The Dukes of Hazzard

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

The Dukes of Hazzard

#1 Post by MaximRecoil »

I'm surprised there is no DoH-related thread in this section of the forum yet (unless I overlooked it). This was one of the most iconic shows of the '80s.

We didn't get a TV until 1984 when I was 9 years old. My mother was Pentecostal (UPC), and they were against owning TVs, and even against watching TV at all. Fortunately my mother wasn't terribly strict about the latter part, so when we visited other people, us kids were allowed to watch TV, as long as my mother didn't find anything particularly offensive about whatever show that was on.

The first TV show that ever really made an impression on me was The Dukes of Hazzard, which I first watched at my Uncle Herb's house when I was 4 years old (1979). With regard to my mother's approval, this was a borderline show, because she wasn't impressed with Daisy Duke's "skimpy outfits", but she let it slide anyway.

On Friday nights we'd usually either go to Bangor or we'd visit Uncle Herb and Aunt Gracy, so I got to watch DoH on a fairly regular basis, and soon became infatuated with the car (the General Lee).

In 1982 (2nd grade for me) there was a rumor going around school that there was a General Lee down at the local junk yard, which was going to be crushed soon. I hounded my father for two weeks to take me down there to see it, and finally he agreed. Floyd (the junkyard owner), my father, and I all walked down back into the junkyard, and there it was, the second car up in a pile of cars stacked one atop the other about 6 cars high. I just stared at it in awe: the bright orange paint, the glorious body lines of the 2nd generation Dodge Charger, the big "01" on the door. I didn't say anything, other than to ask why it had to be crushed. Floyd was very matter-of-fact about it. I don't remember what he said exactly, but I couldn't understand how he could place such little value on something so amazing to me. To him it was just another junk car.

I never got over my love of 2nd generation Dodge Chargers, 1969s in particular. I still consider them to have the best looking body style of any car ever made (with the Ferrari 308 being a close second). So in 1994 I bought one, two actually. One of them was an R/T and the other was a parts car for it. They were both cheap, and they were both basket cases. The parts car had the remnants of an old General Lee "uniform", and had been jumped through the air at one time. The damage from the jump is still visible on the front subframe rails and in the engine compartment, even though someone did some frame straightening and rewelding of some factory welds that had broken during the nose-forward landing. The story, told to me by the owner as an unverifiable anecdote after I'd already bought the car, was that the guy he bought it from told him that he bought it from someone who worked on one of the mechanic crews for The Dukes of Hazzard.

As it turned out, my dreams were much bigger than my wallet, and eventually I sold the R/T without ever getting anything done to it. However, the "parts car" sat in the Maine woods behind the garage where I'd stored the R/T, and it sat there for 17 years, until the spring of 2011 when I decided to bring it home and see what I could do with it. This is what it looked like just before I dragged it out of the woods:

After replacing minor tuneup parts (points, plugs, distributor cap, etc.) it fired right up and ran good (tough old 318 in it). However, the body, brakes, and suspension needed a lot of work. I worked on it all summer, with a lot of help from my mechanic friend that owns a garage in town, replacing the entire brake system, completely rebuilding the frontend, and cutting out rust and replacing with new steel:

The car is far from pretty, but it is solid now, runs good, and is completely roadworthy. Making it pretty will cost a ton, and I'll need to spread it out over several years. I'm not a fan of those wheels; they were on it when I got the car in '94. I have a set of aluminum turbine-style wheels that I got for free last fall that I'm going to put on the car in a few days (when the lugnuts I need for them arrive in the mail). They are similar to the American Racing and Shelby "Vector" wheels used on the show, but they have 14 fins/spokes instead of 10. They'll do for now, but eventually I want the "correct" wheels. I doubt I'll put General Lee graphics on the car (right now it still has the faded remnants of the flag on the roof), but when I get to the point of painting it, I'll probably keep it orange.

Jake
Rear Admiral

#2 Post by Jake »

Nice project, keep us updated. DOH was one of my childhood pleasures as well and when I run across it on the tube these days I will still watch an episode occasionally. The show doesn't hold up real well, but it is still enjoyable (as long as it is not a Coy & Vance episode!). I remember when I was a kid there was a year my parents had a nice tax return and we upgraded from a small black & white TV to a color TV (one of those big woodgrain console TV's) and the first time I got to see the general lee in all its orange glory I was so happy. The color TV was also a great upgrade for the Atari 2600, oh to be a kid again..........

