It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Re: It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

#46 Post by KENJI »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:IN JOKE:
In Magnum episode 111, The Hotel Dick, around the 29/ 30 minute mark Magnum explains to Clyde the hotel manager that he wasn't
talking to anyone in his room, rather -

"I had the tv on. You know one of those silly family sitcoms with these cute little kids and the father, see, he's a doctor"

The night this episode aired, October 17, 1985, The Cosby Show, about a Doctor and his cute little kids, was running on NBC opposite Magnum PI.
Hi Dobie,

You should send that one to Conch and have him put it in the note section of The Hotel Dick!

:D

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Ivan the Terrible wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dobie, that's too funny!! But now you've ruined The Lone Ranger for me for all eternity! To think that Jay Silverheels is calling Clayton Moore a "shithead" every time he says "kemosabe" is just too much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Ivan,
I agree with you, that's why I love this inside stuff. Here is another one:

The rustic town of Mayberry was based on the real Mount Airy, North Carolina – Andy Griffith’s hometown.
In the episode “A Black Day For Mayberry” you can clearly see the words Mount Airy on the side of a phone book sitting on the sheriff’s desk.
Griffith also snuck in the names of several childhood friends to use for minor characters during the series run.
Star Trek used the Mayberry set in the episodes “Miri” and “City on the Edge of Forever.” You can clearly see "Floyd’s Barbershop"
emblazoned on the front window of his shop as well as the Mayberry Courthouse in a couple of scenes.
In the 1960's TV series Green Hornet, whenever the Green Hornet roared out in his car onto the crime ridden streets of a darkly
lit city, the sharp eyed viewer will note the set is Mayberry as the Hornet and his driver Kato(Bruce Lee) roar by the Courthorse.
You half expect Opie to be wearing gang colors on the corner while selling drugs to Goober and Gomer Pyle.
Ah, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. Now you're talking! One of the finest pieces of television ever created. Such a rare gem! Nothing like it at the time or since! Truly a lightning in a bottle. Everything just came together - Andy and Don, what a team! Those 2 alone were enough to tune in (or heck, Barney alone was reason enough) but we were treated to additional secondary characters that would be the envy of any other show - Floyd, Otis, Gomer, Goober! Really I can't think of another show that had such a stellar ensemble. Many criticize the color episodes (after Don left) and while it's true that those last 3 seasons weren't as good as the first 5 it was still way better than any other "sitcom" out there at the time. Though I think TAGS was much more than a simple sitcom, difficult to even peg the show. At times it could be a more effective drama than even real "dramas". Even without Don Knotts there were plenty of other interesting Mayberry folk that made it a joy for us to visit with. Honestly one of the greatest shows ever conceived!
And yes the Mayberry courthouse and that whole town set was featured in numerous TV productions at the time.
Ivan,
I love your post, spot on in every respect. People disparage TV as somehow below other types of Art. But I think The Andy Griffith Show is great Art, a celebration
of the best part of our culture. Beautifully rendered Americana. Mark Twain would watch it.
As you know, Ivan, it didn't get cheap laughs from never ending one liners - like the much honored "Veep" that I consider crap - but from who the characters were.
If you read a scene concerning Barney being allowed to take the one and only bullet he was issued and put it into his pistol, it's not funny.
But when you see it on your TV it is hysterical.
You can see the real pilot for TAGS on You Tube, it's the Danny Thomas Show episode titled "Danny Meets Andy Griffith". "Aunt Bea" plays another character.
And keep your eye out for the episode "Joey's Hideaway Cabin" of the Joey Bishop Show. Don Knots appears in his Mayberry uniform, billed in the credits as
"Deputy Sheriff Don Knots played by Barney Fife".
You're absolutely right about TAGS being art, high art in fact!! It certainly wasn't just some disposable silly sitcom. And with each passing year its greatness only increases because with each passing year that bygone era moves further and further away from us. Sadly. :cry:

I've never watched VEEP and care nothing for today's comedies (or dramas or whatever). If they're not raunchy then they're just plain idiotic, expecting you to react like a 6-year old and laugh at stupid things that aren't even remotely funny. I've glanced at some shows here and there like PARKS AND REC, 30 ROCK, THE OFFICE, BIG BANG THEORY, etc. Just mind-numbingly stupid stuff and it's amazing that those things that I'm supposed to laugh at don't get any reaction out of me whatsoever. Things that stopped being funny to me when I turned 11. I feel sorry for the generation that is raised on these modern "funny" shows.

