Raven

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

Raven

#1 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

About 20 years ago, there was another action show based out of Hawaii called "Raven." It starred Jeffrey Meek as Jonathan Raven, a former member of the Black Dragons and Special Forces. He moves to Hawaii to get away from the Black Dragons and to find his son. In addition to helping others, he fends off members of the Black Dragons sent to kill him. Lee Majors co-stars as a local P.I. friend who helps him.
Eventhough it only lasted one season, I loved this series. A lot of action (Raven is a ninja).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103518

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZaCAsuKJD0

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

Never heard of it, but it looks pretty cool! I can watch pretty much anything with Lee Majors in it. He looks good with a scruffy beard and a Hawaiian shirt!

Lots of familiar Oahu-based guest stars - Clyde Kusatsu, Branscombe Richmond, Danny Kamekona, John Fujioka, Jack Hogan, Robert Apisa. Larry Manetti even appeared in an episode.

I wonder if they ever used the estate? ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#3 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

I wouldn't be surprised if they did use the estate. It aired a few years after Magnum ended.

I haven't watched an episode since it's first-run, but if you look at the youtube related videos to the intro video I posted, a lot of them have episode titles and are broken up into "part 1 of 5", "part 1 of 7", etc. :wink:

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#4 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Never heard of it, but I'm intrigued!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

emenius
Commander

Re:

#5 Post by emenius »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:24 am Never heard of it, but I'm intrigued!
I remember the show. It ran in the 90's for two season I think. The martial arts on it was good, plus Lee Majors was funny as Ski.

Ed

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Raven

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

I never heard of the show before. I watched the pilot last night on YouTube. Nice to see something "new" from that era. Several familiar actors from Magnum PI. TV legend Lee Majors provides the comedy relief. Two complete seasons seem to be available on YouTube.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

emenius
Commander

#7 Post by emenius »

terryfromkerry wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:48 am I never heard of the show before. I watched the pilot last night on YouTube. Nice to see something "new" from that era. Several familiar actors from Magnum PI. TV legend Lee Majors provides the comedy relief. Two complete seasons seem to be available on YouTube.
What were your thoughts on the show?

Ed

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi Ed, the lead actor was somewhat wooden I felt but I expect he grows into the role as the series progresses. Good action sequences with real stunt work as opposed to the cgi stuff we get now. I did feel Lee Majors role could have been written with some subtlety. The scene where he pants like a dog on seeing a young woman was just cheap and sleazy. Given the character's age and military background it's so inappropriate even for its time. I will however revisit the series again soon. Am interested to see the episode with Larry Manetti. :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

emenius
Commander

#9 Post by emenius »

terryfromkerry wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:32 am Hi Ed, the lead actor was somewhat wooden I felt but I expect he grows into the role as the series progresses. Good action sequences with real stunt work as opposed to the cgi stuff we get now. I did feel Lee Majors role could have been written with some subtlety. The scene where he pants like a dog on seeing a young woman was just cheap and sleazy. Given the character's age and military background it's so inappropriate even for its time. I will however revisit the series again soon. Am interested to see the episode with Larry Manetti. :)
I have to re-watch it, I haven't seen it in years. The action sequences stick out in my mind and I thought the chemistry between the leads was good. Jeffrey Meek looked good, I believe he is a Taekwondo practitioner.

Ed

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by terryfromkerry »

I was intending to watch the Larry Manetti episode tonight Ed but the first season seems to have been removed from you tube. The second is now only available in French. :|

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#11 Post by Pahonu »

I remember watching this when it debuted, not long after MPI ended. I also thought the lead was a bit wooden but enjoyed Lee Majors as the comedic sidekick. I believe I lost interest in the first season and that’s about all I remember. I didn’t even know it returned for a second season.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by terryfromkerry »

Season 1 had 7 episodes only. Season 2 only 12. Reading information on IMDB it seems Raven was cancelled in favour of Walker Texas Ranger.

emenius
Commander

#13 Post by emenius »

terryfromkerry wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:04 am Season 1 had 7 episodes only. Season 2 only 12. Reading information on IMDB it seems Raven was cancelled in favour of Walker Texas Ranger.
That's interesting, I did not know that.

Ed

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by 308GUY »

Found at least season 1 and 2 on "Plex" streaming network...available through Roku tv or box. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by terryfromkerry »

Cheers 308GUY. Good to know.