It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: It Got By The Censor/In Jokes

#31 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IN JOKE:
In the Danger Man episode "Your Not In Any Trouble, Are You?" agent John Drake selects a book to read. Titled Death By Midnight by Sydney Cole.
The producer of the Danger Man series was named Sydney Cole.
Series star Patrick McGoohan was not British as everyone thought. His Irish parents were living in Queens when he was born. They later moved back to Ireland, then
after that moved to Britain and became British subjects. McGoohan got his schooling in Ireland and England, became a star in Britain but remained a proud
American - and Irish - citizen.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

It Got By The Censors:
The Italian profanity Va' a fare in culo means "go do it in a rear".
Shortened by Italian Americans to vaffanculo or more commonly fongool it means FU here in the States.
It shows up surprisingly often in movies and TV.
In a Barney Miller episode detective Wojo(Max Gail) is undercover in a hotel and gives a bellboy a lousy tip.
The bellboy looks at the change and says "fongool".
In the stage musical "Grease" the character Rizzo sings a song to an imaginary Elvis Presley:

Elvis, Elvis, let me be!
Keep that pelvis far from me!
Just keep your cool
Now you're starting to drool
Hey fongool, I'm Sandra Dee

So if the guy in your local pizza joint ever smiles and lays a "fongool" on you, now you know it ain't a blessing.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IN JOKE:
In the 1966 color film "Munster Go Home", Herman(Fred Gwynne) and Grandpa(Al Lewis) discover in the dungeon of their English manor mounds of phony
pound notes as well as the printing press of British counterfeiters(Richard Dawson).
Herman excitedly calls for help, yelling out "Car 54 where are you?".
The extremely funny "Car 54" was Gwynne's previous series wherein he played a NYPD police officer, along with Al Lewis.
Universal filmed this movie after the Munsters series was cancelled, mainly to introduce European audiences to the TV series as it was about to debut there.
It also paired it as the second feature in American cinemas back when they had double features.
Universal did the same thing with "McHales Navy Joins the Air Force", also filmed in color after the series ended.
These flicks were filmed basically on the budget of 3 TV episodes what with all the talent already assembled.
Paramount followed Universals lead and strung together episodes of "Bonanza" as stand alone movies for the European market.
"Danger Man" did the same with it's last two(and only color) episodes.
"The Saint" strung together 4 episodes to make two movies as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you're lonely when you're alone, you're in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by MHTR »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:It Got By The Censors:
Shortened by Italian Americans to vaffanculo or more commonly fongool it means FU here in the States.
Reading your post here made me laugh. If I had a nickle for every time I heard one of my old-timer relatives say that when I was young, I'd be rich.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:It Got By The Censors:
Reading your post here made me laugh. If I had a nickle for every time I heard one of my old-timer relatives say that when I was young, I'd be rich.
MHTR, 
I'm glad you got a chuckle, paesan.
 I was thinking the Magnum Maniacs might be mortadafam to capish this fanabola. Not that I'm Italian but a lot of my buddies growing up were.
When we got older and went in to the City on dates, I noticed we got much better service or a free dessert when my friends threw in the colloquial
Italian in Italian restaurants.
That reminds me: After my friend Hong got established here after settling in Jersey as a ex ARVN member fleeing the vindictive
North Vietnamese in Saigon, he took me to a Chinese joint on Pell as a gesture of thanks for helping him. I chose the place because I had been there
many times before. I was struck that after he addressed the waiter in Chinese, we got special menus that I had never seen before filled with exotic
Asian goodies. I learned that it wasn't unusual for such places to have one menu for the Americans and one for the Chinese, as the more authentic
Chinese version had food that was far spicier, or had food whose very presence might offend Americans such as fertilized bird eggs, where you
eat the young chicken embryo, beak and feet and eyes and all.
I passed on the chick in the egg, despite the old adage "when in Rome do as the Romans do".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to order breakfast like the Beatniks on "77 Sunset Strip":
"I'll have an order of Cackleberries with two oinks and a haystack, java and squeeze Bossy."
That's scrambled eggs, 2 link sausages and hash browns, plus coffee with milk.
Heck of a lot more appetizing than a fertilized bird egg.

Steve-O
Commander

#36 Post by Steve-O »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: ...food whose very presence might offend Americans such as fertilized bird eggs, where you eat the young chicken embryo, beak and feet and eyes and all.
I passed on the chick in the egg, despite the old adage "when in Rome do as the Romans do".
When I worked in the Gulf, I was told by other western expats: make sure when you get groceries in the souk, you avoid the eggs with the single purple dot stamped on it. Apparently, Filipino expats were keen on these. They were called "baluts". I'm usually good to try new things as well, but just couldn't bring myself to try this. BBQ'd tarantulas in Cambodia might have been easier!

