Jake and the Fatman!

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

Jake and the Fatman!

#1 Post by No need to know! »

Do you remember this one?
I think it was a cozy show. Like a more fun version of Perry Mason or something.
And this was the show that actually moved to Hawaii from L.A was it? To be the next big thing there after Magnum. It didn´t manage that. Wasn´t quite good enough.
Onion´s extra?

fatlover
Ensign

Re: Jake and the Fatman!

#2 Post by fatlover »

Yea! This show is great! It has the best combination of pure entertainment and action. It is one of the underrated shows of the late 80s up to early 90s. But if everyone gave this show a chance, they’ll notice how good it was. I’m so disappointed that it got cancelled so soon! Jake and the Fatman deserved to be aired longer.

William Conrad is a real gifted actor and his role as Fatman leveled him up and made this show successful with the help of Joe Penny who portrayed Jake Styles. I also love the beautiful settings where this show was shot. From the great atmosphere of LA travelling to the beautiful scenery of Honolulu, Hawaii.

I’m one of the dedicated fans who shows support to this show until now and yea I do still watch it from the DVD Collection I bought from yourdvdcorner. com. It’s a great feeling to own all the episodes from the entire 5 seasons. Watching this show once more really reminds me that this is the kind of show I wouldn’t trade with any kind of show in terms of great entertainment.

Jake and the Fatman is considered as one of the best Crime TV series in the history! To those who haven’t seen this yet, you should because it’s really worth the time!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

Yep, used to watch it too.

I'll have to look it up to be sure, but last year I got a disc of Barnaby Jones episodes, and it seems to me there was either a bonus episode of J&FM or Conrad guest starred on one of the BJones episodes, or there was a cross-over episode, or something. At any rate, I also thought it was one of the better detective/lawyer type series of the era.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi guys,

I was interested by your posts on Jake & The Fatman. I did not watch the show when originally shown. However "CBS Drama" on SKY TV DIGITAL are presently showing the 3rd season here. I have series recorded it and have almost completed viewing the 3rd season. Its a nice late '80's / early '90's nostalgia trip and the bonus of the Hawaiian setting sits well with me. Joe Penny is very likable in his role as Jake Styles. I note the residence used for his character must be quite close to the MPI Anderson Estate. I mention this as Rabbit Island can be seen in the background, just offshore.
I have always liked William Conrad. As a kid, I loved him in Cannon ( a Quinn Martin Production from the '70's). I am also a big fan of the western genre and The Ride Back ('56) with Conrad co -starring with Anthony Quinn was a classic B feature with excellant performances by both these talented actors. William Conrad was the original Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke , the radio show. His voice was always so impressive. He was also the narrator in the original TV series "The Fugitive" starring David Janssen.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Seaver41 »

never got into it.......couldn't buy the angle of a 500lb guy in a weekly procedural solving crime. I did watch Cannon back in the day.....

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Seaver41 wrote:never got into it.......couldn't buy the angle of a 500lb guy in a weekly procedural solving crime. I did watch Cannon back in the day.....
Hi Seaver41,

I hear what you're saying. I think perhaps this is why I did not get into Jake & Fatman back in the day.

It's just that recently this came my way on Sky tv here and I watched one episode and continued. It was not really a case of being hooked. More that I have reached saturation point on graphic tv violence with regard to whats on offer now. Dexter, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, etc. among others. Don't get me wrong these are terrific shows with high cinematic production values and innovative scripts.

I just feel I am at a point where I wish I wake up tomorrow and its '80's tv again. MPI, Miami Vice, Golden Girls, Simon & Simon, etc. You know where you dont have to close your eyes every few minutes viewing tv. The whole tv dynamic has changed but not particularly for the best in my view.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yup, love me some Jake and the Fatman! I saw maybe half the episodes (or so) when the show originally aired, although I don't think I saw any of the first season. Had no idea the show was set in L.A. during the first season! Wow. I love how the show slipped right into the recently vacated shoes of Magnum (using the same facilities and props). Magnum, of course, did the same when Hawaii Five-O ended.

I would LOVE to see the show (and early 90's Oahu) now. Can't recall ever seeing it in syndication. Sad to see that the show has only had the first two seasons released on DVD! Conch, see if you talk to the "suits" at Cozi TV to have them add it to their lineup. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Joe penny fan
Ensign

#8 Post by Joe penny fan »

Hi my name is Jon michael fink . I’m a huge joe penny fan . In the early 90s in Augusta ga . I went to lake side high school . I met a girl in drama class who said she was joe penny’s cousin ! But for the life of me I can’t recall her name ! I’d love to know it after all these years . Can anyone help thanks . Joe is a brilliant actor I hope he and his family are safe . I always enjoy watching him . Thanks and god bless !