Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: HAWAIIAN EYE

#76 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:20 am
Chris109 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:10 am

Hey Dobie,
One of my favorite things is to search out character actors from the 60’s, 70’s, etc… and see their performances in TV series of the era. There were many such excellent actors who worked routinely. I will DVR anything I find with Anthony Zerbe, Jessica Walter, Barry Sullivan, Joe Santos, Joyce Van Patten, Pat Hingle, Joanna Pettet, and others.
Ah yes. Anthony Zerbe.
MATTHIAS, MATTHIAS!!!

I understand the second season of Harry O is considered to be not quite as good as season one, but I loved Anthony Zerbe in season two as Harry's friend/foe.
He and David Janssen had great chemistry together, Zerbe winning an Emmy.

Both Hawaiian Eye and 77 Sunset Strip had loads of familiar character actors, some before they became better known in the later 60's and 70's.
And of course their rosters of beautiful guest actresses is probably second only to Burke's Law. Decades ran Burke's Law this weekend and
in it's first two seasons it packed in more big stars than, well, you can see for yourself, it's on You Tube.
It was changed into a "spy" series in it's third and last season, even star Gene Barry labeled it awful, the change one of the stupidest decisions in TV history.
However the first 2 seasons are very entertaining with offbeat casting - Paul Lynde a murderer for one. And featuring one of the all time best themes.

By the by Robert Wagner was supposed to star in Hawaiian Eye as the half Hawaiian Tom Lopaka but eventually passed, recommending they try out his
buddy Robert Conrad. Warners hired Conrad in part because of his then very dark complexion, fitting for the Lopaka character.
In reality the out of work Conrad had been bumming around on the California beaches for the past year, hence the deep tan which got him his big break.
Zerbe actually started a little over half way through season one when production moved from San Diego back to LA where the pilots were filmed. He’s excellent in those first episodes and was deserving of the Emmy that followed. I really like Sound of Trumpets, Lester, and For the Love of Money, which is his debut as Trench.

Great story about Conrad! My father was a big fan of both The Wild, Wild West and Black Sheep Squadron… and with one TV in the house as a child of the 70’s, I became a fan too! :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hawaiian Eye Notes.

I think I will blow my own horn a tad - toot toot - and say the below is much more inclusive than all other such lists I have run across.
On the other hand it may just indicate I have too much time on my hands. Hey Pahonu, you still got Pam Anderson's number from your time on Baywatch? I am free on Saturday.

WARNER BROTHERS CROSSOVER SERIES

Hawaiian Eye cast on 77 Sunset Strip episodes

(#35) "Only Zeroes Count" - Robert Conrad and Poncie Ponce

(#53) "Who Killed Cock Robin" - Robert Conrad

(#67) "Perfect Setup" - Anthony Eisley, Connie Stevens and Poncie Ponce

(#78) "Double Trouble" - Robert Conrad

(#85) "The Dresden Doll" - Connie Stevens, Robert Conrad, Poncie Ponce and Anthony Eisley

(#159) "Shadow on Your Shoulder" - Robert Conrad and Poncie Ponce

(#164) "The Tarnished Idol" - Jeff Spencer orders J.R. to call Tom Lopaka(Conrad) in Hawaii, for info. Lopaka not shown, unless he was edited out for syndication.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
77 Sunset Strip cast on Hawaiian Eye episodes:

(#1) "Malihini Holiday" - Efrem Zimbalist

(#34) "I Wed Three Lives" - Efrem Zimbalist and Roger Smith

(#46) "Swan Song For a Hero" - Rex Randolph(Richard Long) and Kookie(Edd Brynes), who is in end credits only, perhaps edited out?

#107 "Among The Living" - Kookie
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bourbon Street characters on 77 Sunset Strip episodes:

The 4th season episode "Upbeat"( sequel to number 31 "Downbeat"), features now New Orleans police detective Cal Calhoun, played by Andrew Duggan.
He had been partners in a PI firm with Rex Randolph - played by Richard Long - but had now returned to the N.O.P.D., their previous adventures seen in the TV series Bourbon Street Beat.
Stuart Bailey mentions to Calhoun that he "inherited" his old partner Rex Randolph, who had mentioned his name.
Richard Long's Rex Randolph character was on season three only and by the time of this 4th season episode had left 77 Sunset Strip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surfside Six characters on 77 Sunset Strip -

In the "Hot Tamale Caper", Sandy Winfield(Troy Donahue) and Kenny Madison(Van Williams) do some investigating in Florida as a favor for Spencer and Bailey back in LA.

