Monte Walsh...a good Tom Selleck western

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Monte Walsh...a good Tom Selleck western

#1 Post by Stelth »

I just finished watching Tom Selleck's version of Monte Walsh. It was really good. Any of you see it or care to comment about it?

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Monte Walsh...a good Tom Selleck western

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Loved it ! I have a DVD copy, unfortunately it did not get a cinema release over here. It would have looked great on the big screen. A brave move by TS given Lee Marvin's great performance in the role previously. His performance compares favourably in my opinion. Like John Wayne I always felt Tom Selleck looks so natural and comfortable in the western genre. I guess we are unlikely to see him in another western .......... he is getting on in years. John Wayne was 69 when he made The Shootist. TS is 71 now so its seems more unlikely. He looks great of course and can play younger but I would imagine the physical exertions of making a western on location would be much more demanding than working in the studio. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

I also thoroughly enjoyed it, and Selleck is "just great" in it!

Especially liked the ending.

Have you checked out the "Sacketts", "Shadow Riders" or "Crossfire Trail" movies?

I still take Quigley Down Under off the shelf and watch it occasionally.

TS makes as good or better cowboy than he does a PI...er....private investigator. :magnum:

I think his legacy as an actor is pretty well established by his, and the show Blue Bloods popularity.

Glad he finally got that "voice" thing worked out! :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Stelth »

308GUY wrote:
Have you checked out the "Sacketts", "Shadow Riders" or "Crossfire Trail" movies?
I've seen Quigley but not those other three. I'll have to be on the lookout for those. As for your opinion on his cowboy roles, I agree completely.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by terryfromkerry »

308GUY is on the ball as always Stealth. Last time I checked all 3 of these westerns were available free to view on youtube. Not sure if you guys have access in the USA . Crossfire Trail also features the terrific Wilford Brimley. Enjoy ! :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Stelth »

Thanks for the tip Terry.

MikeS
Admiral

#7 Post by MikeS »

This Friday, 08/03/2018, 6PM, Monte Walsh will be on INSP, The Inspiration channel, DirecTV channel 364...

just sayin' :)
MikeS

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Kevster »

MikeS wrote:This Friday, 08/03/2018, 6PM, Monte Walsh will be on INSP, The Inspiration channel, DirecTV channel 364...

9PM Eastern, CH 244 on Xfinity... ;-)
Trust Me!!!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Kevster wrote:
MikeS wrote:This Friday, 08/03/2018, 6PM, Monte Walsh will be on INSP, The Inspiration channel, DirecTV channel 364...
9PM Eastern, CH 244 on Xfinity... ;-)
Hi Kevster,
Thank you for the heads up. The Inspiration Channel runs quite a few vintage Westerns and I am pleasantly surprised that a channel aimed at the Christian market
apparently doesn't do any undue editing of content. For example, The High Chaparral, from the folks who did Bonanza, was quite ribald at times, and also did commentary on the Civil Rights struggles in the 1960's(by highlighting the unjust treatment of the Indians) and even the Vietnam War.
Early in the first season Uncle Buck takes Blue into town to a brothel to experience his first woman and get drunk.
You never saw Ben Cartwright doing that for Hoss or Little Joe. No wonder Hop Sing seemed nervous at times.
Mano often visited the town whore Pearlita, trading his sister's fancy clothing for sexual favors. One of the series funniest scenes is when an aghast Victoria rides into Tucson and spies Pearlita wearing her brand new Paris Original hat. The ranch crew is often shown going to the bars and raising hell, there is no doubt the saloon girls are there for more than just pushing drinks.
Watching this grossly underrated series as an adult, I come to the conclusion it just might be the best written, acted and produced Western ever, the producer Dortort having poured so much money into it NBC insisted he would have to ax either High Chaparral or Bonanza as they couldn't afford to keep both.
It also sported one of the great theme songs ever. But I digress.
Going by High Chaparral, I have high hopes the Selleck flick Monte Walsh will run intact and I look forward to viewing it.