The Rockford Files

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Rockford Files

#316 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:42 pm
Pahonu wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:10 pm I’m glad people are watching and enjoying the comments.

According to Ed Robertson’s books, Cherokee Productions bought three firebirds each season up through 1978. One was used as an action car, one was kept pristine for closeup work, and then there was the crash car. The action car had microphones to record road sounds during scenes. The cars were the powerful Firebird Formulas with 400 cu in V-8s, but made to look like the basic Esprit model by eliminating the hood scoops and spoiler. This was apparently Garner’s choice, nothing too flashy, but a performance car he could really push. It also included improved suspension, brakes, and tires. The models changed slightly over the years including the most obvious, two to four headlights. There were also changes to the rear window. The changes by Pontiac to the nose in 1979 were not to Garner’s taste so they continued to use the 1978 models until the series ended.
Wow. I thought the peeling out with the screeching tires on dirt was a prerecorded sound. :)
They still likely used foley sound even with the recordings, but I’m not certain.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#317 Post by Chris109 »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 pm
Chris109 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:06 pm Saw on Cannon today that Jimbo might have been an assassin or someone stole his car to take a shot at Cannon. And in his own back yard.

Is this the episode where the father is worried his daughter has become a member of a Manson-like cult? It was made not long after the actual murders.

That shot is actually the Paradise Cove parking lot where Jim’s trailer would eventually be parked, though it was located further west up the beach along with the Sandcastle restaurant. The pier entrance can be seen and the houses down the beach at the end of the parking lot included one that would eventually be used in David Janssen’ series Harry-O that debuted at the same time as Rockford.
Yeah, that's the episode. And there was a statement during the show about a character being gay. The girls mother says. "It's common knowledge that Larry doesn't like...girls."

But, then, that whole show was strange. Especially when the gay character, Larry, was supposedly doing weird things with his mother, according to her. They were even alluding to the fact that they may have been sleeping together.

Pahonu

#318 Post by Pahonu »

Just wanted to link to this post as I think many here will enjoy the series.

https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=4660

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#319 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. bailed on ROCKFORD??? :o

Another trip to Florida? :wink:

Pahonu

#320 Post by Pahonu »

Chris109 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:20 pm
Pahonu wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 pm
Chris109 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:06 pm Saw on Cannon today that Jimbo might have been an assassin or someone stole his car to take a shot at Cannon. And in his own back yard.

Is this the episode where the father is worried his daughter has become a member of a Manson-like cult? It was made not long after the actual murders.

That shot is actually the Paradise Cove parking lot where Jim’s trailer would eventually be parked, though it was located further west up the beach along with the Sandcastle restaurant. The pier entrance can be seen and the houses down the beach at the end of the parking lot included one that would eventually be used in David Janssen’ series Harry-O that debuted at the same time as Rockford.
Yeah, that's the episode. And there was a statement during the show about a character being gay. The girls mother says. "It's common knowledge that Larry doesn't like...girls."

But, then, that whole show was strange. Especially when the gay character, Larry, was supposedly doing weird things with his mother, according to her. They were even alluding to the fact that they may have been sleeping together.
I just wanted to add that in this video clip where Cannon drives “into” Paradise Cove, he is coming from the end of the parking lot. :lol: It’s a dead end behind his car and, as I mentioned, about three or four houses beyond the one you see behind his car was the house used in Harry-O. It had a separate road leading down from Cove Road which is now gone, as is the house. The remaining houses are condemned having sustained storm damage over the years and being in an unbuildable area. The end of the Paradise Cove pier was also washed away many years ago.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#321 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:43 am T.Q. bailed on ROCKFORD??? :o

Haven't completely bailed yet.

Hurt my back and haven't been working-out.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#322 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:28 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:43 am T.Q. bailed on ROCKFORD??? :o

Haven't completely bailed yet.

Hurt my back and haven't been working-out.
Hope you feel better soon. I hear The Rockford Files helps speed recuperation. :lol:

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#323 Post by T.Q. »

I just played catch-up and finished Better Call Saul and looked up if there were plans for anything else in the Breaking Bad universe.

Happened on this.

For the Rockford fans.
"he spoke about a variety of topics, including the origins of “Better Call Saul,” his love for “The Rockford Files,” and (spoilers alert!) the much anticipated ending to a franchise"
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-n ... a-good-guy
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#324 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:39 am
Hope you feel better soon. I hear The Rockford Files helps speed recuperation. :lol:
Thanks P. <3

Pahonu

#325 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:09 pm I just played catch-up and finished Better Call Saul and looked up if there were plans for anything else in the Breaking Bad universe.

Happened on this.

For the Rockford fans.
"he spoke about a variety of topics, including the origins of “Better Call Saul,” his love for “The Rockford Files,” and (spoilers alert!) the much anticipated ending to a franchise"
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-n ... a-good-guy
That was really interesting and the Michael Mann story was good too, thanks.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#326 Post by T.Q. »

This Case Is Closed

Okay episodes.

Super slow with a lot of drawn-out scenes though.

You don't even really find out what the story is about until about 20 minutes into Part 1.

Fleet Admiral

#327 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:45 pm This Case Is Closed

Okay episodes.

Super slow with a lot of drawn-out scenes though.

You don't even really find out what the story is about until about 20 minutes into Part 1.
I remember this being another good one, but perhaps the 2-parter was a bit padded out. Probably would have been tighter as a 1-hour episode. But I do remember liking the way the story is told, switching between present day and what happened few days ago. That was good. Big guest stars in Joseph Cotten (past his Hollywood glory days) and Sharon Gless (before her fame).

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#328 Post by T.Q. »

The Big Ripoff

Suzanne Somers - Wow. Young.

Pretty good.

Enjoy Jim's antics and techniques.

He gets beat up (and stiffed) a lot. :lol:

Enjoying the episodes but to be honest The Rockford Files hasn't really gripped me that much. Don't kill me.

Fleet Admiral

#329 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:03 pm The Big Ripoff

Suzanne Somers - Wow. Young.

Pretty good.

Enjoy Jim's antics and techniques.

He gets beat up (and stiffed) a lot. :lol:
I only saw it once a few years back (when it was streaming on Netflix) but honestly I can't recall much about it, other than Suzanne Somers in a non-speaking part circling around some car (playing the ditzy blond stereotype I think). Also Jill Clayburgh as the main guest star but what her story was or how she figures in the plot I honestly can't remember. Guess it didn't leave much of an impression. :?
Enjoying the episodes but to be honest The Rockford Files hasn't really gripped me that much. Don't kill me.
So what you're really saying is that by this point in your Five-O viewing you were chewing your fingernails with eager excitement and combing your hair in the style of Jack Lord. :lol: Not the case here, eh? :?

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#330 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:26 pm
So what you're really saying is that by this point in your Five-O viewing you were chewing your fingernails with eager excitement and combing your hair in the style of Jack Lord. :lol: Not the case here, eh? :?
It's weird. I like him fine. I like his one liners and his sneakiness. He's a cool character. Just not hooked. Maybe I just don't think the stories have been all that great.