In return, Kookie(Edd Byrnes) and Jeff Spencer(Roger Smith) appear on the Surfside Six episode "Love Song for a Deadly Redhead".

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:44 am Hawaiian Eye Notes.

I think I will blow my own horn a tad - toot toot - and say the below is much more inclusive than all other such lists I have run across.
On the other hand it may just indicate I have too much time on my hands. Hey Pahonu, you still got Pam Anderson's number from your time on Baywatch? I am free on Saturday.

(#85) "The Dresden Doll" - Connie Stevens, Robert Conrad, Poncie Ponce and Anthony Eisley

(#164) "The Tarnished Idol" - Jeff Spencer orders J.R. to call Tom Lopaka(Conrad) in Hawaii, for info. Lopaka not shown, unless he was edited out for syndication.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(#46) "Swan Song For a Hero" - Rex Randolph(Richard Long) and Kookie(Edd Brynes), who is in end credits only, perhaps edited out?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 4th season episode "Upbeat"( sequel to number 31 "Downbeat"), features now New Orleans police detective Cal Calhoun, played by Andrew Duggan.
He had been partners in a PI firm with Rex Randolph - played by Richard Long - but had now returned to the N.O.P.D., their previous adventures seen in the TV series Bourbon Street Beat.
Stuart Bailey mentions to Calhoun that he "inherited" his old partner Rex Randolph, who had mentioned his name.
Richard Long's Rex Randolph character was on season three only and by the time of this 4th season episode had left 77 Sunset Strip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the "Hot Tamale Caper", Sandy Winfield(Troy Donahue) and Kenny Madison(Van Williams) do some investigating in Florida as a favor for Spencer and Bailey back in LA.

In return, Kookie(Edd Byrnes) and Jeff Spencer(Roger Smith) appear on the Surfside Six episode "Love Song for a Deadly Redhead".
Yeah, there were crossovers on all the shows at one time or another...although “Bourbon” only lasted 1 season. I have all the Warner Bros detective shows (“77”, “Eye”, and “Surfside”), except “Bourbon”. I really wish they’d all get official DVD releases!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#79 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:55 am

Yeah, there were crossovers on all the shows at one time or another...although “Bourbon” only lasted 1 season. I have all the Warner Bros detective shows (“77”, “Eye”, and “Surfside”), except “Bourbon”. I really wish they’d all get official DVD releases!
MaiTai,
What is your opinion of Surfside Six? Is it worth buying a bootleg of it? Was there a marked difference between it and 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye?
I saw two episodes but that was a long time ago, when TVLAND would once a year on a weekend run 2 episodes of series from the same period, so you could
see Surfside Six followed by Hawaiian Eye and Naked City, Route 66. Now it's just another network, with no interest in TV history or overlooked great
vintage TV series.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:30 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:55 am

MaiTai,
What is your opinion of Surfside Six? Is it worth buying a bootleg of it? Was there a marked difference between it and 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye?
I saw two episodes but that was a long time ago, when TVLAND would once a year on a weekend run 2 episodes of series from the same period, so you could
see Surfside Six followed by Hawaiian Eye and Naked City, Route 66. Now it's just another network, with no interest in TV history or overlooked great
vintage TV series.
The love them all (except “Bourbon”...since it lasted only 1 season, I didn’t see the point of trying to obtain a copy of it)! I have bootleg DVDs of “77”, “Eye”, and “Surfside”. Now, between those 3, I probably like “Eye” best...but I like tropical and/or beach locations best. :wink: “77” is definitely my next favorite, and it was first and lasted longest. “Surfside” was fun, too, but it’s the “cheesiest” of those 3. It only lasted 2 seasons, but back then they filmed almost twice as many episodes as shows today. So, there’s almost enough to qualify as 3 seasons. I love ‘em all and truly wish they’d get official DVD releases!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

For me the late 50s and early 60s on television (as far as dramas go) are all about westerns. Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Have Gun Will Travel, Wanted: Dead or Alive, etc. When it comes to detective/cop/PI shows that's what the late 60s and 70s are all about. Five-O, Mannix, Ironside, Columbo, Streets of San Fran, Kojak, etc.

