The Rockford Files

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Rockford Files

#346 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:34 pm
80s Big Hair wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:06 pm The Rockford Files in Lego.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4PrlXdBQo
Awesome!!! Thank you
I second that! Terrific! Is this a "thing", do other people use Legos to recreate scenes from movies/TV series? It would be great to see this done for Magnum PI.
Thank you.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#347 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:44 am
Pahonu wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:34 pm
80s Big Hair wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:06 pm The Rockford Files in Lego.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4PrlXdBQo
Awesome!!! Thank you
I second that! Terrific! Is this a "thing", do other people use Legos to recreate scenes from movies/TV series? It would be great to see this done for Magnum PI.
Thank you.
It seems to be a thing and I approve of it. I found one for Magnum, P.I. and will post it in a different thread.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#348 Post by Pahonu »

I believe it’s already been posted here somewhere, and it’s not Lego, but the Archer recreation of the MPI opening is fun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7PEZMCHmxA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTYBplXxSk

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#349 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Pahonu wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:36 pm I believe it’s already been posted here somewhere, and it’s not Lego, but the Archer recreation of the MPI opening is fun.

No, silly. I am able to differentiate between LEGOs and some cartoon called Archer.

https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... 953#p74953

Maybe it was posted before. I do not know. This has nothing to do with the Archer thing.

Pahonu

#350 Post by Pahonu »

80s Big Hair wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:11 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:36 pm I believe it’s already been posted here somewhere, and it’s not Lego, but the Archer recreation of the MPI opening is fun.

No, silly. I am able to differentiate between LEGOs and some cartoon called Archer.

https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... 953#p74953

Maybe it was posted before. I do not know. This has nothing to do with the Archer thing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#351 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:49 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:27 pm
T.Q. wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:55 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:32 pm That's the thing I love about Jim. He doesn't play the hero or pretend to be a hero. In fact he's perfectly content admitting that he's a coward and would rather run than fight. There's a great line from him in another episode: "I have a particular aversion to violence, especially when it's directed at me". It's all about self-preservation for him. :) Can you blame him?
He has some really great one liners/expressions.

I also didn't notice until yesterday the answering machine message is different each episode. DOH!
Hey T.Q. how is your viewing coming along? Where are you now? Done with season 1? Or stuck on the same episode like I am with MPI season 4. :lol:
Yep. Kinda got abandoned. :oops:
You would have been in big, big trouble if you abandoned Five-O. But here you get a pass. Although now Pahonu might be building a bamboo cage for you. :P

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#352 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Excellent interview with James Garner:

http://www.thestacksreader.com/never-pl ... es-garner/

I keep kicking myself that I lent his autobiography to a friend awhile ago and have yet to get it back. It has been my experience that though you
make the person you lend a book to sign an oath in blood that she will return it, you have about a 5% chance of ever seeing that book again.

In the book Garner identifies some of the stars he decked for repeatedly abusing the "little people" on the set. They are alluded to in the above interview
but offhand I don't recall the names anymore.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, the man I perceive Garner to be from numerous articles, interviews and his bio, seems to be most like
his character in Murphy's Romance(1985).
Especially when he is giving advice to Sally Fields son on Life and how to comport yourself like a man.

Sally Fields was at the height of her stardom and had to force the studio to sign James Garner as they thought he was past it as a leading man.
She has since repeatedly said that her onscreen kiss with him was the best one of her career. Sorry Burt Reynolds.
Garner might have been inspired because Fields was never more beguiling and downright sexy.
Garner scored a Best Actor nod for his performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on"...old Arabic saying

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#353 Post by Little Garwood »

The Rockford Files' Stuart Margolin has died, age 82.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/13/actor-stu ... ead-at-82/

For the few of us here who like The Rockford Files, Margolin's Angel Martin character was maddening, frustrating, but ultimately endearing.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#354 Post by Little Garwood »

Watched The Competitive Edge (S04 E19) the other day. For whatever bizarre reason, I have no memory whatsoever of having seen this one! This despite having owned the DVDs for years.

