THE ROOKIE

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

THE ROOKIE

#1 Post by KingKC »

My wife and I have been watching and enjoying this show with Nathan Fillion (Castle). It is not a groundbreaking concept and Nathan Fillion is clearly the attraction but we enjoy it so far. Has anyone else watched it and do you have any comments?

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: THE ROOKIE

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Yes my wife and I love it! Good balance of drama and humour. We were fans of Castle and were delighted to hear Nathan Fillion was back in a new show. It is certainly one of the better shows of this autumn TV crop. His particular leading man style, his good looks and screen presense I feel is very similiar to that of Tom Selleck.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by eagle »

Yes, we've been enjoying it as well. We've tried a bunch of new shows recently, and this is the only one that took. The other shows we checked out included 9-1-1 and FBI. We find The Rookie to be a good mix of serious and fun.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by KingKC »

eagle wrote:Yes, we've been enjoying it as well. We've tried a bunch of new shows recently, and this is the only one that took. The other shows we checked out included 9-1-1 and FBI. We find The Rookie to be a good mix of serious and fun.
We, too, hoped for more shows to keep our attention this year but they didn't. We have two carryovers from last year with The Good Doctor and Bull. Since they are shown at the same time we record one and watch the other, We look for movies and reruns. We still watch some Dateline episodes but sometimes we get a little weary of, and somewhat scared by, true crime. Much of the time we read novels and ironically much of it is crime fiction. I think my wife and I have a little bit of "investigator" in us.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Chris109 »

Nathan Fillion is another one of those celebs who are anti-gun and yet does a show/movie with guns. Just like Liam Neeson.

However, I do love Firefly.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by KingKC »

Chris109 wrote:Nathan Fillion is another one of those celebs who are anti-gun and yet does a show/movie with guns. Just like Liam Neeson.
He knows which side of his bread is buttered. A lot of people can separate their personal beliefs and their professional life. And for the kind of money he makes I could do a lot of separating.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by terryfromkerry »

On a positive note about Liam Neeson. We are very proud of him here in Ireland. He is very involved in charitable work with UNICEF specifically and several other very creditable charities. I appreciate the gun ownership issue is a very serious and devisive matter in the USA. I believe however that Liam Neeson is someone with immense integrity and a good heart.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#8 Post by ConchRepublican »

This is our favorite new show this season! I never watched Castle but and enjoying this one.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KingKC »

My wife and I agreed that this was clearly the best new show of the season...at least on network TV since we don't stream.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by eagle »

Haven't seen the finale yet (will watch tonight), but based on last week's episode it looks like they are setting it up such that a couple of the core characters (including my favorite - Talia Bishop) are going to be gone next season. I sure hope they don't get rid of Talia -- she is hands down the best character on the show. Love Nathan Fillion, but Afton Williamson absolutely makes the show. We love to watch her awesome delivery of her well-written character's sass.

Also, I was surprised to see them kill off the captain a few weeks back.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by KingKC »

eagle wrote:Haven't seen the finale yet (will watch tonight), but based on last week's episode it looks like they are setting it up such that a couple of the core characters (including my favorite - Talia Bishop) are going to be gone next season. I sure hope they don't get rid of Talia -- she is hands down the best character on the show. Love Nathan Fillion, but Afton Williamson absolutely makes the show. We love to watch her awesome delivery of her well-written character's sass.

Also, I was surprised to see them kill off the captain a few weeks back.
There is no question Talia is good but I see a lot of the characters having good chemistry together. I think that is what makes a good show. Just like Tom Selleck was good as TM, he needed Higgins, Rick and TC to round out the show.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by eagle »

KingKC wrote:There is no question Talia is good but I see a lot of the characters having good chemistry together. I think that is what makes a good show. Just like Tom Selleck was good as TM, he needed Higgins, Rick and TC to round out the show.
That was certainly true with Magnum, p.i., and I think you are onto something with The Rookie. I do like the rest of the characters, and enjoy how they round out the show. Looking forward to seeing the finale tonight.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by KingKC »

I just read where ABC is still trying to make a decision about renewing The Rookie for a second season. I thought it was a far superior show compared to the new Magnum...but that is just my opinion. I am going to look around for some numbers/statistics about its ratings so if anyone has any ratings please post them or tell me where I can readily find them.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by eagle »

KingKC wrote:I just read where ABC is still trying to make a decision about renewing The Rookie for a second season. I thought it was a far superior show compared to the new Magnum...but that is just my opinion. I am going to look around for some numbers/statistics about its ratings so if anyone has any ratings please post them or tell me where I can readily find them.
Are you kidding? "The Rookie" is, hands down, the best new show of the season! Wow, I'm truly surprised that they are deliberating that one!

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by KingKC »

ABC just announced (21 minutes ago) that The Rookie will be back for a second season.

I did look up and compare the Nielson ratings with the reboot of Magnum. The reboot on Mondays averaged about 5.5 to 6.0 million viewers with a 18-49 score of about .75-.80. The Rookie on Tuesdays averaged about 3.5-4.0 million viewers and a 18-49 score of about .70. That surprises me but that is the way it is. (I just estimated from a quick look...there was no mathematical calculation.)