Riptide

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

Riptide

#1 Post by AmandaByNight »

I wonder if there are any Riptide fans here. The show was obviously intended to cash in on the popularity of Ma?num, only this time we have TWO gorgeous private eyes.

I adore the show. It's on DVD and I've been revisiting it. It's obviously not as good (or as profound for sure) as Magnum, but it's really, really fun and the chemistry between the three leads (two hot guys, and one nerd named Boz -- my biggest crush was with Boz!). It's a good pick me up show...

I miss the 80s. Great cop shows with consistent characters and chemistry. Good stuff!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#2 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Hey Amanda,

You can find the Riptide thread here.

Pretty cool show from what I remember...but I haven't seen it since its first run. Wouldn't mind a revisit.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by AmandaByNight »

Whoops! I thought I checked for a previous post! Thank you so much for linking me to it!

It was a great show! I still love it all these years later... Not as much as another show called Magnum, but you get my drift!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

Just heard the theme song for Riptide for the first time in forever. I didn't recognize it at all; totally wiped it out of my memory. I quite like it, especially the great Beach Boys-esque bridge. It also has a hint of Jimmy Buffet "gulf and western" to it. Another fine Post/Carpenter piece of music!

One thing that struck me when listening/watching the intro - it's long, like 1:40 seconds long. Intro's today are like :30 seconds. Ah, the good old days!

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Riptide.html
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by AmandaByNight »

J.J. Walters wrote:Just heard the theme song for Riptide for the first time in forever. I didn't recognize it at all; totally wiped it out of my memory. I quite like it, especially the great Beach Boys-esque bridge. It also has a hint of Jimmy Buffet "gulf and western" to it. Another fine Post/Carpenter piece of music!

One thing that struck me when listening/watching the intro - it's long, like 1:40 seconds long. Intro's today are like :30 seconds. Ah, the good old days!

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Riptide.html
When I first got the DVDs I remember thinking that the opening was indeed a bit long, but awesome of course! I love it, it's so upbeat and gets you in the mood for the next hour. I love Riptide! :)

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Riptide

#6 Post by Pahonu »

Resurrecting a long ago thread here because Decades Channel is having a binge of the series next weekend. I didn’t realize that Hardcastle and McCormick was playing this weekend and missed the better first season episodes yesterday. It’s still playing for anyone wanting to view.

I wrote about it elsewhere on the forum that I was lucky enough to go aboard the Riptide yacht when it tied up at the visitor dock in my marina several years ago, for a wood boat cruising event. I met the owner who invited me aboard. It was slipped in Wilmington at the time but is now up in Puget Sound. The boat is an ELCO 43 if I recall correctly, and he had restored it beautifully after years of neglect following the series. The show was set in King Harbor in Redondo Beach where he bought it. I’ve been there many times over the years. After seeing the boat, I bought the DVD’s and enjoyed it after many years and identified many locations, including here in Long Beach where I live.