It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

#181 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:14 am In the penultimate episode of Nash Bridges, "Cat Fight", Nash's partner Joe has been trying to unload the racehorse "Mister Woody" that he owns with Nick Bridges.
When a famous mystery writer makes an offer for the nag,the always scheming Joe figures the longer the negotiating is dragged out the more likely it is the offer will be upped.
Unfortunately near the episode's end Nash hands Joe a newspaper with a headline announcing the would be buyer's demise -

CRIME WRITER VICTIM OF REAL LIFE CAPER

along with a photo of the deceased.
The photo is of the real mystery and crime writer, Carlton Cuse, creator of Nash Bridges and other series such as Lost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"That dude just took his last crap"...Terminal Island(1973)

Apparently that line is the oft quoted lone standout - really? - from this exploitation film.
Set in the future, Terminal Island is where America sends all it's convicted murderers and leaves them to fend for themselves. Two warring gangs fight over ownership of the women inmates.
One gang's second in command is Roger Mosley, while the island's doctor is played by Tom Selleck.
Also on hand is Lost In Space's Judy Robinson(Marta Kristen), and going by the pictures of her in one review, all I can say is Holy Smokes! I met her some 20 years later and she still
was strikingly beautiful.
I have never seen this film nor do I recall anyone at Magnum Mania saying they have seen it, perhaps it's not in circulation. Maybe it's one of those flicks so bad it's good.
Hey Dobie,

You seem to be a NASH BRIDGES fan. I remember when the show was on in the 90s on CBS and I would tune in from time to time but it never really caught my interest. I just remember the Barracuda and those dutch angles that the show used (which must have been out of date by that time). By the way I loved the use of dutch angles on the original Hawaii Five-O - there it was used to great effect! Though I guess 60s Batman was what really popularized it. Anyway, NASH BRIDGES didn't appeal to me much. Too many other subplots going on that I probably didn't care for. When it came to CBS I was a huge WALKER TEXAS RANGER fan and I also loved tuning into DIAGNOSIS MURDER whenever I could. Then there was JAG which was another show that didn't appeal to me much, though I loved the opening theme tune.

Speaking of Don Johnson are you also a MIAMI VICE fan? Or just NASH. I never could get into MIAMI VICE either.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#182 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:08 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:14 am In the penultimate episode of Nash Bridges, "Cat Fight", Nash's partner Joe has been trying to unload the racehorse "Mister Woody" that he owns with Nick Bridges.
When a famous mystery writer makes an offer for the nag,the always scheming Joe figures the longer the negotiating is dragged out the more likely it is the offer will be upped.
Unfortunately near the episode's end Nash hands Joe a newspaper with a headline announcing the would be buyer's demise -

The photo is of the real mystery and crime writer, Carlton Cuse, creator of Nash Bridges and other series such as Lost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently that line is the oft quoted lone standout - really? - from this exploitation film.
Set in the future, Terminal Island is where America sends all it's convicted murderers and leaves them to fend for themselves. Two warring gangs fight over ownership of the women inmates.
One gang's second in command is Roger Mosley, while the island's doctor is played by Tom Selleck.
Also on hand is Lost In Space's Judy Robinson(Marta Kristen), and going by the pictures of her in one review, all I can say is Holy Smokes! I met her some 20 years later and she still
I have never seen this film nor do I recall anyone at Magnum Mania saying they have seen it, perhaps it's not in circulation. Maybe it's one of those flicks so bad it's good.
Hey Dobie,

You seem to be a NASH BRIDGES fan. I remember when the show was on in the 90s on CBS and I would tune in from time to time but it never really caught my interest. I just remember the Barracuda and those dutch angles that the show used (which must have been out of date by that time). By the way I loved the use of dutch angles on the original Hawaii Five-O - there it was used to great effect! Though I guess 60s Batman was what really popularized it. Anyway, NASH BRIDGES didn't appeal to me much. Too many other subplots going on that I probably didn't care for. When it came to CBS I was a huge WALKER TEXAS RANGER fan and I also loved tuning into DIAGNOSIS MURDER whenever I could. Then there was JAG which was another show that didn't appeal to me much, though I loved the opening theme tune.