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#37 Post by MHTR »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I was struck that after he addressed the waiter in Chinese, we got special menus that I had never seen before filled with exotic
Asian goodies. I learned that it wasn't unusual for such places to have one menu for the Americans and one for the Chinese, as the more authentic
Chinese version had food that was far spicier, or had food whose very presence might offend Americans such as fertilized bird eggs, where you
That's called "Balut" by Filipinos (it's usually duck eggs, but can also be chicken). My wife is from the Philippines. Thankfully she doesn't eat that. I wouldn't even think of touching it.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: I was struck that after he addressed the waiter in Chinese, we got special menus that I had never seen before filled with exotic
That's called "Balut" by Filipinos (it's usually duck eggs, but can also be chicken). My wife is from the Philippines. Thankfully she doesn't eat that. I wouldn't even think of touching it.
MHTR,
Maybe we are missing out on something tasty with the fertilized bird eggs. I vote you ask your wife to get one for you and you could share your reaction.
Thanking you in advance, I am giving you a tip of the hat for taking one for the Magnum Mania Team. Tip tip.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Steve-O wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: ...food whose very presence might offend Americans such as fertilized bird eggs, where you eat the young chicken embryo, beak and feet and eyes and all.
When I worked in the Gulf, I was told by other western expats: make sure when you get groceries in the souk, you avoid the eggs with the single purple dot stamped on it. Apparently, Filipino expats were keen on these. They were called "baluts". I'm usually good to try new things as well, but just couldn't bring myself to try this. BBQ'd tarantulas in Cambodia might have been easier!
Hi Steve-O,
BBQ'd spider? Four or five beers and I'd try that. That's the route I took in Montreal, my buddies promised me a bottle of wine of my choice if I ate the snail appetizer.
It was great, like mushrooms in a garlic sauce.

Steve, if you or anyone else reading these posts know of any "in jokes" or "it got by the censor" items, please share with us.
For example one of the writers for the Lone Ranger came up with Tonto's name for the Ranger, "Kemosabe".
He was from NY and a member of the Five Nations of the Iroquois and a wise guy.
Kemosabe was a Iroquois slang word from his youth meaning "shithead". The older Indians of the time who knew the meaning kept it to themselves but got
a good laugh listening to the radio in the 1940's every time Tonto laid it on the Masked Man.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue May 12, 2020 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#40 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
MHTR wrote:
MHTR,
Maybe we are missing out on something tasty with the fertilized bird eggs. I vote you ask your wife to get one for you and you could share your reaction.
Thanking you in advance, I am giving you a tip of the hat for taking one for the Magnum Mania Team. Tip tip.
I’ve had balut before. A buddy of mine married a Cambodian woman several years ago. It’s eaten throughout Southeast Asia, I was told. We went and ate in the Cambodia Town neighborhood here in Long Beach and I tried it. It wasn’t bad. It’s more mental than anything. The warm liquid inside was kind of like a savory broth and the yolk was very creamy and I liked it actually. The duck embryo wasn’t a bad flavor but you were crunching a bit on the bones and the like. I can’t say it was great but I’ve tasted much worse.

Another friends wife is Serbian and I tried some kind of liquor from there that tasted like rotten vegetables and dirt. The worst part was I couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth. We were sitting around his fire pit totally hammered and everyone was still complaining they could taste the stuff. I can’t remember the name of it. I had some other interesting food at the Cambodian wedding reception of my buddy. There were these fried little quails and a seafood soup with all kinds of unrecognizable stuff in it. It was this multi-course feast and I liked it all.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Steve-O wrote:
Hi Steve-O,
BBQ'd spider? Four or five beers and I'd try that. That's the route I took in Montreal, my buddies promised me a bottle of wine of my choice if I ate the snail appetizer.
It was great, like mushrooms in a garlic sauce.

Steve, if you or anyone else reading these posts know of any "in jokes" or "it got by the censor" items, please share with us.
For example one of the writers for the Lone Ranger came up with Tonto's name for the Ranger, "Kemosabe".
He was from NY and a member of the Five Nations of the Iroquois and a wise guy.
Kemosabe was a Iroquois slang word from his youth meaning "shithead". The older Indians of the time who knew the meaning kept it to themselves but got
a good laugh listening to the radio in the 1940's every time Tonto laid it on the Masked Man.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dobie, that's too funny!! But now you've ruined The Lone Ranger for me for all eternity! To think that Jay Silverheels is calling Clayton Moore a "shithead" every time he says "kemosabe" is just too much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Ivan the Terrible wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dobie, that's too funny!! But now you've ruined The Lone Ranger for me for all eternity! To think that Jay Silverheels is calling Clayton Moore a "shithead" every time he says "kemosabe" is just too much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Ivan,
I agree with you, that's why I love this inside stuff. Here is another one:

