaiTaiMan »

The set I have also has some Goodlife network copies...most are in very good condition. However, there are several episodes in the set that are uncut/unedited original ABC airings...complete with original commercials. Those are awesome & most are in good condition for how old they are! There are a few “rough” episodes that are not as good of condition as the others (both for the Goodlife versions & the original airings)...but they’re still watchable nonetheless.

No episodes have sadly ever been digitally remastered...but the sets out there are what’s available, all episodes are included (no missing ones), and for the most part the episodes are definitely in good condition to watch & enjoy for collectors and fans of older TV shows. The dream set would be original uncut airings digitally remastered to DVD & Blu-ray...but, for whatever reasons I sadly don’t think that’s going to happen. I’m grateful we have what we have! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hawaiian Eye Notes -

After asking for a raise, Connie Stevens was suspended by Warner Brothers during season 4, from episode 12 thru episode 19.
She came back for episodes 20, 21, and 22, though missing 23 and the last one, number 24, the putative series ender.

While Connie and her "Cricket Blake" character were in exile, the folks back on the set sent her a not so subtle hint, referencing her 'replacement' Tina Cole,
who did a credible job as singer/information desk hostess Sunny Day. Pretty Tina was a fine singer, you probably recall her best as Robbie's wife on My Three Sons.
In "Boar Hunt", real life HPD cop Sterling Mossman and his band The Barefoot Boys appeared and no doubt at Warner's request changed a lyric in their snappy song "There's No Place Like Hawaii":

Cricket Blake is not in town
But there are a lot of chicks around
Oh there's no place like Hawaii

For all practical purposes the series last episode was the 23rd of the season, "The Sisters" with regulars Greg McKenzie, Lt. Danny Quon, Kim the cabbie and Moke.
No sign of Bob Conrad or Connie Stevens.

Episode 24, "Passport", was generic filler meant to complete the contracted for 24 episodes, only regulars Greg McKenzie and Moke appearing in this Hollywood and Japan set drama.
Perhaps by then the Hawaiian Eye sets in Burbank were already being struck.
Ever reliable Gerald Mohr gives his usual excellent performance as a mug on the lam from the mob after stealing 100 grand from them.
Greg has the last words in the series,
"if you don't think dawn comes up like thunder, Mrs. Osgood, just wait till you hear it."

After having viewed this series twice, I can confidently state there are in fact 4 episodes filmed in Hawaii, one has only to see the actors in on location scenes to confirm that.
The four episodes -

Season 4 Episode 13 - "Kupikio Kid." Kupikio means restless.

Season 4 Episode 14 - "Maybe Menehunes" with Don Ho and Zulu(Hawaii Five-0's Kono). The last whimsical scene reveals Tom Lopaka(Bob Conrad) is actually a Menehune, the Hawaiian version of
leprechauns though he doesn't wear a green hat, jacket and vest with pointed shoes. This episode also features a cameo by Honolulu mayor Neal Blaisdell.

Season 4 Episode 15 - "Pretty Pigeon" was filmed at the Kauai Surf Hotel.

Season 4 Episode 17 - "Boar Hunt" was also filmed at the Kauai Surf Hotel, with guest star George Montgomery who gives a excellent performance.

Actor but then beach bum surfer and Hawaii native Don Stroud was Troy Donahue's stunt double. His uncle, actor Claude Stroud played "Mr. Millford" in the last episode.
Hawaiian Eye PI Greg McKenzie was played by Grant Williams. Best known for The Incredible Shrinking Man(1957), he died in 1985 at 53.
He appeared in a total of 50 Hawaiian Eye episodes.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#70 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:37 am Hawaiian Eye Notes -

After asking for a raise, Connie Stevens was suspended by Warner Brothers during season 4, from episode 12 thru episode 19.
She came back for episodes 20, 21, and 22, though missing 23 and the last one, number 24, the putative series ender.

