Starsky and Hutch

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#16 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Magnum T. wrote: You got a link? I'd like to take a look, although I'm pretty sure they don't ship to Italy :wink:
http://www.starskysweater.com/

Click on the side bar on the left where it says "Sweater Page! Oder Yours Here!"

edit: Wow, the price has gone up!!!!!!!!!!!
Magnum T. wrote: I remember to have read somewhere that David Soul was having bad days.
Do you know something about?
Bad... years. He's having wife trouble, he's married to wife no. 6 now, younger than his youngest son... He had bad drinking problems, that probably cost him a couple of marriages (and certainly his good looks).
Quite sad really. I think he's one of those people who couldn't handle fame.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Magnum T. »

Thanks for the link.
It's very interesting. The problem is I have to nail the right size since they don't accept returns (which will cost a lot anyway).
Gotta think about it.
Visiting Stewardess wrote: Bad... years. He's having wife trouble, he's married to wife no. 6 now, younger than his youngest son... He had bad drinking problems, that probably cost him a couple of marriages (and certainly his good looks).
Quite sad really. I think he's one of those people who couldn't handle fame.
Really sad to read this. I remember something like he had no money but didn't know about wives and alcohol.
I know P.M. Glaser has had big troubles too (his wife and children infected by HIV, I was very sorry when I heard that) but then I saw him in "Something's gotta give" and at the end of "Starsky & Hutch" (the movie), along with buddy David Soul and I was happy.
"Zeus, Apollo, get out of my Ferrari!"
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Yeah, that was a nice moment, that last scene of the movie. I was looking forward to that for the entire length of the movie and then I almost didn't recognise David Soul!!!! What a shock! Now I got used to his current look.

grambax
Lieutenant

#19 Post by grambax »

We've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick and watching some old shows. Magnom PI is obviously one, which brought me here, but Starsky & Hutsh is another. My other half never really saw or liked either, but thankfully is a recent convert to both. Magnum is for Thursday nights (usually in a "double bill" with 7th Heaven, which neither of us had ever seen, but my late parents loved) and S&H is Sunday or Munday nights, with a western (Bonnanza for now). I'm the obsissive one!

I think S&H and Magnum are, for me at least, the shows that best defined their times, certainly in terms of TV action/drama. And both hold up remarkably well.

I wasn't keen on the S&H film though. IMHO Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson could have been good, but took the lazy route of playing their established characters, which were actually almost exactly the opposite to S&H's; it was as if they had switched characters, I felt.

Would love to be able to visit some of the locations, but I'm a long way away, in Scotland. But I did have (more or less) the trainers and the cardigan, back in the day.

The episode that sevaral here have cited as their favourite, The Fix, was banned in the UK by the BBC, and was unseen here until around 10 years ago when another channel finally showed it.

Watching S&H I find it hard to believe that neither went on to great careers. They really were very good indeed; much better than some contemporaries who later did much more work. David Soul at least has worked pretty continually, and I suspect his personal problems probably cost him some work. But Paul Michael Glaser really looked like a star in the making. I'm sure at least to some extent his carrer was distracted by his awful personal tragedies, but I find it astonishing that he never had any major film roles or another TV series. Perhaps he and Soul worked so well together that they weren't seen as independad stars? I don't know but the star quality and talent was there, especially in PMG.

Its good to see that they seem to have remained friends and occassionally appear together.

There is a relatively recent interview with PMG's son on Youtube, who has lived all his life with HIV, but thankfully without symptoms, due to, it is claimed, a gene he inherited from his father.

Anyway, a great show, that still stands today.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Magnum T. »

The movie is kind of a comic alternate version of the series.
You can't watch it thinking of the series or you will be disappointed.
The tv-show had its light moments but essentially was a police drama, the movie is a glamorous, larger-than-life comedy, incidentally using the characters of the S&H universe.
I did not expect much more than a light-hearted comedy and I was not disappointed.
I must say that I like Ben Stiller's movies (at least the ones I have watched).
One thing I didn't like was Owen Wilson, I don't "dig" him.
But he seems a good friend of Stiller's and they often work together, so I think I'll have to get used to him.
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by AmandaByNight »

grambax wrote:We've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick and watching some old shows. Magnom PI is obviously one, which brought me here, but Starsky & Hutsh is another. My other half never really saw or liked either, but thankfully is a recent convert to both. Magnum is for Thursday nights (usually in a "double bill" with 7th Heaven, which neither of us had ever seen, but my late parents loved) and S&H is Sunday or Munday nights, with a western (Bonnanza for now). I'm the obsissive one!

I think S&H and Magnum are, for me at least, the shows that best defined their times, certainly in terms of TV action/drama. And both hold up remarkably well.

