Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#46 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

LOL! Yes, that too! :lol:

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#47 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Just rewatching the series, I think it is getting better each time I watch it.

Another good one from the first season: "Shoot out" another one where they are dependent on each other, this time Hutch caring for Starsky after Starsky got shot.

Just one question. Why to suspects *always* flee to the roof?? :roll:
Anyone should know you're doomed up there!

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Magnum T. »

Just a few days ago I was thinking about rewatching it.
But there's so much to do and so little time.
This night I am going to begin a long ride through five seasons of "The A-Team".
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: Starsky and Hutch

#49 Post by MagnumILWU »

One of my all-time favorite shows! I have a new channel on my DirecTV; "El Rey"! They are showing some good old shows; The X-Files, Dark Angel, and of course, Starsky & Hutch! I'm watching a two-parter from early 1977, The Set-Up. In part 2, Roger E Mosley is a pilot (The Baron), flying an old Bi-Plane(?), with the leather helmet, and big goggles. Eugene Roche is the head bad guy in both parts!
"pickled egg please"

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#50 Post by MagnumILWU »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Just rewatching the series, I think it is getting better each time I watch it.

Another good one from the first season: "Shoot out" another one where they are dependent on each other, this time Hutch caring for Starsky after Starsky got shot.

Just one question. Why to suspects *always* flee to the roof?? :roll:
Anyone should know you're doomed up there!
That episode was just on this morning. Starsky & Hutch is on every Wednesday morning, on MAVTV( channel 214 on DirecTV). I just bought a Levis coat from the 70's. The exact one Hutch wore on the series(the longer coat). I have photo's of a friend on mine wearing one in the 70's, so I had to have it! Fits great!
"pickled egg please"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#51 Post by terryfromkerry »

Just one question. Why do suspects *always* flee to the roof?? :roll:
Anyone should know you're doomed up there![/quote]

LOL , great observation. I have recently been watching early episodes of The Streets Of San Francisco. The " perp " typically runs up a fire escape to get away. Then we get a very cinematic, scenic and athlethic chase across the skyline roof tops. 'Frisco" bay in the background, The young Michael Douglas chasing ................the great Karl Malden there at some point to apprehend. Love this !
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#52 Post by Little Garwood »

In my ongoing quest to revisit select childhood favorites, I have rediscovered S&H! I've always enjoyed the show and remembered what a quality program it was--despite it being stereotyped as the typical cop show--I tend to despise cop shows but the ones with a significant twist or ones that emphasized character always stayed with me. I didn't care about the car, in fact I liked it when they had to use Hutch's old brown Ford Galaxie 500!

I can blame this 1978 ABC promo (voiced by the legendary Ernie Anderson) for finally making me take the plunge in getting back into this series. "Hutch faces the toughest bust of his life!"
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Little Garwood »

Watched the Starsky & Hutch pilot last night and appreciated the grittier take on what would become the series proper. Cinematically and character wise, I saw elements of The French Connection, The Seven Ups, and even Peter Hyams' Busting in the mix. My fellow '70s old hands probably know which scenes I'm talking about already.

I only ever briefly watched S&H thirty years ago as a middle-schooler in reruns (my grandfather was a big cop show enthusiast) but remembered how well the two leads connected with one another. Paul Michael Glaser reminds me of a (lesser) James Caan, but he's an engaging performer in his own right.

Musically, I enjoyed Lalo Schifrin's ominous-sounding theme (used during the climactic shoot 'em up) and Dirty Harryesque sound to the score. Particularly the scene outside the motel (in the rain) when the crook goes down the side of the building.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by Little Garwood »

Making my way through season three and apart from that bizarre, incredibly dopey two-parter filmed on Hawaii, Starsky and Hutch is a pretty tough and gritty show. Like MPI, the tone can veer from light and silly to solemn, serious, and downright depressing--and that's just in a single episode!

Starsky and Hutch had three theme tunes and I like them all. Lalo Schfrin's S1 fits the grittiness best and also goes best with the onscreen montage during the opening credits. Tom Scott's theme is probably the best known because it was used in seasons two and four. Mark Snow composed the S3 theme and I think it's the funkiest of the three themes used. I like that the themes play endlessly over the DVD menus.

~Tom Selleck