Raven

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

emenius
Commander

Re: Raven

#16 Post by emenius »

308GUY wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:43 am Found at least season 1 and 2 on "Plex" streaming network...available through Roku tv or box. :geek:
Thanks for the info 308GUY.

Ed

jno
Captain

#17 Post by jno »

Oh my word, I might just go and order this now. :lol:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by 308GUY »

I'm about 5 episodes in, and so far, I'm really liking it.

Jeffery Meek is very good in the part. Lee Majors makes it all work....wonderful character he plays so well.

The martial arts segments are not done "over the top" for the most part in my opinion....quite believable in most instances.

Story line is ongoing and interwoven into all the episodes I've seen thus far, but like so many other series we've seen, sub-plots also present.

Will have to see what develops as the series does, but as I said, so far I'm liking it! :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

emenius
Commander

#19 Post by emenius »

jno wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:28 am Oh my word, I might just go and order this now. :lol:
I checked out the DVD, it's on Amazon for $52 for a 4 dvd set! That's too much.

Ed

emenius
Commander

#20 Post by emenius »

308GUY wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:52 pm I'm about 5 episodes in, and so far, I'm really liking it.

Jeffery Meek is very good in the part. Lee Majors makes it all work....wonderful character he plays so well.

The martial arts segments are not done "over the top" for the most part in my opinion....quite believable in most instances.

Story line is ongoing and interwoven into all the episodes I've seen thus far, but like so many other series we've seen, sub-plots also present.

Will have to see what develops as the series does, but as I said, so far I'm liking it! :geek:
Glad you liked it. Jeffrey Meek looked good in the martial segmets.

Ed

jno
Captain

#21 Post by jno »

I've ordered the set, I must be nuts.

jno
Captain

#22 Post by jno »

I just watched the first one 'The Return of the Black Dragon' - if you can manage to get past arguably the cheesiest 90s opening titles ever made, this was actually quite good fun and pretty enjoyable.

There is only one major flaw in the slaw in this episode - when Ski protects the girl he ends up shooting one of the Black Dragons. When Raven arrives, he's informed the Dragons said "we have 2 hours" (or something like that). You'd think with Ski having wasted 1 dragon, they'd at least have retaliated and why are the Dragons engaging in off-screen dialog? This bit was nonsense.

Apart from those 2 things, this first episode was very enjoyable and has some decent action and likeable characters. It's the 90s cheese overload that lets down. And just wait till you see Raven's 90s cellphone, he needs ninja qualities just to pick it up.

Nevertheless, will I be watching more? Hell yes!

emenius
Commander

#23 Post by emenius »

jno wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:55 am I just watched the first one 'The Return of the Black Dragon' - if you can manage to get past arguably the cheesiest 90s opening titles ever made, this was actually quite good fun and pretty enjoyable.

There is only one major flaw in the slaw in this episode - when Ski protects the girl he ends up shooting one of the Black Dragons. When Raven arrives, he's informed the Dragons said "we have 2 hours" (or something like that). You'd think with Ski having wasted 1 dragon, they'd at least have retaliated and why are the Dragons engaging in off-screen dialog? This bit was nonsense.

Apart from those 2 things, this first episode was very enjoyable and has some decent action and likeable characters. It's the 90s cheese overload that lets down. And just wait till you see Raven's 90s cellphone, he needs ninja qualities just to pick it up.

I have to re-watch the rest of season 1 but I seem to feel it got better as the season progresses but I could be wrong.

Ed

jno
Captain

#24 Post by jno »

emenius wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:59 am
jno wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:55 am I just watched the first one 'The Return of the Black Dragon' - if you can manage to get past arguably the cheesiest 90s opening titles ever made, this was actually quite good fun and pretty enjoyable.

I have to re-watch the rest of season 1 but I seem to feel it got better as the season progresses but I could be wrong.

Ed
Only seen episode 1, I thought it was great*.

*once I'd wiped the excess 90s cheese off.

jno
Captain

#25 Post by jno »

Approaching the end of season 2 and have to confess, I like 'Raven'.

For me the quality dips at the start of season 2 but it gets better by the 5th or 6th episode. Jeffrey Meek was born to play Jonathon Raven..