Speaking of Don Johnson are you also a MIAMI VICE fan? Or just NASH. I never could get into MIAMI VICE either.
I don’t think Dutch angle shots are really a fad from a particular era. The documentarian Vertov is one of the earliest users of the effect. We watched Man with a Movie Camera in one of my film history classes. It’s really common in German expressionist films, but I would argue it was popularized in more mainstream film by Hitchcock. I never watched enough of Nash Bridges to notice it, but H5-O did use it to good effect. It’s typically a visual choice to add a sense of disorientation and anxiety, but Batman used it a little differently, I think.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#183 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:11 pm

Hey Dobie,
I don’t think Dutch angle shots are really a fad from a particular era. The documentarian Vertov is one of the earliest users of the effect. We watched Man with a Movie Camera in one of my film history classes. It’s really common in German expressionist films, but I would argue it was popularized in more mainstream film by Hitchcock. I never watched enough of Nash Bridges to notice it, but H5-O did use it to good effect. It’s typically a visual choice to add a sense of disorientation and anxiety, but Batman used it a little differently, I think.
Hi Ivan and Pahonu,
Wow, you guys make me smile as what fan site('fan site' isn't quite right, MM is much more than some fanboy TV show love fest) like Magnum Mania is going to have a discussion on Dutch angles!
Little Garwood would love this. Come back Shane, er, Little Garwood, come back.
Ivan, I didn't care for Miami Vice - admittedly I only saw perhaps 6 episodes - back then as I thought it was too much style over form. Take beach babes for we men to gawk at and 2
eye candy leads for the ladies, add music, presto it's the MTV Cops.
Unlike Hawaii 5-0, I was never surprised by any story twist, you could see each one coming a mile away.
You were never going to get a great line like Kono's - "one day we will be strangers in our own land."
To be fair there is a place for lightweight cop shows to unwind with after work, but I'd rather ride along with Pete and Jim on Adam-12.
I will catch Walker Texas Ranger one day - it's hard to have seen every series out there - as ever since I saw Chuck Norris being interviewed on the Dick Cavett Show I am a big fan of the man.
You can't help but admire his character, totally honest, a stand up guy who conducts himself in real life the way Randolph Scott's character did in those 7 GREAT Westerns he did
with director Budd Boetticher, known as the Ranown Cycle.
Norris related how his teenage self had to throttle and send on his way his no account, drunk, awful father who showed up one day ready to again prey/beat on his family.
Another time when he recounted his work with troubled Vets he was scorned by a woman who said he just had no understanding of the Vietnam War.
The ever dignified Norris pointed out his brother was killed over there. He also made no secret of his contempt for - now proud Russian citizen and Putin pal - Steven Seagal.
If that interview is on You Tube somewhere it's well worth catching, as I am not doing justice to the above stories since it must be 5 years plus since I saw it.

As for Nash Bridges, I only relatively recently embraced it as I didn't "get it" before.
It does have many ongoing subplots and issues that run thru the entire series but that just made the characters travails more meaningful and layered.
On it's surface the twice married Nash seems to keep dating and going thru the latest beautiful women he meets and is having a heigh ho time. In reality as revealed in the later episodes
he has been deeply unhappy in his love life, he is looking for the right woman, who like Jim Rockford's women ALWAYS let him down or betray him in the end.
The very last one in a utterly brutal fashion. He desperately wants a relationship like his partner Joe has with his wife, though without their craziness.
Later on an introspective Nash painfully notes he wanted to be an architect, still does, he never wanted to be a cop or desired his daughter to be one.
He is living a life he never wanted on many levels.
He only became a cop to replace his big brother Bobby who disappeared in Vietnam (who was going to be a cop after achieving the highest ever entrance scores) in order to please his father Nick.
To no avail, he will forever be in his bro's shadow, his father seems oblivious he is the best cop on the force - with a photographic memory - and often waxes poetic on how Bobby would
have done better.
By the way Bobby left Nash the iconic Cuda, so Nash's trademark car is actually his brother's trademark, and along with his job he is living his brother's life.
As well he is always helping others with their problems but no one seems to notice Nash has them as well.
He is everyone else's guardian angel, which the show commented on by assigning him one in the form of a homeless derelict named Angel who wore a dirty robe and beat up wings,
invariably showing up when Nash was low and needed guidance.
The show has excellent production values, good writing, many surprise guest cameos and Stone Cold Steve Austin is brilliant as a renegade copper in a handful of episodes, it is a crime
he wasn't spun off into his own series. The camera loves him and he steals every scene he is in, not many series stars would have allowed that.
Hunter S. Thompson suggested the germ of an idea that was the show's basis. He appears in episode one as a piano player. He was neighbors with Don Johnson in Aspen.
Johnson had a major input in the series, he is highly intelligent and always pushed for smart scripts, I can't recall a really bad episode during the entire run.
No shark jumping here.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#184 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Hey Dobie,

The Dutch angles on NASH as I recall were really only used inside the police headquarters. Sure, it was unique but I'm not sure what effect it really created or what the purpose was supposed to be. On FIVE-O the Dutch angles were typically used during moments of suspense or while a crime was being committed so it actually worked to great effect to heighten the tension. It wasn't used in expository scenes where not much was happening. Never in McGarrett's office. It was actually director Michael O'Herlihy (brother of actor Dan) who was most responsible for utilizing those Dutch angles in episodes that he directed. If you saw his name credit at the start of the episode you knew you'd get treated to some pretty cool Dutch angles. The other directors didn't use Dutch angles all that much. O'Herlihy directed more episodes of FIVE-O than any other director.

Fleet Admiral

#185 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:10 am

Hey Dobie,
Hi Ivan and Pahonu,
Wow, you guys make me smile as what fan site('fan site' isn't quite right, MM is much more than some fanboy TV show love fest) like Magnum Mania is going to have a discussion on Dutch angles!
Little Garwood would love this. Come back Shane, er, Little Garwood, come back.
Ivan, I didn't care for Miami Vice - admittedly I only saw perhaps 6 episodes - back then as I thought it was too much style over form. Take beach babes for we men to gawk at and 2 eye candy leads
for the ladies, add music, presto it's the MTV Cops.
Unlike Hawaii 5-0, I was never surprised by any story twist, you could see each one coming a mile away. You were never going to get a great line like Kono's - "one day we will be strangers in our own land."
To be fair there is a place for lightweight cop shows to unwind with after work, but I'd rather ride along with Pete and Jim on Adam-12.
I will catch Walker Texas Ranger one day - it's hard to have seen every series out there - as ever since I saw Chuck Norris being interviewed on the Dick Cavett Show I am a big fan of the man.
You can't help but admire his character, totally honest, a stand up guy who conducts himself in real life the way Randolph Scott's character did in those 7 GREAT Westerns he did with director Budd
Boetticher, known as the Ranown Cycle.
Norris related how his teenage self had to throttle and send on his way his no account, drunk, awful father who showed up one day ready to again prey/beat on his family.
Another time when he recounted his work with troubled Vets he was scorned by a woman who said he just had no understanding of the Vietnam War. The ever dignified Norris pointed out his brother
was killed over there. He also made no secret of his contempt for - now proud Russian citizen and Putin pal - Steven Seagal.
If that interview is on You Tube somewhere it's well worth catching, as I am not doing justice to the above stories since it must be 5 years plus since I saw it.

As for Nash Bridges, I only relatively recently embraced it as I didn't "get it" before.
It does have many ongoing subplots and issues that run thru the entire series but that just made the characters travails more meaningful and layered.
On it's surface the twice married Nash seems to keep dating and going thru the latest beautiful women he meets and is having a heigh ho time. In reality as revealed in the later episodes
he has been deeply unhappy in his love life, he is looking for the right woman, who like Jim Rockford's women ALWAYS let him down or betray him in the end. The very last one in a
utterly brutal fashion. He desperately wants a relationship like his partner Joe has with his wife, though without their craziness.
Later on an introspective Nash painfully notes he wanted to be a architect, still does, he never wanted to be a cop or desired his daughter to be one.
He is living a life he never wanted on many levels.
He only became a cop to replace his big brother Bobby who disappeared in Vietnam (who was going to be a cop after achieving the highest ever entrance scores) in order to please his father Nick.
To no avail, he will forever be in his bro's shadow, his father seems oblivious he is the best cop on the force -with a photographic memory - and often waxes poetic on how Bobby would have done
better. By the way Bobby left Nick the iconic Cuda, so Nash's trademark car is actually his brother's trademark, and along with his job he is living his brother's life.
As well he is always helping others with their problems but no one seems to notice Nash has them as well.
He is everyone else's guardian angel, which the show commented on by assigning him one in the form of a homeless derelict named Angel who wore a dirty robe and beat up wings, invariably
showing up when Nash was low and needed guidance.
The show has excellent production values, good writing, many surprise guest cameos and Stone Cold Steve Austin is so brilliant as a renegade copper in a handful of episodes it is a crime
he wasn't spun off into his own series. The camera loves him and he steals every scene he is in, not many series stars would have allowed that.
Hunter S. Thompson suggested the germ of an idea that was the show's basis. He appears in episode one as a piano player. He was neighbors with Don Johnson in Aspen.
Johnson had a major input in the series, he is highly intelligent and always pushed for smart scripts, I can't recall a really bad episode during the entire run.
No shark jumping here.
Oh wow, Dobie. You've really delved deep into the show. Maybe I'll give it a whirl one of these days. It's actually playing on the Heroes & Icons channel. I do remember Stone Cold Steve Austin being a big deal in the late 90s and everyone seemed to be talking about him and I remember when he joined NASH BRIDGES it was all over the TV Guide (remember those?). I also remember when Yasmine Bleeth joined the show and that was a pretty big deal too. She was fresh off BAYWATCH and I guess she wanted to stretch her acting chops in more dramatic fare.

