Quigley Down Under

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Quigley Down Under

#16 Post by terryfromkerry »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:Glad you enjoyed it 308GUY. Just one more and a recent one for Australian TV. He speaks briefly about his time there during Quigley Down Under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4abrkkDAyk
Thank you for digging that up. As the years pass I have noticed Quigley is getting a lot more love and appreciation. The chemistry between Selleck and Laura San
Giancomo really comes across and Alan Rickman's character is one of the best ever in Westerns, he should have got at least a Oscar nod if not a win.
What a shame they didn't make a sequel.

---------------------------------
Lucille: "Do you like me as a blonde?"
Gunther: "Like you? I don't think our marriage license covers it!"
...Car 54 Where Are You
Interesting piece of trivia (courtesy of IMDB). Quigley Down Under (1990) was directed by Australian directer Simon Wincer. He directed the mini - series Lonesome Dove (1989). He went on to direct TS again in Crossfire Trail (2001) and Monte Walsh (2003). In the light of this ( you are so right "nephew" ) it seems such a shame they did not make a Quigley sequel. They obviously worked well together and Wincer clearly has a real affection for the genre .
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by terryfromkerry »

I do not recall this being posted previously. It seems appropriate to post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn_QcYroGic
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Laohu »

terryfromkerry wrote:I do not recall this being posted previously. It seems appropriate to post it here.

That’s a awesome interview thanks for posting it !

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Laohu wrote:
terryfromkerry wrote:I do not recall this being posted previously. It seems appropriate to post it here.

That’s a awesome interview thanks for posting it !
Amen to that, Laohu. Best Selleck interview I have ever seen. He is one sharp cookie, totally into his craft. Contrast him with the inarticulate
buffoons that come on talk shows to push their latest movie. Sometimes I wish Blue Bloods wasn't such a hit as otherwise he would have
been doing some more Westerns. Joel McCrea, John Wayne, Randolph Scott did plenty of good Westerns as they aged, the Scott westerns in
particular would fit Selleck to a "T" if he remade them.

------------------------------------------------
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."
...Clint Eastwood as Josey Wales in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" (1976)
Great movie but the writer was a senior member of the KKK!

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Reef monkey »

Finally watched this last weekend. Not nearly as bad as I had always heard it was.
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by K Hale »

Reef monkey wrote:Finally watched this last weekend. Not nearly as bad as I had always heard it was.
It’s good!
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Reef monkey wrote:Finally watched this last weekend. Not nearly as bad as I had always heard it was.
Terse City, Reef Monkey. Are you referring to Quigley Down Under or Selleck's interview? Maybe the critics of the interview didn't care for
his interest in firearms?
With his knowledge of The West it would be great if TCM invited Tom to one of those all nighters where they run his
favorite Westerns back to back, with Tom and the host spending 10 minutes or so at the start and end talking about the movie and the genre
in general.

Amian
Admiral

#23 Post by Amian »

Always loved the movie, but Cora always bugged me a bit. Just too annoying in parts, even if she really did have some pathos to her.

Elsewhere, this has been my avatar at times, courtesy of the old Selleck Waterfall Sandwich tumblr. (Yes, that's a spam sandwich on his rifle.)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

terryfromkerry wrote: Interesting piece of trivia (courtesy of IMDB). Quigley Down Under (1990) was directed by Australian directer Simon Wincer. He directed the mini - series Lonesome Dove (1989). He went on to direct TS again in Crossfire Trail (2001) and Monte Walsh (2003). In the light of this ( you are so right "nephew" ) it seems such a shame they did not make a Quigley sequel. They obviously worked well together and Wincer clearly has a real affection for the genre .
Hi Terry,
I just saw "William Kelly's War" for free on tubi. It's about 2 Australian brothers and their cousin who go off to WW1 and are assigned as a sniper team because
of their prowess with a rifle. It has a "Quigley" vibe to the story, but to reveal anymore would take a lot away from the movie. I had looked it up online
to see the reviews, and damn if these idiots did't AGAIN reveal major plot points just in the character descriptions. Good reviews, many liking it better than the
famous Australian classic war film Gallipoli, for both the battle and the folks back home scenes. It's not huge budget is a bonus as it forced the producers to film
on actual rural/Outback locations(the battle scenes were not filmed overseas but on a set erected on a farm and are excellent).
This movie and Quigley would be a perfect double feature to watch together. They also share an actor in the highly regarded Australian movie and TV star Tony Bonner.
One reviewer said it's based on a true story but I couldn't find out any more than that.
I am not sure but I think tubi deletes swear words or some sexual situations. A reviewer mentioned the salty language in this film, but I didn't hear any, maybe this
is a version for non cable TV, but it didn't seem to hurt the story.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by terryfromkerry »

Thanks for the recommendation nephew. I'll check it out. :)