WKRP In Cincinnati

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: WKRP In Cincinnati

#21 Post by ConchRepublican »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
Mozambique_patt wrote:I watched a lot of these, was a great show. The Turkey episode is the first one that comes to mind but one show when Les was doing sports and pronouncing Chi Chi Rodriguez wrong, something like Chiy Chiy Rod-re-go. Johny tried to help him out but Les didn't believe him.
Something more like "Chai-Chai Rodregueze" (with the emphasis awkwardly on "Rod"). Cracks me up even thinking about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fq4RQgwuA
I still use Chai Chai Rod-ree-guez
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Lance Mannion
Lieutenant Commander

#22 Post by Lance Mannion »

X 10 on WKRP - That whole era (to me) was what they got amazingly right - MPI and S&S, vis-à-vis entertainment ... And what they got so horribly wrong ... Back in circa 2000, my friends and I, tossed an 80's "bash" in NYC and we really could not believe how many of I guess, the would-be "milleniums ?" loved it all (most of all, the cute girls :-)) ... It didn't hurt Rob Lowe and Heather Locklear showed up for a Cameo ...

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#23 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

[quote="J.J. Walters"]Fun show! Probably only saw a dozen episodes or so back in the day. I hear people talk about the "turkey" and "Who" episodes all the time, but I never had the privilege of watching them.
Jan Smithers was a real highlight for me. ;)

Along with JJ most people prefer Jan Smithers over Loni Anderson, as well as Dawn Welles(Mary Anne) over Ginger, two debates that will never be resolved and will endure far longer than any presidential ones.
Loni Anderson was married to my neighbor Norm's airline pilot nephew. I saw her when she visited right before her career took off in the early 1970's, usually in guest star babe parts on Spelling productions.
She was a brunette then and I can tell you the camera doesn't do her justice.
She was flawless and sans the Barbie Doll dye job and make up for her cliche WKRP role she was even more breathtaking.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KingKC »

I definitely vote the same as JJ and Dobie. Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) and Bailey Quarters (Jan Smithers) over "Ginger" and "Jennifer."

KingKC

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Steve »

KingKC wrote:I definitely vote the same as JJ and Dobie. Mary Ann (Dawn Wells) and Bailey Quarters (Jan Smithers) over "Ginger" and "Jennifer."

KingKC

Yep, me too...........Now how about the whole Betty vs. Veronica debate

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#26 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I enjoyed the show, but I started re-watching it via DVDs from the library and I find myself enjoying it more now. I hadn't realized how many serious episodes there were of the series. The episode "In Concert" may have been Gordon Jump's best acting work. He was fantastic in that. It's definitely dated, but I still enjoy watching it.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Just a heads up: WKRP is starting from the pilot on MeTV on April 2nd at 9:30pm est.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Just a heads up: WKRP is starting from the pilot on MeTV on April 2nd at 9:30pm est.
Thank you MagnumsLeftShoulder for giving us the heads up. By the way, one of THE best bloggers on television shows is Stephen Bowie. Actually I don't know of a better one writing about Classic TV. Here is the link

https://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/ ... /#comments

to his much lauded take on WKRP, and the immortal Turkey Episode. Bowie reveals it was based on a real Dallas radio station that chucked the birds out of a copter on Thanksgiving.
He also relates how a woman in deep depression, on the verge of suicide, saw the Turkey episode and it raised her spirits so much it just about saved her, and the story hit the media. WKRP star Gordon 'The Big Guy' Jump, a deeply religious and kind man, saw the story, called her up and when she said "hello" he repeated the "as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" line! What a great guy.
By the way, some of the most outlandish and crazy episodes are, like MASH, based on true life happenings, and like MASH the producers even toned them down a tad lest the viewers roll their eyes in disbelief.
If any of you are sick of the sea of crap that passes for comedy on the networks these days(with a few exceptions), take MagnumsLeftShoulder's advice and tune
in WKRP.