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by 308GUY »

You did a remarkable job with that car! I used to watch the show with my boys once in a while. They were quite taken with the whole thing. Them and the "A Team"

Took them to a Waylon concert at Capital City Music Hall (Wheeling WV) cause he was the one who sang"Straightenen the curves, flatenen the hills", they didn't pay much attention beyond that song, but it was a fun night anyway.

Then when I was doing stage sound, we were doing a fair somewhere where Tom Wopat was performing his C&W act, so got signed pics from him, don't recall if we had anything from Schnieder, but just the other day, I ran across a 1/24th scale General Lee that one of my boys built. Got some dust on it, but it looks ok other than I don't think the front grille was there.

Daisy was hot....yes?
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#4 Post by ConchRepublican »

308GUY wrote:Took them to a Waylon concert at Capital City Music Hall (Wheeling WV) cause he was the one who sang"Straightenen the curves, flatenen the hills", they didn't pay much attention beyond that song, but it was a fun night anyway.
I think you're kinda glossing over taking your boys to see one of the best country singers of all time! I never had the opportunity to see him, must have been a great show. What year?
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by 308GUY »

I'm thinking it must have been around 88', or somewhere close to that.

Yes, he was great on stage! I thoroughly enjoyed it, he did allot of his early stuff too, would have been even better if Willie had been with him, but it was just him and a basic rhythm section, but that is a fairly small venue, and we were only about 8 rows back from the small stage...needless to say, it was almost like being in a small club atmoshphere. He was without a doubt one of the original "good ole' boys"!

Didn't mean it to sound like I was dismissing it as not noteworthy, it was, it's just the little ones, (I think they were 8 and 10 at the time), couldn't relate to everything he represented at the time.

It was a good show, a memorable event, and a great evening/outing for us as a family.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by MaximRecoil »

Jake wrote:Nice project, keep us updated. DOH was one of my childhood pleasures as well and when I run across it on the tube these days I will still watch an episode occasionally. The show doesn't hold up real well, but it is still enjoyable (as long as it is not a Coy & Vance episode!). I remember when I was a kid there was a year my parents had a nice tax return and we upgraded from a small black & white TV to a color TV (one of those big woodgrain console TV's) and the first time I got to see the general lee in all its orange glory I was so happy. The color TV was also a great upgrade for the Atari 2600, oh to be a kid again..........
Yeah, I hated the Coy and Vance episodes (AKA: "the fake Duke boys"). I remember when Schneider and Wopat returned in the episode "Welcome Back, Bo 'n' Luke", I was excited all week waiting for it. It was 1983 so we still didn't have a TV, and I kept asking Mom if we could go up to Uncle Herb's on Friday to watch it. She wouldn't give me a definite answer, and while discussing it with my friend Kevin, he invited me to his house on Friday night to watch it, so that solved that problem.

I didn't get an Atari 2600 until 1985 (that was in the aftermath of the "video game crash" and they were cheap as dirt, $35 brand new and $0.99 a game), and by that time we had a TV, 25" color console (Dad got fed up with not having a TV and went out and bought one in 1984 despite Mom's objections).

The show still holds up for me (Knight Rider and the A-Team don't though), because I still love the car, and James Best and Sorrell Booke still make me laugh.
308GUY wrote:Took them to a Waylon concert at Capital City Music Hall (Wheeling WV) cause he was the one who sang"Straightenen the curves, flatenen the hills", they didn't pay much attention beyond that song, but it was a fun night anyway.
That's awesome. Waylon Jennings is one of my favorite singers. I wish I could have seen him live.
Daisy was hot....yes?
Absolutely; one of the hottest ever in my opinion. Oddly enough I didn't think she was anything special when I was a kid, and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I was attracted to girls in my class: Mandy, Margo, Jennifer, Melanie, and didn't see the appeal of Catherine Bach until several years later.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Nice job on the car MR!

I used to watch DoH all the time when I was a teen. Good fun. Loved Jesse, Cooter and Roscoe the best! And Daisy, of course! And that theme song! Man, as soon as you heard that you were ready to wind down and watch some good 'ol Dukes of Hazzard! :)

One thing that really bugged me about the show though, for some reason, was the Southern California hills where they filmed all the exterior scenes. It always used to bother me that it looked nothing like the south! I know they couldn't really help that, but it just bothered me for some reason. Always did. That and Boss Hogg. Watching him eat all that fried chicken and frog legs with that little dirty napkin tucked under his chins...man, that would sometimes make me ill!