As for Chuck Norris I wholeheartedly agree - I've seen many of his interviews and he's incredibly humble and down-to-earth, well disciplined with good values and upbringing (values that are no longer fashionable). He speaks fondly of his mother and brother (who died in Vietnam) and his upbringing and is just a joy to listen to. He's done so much also with his Kick Drugs Out of America program, working with city youth and getting them disciplined with good values and out of gangs and away from drugs. God bless him! I also remember an interview during his WALKER days where he's asked how difficult the shooting schedule is for a weekly series and he says that before he started the show he actually talked to none other than Tom Selleck who told him that shooting a weekly series would not be easy. I wonder if that interview is still on YouTube somewhere.

EDIT: Here's the interview. Chuck mentions Selleck at 3:25 and says he's one of his friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHiOtqSP5Tw
I'm not surprised that the 2 would be friends since both are upstanding guys with good morals/values.
Last edited by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#186 Post by Pahonu »

Sorry Dobie and Ivan, as much as I enjoy discussing Dutch angles among other great topics here, I’m not a Norris fan. Lost all respect for the man when he promoted the Obama birther conspiracy theory. He also later supported Roy Moore, so it would be less than no respect, if that were possible. I respect conservatism as a political position, not conspiracy theories and Christian nationalism.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#187 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IVAN wrote -
Oh wow, Dobie. You've really delved deep into the show. Maybe I'll give it a whirl one of these days. It's actually playing on the Heroes & Icons channel. I do remember Stone Cold Steve Austin being a big deal in the late 90s and everyone seemed to be talking about him and I remember when he joined NASH BRIDGES it was all over the TV Guide (remember those?). I also remember when Yasmine Bleeth joined the show and that was a pretty big deal too. She was fresh off BAYWATCH and I guess she wanted to stretch her acting chops in more dramatic fare.

As for Chuck Norris I wholeheartedly agree - I've seen many of his interviews and he's incredibly humble and down-to-earth, well disciplined with good values and upbringing (values that are no longer fashionable). He speaks fondly of his mother and brother (who died in Vietnam) and his upbringing and is just a joy to listen to. He's done so much also with his Kick Drugs Out of America program, working with city youth and getting them disciplined with good values and out of gangs and away from drugs. God bless him! I also remember an interview during his WALKER days where he's asked how difficult the shooting schedule is for a weekly series and he says that before he started the show he actually talked to none other than Tom Selleck who told him that shooting a weekly series would not be easy. I wonder if that interview is still on YouTube somewhere.

EDIT: Here's the interview. Chuck mentions Selleck at 3:25 and says he's one of his friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHiOtqSP5Tw
I'm not surprised that the 2 would be friends since both are upstanding guys with good morals/values.

Hi Ivan,
When Yasmine Bleeth showed up on Nash Bridges I rolled my eyes, but to my surprise she was terrific, the best of all Nash's romantic interests, she's not just a pretty face but can act.

I am happy to find another Chuck Norris admirer, he's everything a man is supposed to be, at least in the last century. He reminds me of James Garner in Murphy's Romance,
only that was fiction. Thank you so much for the link you provided, I have wanted to see it again for awhile.

