The Streets of San Francisco

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Steve-O
Commander

The Streets of San Francisco

#1 Post by Steve-O »

Only saw one reference to this on MM, but if you're looking for some vintage TS to
watch while sipping your quarantini, you might check this out from 1975:

youtu.be/Ug9zjFqRS6c
(Thanks for the YT fix Conch!)
Last edited by Steve-O on Sat May 01, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve-O
Commander

Re: The Streets of San Francisco

#2 Post by Steve-O »

Wow! First topic ever (by a country mile) in this forum to hit 10,000 views without a single reply or comment.
Surely there must be a prize for that. (Sorry. Not much to do today. Must be a lockdown effect.) :shock:
Happy New Year everybody! (I hope.)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#3 Post by Pahonu »

Steve-O wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:31 pm Wow! First topic ever (by a country mile) in this forum to hit 10,000 views without a single reply or comment.
Surely there must be a prize for that. (Sorry. Not much to do today. Must be a lockdown effect.) :shock:
Happy New Year everybody! (I hope.)
Hey Steve-O, somehow I missed this. I’m a big fan of the show and have discussed it in another thread with Ivan, and others. I have all the DVD’s and have watched the series through three times now. My wife and I have been to San Francisco at least a dozen times exploring many different neighborhoods. I also used to visit yearly when I was younger as close family friends lived in the Russian Hill neighborhood. I love spotting locations as I know the city so well.

This was a pretty solid episode and Selleck was good as the surveillance expert. He had a pretty sizable role and I still wonder why he wasn’t in the opening credits. One of the scenes takes place in the Russian Hill neighborhood and the final shootout is at Fort Mason. We stayed at the hostel in Fort Mason once. We also stayed at a hostel called the Blue Tortoise just south of Russian Hill near the Macchiarini steps, and another called the Red Vic in Haight Ashbury.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Anybody know why they changed the theme song for the 5th season? I REALLY don't like it! They took out those drums and that oomph that it had and replaced it with this tinny and hollow-sounding cheap sound. I know sometimes it's good to shake things up a little but do it for the better, not for the worse. Did anyone really think this sounded better?! All those heavy drums and all that percussion that made it sound so cool was taken out, leaving us with something that sounds so empty and cheap. It's as if they were saying "here you go - not only is Douglas no longer with the show but we've also changed the theme song to make it worse to match this season's decline". :roll:

Pahonu

#5 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:45 pm Anybody know why they changed the theme song for the 5th season? I REALLY don't like it! They took out those drums and that oomph that it had and replaced it with this tinny and hollow-sounding cheap sound. I know sometimes it's good to shake things up a little but do it for the better, not for the worse. Did anyone really think this sounded better?! All those heavy drums and all that percussion that made it sound so cool was taken out, leaving us with something that sounds so empty and cheap. It's as if they were saying "here you go - not only is Douglas no longer with the show but we've also changed the theme song to make it worse to match this season's decline". :roll:
I have no idea why, but I agree it is worse. Douglas was in the two-part season 5 opener. Was the theme different already? If it wasn’t then maybe they did change it based on his leaving as a subtle hint. :wink: Actually, while season 5 is the weakest, it has a few episodes I really like. Hot Dog with Don Johnson is one of them, and the one with Ned Beatty whose title I forget. The Schwarzenegger episode is also good, before we knew what roid-rage was. :shock:

Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pm
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:45 pm Anybody know why they changed the theme song for the 5th season? I REALLY don't like it! They took out those drums and that oomph that it had and replaced it with this tinny and hollow-sounding cheap sound. I know sometimes it's good to shake things up a little but do it for the better, not for the worse. Did anyone really think this sounded better?! All those heavy drums and all that percussion that made it sound so cool was taken out, leaving us with something that sounds so empty and cheap. It's as if they were saying "here you go - not only is Douglas no longer with the show but we've also changed the theme song to make it worse to match this season's decline". :roll:
I have no idea why, but I agree it is worse. Douglas was in the two-part season 5 opener. Was the theme different already? If it wasn’t then maybe they did change it based on his leaving as a subtle hint. :wink: Actually, while season 5 is the weakest, it has a few episodes I really like. Hot Dog with Don Johnson is one of them, and the one with Ned Beatty whose title I forget. The Schwarzenegger episode is also good, before we knew what roid-rage was. :shock:
"Hang Tough" with Ned Beatty was good. As were "The Drop" (my favorite that season) and "Breakup" with Pernell Roberts. I seem to recall "Monkey is Back" and "Time Out" being good too, but I haven't seen them in a long time. I'm foggy on "Hot Dog" too except that Don Johnson was a motorcycle cop and Gerald McRaney was a baddie I think? But yeah, season 5 was the weakest. Also I recall that "The Canine Collar" was a real dog (ruff!!). Why is it that shows always try to incorporate dogs into stories? They always suck. FIVE-O had "The Bark and the Bite" during season 11 and MPI had "The Ugliest Dog in a Hawaii". And SOSF had this one. Granted out of those 3 I prefer the FIVE-O one (hey, I'm biased) but dog episodes just don't work. Wait, I take that back. BONANZA had those 2 classic episodes about Walter the lazy mutt. Now, that was funny!! But hey, those were straight-up comedies. But crime dramas incorporating dogs into their capers don't really work for me.