In it, Jim ends up locked up in an insane asylum straight out of One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, which had won the Best Picture Oscar a couple of years prior to this episode airing. It's a good episode with an outstanding cast, with James Garner's brother Jack in what has to be his finest role. :wink: Jack plays a cigar-chomping, sunglasses-wearing small-town policeman who no doubt would have been right at home guarding Cool Hand Luke!

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#355 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:40 pm Watched The Competitive Edge (S04 E19) the other day. For whatever bizarre reason, I have no memory whatsoever of having seen this one! This despite having owned the DVDs for years.

In it, Jim ends up locked up in an insane asylum straight out of One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest, which had won the Best Picture Oscar a couple of years prior to this episode airing. It's a good episode with an outstanding cast, with James Garner's brother Jack in what has to be his finest role. :wink: Jack plays a cigar-chomping, sunglasses-wearing small-town policeman who no doubt would have been right at home guarding Cool Hand Luke!
It seems like the insane asylum was a ubiquitous story line in the 70’s along with a story featuring one of the new religious movements. Rockford had both and so did Harry-O. I think The Streets of San Francisco had both. Do you remember any others?

Fleet Admiral

#356 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:09 pm
Little Garwood wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:40 pm Watched The Competitive Edge (S04 E19) the other day. For whatever bizarre reason, I have no memory whatsoever of having seen this one! This despite having owned the DVDs for years.

It seems like the insane asylum was a ubiquitous story line in the 70’s along with a story featuring one of the new religious movements. Rockford had both and so did Harry-O. I think The Streets of San Francisco had both. Do you remember any others?
SOSF had the episode "Asylum" (there you go!) but I'm trying to think of a new religious movement episode.

Pahonu

#357 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:25 pm

SOSF had the episode "Asylum" (there you go!) but I'm trying to think of a new religious movement episode.
They had more of the remnants of the hippie movement, I suppose. There is the group of women controlled by Rick Nelson and his flute (modern pied piper :shock:) in “Harem”. That’s not quite the same, but it is communal and cult-like as many of the new-age religious movements were. They also typically had a charismatic leader, and Nelson fits the bill for that!

Fleet Admiral

#358 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:36 am

They had more of the remnants of the hippie movement, I suppose. There is the group of women controlled by Rick Nelson and his flute (modern pied piper :shock:) in “Harem”. That’s not quite the same, but it is communal and cult-like as many of the new-age religious movements were. They also typically had a charismatic leader, and Nelson fits the bill for that!
I remember that episode but I don't recall Ricky Nelson being charismatic. I recall him being rather subdued and really not saying much except playing on his flute. A man of few words a la James Dean? Maybe he was so cool that he didn't have to say much. Charisma via silence? :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#359 Post by Little Garwood »

While not insane asylums, there are a number of TV shows in which the hero is locked up in a windowless white room, drugged, brainwashed, or otherwise driven to the edge of madness. Mannix had a great S8 episode A Word Called Courage! which guest starred the great Anthony Zerbe and was directed by the great Bill Bixby. It also co-starred Bixby's wife, the tragic Brenda Benet.

Mission: Impossible had Mindbend from S6. Barney Collier is imprisoned, brainwashed, and programmed to kill. The episode is a fine one, though there are a few unintentionally amusing moments. The first is in the opening, when a programmed killer starts shooting on a crowded L.A. street, yet none of the background extras breaks their stride or even looks to what is happening! :lol: L.A. is one disinterested town! There's also a bit in which Jim Phelps is undercover in a laundry truck. The truck has a sign on it, but said vehicle passes by the street sign of the actual name of the business. Still, it's a fine episode.

I don't think MPI had an insane asylum episode, but Simon & Simon took up Magnum's considerable slack. :wink: S3's The Skeleton Who Came Out of the Closet finds AJ Simon tortured by a sinister Dean Stockwell.

James Rockford was in good company with his fellow TV legends. 8)

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu

#360 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:59 am
Pahonu wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:36 am

I remember that episode but I don't recall Ricky Nelson being charismatic. I recall him being rather subdued and really not saying much except playing on his flute. A man of few words a la James Dean? Maybe he was so cool that he didn't have to say much. Charisma via silence? :lol:
I meant charisma as in charm that inspires devotion. He certainly did that with the women in the episode.

Did Hawaii Five-O have any episodes with new-age religious movements? I don’t know it nearly as well as you.