Better Call Saul

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

Better Call Saul

#1 Post by KENJI »

Did anyone watch the premiere of Better Call Saul last night?
It will be interesting to see if Walter and/or Jesse will show up in season 2 or 3.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

Re: Better Call Saul

#2 Post by 308GUY »

I caught it.

Noted that Mike was at the parking lot ticket booth, and Tuko (sp?) showed up, but don't know yet if it's as Tuko or a different character.

Another episode tonight.

Kinda looks like they are setting the stage for Saul to become Saul, since he starts out as Jimmi. You can see the wheels turning in his head telling him he needs to get a good BS presentation together in order to succeed in the "commercial" world, or at least that's my take on it, I'm sure there are as many different ways of interpreting it as there are people watching.

Gillgan is good, we already know that from BB, this one promises to be at least of the same caliber.

Still pondering the opening, where Saul (Jimmi) is working in the Cinnibun shop. Missed the very opening shot, so maybe that was his background before law school, or just his imagination working overtime?

If nothing else, it will be "interesting", at least for a while! :D
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by KENJI »

Yes, it good to see a few familiar faces in the first episode.

Regarding the opening scene at Cinnabon.....I'm thinking he is in witness protection or just plain hiding out. He was super nervous with that one big customer. He also had a stache and thinning of the hair (disguise). Another sign was he had old pictures, passport and the vhs tape hidden away (old identity). When he watched the tape it refers to his Better Call Saul ads so I'm wondering if the opening scene is what happens to Saul after Breaking Bad. There was a lot of fall out after Walter's war and Saul was in the thick of it, maybe he is in hiding or he struck a deal with the feds.....who knows.....looking forward to watching what Vince has in store for Saul.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:Yes, it good to see a few familiar faces in the first episode.

Regarding the opening scene at Cinnabon.....I'm thinking he is in witness protection or just plain hiding out. He was super nervous with that one big customer. He also had a stache and thinning of the hair (disguise). Another sign was he had old pictures, passport and the vhs tape hidden away (old identity). When he watched the tape it refers to his Better Call Saul ads so I'm wondering if the opening scene is what happens to Saul after Breaking Bad. There was a lot of fall out after Walter's war and Saul was in the thick of it, maybe he is in hiding or he struck a deal with the feds.....who knows.....looking forward to watching what Vince has in store for Saul.
Yea, that makes perfect sense. Didn't know if the very first opening scene flashed a date or something that would indicate the time frame relative to the rest of the program.

Either way, I think you pegged it.

Will be watching again tonight for second episode, in what they say is going to be the "regular" time slot....10:00pm Monday's.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

KENJI wrote:Yes, it good to see a few familiar faces in the first episode.

I didn't get it but this seems very plausable. Thanks Kenji!

I'm digging the show so far, but I think it will need some solid new characters to be anywhere near as good as BB. I like the Saul character. Mike is there, he's great. There was really something special about both the Jesse and Walter that pulled you into that crazy world...thinking yeah, that's crazy, but I can sort of see how that could happen to someone. Not there yet with Saul.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by 308GUY »

Kind of a slow paced episode last night, at least that's my take.

I guess they are laying "ground work" for things to come.

Seemed kind of predictable as to where the family went, I even said to my wife, they most likely kidnapped themselves, when it was first discovered they were "missing".

Did find it note-worthy that this is the first reference to Mike being a retired cop.

I know it's early and Gilligan has taken more time than needed on occasion to unfold a back story, at least it seemed that way in BB.

I'll keep watching for now. :)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KENJI »

I agree with your points 308.....including the pace being slow, but I remember watching the first few episodes of BB and it was a bit slow too and just ok. I'm sure the story line will pack some punch soon...it better!

midnightx
Commander

#8 Post by midnightx »

So far, so good. The pace and feel of the show is very reminiscent of Breaking Bad. Very much looking forward to seeing the development of what will likely be some very entertaining, enticing story lines.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#9 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Not bad so far. I think this will pick up quickly.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by KENJI »

Another slow episode this week!
At least we found out when and where the name Saul Goodman originated from.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by 308GUY »

KENJI wrote:Another slow episode this week!
At least we found out when and where the name Saul Goodman originated from.

"...sall good.....man..."LOL'D at that one! Cracked me up when that came out of his mouth! :lol:

The watch scam was classic too.

Still "setting the stage" methinks. As always, time'll tell! :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by T.Q. »

Magnum reference yesterday.

youtu.be/rM9dNJNI3vc
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.