I know we had things other than westerns in the late 50s, like Perry Mason, Peter Gunn, The Untouchables, as well as the WB series that you guys are talking about, but for some reason I was never drawn to them (though admittedly I've never seen any of the 3 that you guys are discussing). But I feel like that decade belonged to the westerns and TV wasn't ready for private dicks yet. :wink: Had to wait another 10 years for private eyes, gumshoes, and cops to get really good. :) And to see them in living color. :) Could you imagine Hawaii Five-O in black and white? :?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#82 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:58 pm For me the late 50s and early 60s on television (as far as dramas go) are all about westerns. Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Have Gun Will Travel, Wanted: Dead or Alive, etc. When it comes to detective/cop/PI shows that's what the late 60s and 70s are all about. Five-O, Mannix, Ironside, Columbo, Streets of San Fran, Kojak, etc.

I know we had things other than westerns in the late 50s, like Perry Mason, Peter Gunn, The Untouchables, as well as the WB series that you guys are talking about, but for some reason I was never drawn to them (though admittedly I've never seen any of the 3 that you guys are discussing). But I feel like that decade belonged to the westerns and TV wasn't ready for private dicks yet. :wink: Had to wait another 10 years for private eyes, gumshoes, and cops to get really good. :) And to see them in living color. :) Could you imagine Hawaii Five-O in black and white? :?
I have never been a huge fan of westerns, although I used to watch some reruns of the Rifleman and Bonanza when I was little. I like the dramas & detective/cop/mystery shows best. The 50s really awesomely started that genre with shows such as Perry Mason, Peter Gunn, 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, etc... Of course later everything was in color (the 1966-67 season all of television officially went to color), but the earlier B&W shows had their own style and captivation...very noirish. I have a good portion of the cop/detective/mystery shows from the 50s-present...although there’s a few more modern ones I don’t care for. I have all the past ones you listed, except Columbo...sorry, I can’t stand him. But, that’s just me. :wink:

Fleet Admiral

#83 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:32 pm Of course later everything was in color (the 1966-67 season all of television officially went to color)
Do you know what the story here was? Seems like a good chunk of television got the switchover to color during the 1965-1966 season (Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, Man from UNCLE, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, etc.) and many new shows during that season also debuted in color, like The Big Valley, Hogan's Heroes, Get Smart, I Spy, Green Acres, etc. While other new shows still debuted in B&W like The Wild, Wild West, I Dream of Jeannie and wouldn't switch to color until the following season. Other previously existing shows didn't switch to color until the following 1966-1967 season, like Gunsmoke, Bewitched, The Fugitive, etc. I guess I was looking for a pattern like were all these shows that got an earlier switch on one network vs. the others which were on a different network? But that's not the case. It seems random. Some CBS shows got the switch in 1965-1966 while others got it in 1966-1967. Gilligan's Island and Gunsmoke were both on CBS. Gilligan switched in 65-66 while Gunsmoke switched in 66-67. Was wondering if anyone knew what the story behind this was.

I did notice that 2 NBC westerns (Bonanza and The Virginian) both debuted in color long before television switched to color. Bonanza in 1959-1960 and The Virginian in 1962-1963.
I have all the past ones you listed, except Columbo...sorry, I can’t stand him. But, that’s just me. :wink:
Lol, I never knew Columbo was so divisive. :lol: Actually I used to think there wasn't a soul alive who didn't find him endearing and funny. Kinda like Barney Fife - how can you NOT like him???? But recently it seems I've noticed a few folks who can't stand him. So it seems like folks either love him (most calling him one of the greatest TV characters of all time) or hate him. I haven't seen too many in-betweens (meh, don't care either way).

