Need show recommendations

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

eagle
Fleet Admiral

Need show recommendations

#1 Post by eagle »

Hi, all.

I need a new show recommendation. I recently finished watching Veronica Mars, and I need a new detective show to watch.

Other recent favorites have been Psych, Monk, Castle, Blue Bloods. I also like shows like Law & Order, Simon & Simon, Rockford Files. Spooks (AKA "MI-5") was also very good.

Any suggestions on a new detective show I should check out? Ideally I'd be looking for something that I can stream on Hulu or Netflix. If I can stream it for free from other sites, that's fine too.

I'd love to check out Bosch, but I don't have access to Amazon Prime Video.

Thanks.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re: Need show recommendations

#2 Post by K Hale »

Try “Shetland” on Netflix.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi eagle,
If you want something with a different vibe, check out Murder Call(56 episodes)on You Tube. It's about a Australian homicide squad.
I prefer Water Rats(177 episodes). Water Rats is the nickname for the Sydney Water Police who enforce the Law both around and on
Sydney Harbour. Shot on location at possibly the most photogenic harbor in the world. Attractive cast and superior writing, the first
season ends with a brilliant arc of episodes, the last one could have been crafted by Martin Scorsese, the final scene in a graveyard is both
visually and dramatically outstanding.
Even average episodes are of interest as you aren't looking at the same old, same old settings (NYC etc)of Law and Order and other American
set crime dramas. Learn things such as you don't put shrimp on the barbie, you use prawns. Laugh at the dimwit crims who, having grown up
watching American cop shows and movies, "plead the 5th" to detectives interrogating them.
Learn to order chook(chicken), lie dog-o(still), live in the Big Smoke(city) and not to ever dob(inform on). You too can have a veranda over the
toy shop(beer gut) and know that you live in God's Own Country and are thus copping it sweet.
While you as a Seppo will never be mistaken for a dinki di, true blue, fair dinkum cobber, at least you will get points for learning the lingo and
then it's Bobs your uncle and you will be allowed to buy the first shout(round) of VB.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by eagle »

Thanks for these recommendations, guys. I'll check them out!

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by T.Q. »

I like Longmire a lot.

Walt had some Magnumesque qualities.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hey Eagle,
Check out "Mr Mercedes " filmed in South Carolina and starring our very own (Irish of course) exceptionally talented Brendan Gleeson. A gritty detective series with some equally gritty verbal humour. You might remember Brendan Gleeson as the Sherrif in Lake Placid (1999). He has also recently been signed up to play Donald Trump in an upcoming CBS mini series. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hey Eagle,
Check out "Mr Mercedes " filmed in South Carolina and starring our very own (Irish of course) exceptionally talented Brendan Gleeson. A gritty detective series with some equally gritty verbal humour. You might remember Brendan Gleeson as the Sherrif in Lake Placid (1999). He has also recently been signed up to play Donald Trump in an upcoming CBS mini series. :)
Terryfromkerry,
I looked up "Mr. Mercedes", it has 30 episodes to date and runs on the Audience network.
Brendan Gleeson is brilliant and promotes the speaking of Irish which he is fluent in. I loved him in The Guard, I'm surprised it isn't better known.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ignorant and prejudiced people like to be deceived. Why confuse them with the truth?"
...Paladin (Have Gun Will Travel)

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi nephew,
The Guard was very popular here of course. If you can source them I'd recommend Calvery (2014) & In Bruges (2008). These are just two of his many great performances. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#9 Post by ConchRepublican »

I second T.Q. in regards to Longmire, very good series.

If you haven't seen The Shield I recommend it, though it's a bit dark.

My top two would be Justified and Burn Notice (which I was turned onto from this forum) both VERY good.

I also really enjoyed The Glades (on Hulu), Life and The Finder (only one season sadly).

Let us know what you go with!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

The Irishman on Netflix is a must. The performance by Joe Pesci is some of the best acting I have ever seen.........

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by eagle »

Thanks. We started "Water Rats" but made it halfway through the first episode. It's a great show, but we were so exhausted and we haven't gotten back to it yet. Hopefully tonight.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by terryfromkerry »

Steve wrote:The Irishman on Netflix is a must. The performance by Joe Pesci is some of the best acting I have ever seen.........
I'll second that emotion Steve. Great recommendation!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by eagle »

We finished the first ep of Water Rats last night. Not sure my wife will stick with it, but I'll watch. Great show!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

eagle wrote:We finished the first ep of Water Rats last night. Not sure my wife will stick with it, but I'll watch. Great show!
Eagle,
Good for you, or rather "good on you".
Water Rats is available on You Tube though that can be fuzzy at times and in the comments sections malicious idiots will reveal future happenings
that ruin how you view a character.
I accessed Water Rats today for the first time thru something called "tubi", much better quality picture.
This link -

http://www.australiantelevision.net/wat ... rrats.html

at the Australian Television Information Archive has info on the stars, episode guide, news stories etc. I wouldn't read any of the news stories till I saw
the whole series as they reveal major plot lines.
The archive also lists dozens of other Australian TV series and mini series. Since the big success of
the Doctor Blake Mysteries on PBS we will probably be seeing more Australian TV over here.
As for your wife, her choices are up to her of course.
But many TV series don't quite find their rhythm in the initial episode. Seinfeld's first abbreviated season wasn't all that good.
The Odd Couple didn't start firing on all cylinders till 10 or 12 episodes in. Rockford Files had a different actor as "Rocky".
Happy Days and Dobie Gillis had older brothers to Richie and Dobie who were soon dropped.
The first episodes of Bonanza had Ben as an almost crazed bible thumping refugee from the Old Testament who was ready
to kill people who happened to trespass on his ranch that was bigger than Rhode Island. Hoss was a near idiot.
Hop Sing was deemed a "celestial star gazer". They had the Cartwrights singing the Bonanza theme song as they rode out of
Virginia City, it was so hokey it was cut out of the episode after the first viewing and it was never seen again till Michael Landon showed it in a
special about the history of television 30 years later. If you ever run across it, it is a hoot.
In any event Eagle, enjoy Water Rats.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by eagle »

Thanks for the tip - we've switched to watching via Tubi TV -- and we're considering upgrading our gen3 Apple TV so that we don't have to plug a laptop in via HDMI or use AirPlay.

Also, we noticed "Silk Stalkings" on Hulu and watched the first episode the other day. Not sure we'll continue - it's pretty risqué.

But "Water Rats" is great!