1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

New DALLAS

#1 Post by No need to know! »

I liked the original series.

Is it any good? Worth watching?
And if it works, can it be done with Magnum aswell? A comeback with 10 episodes or so?
Thanks.
Onion´s extra?

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by AmandaByNight »

Hmmm, it would be interesting with Magnum... I'm not sure though. Dallas has the old soap format which is now so popular in night time while it fades in daytime (that makes no sense to me). However, the new Hawaii 5-0 is popular and that has more of an action format, doesn't it?

I like the new Dallas. I don't have cable so I have downloaded the episodes via iTunes. I still have two episodes left. They have been pretty faithful to the original, which I think is the key to its success.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by No need to know! »

AmandaByNight wrote:Hmmm, it would be interesting with Magnum... I'm not sure though. Dallas has the old soap format which is now so popular in night time while it fades in daytime (that makes no sense to me). However, the new Hawaii 5-0 is popular and that has more of an action format, doesn't it?

I like the new Dallas. I don't have cable so I have downloaded the episodes via iTunes. I still have two episodes left. They have been pretty faithful to the original, which I think is the key to its success.
I will check it out when it comes here in Sweden in a couple of weeks then.
I just found this interview from -94 when Larry Hagman visited Sweden and said that he certainly didn´t want a new series. Probably was a bit tired after it finished :D
http://www.svtplay.se/klipp/102835/jr-1994
Don´t know if that link works for you folks.
I wish Magnum could be done with some tv movies like Kojak, Spenser and Rockford files. I think they could bring in Hillerman aswell since it would be just maybe 3-5 tv movies or so. It would make me happy anyway.
Onion´s extra?

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by No need to know! »

Saw the first episode tonight. Not bad at all! Main issue so far is that many of the younger cast seems to lack charisma.
Onion´s extra?

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by AmandaByNight »

No need to know! wrote:Saw the first episode tonight. Not bad at all! Main issue so far is that many of the younger cast seems to lack charisma.
I think you are right that some of the newer actors don't make a grand impression in the first episode... except for Josh Henderson who plays John Ross. He's fantastic. I also like Christopher and Marta (not sure Marta has started yet?), but it took a couple of episodes for me to warm up to Christopher (he's so much like Bobby and I was always Team JR!). I think the two female leads become more interesting as the show progresses, but they aren't standouts.

It has a good balance though and Larry Hagman still lights up a room. Glad you enjoyed the pilot!

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by No need to know! »

Have seen three episodes now (three ep in three days). And yes J.R still shines i have to say.
It´s pretty good. One week now til the next ep.
Do you know why Southfork have a completely different interior in the new show?
Yes of course it´s a studio but if they would do that with a new Magnum it would be a real bummer. Guesthouse looking completely different. :?

The "old" Dallas runs five times per week here (sixth season right now) on another channel, and it´s no surprise that the new one is pretty bleak when you compare them.
Onion´s extra?

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by AmandaByNight »

I just watched the 2nd to last episode of this season and I think it's my favorite episode so far!

I'm not sure why they changed Southfork, except to modernize it, so it didn't look like it did in the 80s. Some interior decorating has changed (although I do prefer 80s interior design). The one thing about Southfork in this version I did not like was that it felt so lonely with just Bobby and Anne in the house. I was used to everyone being crammed in there!

I also agree that this version is a little darker. If I can speculate a bit, I think part of that is due to the fact that John Ross doesn't really get the same kind of pleasure out of backstabbing that J.R. does. I think that while Jock was no saint, he didn't intend to raise a sociopath! :) And I think J.R.'s delight in conniving is pretty unique. John Ross seems more desperate for the affection and less interested in the money, or that's how I see it.

One thing I noticed was that sometimes John Ross seems really aggravated by his dad. They will be scheming and John Ross will roll his eyes or something. It's like we all are with our parents sometimes, and I love that's been put into the show. Anyway, I'm loving it. Lots of fun!

Buck
Captain

Re: New DALLAS

#8 Post by Buck »

No need to know! wrote:I liked the original series.

And if it works, can it be done with Magnum aswell? A comeback with 10 episodes or so?
Thanks.
I would love a relaunch of Magnum. I doubt TS would do it. He has Blue Bloods on TV, so why would he do a 10 episode new Magnum on cable? JH is too old to return. The only two who could return would be Rick and TC. Could they even get Robins Nest, or would the current owners not want filming on their land?

This is why I think a miniseries is the best format. TS is on CBS which is the network Magnum aired on. CBS may allow him to film a miniseries. TS would not feel like he is downgrading from a major network to a cable channel. This works best for TS fans because I doubt he will be invited to a big screen movie version of Magnum.

The tragedy is TS did not do reunion movies in the 1990's when Magnum was very popular and he could have done 5 or 6 reunion movies.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by No need to know! »

Buck wrote:

Thanks.
I would love a relaunch of Magnum. I doubt TS would do it. He has Blue Bloods on TV, so why would he do a 10 episode new Magnum on cable? JH is too old to return. The only two who could return would be Rick and TC. Could they even get Robins Nest, or would the current owners not want filming on their land?

This is why I think a miniseries is the best format. TS is on CBS which is the network Magnum aired on. CBS may allow him to film a miniseries. TS would not feel like he is downgrading from a major network to a cable channel. This works best for TS fans because I doubt he will be invited to a big screen movie version of Magnum.

The tragedy is TS did not do reunion movies in the 1990's when Magnum was very popular and he could have done 5 or 6 reunion movies.
Yeah. I remember that they did Spenser P.i, Hart to Hart, Kojak and Rockford t.v movies in 1990s.
Miniseries format is fine with me. But i don´t know anymore. J.Hillerman would be surely missed
Onion´s extra?

Buck
Captain

#10 Post by Buck »

No need to know! wrote:
Buck wrote:

Thanks.

Yeah. I remember that they did Spenser P.i, Hart to Hart, Kojak and Rockford t.v movies in 1990s.
Miniseries format is fine with me. But i don´t know anymore. J.Hillerman would be surely missed
If it is CBS making the show and not a cable channel, they may be able to talk JH into a limited apperance. CBS has deeper pockets and could send a filming crew to JH's Texas home. Perhaps enough of an apperance to solve the mystery of if he is Robin Masters!

Or perhaps JH is in better health than we know and he could fly to Hawaii.

If I was CBS and I wanted TS back as Magnum, I would float a script around that has Magnum killed before the mini series starts. The show focuses on Rick and TC tracking down the killers of Magnum. I think if TS saw that script, he would call CBS and ask if they went crazy, and he could be talked into doing a movie where Magnum is alive and well.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#11 Post by N1095A »

RIP Larry Hagman. Most will remember him as J.R. Ewing, but he'll always be Major Nelson to me.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I love Larry Hagman! He was hilarious as Major Nelson and JR. Jeannie and Dallas are two of my all time favorite shows. The new Dallas was just getting good at the end of the first season because JR, Cliff, and Sue Ellen were in it more. Where will they go with it now? Will it last?

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

he filmed 6 of the new season's episodes, so there is more JR to see. Will be interesting to see how they handle his departure.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by KENJI »

Who shot J.R. comes to mind......they could spin another go around with this premise, but this time he dies which opens it up for a power struggle with the youngsters etc. etc. He will be missed!