Hmm, I used "last century" like the bewhiskered geezers in 1930s/1940's movies, when Gabby Hayes would recall how things were in "ought three", or "before the turn"
of the century. Dag nab it, now I get why my friend's daughter dragged me in for 'show and tell' to talk about the latter part of the century.
I gave away an old rotary phone, it was a hit, meanwhile I was just cleaning out the garage.
I also shared some good stories, such as the incident with Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' at the MOMA, which is water under the bridge now in any event.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It Got By The Graphics Department -

Perry Mason Season 2 Episode 16 "The Case of the Fraudulent Photo"

In the opening of the show, it's titled:

"The Case of The Fraudulent Foto"

I assume it's a mistake, I could be wrong, unless it's an unlikely, clumsy attempt at alliteration.
Nah, not at CBS back then, every "i" would have been dotted and every "t" crossed.

Fleet Admiral

#188 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:16 am Sorry Dobie and Ivan, as much as I enjoy discussing Dutch angles among other great topics here, I’m not a Norris fan. Lost all respect for the man when he promoted the Obama birther conspiracy theory. He also later supported Roy Moore, so it would be less than no respect, if that were possible. I respect conservatism as a political position, not conspiracy theories and Christian nationalism.
In light of how much good Chuck has done for the youth of America (especially the poor inner city kids) to keep them on the straight and narrow and away from gangs and drugs I could care less where he thinks Obama was born. If he wants to think that I was born in an igloo in Siberia then that's fine with me. I know that I was born in Ukraine and that's all that matters.

Also -- be careful what you say about Chuck Norris. He might just be right behind you. :shock: :wink:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#189 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The Drew Carey Show

In the "Dog and Pony Show" episode of the Drew Carey Show, Drew and his pals need money so they decide to stage their own Full Monty Revue at the Warsaw Tavern.
Standing discretely at the back of a room full of screaming women as the boys perform are the original Full Monty stars, Mark Addy, Paul Barber, Steve Huison and Hugo Speer.

At episode's end an apologetic Drew breaks character and goes into the studio audience to make reparations, handing out cash for having subjected them to viewing
his butt as well as his cast mates'. That's money well earned.
The initial audience members he gives money to in the first row turn out to be the above mentioned Full Monty cast members.
When the penny drops and Drew realizes who they are he declares, outraged,
"Wait a second. I had to see your butts!"
and snatches the money back as the audience roars with laughter.
Mark Addy, Paul Barber, Steve Huison and Hugo Speer are never identified as the Full Monty cast members during the show, which makes it more fun for the sharp
eyed viewer when they spot them. Their names do pop up in the end credits.

The Drew Carey Show was a darn good series, one of the first to satirize the onset of the Cubicle Workplace Culture and featured an outstanding supporting cast
along with an amazing number of cameos by various musical groups.
It's last two years it went off the tracks when ABC forced Carey to keep it's cash cow going when Carey and the talent behind the show wanted to end it.
They had no more to say and were starting to repeat the material. Which is the reason Carl Reiner ended the Dick Van Dyke Show after 5 seasons.
As a result co-producer Carey and the writers went crazy and just threw everything against the wall to see what sticked. There were a few inspired bits but mostly
it was dumb, hopefully inviting it's cancellation. By the end Drew had been married four times, once to a man, was a bigamist, and instead of being the schnook
invisible cog in the company every girl he met was insanely shapely or beautiful and smitten with him. It made no sense.
The last two years really hurt it's reputation as most people only recall how inane it got. I have only recently seen it being rerun after many years, on Rewind or
Antenna TV.
In The Godfather they advise "Leave the gun, take the cannoli." Regarding The Drew Carey Show, leave the last two seasons, take the first six.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu

#190 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:09 pm
Pahonu wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:16 am Sorry Dobie and Ivan, as much as I enjoy discussing Dutch angles among other great topics here, I’m not a Norris fan. Lost all respect for the man when he promoted the Obama birther conspiracy theory. He also later supported Roy Moore, so it would be less than no respect, if that were possible. I respect conservatism as a political position, not conspiracy theories and Christian nationalism.
In light of how much good Chuck has done for the youth of America (especially the poor inner city kids) to keep them on the straight and narrow and away from gangs and drugs I could care less where he thinks Obama was born. If he wants to think that I was born in an igloo in Siberia then that's fine with me. I know that I was born in Ukraine and that's all that matters.