The rustic town of Mayberry was based on the real Mount Airy, North Carolina – Andy Griffith’s hometown.
In the episode “A Black Day For Mayberry” you can clearly see the words Mount Airy on the side of a phone book sitting on the sheriff’s desk.
Griffith also snuck in the names of several childhood friends to use for minor characters during the series run.
Star Trek used the Mayberry set in the episodes “Miri” and “City on the Edge of Forever.” You can clearly see "Floyd’s Barbershop"
emblazoned on the front window of his shop as well as the Mayberry Courthouse in a couple of scenes.
In the 1960's TV series Green Hornet, whenever the Green Hornet roared out in his car onto the crime ridden streets of a darkly
lit city, the sharp eyed viewer will note the set is Mayberry as the Hornet and his driver Kato(Bruce Lee) roar by the Courthorse.
You half expect Opie to be wearing gang colors on the corner while selling drugs to Goober and Gomer Pyle.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Ivan the Terrible wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dobie, that's too funny!! But now you've ruined The Lone Ranger for me for all eternity! To think that Jay Silverheels is calling Clayton Moore a "shithead" every time he says "kemosabe" is just too much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Ivan,

The rustic town of Mayberry was based on the real Mount Airy, North Carolina – Andy Griffith’s hometown.
In the episode “A Black Day For Mayberry” you can clearly see the words Mount Airy on the side of a phone book sitting on the sheriff’s desk.
Griffith also snuck in the names of several childhood friends to use for minor characters during the series run.
Star Trek used the Mayberry set in the episodes “Miri” and “City on the Edge of Forever.” You can clearly see "Floyd’s Barbershop"
emblazoned on the front window of his shop as well as the Mayberry Courthouse in a couple of scenes.
In the 1960's TV series Green Hornet, whenever the Green Hornet roared out in his car onto the crime ridden streets of a darkly
lit city, the sharp eyed viewer will note the set is Mayberry as the Hornet and his driver Kato(Bruce Lee) roar by the Courthorse.
You half expect Opie to be wearing gang colors on the corner while selling drugs to Goober and Gomer Pyle.
Ah, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. Now you're talking! One of the finest pieces of television ever created. Such a rare gem! Nothing like it at the time or since! Truly a lightning in a bottle. Everything just came together - Andy and Don, what a team! Those 2 alone were enough to tune in (or heck, Barney alone was reason enough) but we were treated to additional secondary characters that would be the envy of any other show - Floyd, Otis, Gomer, Goober! Really I can't think of another show that had such a stellar ensemble. Many criticize the color episodes (after Don left) and while it's true that those last 3 seasons weren't as good as the first 5 it was still way better than any other "sitcom" out there at the time. Though I think TAGS was much more than a simple sitcom, difficult to even peg the show. At times it could be a more effective drama than even real "dramas". Even without Don Knotts there were plenty of other interesting Mayberry folk that made it a joy for us to visit with. Honestly one of the greatest shows ever conceived!

And yes the Mayberry courthouse and that whole town set was featured in numerous TV productions at the time.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IvanTheTerrible wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Ivan the Terrible wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dobie, that's too funny!! But now you've ruined The Lone Ranger for me for all eternity! To think that Jay Silverheels is calling Clayton Moore a "shithead" every time he says "kemosabe" is just too much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Ivan,

Ah, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW. Now you're talking! One of the finest pieces of television ever created. Such a rare gem! Nothing like it at the time or since! Truly a lightning in a bottle. Everything just came together - Andy and Don, what a team! Those 2 alone were enough to tune in (or heck, Barney alone was reason enough) but we were treated to additional secondary characters that would be the envy of any other show - Floyd, Otis, Gomer, Goober! Really I can't think of another show that had such a stellar ensemble. Many criticize the color episodes (after Don left) and while it's true that those last 3 seasons weren't as good as the first 5 it was still way better than any other "sitcom" out there at the time. Though I think TAGS was much more than a simple sitcom, difficult to even peg the show. At times it could be a more effective drama than even real "dramas". Even without Don Knotts there were plenty of other interesting Mayberry folk that made it a joy for us to visit with. Honestly one of the greatest shows ever conceived!
And yes the Mayberry courthouse and that whole town set was featured in numerous TV productions at the time.
Ivan,
I love your post, spot on in every respect. People disparage TV as somehow below other types of Art. But I think The Andy Griffith Show is great Art, a celebration
of the best part of our culture. Beautifully rendered Americana. Mark Twain would watch it.
As you know, Ivan, it didn't get cheap laughs from never ending one liners - like the much honored "Veep" that I consider crap - but from who the characters were.
If you read a scene concerning Barney being allowed to take the one and only bullet he was issued and put it into his pistol, it's not funny.
But when you see it on your TV it is hysterical, only because it flows from who Barney is. And Knott's comedic chops.
You can see the real pilot for TAGS on You Tube, it's the Danny Thomas Show episode titled "Danny Meets Andy Griffith". "Aunt Bea" plays another character.
And keep your eye out for the episode "Joey's Hideaway Cabin" of the Joey Bishop Show. Don Knots appears in his Mayberry uniform, billed in the credits as
"Deputy Sheriff Don Knots played by Barney Fife".
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IN JOKE:
In Magnum episode 111, The Hotel Dick, around the 29/ 30 minute mark Magnum explains to Clyde the hotel manager that he wasn't
talking to anyone in his room, rather -

"I had the tv on. You know one of those silly family sitcoms with these cute little kids and the father, see, he's a doctor"

The night this episode aired, October 17, 1985, The Cosby Show, about a Doctor and his cute little kids, was running on NBC opposite Magnum PI.