Hell on Wheels

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Hell on Wheels

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Western fans take notice. A great new series is premiering on AMC November 6th, Hell on Wheels. It's somewhat similar to HBO's Deadwood. I don't have HBO, but I do have AMC, so I'm super excited about this. The early reviews have been off-the-charts positive.

*Video Clip*

The DVR is programmed and ready for this one. :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#2 Post by Steve »

I'm looking forward to it and I highly recommend you pickup the Deadwood dvd set James. It was an incredible show with some of the best acting from top to bottom I have ever seen, particularly from Ian McShane of Black on White and Skin Deep fame..............

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

I would love to see Deadwood at some point, but it's down a bit on my ever growing list of things to get. Someday maybe, who knows. ;)

I really liked the pilot of Hell on Wheels! I really like the idea of a show centered around a lawless town following the building of the transcontinental railroad! The cast is really good, too (who doesn't love Colm Meaney?). I like this Anson Mount guy. I'll definitely be watching future episodes.

A couple of slight nitpicks: I don't think there were any tobacco farmers in Meridian, Mississippi. And how many southern farmers freed slaves before the Civil War? Not many.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Steve »

I was flipping between the San Diego/Green Bay game and Hell on Wheels and the game finally won out. I will sit down this weekend and watch the entire show on "On-Demand" as it looked pretty darn good...........

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Seaver41 »

decided to watch the latest episode last night as much for the exclusive preview of the next Walking Dead episode when it returns in February............I liked it. Of course I'm a hair lost coming in week 4...but so far let me see if I have the gist.........Colm Meaney is scumbag Boss Hogg trying to profit off the railroad.........bearded guy is tracking down some Union soldier who did him wrong in Civil War..maybe a prison guard? Cute girl is English woman who fell in love with West and saw her hubby massacred by Indians.....or did I miss something big with that? Not sure if I will have time to go back....but will try.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Steve »

Seaver41 wrote:decided to watch the latest episode last night as much for the exclusive preview of the next Walking Dead episode when it returns in February............I liked it. Of course I'm a hair lost coming in week 4...but so far let me see if I have the gist.........Colm Meaney is scumbag Boss Hogg trying to profit off the railroad.........bearded guy is tracking down some Union soldier who did him wrong in Civil War..maybe a prison guard? Cute girl is English woman who fell in love with West and saw her hubby massacred by Indians.....or did I miss something big with that? Not sure if I will have time to go back....but will try.
I have been catching parts of it and want to find some time to watch all the episodes all of the way through. You've got it nailed down except some of the finer points I have picked up on so far (hopefully James can fill in some blanks) Colm Meaney's character is paid by the USA by the mile of tracks laid so he doesn't want a straight line of tracks cutting through the plains but instead have them "meander a bit". The"bearded guy" was a southern small plantation owner that had an epiphany, released his slaves before the war, still fought for the south and had his wife brutally raped and murdered by some northern soldiers and an officer. In the opening one of the soldiers was a priest that he took out in the confessional, the officer was the foreman on the railroad and was taken out by Common before he had a chance to kill him himself and there was another he killed, was going to be hanged for but, escaped and talked his way into the foremans job. The relationship between him and Common is going to be an interesting part of the series as there is still a lot of race hating but with some respect between the two characters..............

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Seaver41 »

Steve wrote:
Seaver41 wrote:decided to watch the latest episode last night as much for the exclusive preview of the next Walking Dead episode when it returns in February............I liked it. Of course I'm a hair lost coming in week 4...but so far let me see if I have the gist.........Colm Meaney is scumbag Boss Hogg trying to profit off the railroad.........bearded guy is tracking down some Union soldier who did him wrong in Civil War..maybe a prison guard? Cute girl is English woman who fell in love with West and saw her hubby massacred by Indians.....or did I miss something big with that? Not sure if I will have time to go back....but will try.
I have been catching parts of it and want to find some time to watch all the episodes all of the way through. You've got it nailed down except some of the finer points I have picked up on so far (hopefully James can fill in some blanks) Colm Meaney's character is paid by the USA by the mile of tracks laid so he doesn't want a straight line of tracks cutting through the plains but instead have them "meander a bit". The"bearded guy" was a southern small plantation owner that had an epiphany, released his slaves before the war, still fought for the south and had his wife brutally raped and murdered by some northern soldiers and an officer. In the opening one of the soldiers was a priest that he took out in the confessional, the officer was the foreman on the railroad and was taken out by Common before he had a chance to kill him himself and there was another he killed, was going to be hanged for but, escaped and talked his way into the foremans job. The relationship between him and Common is going to be an interesting part of the series as there is still a lot of race hating but with some respect between the two characters..............
.....nice synopsis...........told me enough w/o taking away the pleasure of watching it. I see it is being replayed on weekend so I have it scheduled on DVR already.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

I havn't seen an episode since the Pilot! I keep forgetting to record it! What's wrong with me! :?

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Seaver41 »

with all the holidays and the crap that comes with them, my tv viewing is taking a hit. I have since seen the pilot and the next. Good show. I will stick with it. A simple detail resonated with me. We always see westerns portrayed with lots of booze drinking at the saloon. The portrayal has become cliche'.......stumbling and fights.............but rarely have you seen the next morning. In the pilot they show the morning aftermath of the lead character and I know how he feels...we've all been there at least once. These guys couldn't live a long life drinking the amount of booze they did.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Steve »

I've been trying like heck to keep up but am falling a bit behind what with Hung and now Luck on HBO at the same time. I do have to say that the lead actor, Anson Mount is blowing me away with his performance not to mention Common and Christopher Hyerdahl (the swede in black)...........

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Steve wrote:I've been trying like heck to keep up but am falling a bit behind what with Hung and now Luck on HBO at the same time. I do have to say that the lead actor, Anson Mount is blowing me away with his performance not to mention Common and Christopher Hyerdahl (the swede in black)...........
I've finally caught with all the episodes. Really, really enjoying this show! It's really well done. It's The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Deadwood all rolled into one! I totally agree Steve, Anson Mount, Common and Chris Hyerdahl are putting on some great performances (as are Dominique McElligott and Colm Meaney)! I didn't know who this Common guy was until this show. My knowledge of modern hip-hop artists is pretty weak. But he's a damn good actor! What a great character Elam Ferguson is. The role of a lifetime for him.

So glad I found a new show that I like! There are so few! ;)

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Steve »

I was really into Deadwood and in my spare time I liked to research the real characters vs. the show's portrayal of them. I finally had time to look up Colm Meaney's character "Doc" Durant to see if he was such a manipulating a-hole in real life and was he ever. He would have fit righ in with some of today's economic manipulaters on Wall Street and in Banking.................