Yep I saw that DANNY THOMAS SHOW episode a while back. Probably the best DANNY THOMAS SHOW episode I ever saw :lol: because it's more ANDY GRIFFITH than DANNY THOMAS! Sure, it didn't have all the kinks worked out yet but the groundwork certainly was all there. Andy was too much of a rube and a hick but that's also how he was for a good chunk of season 1 on TAGS. By season 2 it mostly disappeared and Andy was more of a straight man to Barney's comical sidekick. So I felt right at home watching that episode. :D

I'd love to check Don Knotts out in that JOEY BISHOP episode but it's not available online. Love that crazy credit - "Deputy Sheriff Don Knots played by Barney Fife". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Ivan the Terrible wrote:
You're absolutely right about TAGS being art, high art in fact!! It certainly wasn't just some disposable silly sitcom. And with each passing year its greatness only increases because with each passing year that bygone era moves further and further away from us. Sadly. :cry:
I've never watched VEEP and care nothing for today's comedies (or dramas or whatever). If they're not raunchy then they're just plain idiotic, expecting you to react like a 6-year old and laugh at stupid things that aren't even remotely funny. I've glanced at some shows here and there like PARKS AND REC, 30 ROCK, THE OFFICE, BIG BANG THEORY, etc. Just mind-numbingly stupid stuff and it's amazing that those things that I'm supposed to laugh at don't get any reaction out of me whatsoever. Things that stopped being funny to me when I turned 11. I feel sorry for the generation that is raised on these modern "funny" shows.
Yep I saw that DANNY THOMAS SHOW episode a while back. Probably the best DANNY THOMAS SHOW episode I ever saw :lol: because it's more ANDY GRIFFITH than DANNY THOMAS! Sure, it didn't have all the kinks worked out yet but the groundwork certainly was all there. Andy was too much of a rube and a hick but that's also how he was for a good chunk of season 1 on TAGS. By season 2 it mostly disappeared and Andy was more of a straight man to Barney's comical sidekick. So I felt right at home watching that episode. :D
I'd love to check Don Knotts out in that JOEY BISHOP episode but it's not available online. Love that crazy credit - "Deputy Sheriff Don Knots played by Barney Fife". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Ivan,
I couldn't agree with your sentiments above more, good on you. I also tried looking online for you but no dice regarding Barney Fife on the Bishop show.
Antenna TV airs the Joey Bishop Show every day from 7 AM to 8 AM. And it looks like they just ran "Joey's Hideaway Cabin"(Season 3 Episode 15) this morning!
Antenna TV is on Comcast and also free over the airwaves. It also runs the Bishop Show early AM weekends, not following the same episode order as the weekday
showings. Like the Andy Griffith Show, it was a spin off of The Danny Thomas Show, which means all 3 shows existed in the same "universe" along with Gomer Pyle
and Mayberry RFD and the Bill Dana Show which was another Danny Thomas spin off, making for 6 series in the same "world".
Huh, that never occurred to me before.
That has to be a world's record and a great trivia question, I have never seen that brought up anywhere else.
I'm thinking I earned a snort of Otis's best moonshine and one of Aunt Bee's pickles and a date with both Juanita and Miss Crump for that bit of trivia.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Antenna TV... runs the Bishop Show. Like the Andy Griffith Show, it was a spin off of The Danny Thomas Show, which means all 3 shows existed in the
same "universe" along with Gomer Pyle and Mayberry RFD and the Bill Dana Show which was another Danny Thomas spin off, making for 6 series in the
same "world".
That has to be a world's record and a great trivia question, I have never seen that brought up anywhere else.
An update. In addition to The Danny Thomas Show, The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, Mayberry RFD, Joey Bishop Show and The Bill Dana Show all being
in the same "universe", you can throw in The Dick Van Dyke Show.
In "The Woman Behind the Jokes" episode of the Danny Thomas Show, Buddy Sorrell(Morey Amsterdam) makes an appearance.
In "The Danny Thomas Show" episode "Lucy Upsets the Williams Household" the Ricardo's move into Danny's apartment. So that's an I Love Lucy connection.
That makes 8 inter-connected TV series.
I'm not counting the following because that would be stretching it:
There was a crossover episode on the hour long sequel series of specials to I Love Lucy, the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour(1957-1960). Danny Thomas and his
TV family rent the Ricardos's home.

Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Antenna TV... runs the Bishop Show. Like the Andy Griffith Show, it was a spin off of The Danny Thomas Show, which means all 3 shows existed in the
same "universe" along with Gomer Pyle and Mayberry RFD and the Bill Dana Show which was another Danny Thomas spin off, making for 6 series in the
same "world".
An update. In addition to The Danny Thomas Show, The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, Mayberry RFD, Joey Bishop Show and The Bill Dana Show all being
in the same "universe", you can throw in The Dick Van Dyke Show.
In "The Woman Behind the Jokes" episode of the Danny Thomas Show, Buddy Sorrell(Morey Amsterdam) makes an appearance.
In "The Danny Thomas Show" episode "Lucy Upsets the Williams Household" the Ricardo's move into Danny's apartment. So that's an I Love Lucy connection.
That makes 8 inter-connected TV series.
I'm not counting the following because that would be stretching it:
There was a crossover episode on the hour long sequel series of specials to I Love Lucy, the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour(1957-1960). Danny Thomas and his
TV family rent the Ricardos's home.
Well, Dobie, for this you not only deserve a snort of Otis's elixir, Aunt Bee's pickle, and a date with Juanita and Miss Crump, but an extra date with Ellie (who I'd take in a second over Miss Cramp...err Crump) and a free haircut at Floyd's! Enjoy!! :D

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IT GOT BY THE CENSOR:
In the mid 20th century if a movie script wanted to infer a character was gay it used obscure slang such as gunsel.
In the Maltese Falcon Bogie continually refers to the young thug Wilmer as a gunsel. Portrayed by one of the greatest character actors
ever, the Magnum PI alumni Elisha Cook, Wilmer along with Peter Lorre's and Sydney Greenstreet's characters were all signaled to be homosexual
to the hip movie goer or the film student who picked up on the many visual cues in specific camera shots.
Another way was to use "sissy" actors such as Franklin Pangborn or the imposing actress Hope Emerson, both of whom made a career
out of such roles.
Early TV was loathe to even subtly convey a character was gay.
The first lesbian regular character was on Peter Gunn (1958-1961) starring Craig Stevens who channeled Cary Grant for his role as a suave PI.
Though neither the censors or network suits picked up on it.
Some time ago I was besotted by Lola Albright who starred as Gunn's singer girlfriend, in one of the sexiest acting turns in TV history.
Ginger and Mary Ann are like so much chopped liver next to Lola Albright's Edie.
So when MeTV started rerunning Gunn on Sunday nights I was able to watch it again and noticed all the sideways hints at "Mothers" sexuality.
Two examples -
Gunn's sultry singer girlfriend Edie(Lola Allbright) is waiting for him in the nearly deserted nightclub Mothers, in the wee hours.
Mother(Hope Emerson) being a matronly 6 foot 2 middle aged lady who could pass for Alan Hale in drag, only tougher.
Edie is at the bar, sadly reading her fortune with a Tarot card deck.
Peter Gunn enters and asks, "problem"?
Edie: "According to this I should be with Lawrence Welk! Want me to do yours?"
Edie flips over a card for Pete, sighs "I could kill myself" and reads Pete's fortune, "you will meet a beautiful woman, blonde, very rich".
Mother enthusiastically interjects, "I should have a deck like that".
They didn't write like that on Bonanza.
In the episode "The Briefcase" Gunn enters Mothers nightclub to meet a potential client.
Mother tells him the client(sexy Barbara Stuart) is waiting on the lanai.
Gunn - "Did she give you a name?"
Mother - "Cooper.(arching her eyebrows, disappointed) "MISSUS Cooper."
Gunn - "Well that's the way it goes, Mother."
Mother - "Yeah it sure does, don't it."

Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:IT GOT BY THE CENSOR:
In the mid 20th century if a movie script wanted to infer a character was gay it used obscure slang such as gunsel.
In the Maltese Falcon Bogie continually refers to the young thug Wilmer as a gunsel. Portrayed by one of the greatest character actors
ever, the Magnum PI alumni Elisha Cook, Wilmer along with Peter Lorre's and Sydney Greenstreet's characters were all signaled to be homosexual
to the hip movie goer or the film student who picked up on the many visual cues in specific camera shots.
Another way was to use "sissy" actors such as Franklin Pangborn or the imposing actress Hope Emerson, both of whom made a career
out of such roles.
Early TV was loathe to even subtly convey a character was gay.
The first lesbian regular character was on Peter Gunn (1958-1961) starring Craig Stevens who channeled Cary Grant for his role as a suave PI.
Though neither the censors or network suits picked up on it.
Some time ago I was besotted by Lola Albright who starred as Gunn's singer girlfriend, in one of the sexiest acting turns in TV history.
Ginger and Mary Ann are like so much chopped liver next to Lola Albright's Edie.
So when MeTV started rerunning Gunn on Sunday nights I was able to watch it again and noticed all the sideways hints at "Mothers" sexuality.
Two examples -
Gunn's sultry singer girlfriend Edie(Lola Allbright) is waiting for him in the nearly deserted nightclub Mothers, in the wee hours.
Mother(Hope Emerson) being a matronly 6 foot 2 middle aged lady who could pass for Alan Hale in drag, only tougher.
Edie is at the bar, sadly reading her fortune with a Tarot card deck.
Peter Gunn enters and asks, "problem"?
Edie: "According to this I should be with Lawrence Welk! Want me to do yours?"
Edie flips over a card for Pete, sighs "I could kill myself" and reads Pete's fortune, "you will meet a beautiful woman, blonde, very rich".
Mother enthusiastically interjects, "I should have a deck like that".
They didn't write like that on Bonanza.
In the episode "The Briefcase" Gunn enters Mothers nightclub to meet a potential client.
Mother tells him the client(sexy Barbara Stuart) is waiting on the lanai.
Gunn - "Did she give you a name?"
Mother - "Cooper.(arching her eyebrows, disappointed) "MISSUS Cooper."
Gunn - "Well that's the way it goes, Mother."
Mother - "Yeah it sure does, don't it."
Funny you mentioned BONANZA. Maybe they didn't write for it like that but I'll take it in a heartbeat over GUNN. :) Love the show! When I think of my favorite show of the 60s it usually boils down to a tie between BONANZA, ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. Big fan of BIG VALLEY too but BONANZA is my preferred choice - nothing against the Barkley boys but they just aren't a match for the Cartwright boys (in particular Hoss and Little Joe - man, did those 2 get involved in some hilarious adventures!!! :lol:). What I love about BONANZA is that you could go from a really dark and disturbing episode like the classic "The Crucible" (with a deranged Lee Marvin!!) to some of the most hilarious episodes you could ever hope to experience in a TV western, like "Old Sheba" (with the elephant on the Ponderosa) or "Ponderosa Birdman" (where Hoss is goaded by Joe into taking flight - seriously!!). Then there's dramatic moments with Little Joe being stricken with fear of heights in "Between Heaven and Earth" leading to nightmares and him lashing out at the family. Truly a "variety show" if there ever was one - you never knew what you were going to get. Whether it went dark or light - it was always a joy to watch! Even THE BIG VALLEY tried a couple of funny episodes, clearly inspired by BONANZA, but the results just weren't quite the same. Nobody could do it like Hoss and Little Joe, with Ben and Adam being the perfect foils for them.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Ivan the Terrible wrote:
Funny you mentioned BONANZA. Maybe they didn't write for it like that but I'll take it in a heartbeat over GUNN. :) Love the show! When I think of my favorite show of the 60s it usually boils down to a tie between BONANZA, ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. Big fan of BIG VALLEY too but BONANZA is my preferred choice - nothing against the Barkley boys but they just aren't a match for the Cartwright boys (in particular Hoss and Little Joe - man, did those 2 get involved in some hilarious adventures!!! :lol:). What I love about BONANZA is that you could go from a really dark and disturbing episode like the classic "The Crucible" (with a deranged Lee Marvin!!) to some of the most hilarious episodes you could ever hope to experience in a TV western, like "Old Sheba" (with the elephant on the Ponderosa) or "Ponderosa Birdman" (where Hoss is goaded by Joe into taking flight - seriously!!). Then there's dramatic moments with Little Joe being stricken with fear of heights in "Between Heaven and Earth" leading to nightmares and him lashing out at the family. Truly a "variety show" if there ever was one - you never knew what you were going to get. Whether it went dark or light - it was always a joy to watch! Even THE BIG VALLEY tried a couple of funny episodes, clearly inspired by BONANZA, but the results just weren't quite the same. Nobody could do it like Hoss and Little Joe, with Ben and Adam being the perfect foils for them.

Ivan,
I can't disagree with any of the above, as I am a Bonanza coo coo as well. I even contributed in a small, small way to David Greenland's book on Bonanza.
In the intro he tells of a lad being egged on by his pals to shoplift model paint with them.
The kid had given in and was about to enter a life of crime when he spotted a lunchbox with his hero Hoss Cartwright on it.
Shamed, he put the paint back on the shelf. Yup, that drippy kid was me.
Don't let anyone ever tell you TV doesn't influence kids or give them values. For good or bad.
My favorite Bonanza episode, Ivan? No ifs, ands or buts, it's Hoss and the Leprechauns. Even ultra serious Pernell Roberts was having a good time in it.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IN JOKE:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) is one of the best films of all time.
It starred Humphrey Bogart as Fred C. Dobbs, one of the great film characters.
Many screenplay writers have gotten his name into a TV series or movie in a sneaky way.
A reference to a destroyer as the USS Fred C. Dobbs, for example.
In the Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, grocer and father of Dobie, Herbert Gillis is ashamed that his son might find out he
is going back to school to get his high school diploma.
So he attends night classes under the name Fred C. Dobbs("The Second Childhood of Herbert T. Gillis").
There is the worst MASH episode of all time, hated by the cast, especially Alan Alda.
Titled "Major Fred C. Dobbs", it is a real stinker. Alan Alda - "it was the low point of the series."
The author of the novel The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, B. Traven, was and is the subject of one of the greatest literary
mysteries of all time.
Untold numbers of articles, books and TV shows have tried to determine who he was, at best they have narrowed it down to 3 choices.
Traven did show up out of the desert one day on the set of the movie, pretending to be the agent for B. Traven, though director
John Huston knew the score.

Fred C. Dobbs Rides Again:

I have my own brush with Fred C. Dobbs to relate.
I always made dinner reservations under that name at a local Mexican joint whose maitre'd Jose seated my party many times,
always greeting me at the door with "Hello Mister Fred C."
I was at the Elizabeth courthouse and had been seated in the jury box when I noticed Jose frantically talking to a court officer,
who then approached the judge. I gave Jose a little wave and a smile.
The judge ordered me to remain seated while he sent the jury out, then demanded proof of my real identity.
(Jersey car licenses then were paper and did not include your photo)
"He's Fred C. Dobbs, your honor, I swear it, not the name 'Michael - ' , he answered to when they called him up to be seated.
He's up to something, judge", Jose helpfully interjected before I could respond myself.
Gracias, amigo.
It took half an hour of explanations to convince the judge I was on the level, that I thought it was funny to use the Dobbs name in
a Mexican restaurant, though they still checked my license with Trenton while I was scrambling to avoid a trip to a cell.
These days I am not tempted even a little bit to use the name Fredo Corleone when making reservations in a Italian restaurant.
Just call me Fred C, er Michael, um, Dobie will do. Dobie with a "B", not "P".
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Ivan the Terrible wrote:

Ivan,
I can't disagree with any of the above, as I am a Bonanza coo coo as well. I even contributed in a small, small way to David Greenland's book on Bonanza.
In the intro he tells of a lad being egged on by his pals to shoplift model paint with them.
The kid had given in and was about to enter a life of crime when he spotted a lunchbox with his hero Hoss Cartwright on it.
Don't let anyone ever tell you TV doesn't influence kids or give them values. For good or bad.
My favorite Bonanza episode, Ivan? No ifs, ands or buts, it's Hoss and the Leprechauns. Even ultra serious Pernell Roberts was having a good time in it.
This is what's so great about old shows. Not only were they genuinely entertaining and well done and acted, but they actually taught good values. Heroes were heroes and villains were villains, none of this wishy-washy stuff we get today where the hero's moral compass is shot to hell. We're supposed to marvel at the "great" acting on today's TV (because, you know, acting back in the day was cheesy and no good, riiiiiiiight :roll:) but where's the feel good factor in the stories? Where is the positive message? Why can't I sit my kids down without being worried what they will see, even on network TV? It's a real shame.