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I did notice that 2 NBC westerns (Bonanza and The Virginian) both debuted in color long before television switched to color. Bonanza in 1959-1960 and The Virginian in 1962-1963.
NBC always had more shows in color than CBS and ABC. That' s why they used the colorful Peacock as their logo. NBC was owned by RCA and they wanted to sell color TVs so they had to make some color programming to convince people to buy a new TV.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:55 pm
MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:32 pm Of course later everything was in color (the 1966-67 season all of television officially went to color)
Do you know what the story here was? Seems like a good chunk of television got the switchover to color during the 1965-1966 season (Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, Man from UNCLE, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, etc.) and many new shows during that season also debuted in color, like The Big Valley, Hogan's Heroes, Get Smart, I Spy, Green Acres, etc. While other new shows still debuted in B&W like The Wild, Wild West, I Dream of Jeannie and wouldn't switch to color until the following season. Other previously existing shows didn't switch to color until the following 1966-1967 season, like Gunsmoke, Bewitched, The Fugitive, etc. I guess I was looking for a pattern like were all these shows that got an earlier switch on one network vs. the others which were on a different network? But that's not the case. It seems random. Some CBS shows got the switch in 1965-1966 while others got it in 1966-1967. Gilligan's Island and Gunsmoke were both on CBS. Gilligan switched in 65-66 while Gunsmoke switched in 66-67. Was wondering if anyone knew what the story behind this was.

I have all the past ones you listed, except Columbo...sorry, I can’t stand him. But, that’s just me. :wink:
Lol, I never knew Columbo was so divisive. :lol: Actually I used to think there wasn't a soul alive who didn't find him endearing and funny. Kinda like Barney Fife - how can you NOT like him???? But recently it seems I've noticed a few folks who can't stand him. So it seems like folks either love him (most calling him one of the greatest TV characters of all time) or hate him. I haven't seen too many in-betweens (meh, don't care either way).
The story is by the mid 60s a lot of shows were starting to go to color, but not all. It originally was because color was more expensive. But, by the mid 60s it wasn’t that much more. The 1965-1966 season they had the shows that were still in B&W do one episode in color, to see what they would look like...as the networks had already decided that the next season (1966-67) would go to all color. Anything previously still in B&W would now be in color. Perry Mason was one show they did that with...there was one episode in color, while the remaining 9 episodes that season were once again in B&W. However, it ultimately was cancelled at the end of that season...and did not return for the 66-67 one. So, other than that one episode, it never got to be in color, until the revival TV movie series in the 80s & 90s.

Sorry, Columbo annoyed the heck out of me...same clothes/trench coat every single episode & took forever to say what he needed to...I’m like, just say it!! :shock: Lol. :P

Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:18 pm The story is by the mid 60s a lot of shows were starting to go to color, but not all. It originally was because color was more expensive. But, by the mid 60s it wasn’t that much more. The 1965-1966 season they had the shows that were still in B&W do one episode in color, to see what they would look like...as the networks had already decided that the next season (1966-67) would go to all color. Anything previously still in B&W would now be in color. Perry Mason was one show they did that with...there was one episode in color, while the remaining 9 episodes that season were once again in B&W. However, it ultimately was cancelled at the end of that season...and did not return for the 66-67 one. So, other than that one episode, it never got to be in color, until the revival TV movie series in the 80s & 90s.
Dick Van Dyke Show and Rawhide were 2 other shows for which 1965-1966 was the last season. Did they also have one color episode in their final season? What about Addams Family and The Munsters? Both also didn't go past the 65-66 season.
Sorry, Columbo annoyed the heck out of me...same clothes/trench coat every single episode & took forever to say what he needed to...I’m like, just say it!! :shock: Lol. :P
Haha, but that was part of the charm. If he spit things out right away it would be booooring. :P :) Playing with his suspects was what made it fun. Watching them underestimate him. Letting their guard down. Him dogging them around. Then him snapping the trap on them at the end. Classic! Also the idea of showing us who the murderer was at the very start was a very clever move and very original. Not a whodunit but a how-done-it.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by MaiTaiMan »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:01 am
MaiTaiMan wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:18 pm The story is by the mid 60s a lot of shows were starting to go to color, but not all. It originally was because color was more expensive. But, by the mid 60s it wasn’t that much more. The 1965-1966 season they had the shows that were still in B&W do one episode in color, to see what they would look like...as the networks had already decided that the next season (1966-67) would go to all color. Anything previously still in B&W would now be in color. Perry Mason was one show they did that with...there was one episode in color, while the remaining 9 episodes that season were once again in B&W. However, it ultimately was cancelled at the end of that season...and did not return for the 66-67 one. So, other than that one episode, it never got to be in color, until the revival TV movie series in the 80s & 90s.
Dick Van Dyke Show and Rawhide were 2 other shows for which 1965-1966 was the last season. Did they also have one color episode in their final season? What about Addams Family and The Munsters? Both also didn't go past the 65-66 season.
Haha, but that was part of the charm. If he spit things out right away it would be booooring. :P :) Playing with his suspects was what made it fun. Watching them underestimate him. Letting their guard down. Him dogging them around. Then him snapping the trap on them at the end. Classic! Also the idea of showing us who the murderer was at the very start was a very clever move and very original. Not a whodunit but a how-done-it.
I’m actually not sure about those other shows...but I’m assuming they would have had a color episode the 1965-66 season if they were still B&W at that point. I have & have watched a documentary on Perry Mason, that talks about the B&W shows during that season doing a color episode to see what they would look like, if they came back the next season...1966-67, which would be now completely in color. However, not all shows returned.

I’m sorry, Columbo was annoying, too goofy, boring, and just not my kind of crime fighter. But, that’s just me. :P

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#88 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Thank you 308Guy for creating this thread.

The first time I watch a TV series I try to take it on it's own terms and hope I will be entertained.
If it's worthwhile, the second time through I try breaking down what the writers/director did to put the story over.
Plus searching for the trivial aspects, because I enjoy nonsense, such as looking for film crews reflections in windows or the polished sides of cars, or finding out that the cool sports car driven by
Clark Kent(George Reeves) in Superman was actually his own 1952 Nash Healey Convertable.

Some random Hawaiian Eye stuff:

The Hawaiian Village entrance to the Hawaiian Eye detective agency was flanked on one side by "Cricket's Corner" photography studio and on the other by "The Record Shop"(later also run by Cricket).
By my count 11 times Warner Brothers promoted it's records by putting them in The Record Shop's display window.
Twice a large sign proclaimed -

"TOMORROW'S SOUND TODAY, WARNER BROS. RECORDS"

Either one of the two albums from 77 Sunset Strip would be displayed, briefly seen as one of the stars walked in or out of the hotel.
The albums were
1) "77 Sunset Strip (Music From The Year's Most Popular New Show) 1959"
2) "Kookie Star of 77 Sunset Strip Edd Brynes"

The LP records first appeared in episode one, Malihini Holiday, Oct. 7, 1959. They were last seen on March 5, 1963, in "Blow Low, Blow Blue", one of the very last episodes.
Cricket is seen holding the full cast LP in Sam's Record Store, a Beatnik joint run by hep cat Victor Sen Yung(Bonanza's "Hop Sing"), portrayed here as a full blown jive talking Beat in the proper regalia.

The Cartwrights would have been gobsmacked -

Hungry Hoss: "Hopsing, I'll have scrambled eggs, 2 link sausages and hash browns, extra fries, coffee with cream. And make it fast, please."
Newly Beat Hop Sing recites back Hoss's order in The Kings Jive -
"Frantic, daddy-o. That's cackleberries, two oinks and a haystack, ride the straws, Java and squeeze Bossy. Dig, I'm heels on fire, kitchen bound."

As discussed on the Hawaii Five - O thread, the creative talent behind that series often ate at a Chinese restaurant called "Wo Fat Chop Sui", inspiring the monicker
for McGarrett's arch nemesis, memorably portrayed by Khigh Deigh.

Wo Fat's was a beloved Chinatown landmark, the oldest restaurant in Hawaii.
The restaurant is gone now but it still remains the "Wo Fat Building".