Also -- be careful what you say about Chuck Norris. He might just be right behind you. :shock: :wink:
I have no fear as I myself am highly skilled in the lesser known martial art of Run-Fu!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, while I was aware of his long-time charity work, he went down the rabbit hole of Trump supported birtherism, which is about much more than just where you are from. It is rooted in questioning different cultures seen as problematic or even inferior. Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric is targeted only at certain groups, such as those from Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa. There is no mention made of his own mother being an immigrant… Mary Anne McCloud from Scotland. Or his grandfather, Friedrich Trump from Germany. Why does he never mention them? It seems he doesn’t view all immigrants the same way.

On a side note, I always found it intriguing that in the 2008 election cycle, Obama’s birth in the state of Hawaii was questioned and no one brought up that John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone and not in one of the fifty states. They are, of course, both “natural born citizens” based on the constitutional concepts of jus solis and jus sanguinis respectively, but only one was questioned. It’s also interesting to note that Trump’s lineage was more recently immigrated than Obama’s. Both had one immigrant parent, but Trump had an immigrant grandfather while Obama’s maternal family were longtime Kansas and Indiana residents from before the Civil War. Just something to consider.

The support of Christian Nationalist Moore is another red flag for me. It clearly flies in the face of separation of church and state as developed by the founding fathers and enshrined in the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment. I find it a dangerous exercise to support such an undemocratic and divisive ideology.

Fleet Admiral

#191 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:48 pm

I have no fear as I myself am highly skilled in the lesser known martial art of Run-Fu!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, while I was aware of his long-time charity work, he went down the rabbit hole of Trump supported birtherism, which is about much more than just where you are from. It is rooted in questioning different cultures seen as problematic or even inferior. Trump’s anti-immigrant rhetoric is targeted only at certain groups, such as those from Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa. There is no mention made of his own mother being an immigrant… Mary Anne McCloud from Scotland. Or his grandfather, Friedrich Trump from Germany. Why does he never mention them? It seems he doesn’t view all immigrants the same way.

On a side note, I always found it intriguing that in the 2008 election cycle, Obama’s birth in the state of Hawaii was questioned and no one brought up that John McCain was born in the Panama Canal Zone and not in one of the fifty states. They are, of course, both “natural born citizens” based on the constitutional concepts of jus solis and jus sanguinis respectively, but only one was questioned. It’s also interesting to note that Trump’s lineage was more recently immigrated than Obama’s. Both had one immigrant parent, but Trump had an immigrant grandfather while Obama’s maternal family were longtime Kansas and Indiana residents from before the Civil War. Just something to consider.

The support of Christian Nationalist Moore is another red flag for me. It clearly flies in the face of separation of church and state as developed by the founding fathers and enshrined in the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment. I find it a dangerous exercise to support such an undemocratic and divisive ideology.
Run-Fu is certainly a valuable discipline to know! :lol:

I have no intention of derailing this thread but...

To be fair, there's a reason we view certain areas of the world with a certain mindset. We've had to deal with Middle Eastern terrorists for I don't know how long now. The biggest act of crime against this country was perpetrated by them, lest we forget 9/11. I still clearly remember that day. How many rapes and murders do we hear about on a regular basis perpetrated by illegals from Mexico? I don't hear anything like that about German or Scottish immigrants. So let's be fair about that. Try as we might, we can't help but have our own views about certain groups of people or certain countries. I'm not saying we need to persecute those people but applying extra vetting to people from certain countries is absolutely a MUST! If we are to keep this country safe. Which is why it never made sense to me that some little old 80 year old grandma from Kansas is getting the same pat-downs and rub-downs at airports as a 20-something male from a Middle Eastern country. Shouldn't we be using some logic and common sense? And God forbid they find some traces of fertilizer on said grandma's hands - SHE'S A TERRORIST!! :shock: It couldn't be because she was planting some flowers in her garden. That actually happened to me once - they found traces of fertilizer on my hands (or so they said) and I wasn't even doing any gardening or anything like that. No idea how it got on my hands. They detained me and I almost missed my flight as a result.

Anyway, I digress...

Pahonu

#192 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:12 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:48 pm

Run-Fu is certainly a valuable discipline to know! :lol:

I have no intention of derailing this thread but...