I'll be honest that I always thought "Hoss and the Leprechauns" was just a tad overrated. :wink: Don't get me wrong, funny episode to be sure!! But for whatever reason it doesn't quite make my top 5 list of humorous episodes. I guess it doesn't help matters that whenever a comedic episode is mentioned this one ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, is mentioned as being the definitive #1. No one even bothers mentioning the other classics. I guess that's why I find it a tad overrated.

I haven't seen every comedic episode on the show (there's a lot I haven't seen post-season 11) but off the top of my head my top 5 would be:

1. Walter and the Outlaws / Any Friend of Walter's (Hoss's hijinx with Obie and his dog just crack me up every time!!)
2. Old Sheba
3. The Saga of Muley Jones
4. Ponderosa Matador
5. Ponderosa Birdman

Hoss and the Leprechauns falls just shy of making that list but no doubt it's a great comedic episode!

Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:IN JOKE:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) is one of the best films of all time.
It starred Humphrey Bogart as Fred C. Dobbs, one of the great film characters.
Many screenplay writers have gotten his name into a TV series or movie in a sneaky way.
A reference to a destroyer as the USS Fred C. Dobbs, for example.
In the Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, grocer and father of Dobie, Herbert Gillis is ashamed that his son might find out he
is going back to school to get his high school diploma.
So he attends night classes under the name Fred C. Dobbs("The Second Childhood of Herbert T. Gillis").
There is the worst MASH episode of all time, hated by the cast, especially Alan Alda.
Titled "Major Fred C. Dobbs", it is a real stinker. Alan Alda - "it was the low point of the series."
The author of the novel The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, B. Traven, was and is the subject of one of the greatest literary
mysteries of all time.
Untold numbers of articles, books and TV shows have tried to determine who he was, at best they have narrowed it down to 3 choices.
Traven did show up out of the desert one day on the set of the movie, pretending to be the agent for B. Traven, though director
John Huston knew the score.

Fred C. Dobbs Rides Again:

I have my own brush with Fred C. Dobbs to relate.
I always made dinner reservations under that name at a local Mexican joint whose maitre'd Jose seated my party many times,
always greeting me at the door with "Hello Mister Fred C."
I was at the Elizabeth courthouse and had been seated in the jury box when I noticed Jose frantically talking to a court officer,
who then approached the judge. I gave Jose a little wave and a smile.
The judge ordered me to remain seated while he sent the jury out, then demanded proof of my real identity.
"He's Fred C. Dobbs, your honor, I swear it, not the name 'Michael - ' , he answered to when they called him up to be seated.
He's up to something, judge", Jose helpfully interjected before I could respond myself.
Gracias, amigo.
It took half an hour of explanations to convince the judge I was on the level, that I thought it was funny to use the Dobbs name in
a Mexican restaurant, though they still checked my license with Trenton while I was scrambling to avoid a trip to a cell.
These days I am not tempted even a little bit to use the name Fredo Corleone when making reservations in a Italian restaurant.
Just call me Fred C, er Michael, um, Dobie will do. Dobie with a "B", not "P".
:lol: Haha! Funny story!! No more using movie characters aliases, buddy! As per the title of an old Five-O episode... "Practical Jokes Can Kill You". :wink:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:

Ivan,
This is what's so great about old shows. Not only were they genuinely entertaining and well done and acted, but they actually taught good values. Heroes were heroes and villains were villains, none of this wishy-washy stuff we get today where the hero's moral compass is shot to hell. We're supposed to marvel at the "great" acting on today's TV (because, you know, acting back in the day was cheesy and no good, riiiiiiiight :roll:) but where's the feel good factor in the stories? Where is the positive message? Why can't I sit my kids down without being worried what they will see, even on network TV? It's a real shame.

I'll be honest that I always thought "Hoss and the Leprechauns" was just a tad overrated. :wink: Don't get me wrong, funny episode to be sure!! But for whatever reason it doesn't quite make my top 5 list of humorous episodes. I guess it doesn't help matters that whenever a comedic episode is mentioned this one ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, is mentioned as being the definitive #1. No one even bothers mentioning the other classics. I guess that's why I find it a tad overrated.
I haven't seen every comedic episode on the show (there's a lot I haven't seen post-season 11) but off the top of my head my top 5 would be:

1. Walter and the Outlaws / Any Friend of Walter's (Hoss's hijinx with Obie and his dog just crack me up every time!!)
2. Old Sheba
4. Ponderosa Matador
5. Ponderosa Birdman

Hoss and the Leprechauns falls just shy of making that list but no doubt it's a great comedic episode!
Dag nab it, I forgot about "Walter and the Outlaws" and it's sequel. You changed my mind, I'm going with Walter.
I have read where people claim Walter was played by My 3 Sons' doggie, Tramp, but I don't know for sure.
For my money Home Alone is a direct steal of Walter and the Outlaws, Macaulay Culkin's role being a human
version of Walter.

Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:

Ivan,

2. Old Sheba
4. Ponderosa Matador
5. Ponderosa Birdman

Dag nab it, I forgot about "Walter and the Outlaws" and it's sequel. You changed my mind, I'm going with Walter.
I have read where people claim Walter was played by My 3 Sons' doggie, Tramp, but I don't know for sure.
For my money Home Alone is a direct steal of Walter and the Outlaws, Macaulay Culkin's role being a human
version of Walter.
:lol: That's true about HOME ALONE! I get a kick out of watching Walter toss the ransom money down the well and then seeing the 3 jokers trying to retrieve the money by basically lowering each other down the well by holding each other's feet, hoping to form some kind of human rope LOL! :lol: Only on BONANZA!!!! Oh, one of the jokers (the one who wants to ditch this dog-napping business and wants to go back to "robberin'" lol) is played by James Luisi (Lt. Chapman on ROCKFORD FILES). He's very good in his comic turns!! And of course Arthur Hunnicutt is a treasure as Obie. His faith in Walter is unwavering! :D

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Until the last few years Australian TV series weren't well known in the US but with the advent of so many new platforms they are finally getting their due.
The Australian cop show City Homicide follows 4 young detectives and their veteran boss as they solve murders in Melbourne, Victoria.
Currently available on YouTube - excellent visual quality as opposed to some You Tube fare - it is a far better use of your time than watching the usual
cheaply filmed cookie cutter Law & Order rerun for the 10th time with it's stock footage of NYC.
Why not check out the action in the Big Smoke(city) of Melbourne instead?

IN JOKE -
In the second season episode "Life After Death" at the 5:20 mark, Sgt.Wolf directs his squad to contact the "Water Police" just as Detective
Freeman(Aaron Pedersen) enters the room. Pedersen of course had become a star as a cop on Water Rats, the outstanding police drama about the
Water Police(in Sydney).

I didn't care for 2 of the young cops at first but after a couple of episodes the series found it's feet and it's terrific. And that's fair dinkum.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#60 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Some random It Got By The Censors/In Jokes -

Bowery Boy's Gabe(Gabriel Dell) to Sach(Huntz Hall), who has been transformed into a werewolf like monster:
"Don't you remember when we were kids and wrote our names in the snow?"

In the first season of Coach, watch for veiled references to Newhart, which shared a number of behind the scenes talent with Coach.
Such as Shelly Fabray's character Christine, referencing How To Do It Books by Dick Loudon. Loudon being Bob Newhart's character on
the Vermont set Newhart. Fabray also had guested on Newhart.

It Got By The Studio:
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."
...Clint Eastwood as Josey Wales in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" (1976)
Good movie but the writer was a senior member of the KKK and penned Governor George Wallace's infamous "Segregation Now, Segregation
Forever" speech.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“If it's not true don’t say it. If it's not yours don’t take it and if it’s not right don’t do it.”
Family motto of James Drury of "The Virginian" fame.