While Connie and her "Cricket Blake" character were in exile, the folks back on the set sent her a not so subtle hint, referencing her 'replacement' Tina Cole,
who did a credible job as singer/information desk hostess Sunny Day. Pretty Tina was a fine singer, you probably recall her best as Robbie's wife on My Three Sons.
In "Boar Hunt", real life HPD cop Sterling Mossman and his band The Barefoot Boys appeared and no doubt at Warner's request changed a lyric in their snappy song "There's No Place Like Hawaii":

For all practical purposes the series last episode was the 23rd of the season, "The Sisters" with regulars Greg McKenzie, Lt. Danny Quon, Kim the cabbie and Moke.

Episode 24, "Passport", was generic filler meant to complete the contracted for 24 episodes, only regulars Greg McKenzie and Moke appearing in this Hollywood and Japan set drama.
Ever reliable Gerald Mohr gives his usual excellent performance as a mug on the lam from the mob after stealing 100 grand from them.
"if you don't think dawn comes up like thunder, Mrs. Osgood, just wait till you hear it."

After having viewed this series twice, I can confidently state there are in fact 4 episodes filmed in Hawaii, one has only to see the actors in on location scenes to confirm that.
The four episodes -

Season 4 Episode 14 - "Maybe Menehunes" with Don Ho and Zulu(Hawaii Five-0's Kono). The last whimsical scene reveals Tom Lopaka(Bob Conrad) is actually a Menehune, the Hawaiian version of
leprechauns though he doesn't wear a green hat, jacket and vest with pointed shoes. This episode also features a cameo by Honolulu mayor Neal Blaisdell.

Season 4 Episode 17 - "Boar Hunt" was also filmed at the Kauai Surf Hotel, with guest star George Montgomery who gives a excellent performance.

Actor but then beach bum surfer and Hawaii native Don Stroud was Troy Donahue's stunt double. His uncle, actor Claude Stroud played "Mr. Millford" in the last episode.
Hawaiian Eye PI Greg McKenzie was played by Grant Williams. Best known for The Incredible Shrinking Man(1957), he died in 1985 at 53.
The last season, from what I’ve read before, was kind of chaotic anyway. They brought in Troy Donahue (after Surfside 6 had been cancelled), and I’ve heard he and Connie Stevens did not get along that great. So there was some behind the scenes drama going on.

Also, there may have been some scenes and/or outside locations that they decided to actually film in Hawaii at that time...maybe hoping a little realism would save the show? But, for the majority of the series, it was filmed on sound stages at the Warner Bros lot in Burbank. The first TV series to actually film entirely on real-life location in Hawaii, was the original Hawaii Five-0 (1968-1980)...and Douglas Mossman was periodically in as well.

This part is just my opinion, but I did not like Sunny Day...I was glad Cricket came back for the end. Warner Bros TV was known for a while, for not wanting to have to pay main stars that much...then try to get rid of them and/or scare them into accepting their terms by firing them for a while if they tried to get a salary raise. It usually didn’t work and a compromise had to be reached...to bring back the star to appease fans. :wink:

Lastly...although he guest starred in many different things over the years, I will always think of Don Stroud as ‘Jimmy Joy’...the psychotic drug dealer from the 2-Part premiere of the last season of Charlie’s Angels (the Tanya Roberts season), lol! :lol: It’s the first thing I remember seeing him in. :P
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#71 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:31 am

The four episodes -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MaiTaiMan wrote:
The last season, from what I’ve read before, was kind of chaotic anyway. They brought in Troy Donahue (after Surfside 6 had been cancelled), and I’ve heard he and Connie Stevens did not get along that great. So there was some behind the scenes drama going on.

Also, there may have been some scenes and/or outside locations that they decided to actually film in Hawaii at that time...maybe hoping a little realism would save the show? But, for the majority of the series, it was filmed on sound stages at the Warner Bros lot in Burbank. The first TV series to actually film entirely on real-life location in Hawaii, was the original Hawaii Five-0 (1968-1980)...and Douglas Mossman was periodically in as well.