To be fair, there's a reason we view certain areas of the world with a certain mindset. We've had to deal with Middle Eastern terrorists for I don't know how long now. The biggest act of crime against this country was perpetrated by them, lest we forget 9/11. I still clearly remember that day. How many rapes and murders do we hear about on a regular basis perpetrated by illegals from Mexico? I don't hear anything like that about German or Scottish immigrants. So let's be fair about that. Try as we might, we can't help but have our own views about certain groups of people or certain countries. I'm not saying we need to persecute those people but applying extra vetting to people from certain countries is absolutely a MUST! If we are to keep this country safe. Which is why it never made sense to me that some little old 80 year old grandma from Kansas is getting the same pat-downs and rub-downs at airports as a 20-something male from a Middle Eastern country. Shouldn't we be using some logic and common sense? And God forbid they find some traces of fertilizer on said grandma's hands - SHE'S A TERRORIST!! :shock: It couldn't be because she was planting some flowers in her garden. That actually happened to me once - they found traces of fertilizer on my hands (or so they said) and I wasn't even doing any gardening or anything like that. No idea how it got on my hands. They detained me and I almost missed my flight as a result.

Anyway, I digress...
As I think about it, my 6-8 and 52 year old self would be far less effective with Run-Fu than my 6-8 much quicker NCCAA athlete self from long ago. LOL!!! I never mind discussing these topics, and I don’t think Dobie would be upset that it was hijacked based on our conversations.

I do think that relying on personal experience or anecdotal evidence unfortunately leads to oversimplification, and to say “certain areas of the world” is an example of that. It casts a broad net that doesn’t adequately reflect the potential threats from many places. It creates blind spots that can lead to tragedy. Russian gangs have been a source of criminal violence in New York and elsewhere in the East Coast. They would be the European area of the world. So is the mob connection to Sicily. The Yakuza and Chinese tongs are active here on the West Coast. Salva Maratrucha has been far more problematic in SoCal than any Mexican gang activity. The Oklahoma City bombing was domestic terrorism. Whether you have personally heard about it or not, it really is much more complicated than people from certain areas of the world.

Trump certainly talks constantly about all the rapes by immigrants from Mexico, but if you look at the crime statistics, it presents a very different picture.

The U.S. Sentencing Commission 2022 statistics on rape and sexual abuse:
93.6% of offenders were men. 57.5% were White, 16.1% were Black, 12.1% were Native American, 11.8% were Hispanic, and 2.5% were Other races.

Then consider, a significant majority of that Hispanic group are not immigrants from Mexico at all, but citizens. They are citizens with Cuban, and Puerto Rican, and Dominican, and other Latino ancestry. The number of immigrants from Mexico that have committed these crimes is tiny, yet it seems you might feel it is at a crisis level based on your comments. Even if it were possible to completely shut down all immigration to the US (which would very badly effect our economy), we would see an only a tiny reduction in these crimes. The vast majority are committed by US citizens of wide ranging ethnic backgrounds.

I remember the morning of 911 vividly as well. My sister in law lived and worked in Manhattan and my wife was very concerned. I then had to go teach that day, which was so difficult. Then we learned that the perpetrators were all Saudi nationals, perhaps our closest ally in the Arab world. Again, it is very complicated. Oversimplification leads to narrowed thinking and missed signs and signals. Israel’s security has been hailed for years for its targeted profiling methods in airports and border crossings, yet they tragically just had the biggest security failure in their nation’s history. That’s certainly something to consider, and I understand that they are reevaluating some of their methods in the wake of this terrorist attack.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#193 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The below isn't in jokes but some Bonanza trivia, I am cleaning out old files and thought I'd share:

5'8" Michael "Little Joe" Landon wore 4 inch lifts built into his cowboy boots as his cast mates were all large men over 6 feet tall.

When a series like Bonanza produces 431 episodes you can lose track of the titles. Hence there are two episodes with the same name, "The Witness".
The two were Season 11 Episode 2 and Season 14  Episode 14.

Dan  Blocker - "Hoss" - founded a restaurant chain called Bonanza. He later sold it, the new owners using Ponderosa Steakhouse or Bonanza Steakhouse at different locations.
Once numbering close to 700 restaurants, just 16 remain today.
Blocker was an intellectual with a masters degree.
Drafted into the army, his training was delayed for a month while they struggled to come up with 14 and 1/2 size boots.
Sent to Korea with the 45th Infantry Division, he served in the front lines for 209 straight days, heavily involved in the infamous fighting on Pork Chop Hill.
He was wounded coming to the rescue of some cut off comrades there.