I wasn't keen on the S&H film though. IMHO Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson could have been good, but took the lazy route of playing their established characters, which were actually almost exactly the opposite to S&H's; it was as if they had switched characters, I felt.

Would love to be able to visit some of the locations, but I'm a long way away, in Scotland. But I did have (more or less) the trainers and the cardigan, back in the day.

The episode that sevaral here have cited as their favourite, The Fix, was banned in the UK by the BBC, and was unseen here until around 10 years ago when another channel finally showed it.

Watching S&H I find it hard to believe that neither went on to great careers. They really were very good indeed; much better than some contemporaries who later did much more work. David Soul at least has worked pretty continually, and I suspect his personal problems probably cost him some work. But Paul Michael Glaser really looked like a star in the making. I'm sure at least to some extent his carrer was distracted by his awful personal tragedies, but I find it astonishing that he never had any major film roles or another TV series. Perhaps he and Soul worked so well together that they weren't seen as independad stars? I don't know but the star quality and talent was there, especially in PMG.

Its good to see that they seem to have remained friends and occassionally appear together.

There is a relatively recent interview with PMG's son on Youtube, who has lived all his life with HIV, but thankfully without symptoms, due to, it is claimed, a gene he inherited from his father.

Anyway, a great show, that still stands today.
I've always been moved by Paul Michael Glaser's story. What a tragedy. I'm glad to hear his son is doing well. I actually think of PMG and his family often, although I can't say I'm a super huge fan. It's just hard to not be moved by his story.

PMG did end up directing a few things. I'm pretty sure I've seen his name on quite a few credits.

A few years ago my friend actually met David Soul... well, they had a conversation over the phone at my old job (I worked for an entertainment labor union) and he told me DS was a really hilarious and a fun guy to talk to. I was jealous!

grambax
Lieutenant

#22 Post by grambax »

Magnum T. wrote:The movie is kind of a comic alternate version of the series.
You can't watch it thinking of the series or you will be disappointed.
The tv-show had its light moments but essentially was a police drama, the movie is a glamorous, larger-than-life comedy, incidentally using the characters of the S&H universe.
I did not expect much more than a light-hearted comedy and I was not disappointed.
I must say that I like Ben Stiller's movies (at least the ones I have watched).
One thing I didn't like was Owen Wilson, I don't "dig" him.
But he seems a good friend of Stiller's and they often work together, so I think I'll have to get used to him.
I think I got what they were trying to do. Its not that I mind a comic take on the series; I thought it worked well with The Brady Bunch for example (although I was far less familiar with that series). It was the virtual reversal of the characters that bothered me. I quite like both actors, and I thought they were a good fit physically for the roles. But Stiller tends to play uptight characters while Owen is relaxed and chilled though, and that's exactly how they played this. While in S&H the characters were more or less the other way round, with Starsky the relaxed cool one, while Hutch was more uptight and straight-laced. I think Stiller and Wilson could have played that, but for some reason didn't. I'm not sure whether they were playing safe with their images or what, but I couldn't get passed that, making the whole film seem just off kilter for me. But I have only seen it once, at the cinema when it came out, so I may be being unfair and it just caught me in the wrong mood.

grambax
Lieutenant

#23 Post by grambax »

AmandaByNight wrote: I've always been moved by Paul Michael Glaser's story. What a tragedy. I'm glad to hear his son is doing well. I actually think of PMG and his family often, although I can't say I'm a super huge fan. It's just hard to not be moved by his story.

PMG did end up directing a few things. I'm pretty sure I've seen his name on quite a few credits.

A few years ago my friend actually met David Soul... well, they had a conversation over the phone at my old job (I worked for an entertainment labor union) and he told me DS was a really hilarious and a fun guy to talk to. I was jealous!
Yes, PMG's was a heartbreaking story.

He did seem more interested in directing than acting, which I thought a bit of a shame, as I felt he was better at the latter to be frank, or at least stood out more. His Starsky really is a star performance, and I can't watch it without wondering why he wasn't used in more things.

He directed THe Running Man, but I think the problems with his family deflected his attention from his career a bit; at least that's what I've always assumed. He has directed a few other things, mostly the odd TV episode (a Criminal Minds fairly recently, and a few Las Vegas episodes, including a Tom Selleck one), but nothing that really followed up what was, if I remember, a hit film. Hopefully its kept him busy and fulfilled though.

He also directed then President Regan in a PSA spot on AIDS awareness, when the latter finally addressed the AIDS crisis.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

grambax wrote:
AmandaByNight wrote: I've always been moved by Paul Michael Glaser's story. What a tragedy. I'm glad to hear his son is doing well. I actually think of PMG and his family often, although I can't say I'm a super huge fan. It's just hard to not be moved by his story.

Yes, PMG's was a heartbreaking story.

He did seem more interested in directing than acting, which I thought a bit of a shame, as I felt he was better at the latter to be frank, or at least stood out more. His Starsky really is a star performance, and I can't watch it without wondering why he wasn't used in more things.

He directed THe Running Man, but I think the problems with his family deflected his attention from his career a bit; at least that's what I've always assumed. He has directed a few other things, mostly the odd TV episode (a Criminal Minds fairly recently, and a few Las Vegas episodes, including a Tom Selleck one), but nothing that really followed up what was, if I remember, a hit film. Hopefully its kept him busy and fulfilled though.

He also directed then President Regan in a PSA spot on AIDS awareness, when the latter finally addressed the AIDS crisis.
I keep forgetting he did the Running Man! I haven't seen that movie, and I can't believe it!

grambax
Lieutenant

#25 Post by grambax »

AmandaByNight wrote:

I keep forgetting he did the Running Man! I haven't seen that movie, and I can't believe it!
It isn't a great film, but its perfectly servicable. Aparently PMG was a late replacement for the original director who left/was fired after some sort of disagreement.

I always felt PMG tried to be just a little too creative in the S&H episodes he directed, filming from behind different objects etc, but its been a long time since I saw those episodes so I may be being unfair, and anyway, too much creativity is understandable from a young, new, enthusiastic director. His later stuff seemed to settle down just fine, so he had two careers going; I just can't understand why neither took off more. That's why I keep thinking that his family life perhaps, understandably, became his bigger priority.

Magnum T.
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by Magnum T. »

Last night I watched the final episode of the series.
It's a little strange, because even if I used to watch it as a child, I didn't remember much, so this was like my first time into S&H universe.
It's a little sad when you reach the end.
Surely you can watch it all over again, but the surprise isn't there anymore.
Next time I'll go through the entire series I'll use the Italian audiotrack :wink:
"Mr. Masters' Ferrari"

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

The last episode goes through some lengths, I find. I think it is a shame that they didn't solve one last case together for the last episode. That would have been a better finale.

Yes, PMG's story is a really sad one, but amazing at the same time. He and his son seem to have a gene that makes them immune to AIDS. This is also a reason why he directs so much of his time, money and effort into AIDS research. Amazing man, amazing story, amazing life.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#28 Post by Styles Bitchley »

I remember one of my babysitters watching S&H when I was a kid, but I don't think I've ever watched a full episode...never seen the spoof movie either. What would you experts recommend for a newbie? Watch from the first show or catch a few classic episodes to really get the feel for where it peaks?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Visiting Stewardess
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Visiting Stewardess »

Watch a few episodes of the first season to get the "feel" of the show.
The pilot is not one of my favourites, although it is ok. My alltime favourite is the 4th episode "The Fix", where some gangster makes Hutch a heroin addict to get to his girlfriend (formerly a hooker in his "stable"). This portraits really nicely the friendship between Starsky & Hutch and also their relationship to Huggy Bear and their Boss Dobey. (Dobey to Huggy on the phone: "I really appreciate what you are doing for my boys.")
I just love that sentence....

The spoof film is really only for the open minded die-hard fans. I was in a French S&H forum once and they all slated the film. Noone there saw the tongue-in-cheek that it was supposed to be. I think it was dead funny and it was quite clear that Ben Stiller had watched all 4 seasons of the series.
But I still found it a bit irritating that Hutch was the naive one and Starsky the cool know-all, as this was quite clearly mostly the other way round in the series.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#30 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Visiting Stewardess wrote:Watch a few episodes of the first season to get the "feel" of the show.
The pilot is not one of my favourites, although it is ok. My alltime favourite is the 4th episode "The Fix", where some gangster makes Hutch a heroin addict to get to his girlfriend (formerly a hooker in his "stable"). This portraits really nicely the friendship between Starsky & Hutch and also their relationship to Huggy Bear and their Boss Dobey. (Dobey to Huggy on the phone: "I really appreciate what you are doing for my boys.")
I just love that sentence....

The spoof film is really only for the open minded die-hard fans. I was in a French S&H forum once and they all slated the film. Noone there saw the tongue-in-cheek that it was supposed to be. I think it was dead funny and it was quite clear that Ben Stiller had watched all 4 seasons of the series.
But I still found it a bit irritating that Hutch was the naive one and Starsky the cool know-all, as this was quite clearly mostly the other way round in the series.
I'll get around to watching this show sooner rather than later. The one thing I do remember is the cool car. I had a die cast version when I was a kid and I loved it.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.