This part is just my opinion, but I did not like Sunny Day...I was glad Cricket came back for the end. Warner Bros TV was known for a while, for not wanting to have to pay main stars that much...then try to get rid of them and/or scare them into accepting their terms by firing them for a while if they tried to get a salary raise. It usually didn’t work and a compromise had to be reached...to bring back the star to appease fans. :wink:

Lastly...although he guest starred in many different things over the years, I will always think of Don Stroud as ‘Jimmy Joy’...the psychotic drug dealer from the 2-Part premiere of the last season of Charlie’s Angels (the Tanya Roberts season), lol! :lol: It’s the first thing I remember seeing him in. :P
Hi MaiTaiMan,
I don't think I have ever seen much of Troy Donahue - except in an earlier Hawaiian Eye episode and on 77 Sunset Strip - before he became a cast member in season 4.
I thought he was miscast as he was rather stiff, when this was supposed to be a fun and sexy cast in a exciting locale, the paradise of Hawaii.
If he and Connie didn't get along, maybe thats why his kissing scenes with Connie had no passion, when Connie at the time was a certifiable "9"(no such thing as a "10", unless it's a "9" that owns a bar).
Yes I know he was gay but Rock Hudson's scenes with Susan Saint James sparkled and were part of the recipe that made McMillan & Wife a hit.

As for "behind the scenes drama" Grant Williams had a drinking problem and once said something way out of line to one of his co-stars, when he showed up still
juiced from the night before. Apparently this resulted in a fight but Warners exes swooped in and hushed everything up while suspending the deeply
religious Williams for a few episodes. Hopefully he didn't try it on with Robert Conrad.

I get you not liking Sunny Day as I am a Cricket/Connie rooter myself and would resent anyone trying to take her place. But Sunny could belt out a song, though Connie had charisma to spare
and the camera loved her.

Don Stroud fan, eh? He is one of the great character actors - and a real life tough guy - but Hollywood no longer develops favorites like him or Strother Martin.
Actors whom the public can't name but will say "hey, it's that guy" and look forward to their turn in whatever they are watching.
That's a big reason why I enjoy shows like Hawaii Five-O or Mannix, with David Wayne, Brenda Scott, Slim Pickens, Diana Sands, Ross Martin, James Wong, Yaphett Kotto,
Claude Atkins, Yvonne Craig etc.
But back to Hawaiian Eye before I go too far afield.

It was parodied by 3 period cartoons back when -
1) Beanie and Cecil - "Hawaiian Eyeball" (found only one reference to this, not sure 100% it exists)
2) The Flintstones - "Hawaiian Escapade" (1962) Betty and Wilma win a trip to Honolulu courtesy of their favorite show, "Hawaiian Spy".
3) Sylvester and Tweety Bird in "Hawaiian Aye Aye" (1964)

The cast reunited for a 1983 Family Feud, "Gilligan's Island vs Hawaiian Eye".

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:20 am

The four episodes -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi MaiTaiMan,
I don't think I have ever seen much of Troy Donahue - except in an earlier Hawaiian Eye episode and on 77 Sunset Strip - before he became a cast member in season 4.
I thought he was miscast as he was rather stiff, when this was supposed to be a fun and sexy cast in a exciting locale, the paradise of Hawaii.
If he and Connie didn't get along, maybe thats why his kissing scenes with Connie had no passion, when Connie at the time was a certifiable "9"(no such thing as a "10", unless it's a "9" that owns a bar).
Yes I know he was gay but Rock Hudson's scenes with Susan Saint James sparkled and were part of the recipe that made McMillan & Wife a hit.

As for "behind the scenes drama" Grant Williams had a drinking problem and once said something way out of line to one of his co-stars, when he showed up still
juiced from the night before. Apparently this resulted in a fight but Warners exes swooped in and hushed everything up while suspending the deeply
religious Williams for a few episodes. Hopefully he didn't try it on with Robert Conrad.

I get you not liking Sunny Day as I am a Cricket/Connie rooter myself and would resent anyone trying to take her place. But Sunny could belt out a song, though Connie had charisma to spare

Don Stroud fan, eh? He is one of the great character actors - and a real life tough guy - but Hollywood no longer develops favorites like him or Strother Martin.
Actors whom the public can't name but will say "hey, it's that guy" and look forward to their turn in whatever they are watching.
That's a big reason why I enjoy shows like Hawaii Five-O or Mannix, with David Wayne, Brenda Scott, Slim Pickens, Diana Sands, Ross Martin, James Wong, Yaphett Kotto,

Tanya Roberts? She can do no wrong in my eyes, wow.

1) Beanie and Cecil - "Hawaiian Eyeball" (found only one reference to this, not sure 100% it exists)
2) The Flintstones - "Hawaiian Escapade" (1962) Betty and Wilma win a trip to Honolulu courtesy of their favorite show, "Hawaiian Spy".

Yeah, Troy first starred in Surfside 6, which was the 2nd spin-off “idea” from 77 Sunset Strip...the 1st being Hawaiian Eye. Neither were direct spin-offs, although “Eye” had some crossovers with “77” at first. Later when “Surfside” was cancelled Warner Bros had Donahue come on “Eye” during its last season. I liked Troy Donahue, and have seen him in several things...but, no, the chemistry between him & Cricket just wasn’t there.

I have seen the 1983 reunion on Family Feud...it was cool seeing several of the cast together again! :D I Love and have both Hawaii Five-0 and Mannix—superb shows with many great guest stars & character actors—including many of the ones you listed! But, with Don Stroud, every time I saw him in something, I’m: “Hey, it’s Jimmy Joy!”, lol!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#73 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:20 am

The four episodes -

MaiTaiMan wrote:

Hi MaiTaiMan,

Hey Dobie,
One of my favorite things is to search out character actors from the 60’s, 70’s, etc… and see their performances in TV series of the era. There were many such excellent actors who worked routinely. I will DVR anything I find with Anthony Zerbe, Jessica Walter, Barry Sullivan, Joe Santos, Joyce Van Patten, Pat Hingle, Joanna Pettet, and others.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#74 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:10 am

Hey Dobie,
One of my favorite things is to search out character actors from the 60’s, 70’s, etc… and see their performances in TV series of the era. There were many such excellent actors who worked routinely. I will DVR anything I find with Anthony Zerbe, Jessica Walter, Barry Sullivan, Joe Santos, Joyce Van Patten, Pat Hingle, Joanna Pettet, and others.
Ah yes. Anthony Zerbe.

MATTHIAS, MATTHIAS!!!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#75 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Chris109 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:10 am

Hey Dobie,
Ah yes. Anthony Zerbe.
MATTHIAS, MATTHIAS!!!

I understand the second season of Harry O is considered to be not quite as good as season one, but I loved Anthony Zerbe in season two as Harry's friend/foe.
He and David Janssen had great chemistry together, Zerbe winning an Emmy.

Both Hawaiian Eye and 77 Sunset Strip had loads of familiar character actors, some before they became better known in the later 60's and 70's.
And of course their rosters of beautiful guest actresses is probably second only to Burke's Law. Decades ran Burke's Law this weekend and
in it's first two seasons it packed in more big stars than, well, you can see for yourself, it's on You Tube.
It was changed into a "spy" series in it's third and last season, even star Gene Barry labeled it awful, the change one of the stupidest decisions in TV history.
However the first 2 seasons are very entertaining with offbeat casting - Paul Lynde a murderer for one. And featuring one of the all time best themes.

By the by Robert Wagner was supposed to star in Hawaiian Eye as the half Hawaiian Tom Lopaka but eventually passed, recommending they try out his
buddy Robert Conrad. Warners hired Conrad in part because of his then very dark complexion, fitting for the Lopaka character.
In reality the out of work Conrad had been bumming around on the California beaches for the past year, hence the deep tan which got him his big break.