The Rockford Files

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Rockford Files

#361 Post by Chris109 »

I see that the Roku Channel is showing Rockford. Quality is excellent but I can't figure out what the actual resolution is. And Roku Channel is free.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#362 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Issac Hayes appeared as Gandolph Fitch 3 times on the Rockford Files:
1) The Hammer of C Block Jan.9, 1976
2) Just Another Polish Wedding Feb. 18, 1977
3) Second Chance Oct. 14, 1977

I just viewed the Issac Hayes blaxploitation flick "Truck Turner".
Co-starring Yahphet Koto as Harvard Blue who is irate at fellow pimp Gator for stealing his number one girl "Stalingrad Cruz."
Hayes is the bad ass PI skip tracer going after Gator for jumping bail.

Why bring this up on this thread? I'm glad you asked.

I think there can be no doubt the Gandolph Fitch character is a all but in name take on Truck Turner, Hayes playing them exactly alike.
Turner debuted in 1974, Fitch two years later.

The movie introduces us to Truck when he wakes up, hung over, going over to the dresser to get his last shirt, which his cat is sleeping on.
Truck discovers the cat has peed on it as well when he picks it up and chases the cat off.
Cue the next scene, Truck and his partner Jerry are driving in a convertible when Jerry sniffs and comments, appalled, that Truck reeks!
Truck is so bad, so defiant of the social conventions, that he wears a stained, smelly shirt soaked in cat urine.
Maybe you have to see it to appreciate it, but the scene is hilarious.

How many Hollywood tough guy characters have ever been introduced in such a tongue in cheek way, while also giving the finger to classic cinematic tropes.
Dirty Harry, Duke Wayne, Sam Spade, Lee Marvin, Mike Hammer, even Eddie Haskell would never dare to wear a shirt soiled by even the smallest
piddle from an incontinent robin who had misplaced it's adult diaper.
But Truck Turner is a different breed for a new time.

Star Trek's Nichelle Nichols appears scantily dressed as Dorinda, who after inheriting Gator's stable of women rages that two of the girls have run off.
Lt. Uhura she ain't:

"Those two bitches that left, they better learn to sell p---- in Iceland because if I ever see them again I'm gonna cut their f------ throats."

Just to see goodie two shoes Uhura running amuck, as well as the idea of a hooker named "Stalingrad", made this flick worthwhile to me.
The first half provided much action and humor before the picture - to me at least - became rather predictable.
Make some popcorn, grab a frothy black cow with the finest A & W root beer, kick back and this ain't a bad way to kill 90 minutes.
Invite Rockfish, Gandy and Angel over as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Famous last words -
"Take no prisoners!"...George Armstrong Custer

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#363 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:02 am Issac Hayes appeared as Gandolph Fitch 3 times on the Rockford Files:

Co-starring Yahphet Koto as Harvard Blue who is irate at fellow pimp Gator for stealing his number one girl "Stalingrad Cruz."

I think there can be no doubt the Gandolph Fitch character is a all but in name take on Truck Turner, Hayes playing them exactly alike.

The movie introduces us to Truck when he wakes up, hung over, going over to the dresser to get his last shirt, which his cat is sleeping on.
Truck discovers the cat has peed on it as well when he picks it up and chases the cat off.
Cue the next scene, Truck and his partner Jerry are driving in a convertible when Jerry sniffs and comments, appalled, that Truck reeks!
Truck is so bad, so defiant of the social conventions, that he wears a stained, smelly shirt soaked in cat urine.

How many Hollywood tough guy characters have ever been introduced in such a tongue in cheek way, while also giving the finger to classic cinematic tropes.
Dirty Harry, Duke Wayne, Sam Spade, Lee Marvin, Mike Hammer, even Eddie Haskell would never dare to wear a shirt soiled by even the smallest

Star Trek's Nichelle Nichols appears scantily dressed as Dorinda, who after inheriting Gator's stable of women rages that two of the girls have run off.
Lt. Uhura she ain't:

"Those two bitches that left, they better learn to sell p---- in Iceland because if I ever see them again I'm gonna cut their f------ throats."

Just to see goodie two shoes Uhura running amuck, as well as the idea of a hooker named "Stalingrad", made this flick worthwhile to me.
The first half provided much action and humor before the picture - to me at least - became rather predictable.
Make some popcorn, grab a frothy black cow with the finest A & W root beer, kick back and this ain't a bad way to kill 90 minutes.

Famous last words -
I saw Truck Turner quite a few years ago when one of the cable channels ran a blaxploitation flick every weekend. I DVR’d bunches of them and would estimate I saw a minimum of 40 films. Hayes played a bounty hunter, if I remember correctly. He was on the right side of the law. Gandolf was an ex-con like Rockford. It was an enjoyable flick for sure. I really liked Fred Williamson in several movies and I think he was in one with Hayes. I also liked Pam Grier and Antonio Fargas in several roles. Jim Brown did a few good ones too. A lot of them run together now, but I enjoyed a lot of them. Some were just stinkers though. I’m recalling both the second Cleopatra Jones and Blacula as duds! I’m trying to remember some others by name, Superfly, Black Eye, Trouble Man, Black Caesar, Coffey, Three the Hard Way, Hammer, Foxy Brown, Slaughter, The Mack. I’ve seen them all and many more.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#364 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:26 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:02 am Issac Hayes appeared as Gandolph Fitch 3 times on the Rockford Files:

Lt. Uhura she ain't:

Famous last words -
I saw Truck Turner quite a few years ago when one of the cable channels ran a blaxploitation flick every weekend. I DVR’d bunches of them and would estimate I saw a minimum of 40 films. Hayes played a bounty hunter, if I remember correctly. He was on the right side of the law. Gandolf was an ex-con like Rockford. It was an enjoyable flick for sure. I really liked Fred Williamson in several movies and I think he was in one with Hayes. I also liked Pam Grier and Antonio Fargas in several roles. Jim Brown did a few good ones too. A lot of them run together now, but I enjoyed a lot of them. Some were just stinkers though. I’m recalling both the second Cleopatra Jones and Blacula as duds! I’m trying to remember some others by name, Superfly, Black Eye, Trouble Man, Black Caesar, Coffey, Three the Hard Way, Hammer, Foxy Brown, Slaughter, The Mack. I’ve seen them all and many more.
Not Rockford, but when I saw you mention Antonio Fargas (Huggy Bear) all I can think of is one episode of Starsky and Hutch, the main story was of Huggy (iirc). Dudes were coming after him and someone else, when Huggy yells, "Get the heater!" One bad guy says to the other, "They gotta gun!" In the next shot, Huggy, and/or his mate, throw a water heater down the stairs.