Incidentally, prior to this, Jeffrey Meek was in a shortlived show called 'The Exile' which could also be a precursor to 'Raven' - he plays an agent character called Jonathon(!) based in Paris. This isn't a martial arts fest though and sadly it's not out on DVD but there are a few episodes out there if you know where to look. If you like 'Raven', guaranteed you'll like 'The Exile'.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by 308GUY »

Just about to the end of the series, and actually liking it better as it progresses.

Character development is still ongoing, though the roles are fairly well established by the end of the first season. Little "quirks" and nuances get introduced on occasion, that just help make this world more believable, at least for me.

Don't think the series wouldv'e worked at all without Lee Majors, or at least somebody as diverisfied as he seems to be. Given the performances he displays in this series, held up against some of the others he's done, he really is a very good actor, in my opinion. Jeffrey Meek is pretty good too. None of the marial arts displays are so over the top that they come off as "otherworldly" or just plain impossible, but that's more the way they are filmed as opposed to anyobody's individual skill set.

Still trying to understand why it didn't catch on bigger when it was first aired, and why it ended up being cancelled. Pretty well done show, again, in my humble opinion.....of course...I'm fairly easy to please!LOL

:geek: :lol:

ALOHA! :magnum:

jno
Captain

#27 Post by jno »

'Flori and Dori' was a poor one to go out on I thought, no spoilers on here of course. You're right about the mix of Majors & Meek. I listened to an interview with Jeffrey Meek the other day and he said 'Raven' became too homogenized i.e. too similar each week. He says explicitly they wanted more of a Magnum P.I. character than a Bruce Lee character, which I think is a fair assessment.

If you watch them all, there is a definite structure to each episode where there's a girlfriend of the week, a small punch-up at the start but as the two seasons progress, there is not so much reference to Black Dragons and his missing son anymore. I think Raven had more potential than it was given if I'm honest. The premise of that character is also similar to that of 'The Master' tv series with Lee Van Cleef.

In the same interview Meek also mentions that 'The Exile' is probably the better show as it is not so homogenized. I have about 6(or so?) episodes of 'The Exile' and I think Jeffrey Meek is right in his assessment of this show. 'The Exile' is very much like 'the early adventures of Jonathon Raven' and if you're enjoying Raven I think you'll like The Exile too.

One thing you can't fault though, Jeffrey Meek is a fine actor.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by 308GUY »

jno wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:09 am 'Flori and Dori' was a poor one to go out on I thought, no spoilers on here of course. You're right about the mix of Majors & Meek. I listened to an interview with Jeffrey Meek the other day and he said 'Raven' became too homogenized i.e. too similar each week. He says explicitly they wanted more of a Magnum P.I. character than a Bruce Lee character, which I think is a fair assessment.

If you watch them all, there is a definite structure to each episode where there's a girlfriend of the week, a small punch-up at the start but as the two seasons progress, there is not so much reference to Black Dragons and his missing son anymore. I think Raven had more potential than it was given if I'm honest. The premise of that character is also similar to that of 'The Master' tv series with Lee Van Cleef.

In the same interview Meek also mentions that 'The Exile' is probably the better show as it is not so homogenized. I have about 6(or so?) episodes of 'The Exile' and I think Jeffrey Meek is right in his assessment of this show. 'The Exile' is very much like 'the early adventures of Jonathon Raven' and if you're enjoying Raven I think you'll like The Exile too.

One thing you can't fault though, Jeffrey Meek is a fine actor.
Flori and Dori was one the least enjoyable eps for me....but there are 13 eps listed for season two, I think I still have 2 or 3 to finish the series.

Your assessment sounds pretty "right on" from where I'm looking, and I will be looking up "The Exile" do you know if it's available to stream anywhere? I'm catching Raven on Crackle...don't see it listed anywhere else. Doing Burn Notice on Hulu currently, and liking it pretty good too. I also agree that Jeffrey Meek is very good at his craft.

Thanks for the tip.

ALOHA :magnum:

jno
Captain

#29 Post by jno »

The Exile is not available to stream anywhere as far as I know. You have a PM though about where to find some episodes.

:wink:

emenius
Commander

#30 Post by emenius »

You guys are right. It was better when they had a purpose to find his son and deal with the Black Dragons. I have to look for The Exile. Never heard of it. Thanks for that.