The Six Million Dollar Man

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

The Six Million Dollar Man

#1 Post by Magnum T. »

"Steve Austin, astronaut... a man barely alive..."

I am watching the 3d season of this series.
All started a few weeks ago when I found "The Bionic Woman", complete and at a good price and I decided to buy it.
They had Season 1 and 3 of TSMDM and I took them too (I'll have to catch the 2nd season on another site, apparently season 4 and 5 have never been released).

I used to watch the show as a child and I remember I liked it.
I must say it looks a little dated today.
I am amazed but 70% of the show is made up by Lee Majors running in slow-motion :lol:
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Seaver41 »

it was definitely a period piece. When I think back on it, there is very little that I explicitly remember. Sure the Bigfoot episodes were a bit of shark jumping, but it was basically a bit slow. I definitely do remember that it was huge when it started, but it was tired when done. When a show goes out like that, it's not often you long for it. I'd watch it for the choice episodes i liked, but it would be tough to sit through it all.

another cliche........how many times does his bionics go on the fritz?

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by AmandaByNight »

I haven't seen the Six Million Dollar Man in forever. I would love to though... We some Bionic Woman floating around here.

The Bionic Man/Woman crossover movies they made in the 80s/90s are hysterical. Sandra Bullock is in one of them!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Magnum T. »

I finished the first 3 seasons a few months ago but haven't had the time to post.
It is certainly a little aged (at the beginning I was like: oh oh, maybe I made a mistake) but once you get used to it ad catch the tone of the series it's funny. Too bad the series seems to be doomed to remain incomplete, here in Italy.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#5 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I remember watching and liking this show when I was a kid. The only thing I seem to remember is the slow motion sequences showing his bionic abilities. I remember thinking "I want to be like that!" I think I still do.

Gotta check out a few shows. Are there any stand out episodes you recommend Magnum T?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Magnum T. »

Yeah, a lot of slow-motion!
As for your question, it's a matter of taste, furthermore the Italian sets aren't complete, some episodes are missing (i.e. the Bigfoot ones) and, as I said I only own the first three seasons and I watched the show a few months ago.
Said that, I like all the SMDM/TBW crossover episodes.
"Population: zero", "Doomsday, and counting" from S1, "The Seven Million Dollar Man", "Stranger in Broken Fork", "Steve Austin, fugitive" from S2 and "Love song for Tanya", "The bionic badge" form S3 might be interesting ones to watch.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#7 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Thanks dude.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by Magnum T. »

You're welcome.
I forgot to mention all the episodes in which Jennifer Darling (aka Peggy Callahan) has a major role, they are interesting too.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

The "Bigfoot" and "Spaceship" episodes are the only ones I can remember. Other than that, like Styles, I can only picture the slow motion sequence (and opening credits) in my head! In the deepest depths of my memory I seem to recall something about a rival bionic man also, yes?
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Magnum T. »

What do you mean by "Spaceship" episodes?
Yes, there is another bionic man in episode 2.05 (The Seven Million Dollar Man, one of those I mentioned before) and the same character returns in episode 3.09 "The bionic criminal".
There are also some funny-to-watch episodes guest-starring Farrah Fawcett, Lee Major's wife at the time. They are 1.08, 2.11, 3.18 and 4.02.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum T. wrote:What do you mean by "Spaceship" episodes?
Well, I remembered it as a "spaceship", but it's apparently a Russian probe designed by Jane Merrow!

Death Probe

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Magnum T. »

It's a 2-parts episode from Season 4 so I don't have that one.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Seaver41 »

J.J. Walters wrote:The "Bigfoot" and "Spaceship" episodes are the only ones I can remember. Other than that, like Styles, I can only picture the slow motion sequence (and opening credits) in my head! In the deepest depths of my memory I seem to recall something about a rival bionic man also, yes?
MASKATRON! I had the toys.........Bigfoot with a push button in his back that moved his arms up/down as if to pound something.........Maskatron had removable everything.......arms, legs, face....and Steve Austin had this thin rubber/latex skin over his plastic arm. You roll it back and there was 1, maybe 2 plastic squares designed to look like electronic chips/circuits that were removable. What sucked was it was too easy to rip the latex. I think I even had the Oscar Goldman figure.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Seaver41 »

I believe John Saxon played Maskatron

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Six Million Dollar Man

#15 Post by Little Garwood »

Recently picked up all five seasons of the show as well as the first two of The Bionic Woman. I am another of those who came of age in the mid '70s watching this show. I didn't like it at all when I watched a few episodes on TV around 2001 but have since come to appreciate its "kid show" charm. I'm presently finishing off season two of SMDM and have to say the show does well in creating its own "universe." For me, the Bionic shows-- both of them--are a bridge between the shows of '65-'75 and the era in which Magnum began. Hopefully, others here will continue to chime in with their thoughts and episode reviews, which I have been scribbling down every so often.

Here's yours truly, circa 1976-77 with his Six Million Dollar Man (which I no longer have; the glass peacock, however, is in my own home to this day):

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck