Columbo

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Braddah Kimo
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Braddah Kimo »

The trenchcoat is usually associated with film noir private detectives and fourties hoods. And now Columbo. Nothing unsavory about that.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: Columbo

#12 Post by marlboro »

Just one more thing...

You can't list great Peter Falk movies and not mention The In-Laws (1979.) It's an all time classic.

RIP

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Sam »

I recently watched an episode from season one..Blueprint for Murder..1972...Sellecks house was used for filming.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Little Garwood »

The best killers all have repeat appearances:

Jack Cassidy--

Murder by the Book
Publish or Perish
Now You See Him

My #1 pick, and the guest actor most associated with this show. No one's smarmier, sleazier, and yet so utterly charming! I haven't seen Cassidy in too much else, but I daresay outside of his Broadway roles, his Columbo appearances are his lasting career legacy. Cassidy plays it broad, but it's always believable. He's got that sleaze/charm routine down pat. Forget Indiana Jones, I'd ask Spielberg what it was like to direct Jack Cassidy!

Robert Culp-

Death Lends a Hand
The Most Crucial Game
Double Exposure

What I like about Culp's performances is that they actually seem like a real life arrogant S.O.B. Not played over-the-top, but he's like someone you'd meet and then despise. His Bart Kepple barely tolerates Lt. Columbo, but only deals with him because the man is the law. Kudos to Culp for growing a Fu Manchi 'stache for The Most Crucial Game.

Patrick McGoohan-

By Dawn's Early Light
Identity Crisis

By Dawn's Early Light is a preview of McGoohan's Escape From Alcatrazwarden. Both men are righteous and totally blind in their belief system, with no room for negotiation. Yes, they believe their own tired cliches, like Haynes says to McGoohan in Early Light.

My favorite McGoohan is Identity Crisis, when The Master brings a charm and "Be seeing you" to the proceedings. He even gets to play spy with his Steinmetz persona. Love Pat's 1970s threads, too. The fact that McGoohan seemed uncomfortable in his own skin is what I find fascinating about him. The tension he brought to every character he ever played is one of the great aspects of his style.

These three performers are hands down the very best in terms of rapport with Lt. Columbo: deviousness, charm, and all-around screen charisma---IMO. And they all bring their unique strengths to their roles and make every Columbo they're in the most memorable for me.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#15 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:05 pm The best killers all have repeat appearances:

Jack Cassidy--

Murder by the Book
Publish or Perish
Now You See Him

My #1 pick, and the guest actor most associated with this show. No one's smarmier, sleazier, and yet so utterly charming! I haven't seen Cassidy in too much else, but I daresay outside of his Broadway roles, his Columbo appearances are his lasting career legacy. Cassidy plays it broad, but it's always believable. He's got that sleaze/charm routine down pat. Forget Indiana Jones, I'd ask Spielberg what it was like to direct Jack Cassidy!

Robert Culp-

Death Lends a Hand
The Most Crucial Game
Double Exposure

What I like about Culp's performances is that they actually seem like a real life arrogant S.O.B. Not played over-the-top, but he's like someone you'd meet and then despise. His Bart Kepple barely tolerates Lt. Columbo, but only deals with him because the man is the law. Kudos to Culp for growing a Fu Manchi 'stache for The Most Crucial Game.

Patrick McGoohan-

By Dawn's Early Light
Identity Crisis

By Dawn's Early Light is a preview of McGoohan's Escape From Alcatrazwarden. Both men are righteous and totally blind in their belief system, with no room for negotiation. Yes, they believe their own tired cliches, like Haynes says to McGoohan in Early Light.

My favorite McGoohan is Identity Crisis, when The Master brings a charm and "Be seeing you" to the proceedings. He even gets to play spy with his Steinmetz persona. Love Pat's 1970s threads, too. The fact that McGoohan seemed uncomfortable in his own skin is what I find fascinating about him. The tension he brought to every character he ever played is one of the great aspects of his style.

These three performers are hands down the very best in terms of rapport with Lt. Columbo: deviousness, charm, and all-around screen charisma---IMO. And they all bring their unique strengths to their roles and make every Columbo they're in the most memorable for me.
These are great episodes and villains. McGoohan appeared in a couple of the later episodes also, and directed several, including directing himself.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

You should read Jack Cassidy's bio on IMDB and about his divorce from Shirley Jones. He was a strange character in real life. Bipolar I think he was. Suffered from schizophrenia, depression, etc. Did some weird things. Died in a fire when he fell asleep and his couch caught fire from a lit cigarette. He was only 49.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Little Garwood »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:23 pm You should read Jack Cassidy's bio on IMDB and about his divorce from Shirley Jones. He was a strange character in real life. Bipolar I think he was. Suffered from schizophrenia, depression, etc. Did some weird things. Died in a fire when he fell asleep and his couch caught fire from a lit cigarette. He was only 49.
It's a wonder Cassidy was able to function for as long as he did. I admire him greatly as a performer. He also had a fine singing voice.

"The Song is You"

youtu.be/yBizwqA9taQ
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck