Anybody ever watch Burn Notice?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

Anybody ever watch Burn Notice?

#1 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

That's what the new Magnum P.I. is. It's Burn Notice in Magnum's old clothing. Instead of Miami, it's Hawaii. Instead of ex-CIA, it's ex-Navy Seals. Instead of two buddies, a girlfriend and mom, it's 2 buddies, Higgins, and Tinaka. You get the idea.

Whatever it is, it isn't our old show.

https://youtu.be/pKXkls2djVA

Edit: And it's the same action-packed unrealism of incessant explosions, gunfire, boat scenes, lush estates, and flyover videography.

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Re: Anybody ever watch Burn Notice?

#2 Post by Reef monkey »

Yeah, I used to watch it. I’ve also been comparing the New Magnum to it, but I consider Burn Notice to be considerably better.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

MagnumsGMTMaster
Commander

#3 Post by MagnumsGMTMaster »

I liked Burn Notice as a kind of action/adventure fantasy. I would warm up to the new Magnum if it evolves over time to become something similar. A cartoon with heart, possibly. Burn Notice found itself over 7 seasons. Magnum so far has only the pilot out there for comparison. Hopefully it'll find itself as well. I do wish it success even if it isn't season 9 of the original. Time will tell.

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by Gatchaman »

I watched a little bit of Burn Notice. It wasn't bad, but one thing that is the same between the two shows: frustration. I was frustrated that Donovan was in the situation he was, and also frustrated Monday because the characters seemed forced.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

I really liked Burn Notice, and was turned onto the show from people on this site. I think it was here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3279&hilit=burn+notice

I'm surprised we don't have a full thread for it.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Cagliostro
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Cagliostro »

I can see it, the difference being that Burn Notice is much better.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I've started watching Burn Notice and so far I'm pretty meh on it, but I'm going to give it a few more episodes. It's not a good sign when I'm constantly wishing the lead character would shut up and get on with it. Does the sarcastic narration get toned down at any point? It's so over the top. I've coined a new term for what Michael is doing: "explainarration." I loved the narration on MPI, but TM was not explaining every little detail to the viewer; he was just occasionally sharing his philosophical thoughts with us. Plus, he had Tom Selleck's melodious voice. :wink: The more mediocre TV I watch, the better Magnum, P.I. becomes. By doing nothing, the show just gets better!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by eagle »

Reef monkey wrote:Yeah, I used to watch it. I’ve also been comparing the New Magnum to it, but I consider Burn Notice to be considerably better.
I'm with you. I watched Burn Notice from pilot to finale, and I too found it to be a much better show than the new Magnum.

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by Mr. Greene »

Loved it, I think the lead character in that would have made a good fit for an updated Magnum

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Been watching Burn Notice on HULU lately, and really starting to like it.

I lived in Miami back in the 70's and it's sorta neat seeing "familiar" territory.

The further it gets into the series, the better the story gets, at least in my opinion.

Jeffery Donovan does a great job of playing a "spy".....seems to be well trained in self defense, and can take care of himself in a pinch, though he's rather of "slight" build by comparison to other main character "hunks" like our Thomas....but you know what they say..."It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog!" LOL

At any rate, will continue to watch, must be quite a bit to like given that the series aired for 7 seasons....I'm just into the middle of the second season right now, but so far, it's better than 99% of "what else" is on tv....(you know...in between the commercials... :cry: )..... :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"