The Dukes of Hazzard

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: The Dukes of Hazzard

#16 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
Styles Bitchley wrote:One thing I saw differently, however, was Daisy! Those short shorts were totally lost on my pre-pubescent self! Quite an impression on my dirty old man self, however.
Oh Styles, that is hilarious! Isn't it so odd to think that she's probably 20+ years older than you? I found myself feeling like a dirty old lady just now looking at that last pic erock308 posted of Tom in those uber micro shorts and then thought, wait a minute......he's 20 years older than me! :shock:
You're right! I just checked and she's exactly 20 years older than me. Haha.

I felt a little violated by Erock's image myself!

"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MaximRecoil »

I got the correct wheels for it this past summer:

American Racing Vector, 15" x 7" all around, originals from the '80s, not the current reissues (which have minor but noticeable differences compared to originals). The ones used on early Warner Brothers General Lees were usually 14" x 7", and in the later seasons, they sometimes used 15" x 7"; and almost always the same size all the way around, rather than wider wheels in back like people who make replicas often do. I was dead set on the 15" x 7" size, because 14" tires are hard to find these days, and I was planning to do a front disc brake conversion to replace the scary stock drum brakes (which I did end up doing near the end of last summer; the brakes are awesome now), and you need at least 15" wheels for the disc brake conversion I did, in order to clear the calipers.

When I got the wheels they were completely unpainted. This type of wheel was originally available as unpainted, or with the rough-cast recessed areas painted in various colors (I've seen black, gold, and gray on originals), and the raised, machined areas being bare aluminum. The Warner Brothers General Lees usually used the black versions, but there were a few that used unpainted and gray painted versions. I painted mine black, because that's the most iconic look for the General Lee wheels. Here's a picture of one just after painting next to one I hadn't painted yet:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by 308GUY »

Nice job! Wheels look great, as does the car.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

One of those things that just "never" seems to be completely done, at least in my case.

Love seeing the updates. Do you have a build thread on a Mopar forum anywhere?
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MaximRecoil »

308GUY wrote:Do you have a build thread on a Mopar forum anywhere?
No, just posts on various forums here and there asking questions and whatnot. Most of what I've done to it doesn't show on the outside. For example, I converted it to electronic ignition (using a GM HEI module combined with a stock Mopar electronic ignition distributor) for a hotter and more reliable ignition system compared to the stock points-type ignition.

I had installed halogen headlights in it early on, but I'd never driven any significant distance at night until a couple years later, at which point I found out that the stock wiring didn't like the increased draw of halogen headlights at all. With the stock wiring, all of the current being drawn by the headlights goes through the poorly designed bulkhead connector and headlight switch. The headlight switch has a thermal breaker, and I noticed that night that the headlight switch was getting warm, almost hot. On the hour-drive home, a few miles from my house, the headlights started cutting out (tripping the thermal breaker in the headlight switch), which is definitely not cool. It turns out that this is a common problem, and a popular way of dealing with it is the "headlight relay upgrade". So I did that, which made it so the wiring through the bulkhead connector and headlight switch only serve as a circuit for triggering the relays (two relays, one for low beam and the other for high beam), which is a minuscule amount of current. Once a relay is triggered, the juice that the headlights draw comes directly off the battery (10 AWG wire), through a self-resetting thermal breaker switch, through the relay, and out to the headlights; completely bypassing all of that thin wiring going through the bulkhead connector and headlight switch. As a bonus, this shorter and more robust circuit has less resistance, thus less voltage drop at the headlights, thus brighter headlights. Nearly all modern vehicles use a similar relay system for the headlights.

I also got the vacuum operated headlight doors working last summer, which involved replacing some vacuum hoses and clearing some of them out as well. Here's a video - link.

I refaced the gauges, which were so faded that they were difficult to read in the shadowy dash area. Before:

After:

Refaced gauges lit up at night:

The temperature gauge was dead, so I had to fix it, which was a very tedious task of wrapping very thin nichrome wire forty-eleven times around a small bimetallic strip and soldering the ends in place. The original nichrome wire had burnt in two, which is the result of a faulty 12v to 5v electromechanical regulator getting stuck and letting 12v go to the gauge for too long. I replaced the regulator with a modern solid-state electronic version which has built-in protection from excessive voltage, so it won't happen again.

This car didn't come with intermittent windshield wipers (wasn't even an option), which drove me nuts in light rain. So I bought an intermittent circuit, mounted it in a black aluminum box (after drilling the holes for the knob and wires to go through), added an aluminum knob, wired it in after making a harness with Molex connectors, and mounted it under the dash, like so:

Here it is in operation - link.

As I mentioned, I converted the front drum brakes to disc brakes. To do that I used steering knuckle/spindle assemblies and caliper brackets from a '73 Dodge Challenger, and the rest of the parts (rotors, flex hoses, calipers, master cylinder, etc.) were all still available from the autoparts store.

My next project, which I'll start in the spring, is to replace all 4 ball joints in front (the ones in there aren't terrible, but there is a little play in them) and install offset bushings in the upper control arms. The offset bushings will allow for more positive caster, which will make it handle more like a modern car. Cars of the pre radial tire era had more or less neutral caster and offered very little caster adjustment, but radial tires need positive caster in order to track straight (so you don't have to constantly make slight steering adjustments just to keep going in a straight line). The more positive caster you have, the stronger the tendency for the steering to self-center; as an extreme example of positive caster, picture a "chopper" style motorcycle or bicycle. Of course, you don't want to overdo it, because then it becomes hard to steer. +2 or 3 degrees is about right.
Last edited by MaximRecoil on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by 308GUY »

Very cool stuff!
Thanks for taking the time to post up your upgrades, all of them will help make your car a very fun, enjoyable AND reliable car to drive.

Obviously, this is not your first rodeo, love the fact that you integrated the gm HEI into the Mopar system, I remember replacing a number of Dodge "mystery boxes" on several Mopar products several decades ago. :lol:

Headlights look fantastic! The relay trick is super.

Hope JJ doesn't mind the car posts, but you deserve a round of applause (or beers! :D ) for what you've done with this project so far. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing more progress. Maybe I should ship my 308 project up to you and have you call me when it's ready to paint! :wink:

Gauges look great, and I really like the way you did the intermittent wipers, looks like it belongs there for sure.

Again, thanks for posting, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the time, energy and effort it took to get it to where it is, or who would like to follow future progress on it. :!:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Styles Bitchley

#21 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Great work on the car MaximRecoil. Love the updates!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by KENJI »

Styles Bitchley

#23 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Yeah, saw that yesterday. Can't say I've thought about him much recently, but loved that goofy character as a kid!

- J.Q.H.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Ok, so how long before political correctness gets this show banned from broadcast and DVD sales?
:
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#25 Post by Doc Ibold »

Couldn't tell you, but figure that question could better be answered on a Dukes Of Hazzard forum.

Sorry Mrs. Higgins, I try to keep it as non political as possible here especially when it's related to a non-Magnum issue

Keeps people more civil lol:

MikeS
Admiral

#26 Post by MikeS »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Ok, so how long before political correctness gets this show banned from broadcast and DVD sales?
:
Well, less than 48 hours IIRC - pathetic regressive leftist facists that run the U.S. - popular culture, news, academia, legal system, healthcare, Washington, you, me.

Adios! America!
MikeS

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#27 Post by ConchRepublican »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Ok, so how long before political correctness gets this show banned from broadcast and DVD sales?
:
I think Magnum is safe ....
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by KingKC »

The Dukes of Hazzard and another Friday night show, The Incredible Hulk, with Bill Bixby, were popular shows on Friday night in the early 1980s as I was eating dinner and waiting to go bar-hopping as the bars never got hoppin' until after 9 PM Central. I know that neither show would win any critical acclaim but DOH was sure a lot of fun to watch and I liked Bill Bixby as an actor. These two shows bring back many of the same memories I formed from the Thursday night shows of MPI, Simon and Simon and Hill Street Blues. I think television was at its best in the 1980s when cable was yet to dominate TV. Ahhh...the good ole days. [SIGH]

KingKC