Longmire

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Longmire

#1 Post by N1095A »

Anyone seen this one? It's on A&E Monday nights at 10:00. Probably the best new show on TV in my opinion.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Longmire

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

N1095A wrote:Anyone seen this one? It's on A&E Monday nights at 10:00. Probably the best new show on TV in my opinion.
It looks really interesting! I need to check it out since my current spate of shows is pretty much over.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by MagnumILWU »

Love the show! And I have been drinking "Rainer" for years!
"pickled egg please"

Chancellor Higgins
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#4 Post by Chancellor Higgins »

It's definitely worth it, one of the few shows I go out of my way to watch every week.
Hi Guy

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#5 Post by magnumette »

Yes. I just love Longmire. I have read many of the books by Craig Johnson and they are different but still very enjoyable - but Robert Taylor just does it for me :) . He is s masculine but his humor is just below the surface like Magnum at times. And Henry Standing Bear is too cool for school.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

The actor Robert Taylor who portrays Longmire is actually Australian. It really bugged me that I had seen him in some other tv show but I couldnt remember. So I looked it up and he portrayed the Aussie priest in the last year of Ballykissangel.
He does a great job portraying an American archtype, only once or twice have I noticed his true accent coming through.
I also think Mister Selleck would be a natural to guest star on Longmire as Walt's brother.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Fri May 11, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys and gals,

In reponse to the last two posts. It's interesting you both mention TS while thinking about Longmire.

I love Longmire. Robert Taylor is a terrific actor and has made this role his own.

Despite this, right from the pilot it occured to me this would have been a great role for TS to play the lead.

I do like TS in Blue Bloods but would love to see him as the lead in a series like Longmire. TS always looks so natural in a western setting. Perhaps Jesse Stone might run for Sherrif in the next election on Longmire.

:)
:magnum:

PS. Welcome Magnumette I have enjoyed your posts.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Terry from Kerry,
You wrote
"I do like TS in Blue Bloods but would love to see him as the lead in a series like Longmire. TS always looks so natural in a western setting. Perhaps Jesse Stone might run for Sherrif in the next election on Longmire".

Terry, that's brilliant, Jesse Stone on Longmire.
Can I ask you, is Magnum PI popular in Ireland? Are there any aspects that don't translate well, because of cultural differences? What did you think of John Hillerman's accent when he portrayed Higgin's Irish half brother?
May the road rise to meet you
Mike

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by terryfromkerry »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:Terry from Kerry,
You wrote
"I do like TS in Blue Bloods but would love to see him as the lead in a series like Longmire. TS always looks so natural in a western setting. Perhaps Jesse Stone might run for Sherrif in the next election on Longmire".

Terry, that's brilliant, Jesse Stone on Longmire.
Can I ask you, is Magnum PI popular in Ireland? Are there any aspects that don't translate well, because of cultural differences? What did you think of John Hillerman's accent when he portrayed Higgin's Irish half brother?
May the road rise to meet you
Mike
Hi Mike,

MPI unfortunately has not been shown here for many years. It was very popular during its original airing. I have my DVD collection to fall back on thankfully.

Fr Paddy's Irish accent is way over the top but I would forgive John Hillerman anything.

Slainte.

:) :higgins:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by MagnumILWU »

Do you know why Ireland is such a rich country? Because the capital is always Dublin!
"pickled egg please"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by terryfromkerry »

MagnumILWU wrote:Do you know why Ireland is such a rich country? Because the capital is always Dublin!
Hi MagnumILWU.

lol :magnum: :higgins: :higgins:

magnumette
Lieutenant Commander

#12 Post by magnumette »

Thank you for the welcome Terry from Kerry:) - I am so happy to have found this forum! What a brilliant idea to have our TS have a role in Longmire! I remember TS being in Westerns and in an interview stating how he really related to them and missed them in current society. So he is a fan! We should let him know your idea :)

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by terryfromkerry »

TS is age 69 now. John Wayne was that age when he made "The Shootist". Hopefully TS will make one or two more. I love the western genre. Growing up my heros were Randolph Scott ,Joel McCrea, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, etc. On the small screen James Drury "The Virginian" was a terrific role model for any kid. The westerns TS made were excellant. Quigley Down Under would be in my top ten, the final gunfight showdown being second to none. Quigley is up there with The Magnificent Seven, The Oxbow Incident, Rio Bravo, A Fistful Of Dollars, Unforgiven etc. :) :magnum:

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by MagnumILWU »

If we're talking about westerns, then I would have to say that "Lonesome Dove" is the best western ever made! Great characters, great stories, the acting! I think everything about that mini-series was perfect! I'm sure my great grandfather, John Martin Kelly from Mayo, would have loved it!
"pickled egg please"

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Little Garwood »

terryfromkerry wrote:On the small screen James Drury "The Virginian" was a terrific role model for any kid.
The Virginian is a show I've always enjoyed. After Gunsmoke and Bonanza, it is the third longest-running prime time western show. I used to post on a Virginian message board and noticed that the program has quite a following in Ireland. I've often wondered what it was about "The V" that the Irish saw that made them such fans, besides being a superb TV program, that is. It's fascinating how certain shows "take hold" in countries outside the US. I believe Bonanza is popular in Germany.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck