The X-Files Return

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

BWheelz54
Admiral

The X-Files Return

#1 Post by BWheelz54 »

Wondering if anyone else is as excited about the news of a new season of X-Files as I am. The X-Files rests at the number two spot of my all time favorite tv shows, and if I can't get new movement in the world of Magnum, I will count my blessings that it appears the players are indeed coming together for one more season of the X-Files. Can't wait to find out how Fox Molder and Dana Scully are doing. Magnum PI was the show of the 80's for me when I was a kid, and the X-Files was the show of the 90's for me during my young adult days. The truth is still out there!

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: The X-Files Return

#2 Post by marlboro »

Awesome news. Really looking forward to this.

MikeS
Admiral

#3 Post by MikeS »

I was a big fan in the 90s and would have looked forward to this maybe 10 years ago, for some reason I don't care much for the show now in reruns - not sure why?
MikeS

MikeS
Admiral

#4 Post by MikeS »

I've wondered if any MM fans have tuned in...?

I watched the premier or pilot, and the next 2 or 3 episodes. Personally, I quit watching. They appear tired on screen, dare I say old, and not very engaging anymore, some-what disinterested IMO. The Mulder'isms' fall flat. I guess I'd forgotten about the boy, now 15, they really dropped that one out of thin air.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the original early on, not so much the later episodes, and I enjoyed the '98 movie. I liked Duchovny in 'Kalifornia', 'Return To Me', never watched 'Californication' and some of his other stuff like 'Red Shoe Diaries'. I've not followed Gillian Anderson's career before or after X-Files.

X-Files worked in the early to mid '90s, not so much in 2016 (for me). Truth is I couldn't pick a winner if my life depended on it, so I expect like other shows I've not cared for that go on to have success, so to will the resuscitated X-Files.
MikeS

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#5 Post by marlboro »

Yeah, I didn't enjoy it either. The alien conspiracy plot line went off the rails about half way through the original series, and they somehow managed to make it even more contradictory and convoluted in the two "Mytharc" episodes in the relaunch.

My Struggle - tons of exposition. Not very interesting at all.

Founder's Mutation - a mediocre semi "Monster of the Week" episode

Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster - the most memorable episode. Some funny bits, but I've never been a fan of the all out parody X Files episodes. Wouldn't have minded it as part of a 22 episode season, but with only six episodes to work with it seemed to be a risky move when you are trying to bring in new viewers.

Home Again - An ok episode. A bit of a rehashed Monster of the week (basically just another golem story) with a pretty good DS secondary plot. I'm not sure the two stories fit together very well though.

Babylon - Just plain embarrassing.

My Struggle II - What the heck is going on? 9 seasons of continuity chucked out the window, rushed plot, talky script, and a cliffhanger ending for a show that may not be renewed.

So we got three middling episodes and three bad ones. Pretty disappointing that that is the best that they could come up with after over a decade.

MikeS
Admiral

#6 Post by MikeS »

...for what it's worth, prior to my Feb. 23rd post I had been reading some interviews with Duchovny about S10 of The X-Files - it wasn't intended to be an attempt at bringing back the show, it was labeled an X-Files S10 10 Episode Event. According to Duchovny, depending on the ratings they may film additional episodes...

So I looked on the interwebs, and as much as can be trusted, the first few episodes did well, but the viewership has declined with each episode (after 6). I have no idea what is considered good or bad but the 10 episode S10 of The X-Files started off with over 16 million viewers but is now at about 7 million viewers... good or bad numbers, I'm not sure! We'll see if the powers-that-be find it worthwhile to keep filming.
MikeS