I got Denver Pyle's autograph one time at a World of Wheels event. Heh.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MaximRecoil »

The first five episodes were filmed in Georgia (Covington and Conyers) before the bean counters moved them to a Warner Bros. backlot in Hollywood. So not only does Southern California not look like Georgia, but all those dirt roads weren't even real public roads, just dirt roads made ages ago for filming Westerns. No power lines and usually no houses along the dirt paths, unless they were needed as a plot device.

The Hazzard town square where the bank, jail, Cooter's garage, etc., were at was also fake and located on Warner Bros. property. In some scenes you can see the big studios just outside that "town". I guess that "town" is still used in some modern TV show, but I don't remember the name of it.

When I was a kid I didn't know the difference. I thought the whole series was filmed in Georgia, because that's what I'd been told by various adults. I couldn't tell the difference between a set and a real location back then anyway; it all looked real to me. I didn't even realize that the closeup driving scenes were filmed in a studio in front of a projector:

Though in the early Georgia episodes those type of scenes were filmed with the General Lee being towed on a low trailer, which is the same way it is usually done in Magnum, P.I. and most any other movie or TV show that's willing to take the effort to make the closeup driving scenes look real.

I actually prefer the atmosphere of the Hollywood episodes to the Georgia episodes. Maybe that is somewhat because of nostalgia, but with everything being fake (but looking almost real except for certain things being slightly "off"), it helps sell the idea that it is a mythical place where most anything can happen, like cars jumping 20 feet in the air and driving off with no damage.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Interesting. I didn't know that they filmed the first five episodes in Georgia!

I wonder if Lance LeGault ever made a guest appearance.... Yep, yep he sure did. Of course he did! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

The Birdman
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by The Birdman »

I grew up in SoCal and I never knew untill just now that it was filmed there, but the oak trees and terrain sure looked like around my childhood home. :D

MHTR
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dukes of Hazzard

#11 Post by MHTR »

I watched this as a kid, but I don't think I'd watch it now. The show "jump" with Vance and Coy. After that it was never the same. I think the novelty would have worn off about the same time even if Schneider and Wopat didn't leave (temporarily).
308GUY wrote:
Took them to a Waylon concert at Capital City Music Hall (Wheeling WV)
Are you originally from that area? I grew up in WV about a half an hour north of Wheeling. Back in '88 I probably wouldn't have been interested in seeing Waylon. If I could only go back in time . . . .

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by 308GUY »

MHTR wrote: Are you originally from that area? I grew up in WV about a half an hour north of Wheeling. Back in '88 I probably wouldn't have been interested in seeing Waylon. If I could only go back in time . . . .

No, I was born further south than that, but left there before I was a year old.

We now live in Marietta, and did when we went to see Waylon. It's about two hours, give or take a half hour, from Wheeling, in a south westernly direction. :magnum:

BWheelz54
Admiral

#13 Post by BWheelz54 »

Oh, how I remember spending weekends at my aunt and uncles and watching DOH with my brother and my cousin. Such wonderful times. Maxim, I so admire your talents with that car and all the effort you have put into that. I can do some things pretty well, but engines and cars is not one of them. So I really appreciate posts like yours showing how you can bring a car, especially one with such sentimental value (and rightfully so) back from the dead. Please do keep us posted. AWESOME!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#14 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Awesome job on the car. It looks really gnarley the way it is now. Could use a little paint, but don't go overboard and make it so nice you won't want to drive it! Such a bad ass car.

I loved the show when I was a kid. I remember one Christmas in particular when I got a bunch of DoH toys - bliss! Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well. I saw an episode a while back and didn't feel like returning for any more. One thing I saw differently, however, was Daisy! Those short shorts were totally lost on my pre-pubescent self! Quite an impression on my dirty old man self, however.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Styles Bitchley wrote:One thing I saw differently, however, was Daisy! Those short shorts were totally lost on my pre-pubescent self! Quite an impression on my dirty old man self, however.
Oh Styles, that is hilarious! Isn't it so odd to think that she's probably 20+ years older than you? I found myself feeling like a dirty old lady just now looking at that last pic erock308 posted of Tom in those uber micro shorts and then thought, wait a minute......he's 20 years older than me! :shock: