MIAMI VICE

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

Re: MIAMI VICE

#16 Post by Reef monkey »

Miami Vice was all the rage for 2-3 years right at the end of my elementary school/beginning of junior high years. It really was a cutlutral phenomenon. Every episode was practically a string of music videos (at the time when MTV still showed music videos), no guy at my school was wearing socks, and we were all pinching and rolling our pant legs. My neighborhood country club even had a Miami Vice themed party with costume contest.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KingKC »

I remember fashion imitated Don Johnson in the mid-Eighties to the point there were actually male wedding outfits patterned after him and his style. I remember light blue "tuxedo" coats with white pants.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Kevster »

Miami Vice is running 11PM+/- nightly on Encore now. I guess since they've halted MPI, they switched 80's shows. They're currently 7-8 episodes into Season 1.
Trust Me!!!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,
Don Johnson talks about his new movie "Knives Out". Answers a dad's question about Fifty Shades Of Grey. More relevent to this thread. He seriously hints at playing Crockett one more time. Bring it on Don !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJsXGs4Z05s
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Steve »

terryfromkerry wrote:Hi guys,
Don Johnson talks about his new movie "Knives Out". Answers a dad's question about Fifty Shades Of Grey. More relevent to this thread. He seriously hints at playing Crockett one more time. Bring it on Don !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJsXGs4Z05s
He has become one of my favorite actors over the years..As far as another Miami Vice, if Michael Mann is involved I am interested.....

brianw
Rear Admiral

#21 Post by brianw »

I was 11 when Vice premiered. This is my favorite TV show of all time, with MPI a close 2nd. Sorry. Crockett is the coolest TV cop, EVER, hands down. That being said, the first season was amazing, absolute TV gold. Each season after went a little further down hill and, by the end, the show really did suck. The finale was so cheesy, it was sad to see how far the show had fallen in just 5 seasons. As far as the 06 movie, no thanks. I like Michael Mann films, but this was just an insult to the TV show. And I sincerely hope they NEVER do a reboot. It could be worse than the MPI reboot, and thats really really bad.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by terryfromkerry »

Time to retrieve the pastels from the wardrobe,dust off your espadrills and roll your sleeves up! Miami Vice is coming back to our TV screens! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCrWsdAiKo
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

brianw
Rear Admiral

#23 Post by brianw »

terryfromkerry wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:38 am Time to retrieve the pastels from the wardrobe,dust off your espadrills and roll your sleeves up! Miami Vice is coming back to our TV screens! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCrWsdAiKo
This is just a fan made video. There is no reboot. Thankfully!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by terryfromkerry »

:cry:

MikeS
Admiral

#25 Post by MikeS »

The other day we had a free preview of MGMHD or SonyHD, anyway they played Leap of Faith... I thought the guide info was wrong, I didn't recognize anything on screen. I'm very unfamiliar with the overall storyline of MV for the most part so it was news to me (I doubt for most of you) the episode was designed to be a spin-off but failed.

I wish I had come in from the beginning to see the whole episode regardless of how it has been considered by some to be one of the worst episodes & ideas of the series... for that reason alone I would have liked to see it.

OT: Every so often I enjoy watching short lived shows regardles if good or bad, I found a few episodes of The Wizard (1986) - bad, abscure, to borrow a phrase from another thread which made it fun for the moment. I'm not sure if the spin-off of MV ever produced any episodes but I would like to see a few just to satisfy the once-in-a-while itch for bad TV :oops:
MikeS

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by MaiTaiMan »

MIAMI VICE is one of my absolute all-time favorite shows (as is “Magnum”)!! The colors, locations, music, fashion, cars, action, sizzle...it crackled excitement in every episode!! 8) However, towards the end of the show, the new writers started coming up with some either very poor, or very bizarre plots...or both! :? Therefore, The ratings dropped, and after 5 seasons it sadly was eventually canceled.

I have tons of memorabilia, diecast models of the Ferraris, displayable action figures, the original Universal DVD season sets, and the Mill Creek Complete Series Blu-ray set. However, I happen to have what I consider “MV-Gold”! About 10 to 12 years ago I happened to be in contact with another fan. He had taped all of the original uncut/unedited NBC airings, complete with the original commercial-bumpers (although the commercials themselves were cut out)! For those that do not remember or don’t know, back in the 70s and 80s shows would have a commercial-bumper part way through a commercial break. This was usually a still of the show logo, or a cast picture, or some other scene from the show, with a lot of times a voiceover saying something like: “Miami Vice will be right back!”, or “Miami Vice will return in a moment!” MV created and utilized multiple different styles and kinds of the commercial bumpers, and they are awesome!

By the 90s, the idea of a commercial-bumper had been phased out. Anyway, this other fan had their original uncut/unedited episodes transferred to DVDs...and I was able to get him to make me a set as well! The episodes are not digitally remastered—but for how old those VHS tapes were, the episodes were in superb shape! The color, picture quality, sound, etc...are amazing! Although I love the Mill Creek Blu-ray set, sadly all of the home video sets from all companies and countries used syndicated rerun versions for the episodes. This means the episodes are somewhat edited or cut from the original airing. My original NBC airing set is my favorite way to watch the show, and I will forever feel blessed to be able to have that! I will probably never be able to acquire a set like that from any other past TV show.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"