It showed up at least three times on Hawaiian Eye, it's large neon sign lighting up Hotel Street. It also showed up on Hawaii Five - O and the original
Magnum PI.

Wo Fat's appears twice on Hawaiian Eye in season one, "Malihini Holiday" and "The Kikiki Kid", and once in season four, "Day in the Sun".
In "Day in the Sun", Phillip Barton (Troy Donahue) takes his date there for dinner, but it is now a Japanese restaurant, who knows why.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#89 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:25 am Thank you 308Guy for creating this thread.

The first time I watch a TV series I try to take it on it's own terms and hope I will be entertained.
If it's worthwhile, the second time through I try breaking down what the writers/director did to put the story over.
Plus searching for the trivial aspects, because I enjoy nonsense, such as looking for film crews reflections in windows or the polished sides of cars, or finding out that the cool sports car driven by
Clark Kent(George Reeves) in Superman was actually his own 1952 Nash Healey Convertable.

The Hawaiian Village entrance to the Hawaiian Eye detective agency was flanked on one side by "Cricket's Corner" photography studio and on the other by "The Record Shop"(later also run by Cricket).
By my count 11 times Warner Brothers promoted it's records by putting them in The Record Shop's display window.

Either one of the two albums from 77 Sunset Strip would be displayed, briefly seen as one of the stars walked in or out of the hotel.
The albums were

The LP records first appeared in episode one, Malihini Holiday, Oct. 7, 1959. They were last seen on March 5, 1963, in "Blow Low, Blow Blue", one of the very last episodes.
Cricket is seen holding the full cast LP in Sam's Record Store, a Beatnik joint run by hep cat Victor Sen Yung(Bonanza's "Hop Sing"), portrayed here as a full blown jive talking Beat in the proper regalia.

Hungry Hoss: "Hopsing, I'll have scrambled eggs, 2 link sausages and hash browns, extra fries, coffee with cream. And make it fast, please."
"Frantic, daddy-o. That's cackleberries, two oinks and a haystack, ride the straws, Java and squeeze Bossy. Dig, I'm heels on fire, kitchen bound."

As discussed on the Hawaii Five - O thread, the creative talent behind that series often ate at a Chinese restaurant called "Wo Fat Chop Sui", inspiring the monicker
for McGarrett's arch nemesis, memorably portrayed by Keye Luke.

It showed up at least three times on Hawaiian Eye, it's large neon sign lighting up Hotel Street. It also showed up on Hawaii Five - O and the original
Magnum PI.

Wo Fat's appears twice on Hawaiian Eye in season one, "Malihini Holiday" and "The Kikiki Kid", and once in season four, "Day in the Sun".
In "Day in the Sun", Phillip Barton (Troy Donahue) takes his date there for dinner, but it is now a Japanese restaurant, who knows why.
Yes, Leonard Freeman, creator of Hawaii Five-0, often ate at Wo Fat Chop Sui. He then used part of the name for McGarrett’s nemesis. Wo Fat was played by the late Khigh Deigh (pronounced like KI Dee).

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#90 Post by Pahonu »

MaiTaiMan wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:56 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:25 am Thank you 308Guy for creating this thread.

The albums were

for McGarrett's arch nemesis, memorably portrayed by Keye Luke.

Magnum PI.

Yes, Leonard Freeman, creator of Hawaii Five-0, often ate at Wo Fat Chop Sui. He then used part of the name for McGarrett’s nemesis. Wo Fat was played by the late Khigh Deigh (pronounced like KI Dee).
He was also great in The Manchurian Candidate. I’ve always wanted to see his short-lived TV series Khan! but to no avail so far. Even though it’s not supposed to be very good, I’m still interested in watching it. It was just a handful of episodes. In one of those strange quirks of casting, he played almost entirely East Asian roles though he was born Kenneth Dickerson in Spring Lake, New Jersey of Anglo-Egyptian heritage. It’s not unlike Iron Eyes Cody, born Espera Oscar de Corti, of Italian heritage in Louisiana. They both made successful careers, however.