Lorne Greene was born on Feb.12, 1915 in Ottawa and died in 1987 at age 72.
He is buried in Hillside Memorial Park in Culver City, California.
A  tomb a few feet away from Greene houses Michael Landon's remains.
 Landon had a emotionally deprived childhood growing up in Collingswood, NJ and looked at Greene as his mentor and father figure.
When he was a teen he had to fight and then drag his mother out of the ocean as she tried to drown herself. 
Horror stricken once they got to shore, he fell to his knees and repeatedly vomited.
Little House On The Prairie was his vision of an idealized family life he had never known.

Bonanza trivia that nobody ever answers correctly:
How many brothers did Little Joe have?
Four.  
Adam, Eric(Hoss), Jamie(adopted) and half brother Clay Stafford by his mother's first husband back in New Orleans.
Bonus question. What was Little Joe's wife's name?
Alice Harper.
Played by Bonnie Bedelia, and like all serious love interests of the Cartwrights and the red shirted crewmen on Star Trek, she soon died.

Pahonu

#194 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:16 am The below isn't in jokes but some Bonanza trivia, I am cleaning out old files and thought I'd share:

5'8" Michael "Little Joe" Landon wore 4 inch lifts built into his cowboy boots as his cast mates were all large men over 6 feet tall.

When a series like Bonanza produces 431 episodes you can lose track of the titles. Hence there are two episodes with the same name, "The Witness".
The two were Season 11 Episode 2 and Season 14  Episode 14.

Dan  Blocker - "Hoss" - founded a restaurant chain called Bonanza. He later sold it, the new owners using Ponderosa Steakhouse or Bonanza Steakhouse at different locations.
Once numbering close to 700 restaurants, just 16 remain today.
Blocker was an intellectual with a masters degree.
Drafted into the army, his training was delayed for a month while they struggled to come up with 14 and 1/2 size boots.
Sent to Korea with the 45th Infantry Division, he served in the front lines for 209 straight days, heavily involved in the infamous fighting on Pork Chop Hill.
He was wounded coming to the rescue of some cut off comrades there.

Lorne Greene was born on Feb.12, 1915 in Ottawa and died in 1987 at age 72.
He is buried in Hillside Memorial Park in Culver City, California.
A  tomb a few feet away from Greene houses Michael Landon's remains.
 Landon had a emotionally deprived childhood growing up in Collingswood, NJ and looked at Greene as his mentor and father figure.
When he was a teen he had to fight and then drag his mother out of the ocean as she tried to drown herself. 
Horror stricken once they got to shore, he fell to his knees and repeatedly vomited.
Little House On The Prairie was his vision of an idealized family life he had never known.

Four.  
Adam, Eric(Hoss), Jamie(adopted) and half brother Clay Stafford by his mother's first husband back in New Orleans.
Alice Harper.
Played by Bonnie Bedelia, and like all serious love interests of the Cartwrights and the red shirted crewmen on Star Trek, she soon died.
Dang Dobie! That last sentence made me laugh out loud. So much so that my wife asked about it. I didn’t/couldn’t explain…. :D :D :D

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#195 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Dobie wrote :
Four.
Alice Harper.

Pahonu repiied -
Dang Dobie! That last sentence made me laugh out loud. So much so that my wife asked about it. I didn’t/couldn’t explain…. :D :D :D

Pahonu,
I often get that reaction when I get caught trying to slide a pregnant sentence by people.

While we are talking about Bonanza, years ago I was happy to have a piece accepted by a new Classic Television magazine, which promptly folded before my article
got in.
Titled - "The Cartwrights. American Heroes or Murder Clan USA?"
It recounted how over the first 3 seasons of Bonanza the Cartwrights had killed at least 75 people. Really, I kid you not, I kept tabs off TBS reruns in the 80's.
No wonder Hop Sing slept with one eye open and a cleaver beside himself at night.

The above was written at the time with tongue planted firmly in cheek as I grew up on Bonanza and it did help form my character.
That admittedly sounds corny but.
When I was a kid my friends were pressuring me to also shoplift 15 cent bottles of model paint from Woolworths when I finally relented.
I then spied a display of Bonanza lunchboxes, with my hero Hoss looking squarely at guilty me.
I put the paint back to jeers from the Mullen brothers. I didn't care, I had kept faith with Hoss and the Hardy Boys as well.