Pahonu

#7 Post by Pahonu »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:14 am
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pm
"Hang Tough" with Ned Beatty was good. As were "The Drop" (my favorite that season) and "Breakup" with Pernell Roberts. I seem to recall "Monkey is Back" and "Time Out" being good too, but I haven't seen them in a long time. I'm foggy on "Hot Dog" too except that Don Johnson was a motorcycle cop and Gerald McRaney was a baddie I think? But yeah, season 5 was the weakest. Also I recall that "The Canine Collar" was a real dog (ruff!!). Why is it that shows always try to incorporate dogs into stories? They always suck. FIVE-O had "The Bark and the Bite" during season 11 and MPI had "The Ugliest Dog in a Hawaii". And SOSF had this one. Granted out of those 3 I prefer the FIVE-O one (hey, I'm biased) but dog episodes just don't work. Wait, I take that back. BONANZA had those 2 classic episodes about Walter the lazy mutt. Now, that was funny!! But hey, those were straight-up comedies. But crime dramas incorporating dogs into their capers don't really work for me.
The Canine Collar was the worst if the whole series, I think. The best part of Hot Dog centered on the fact that Stone’s daughter Jeannie was dating a cop, and one that took too many risks in his view. The actual crime storyline is less interesting to me. I think I liked it because Richard Hatch played a lesser role. He and Malden never had the same chemistry together.

Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I watched "The Drop" from season 5 today for the first time in many years. Great episode!! I can honestly say it's as good as the best episodes from seasons 1-4, the only season 5 episode I can say that about. Maybe it's because I love kidnapping/ransom stories (Five-O had a few of those) or maybe because it's a personal grudge Luther Gillis... err... Eugene Roche has against Stone in this one. He enjoys yanking Stone around, making him run from telephone to telephone (the way Scorpio did with Dirty Harry) to deliver the drop. Good stuff! Also Roche was very good in this role as a pretty nasty kidnapper. He kills a woman at the beginning just to get Stone into the game. This ain't no Luther Gillis for sure. :) Plus you've also got Dabney Coleman, Parker Stevenson, Martin Kove. Strangely enough no one ever mentions this episode but I think it's the last great episode of the series.

jno
Captain

#9 Post by jno »

I watched all these recently, over a period of a few years. If you want "Mike Stone goes rogue" check out the 1972 movie "Summertime Killer" with Karl Malden in it. He is dressed just like Mike Stone, but working as a semi-dirty cop for the mob. Great film that one.

Pahonu

#10 Post by Pahonu »

jno wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:21 pm I watched all these recently, over a period of a few years. If you want "Mike Stone goes rogue" check out the 1972 movie "Summertime Killer" with Karl Malden in it. He is dressed just like Mike Stone, but working as a semi-dirty cop for the mob. Great film that one.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll give at look.

jno
Captain

#11 Post by jno »

No probs - you end up disliking his character pretty quickly even though he looks and talks like Stone. The only notable difference is Malden's wig, way more prevalent on TSOSF, way more visible bald patches in the film. At time of writing you'll find this on a certain well known video site beginning with the letter Y.

TSOSF - season 5 is a bit strange with Dan (Richard Hatch) in it and Arnie showing up. For me season 5 starts off well enough then the stories and Dan just seem to lose energy for me.

Pahonu

#12 Post by Pahonu »

jno wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:07 pm No probs - you end up disliking his character pretty quickly even though he looks and talks like Stone. The only notable difference is Malden's wig, way more prevalent on TSOSF, way more visible bald patches in the film. At time of writing you'll find this on a certain well known video site beginning with the letter Y.

TSOSF - season 5 is a bit strange with Dan (Richard Hatch) in it and Arnie showing up. For me season 5 starts off well enough then the stories and Dan just seem to lose energy for me.
Thanks for the tip again! I looked it up and it was filmed in Spain and Portugal. In ‘72 Franco was still dictator in Spain. I’m intrigued.

jno
Captain

#13 Post by jno »

It's definitely worth a watch.

I wonder if 'The Streets of San Francisco' was ever up for a CBS reboot, as it's two leads got a major name drop in new Hawaii Five O a few years back.

:shock:

https://youtu.be/6JKKJALUZZA

Pahonu

#14 Post by Pahonu »

jno wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:19 am It's definitely worth a watch.

I wonder if 'The Streets of San Francisco' was ever up for a CBS reboot, as it's two leads got a major name drop in new Hawaii Five O a few years back.

:shock:

https://youtu.be/6JKKJALUZZA
That’s pretty clever. Just about any successful show is up for a reboot, it seems. I wouldn’t doubt that it’s been discussed.