#616 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

KENJI wrote:
Thanks RG and welcome back!
Oops, I just saw this... thanks so much, Kenji! :D

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

#617 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

So the finale was last night. I thought it was rushed and sloppy. Did anybody else watch?

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#618 Post by Steve »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:So the finale was last night. I thought it was rushed and sloppy. Did anybody else watch?
I did watch and think it ill go down as one of the biggest letdowns in series finals. I did hear that it was shot before Alex decided he wasn't coming back so it as going to be just this seasons final, thus Catherine showing up at the very end. The final goodbyes from the teams was tearjerking and was not scripted so when Grover breaks down, that was really him.....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#619 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I thought they might have filmed two versions of the scene on the plane. One with Cath and one without in case the show was renewed and Alex decided to return. The whole thing was disappointing and reminded me a lot of the end of JAG that came at the last minute and had to be re-written and re-edited quickly. Plus, there was one huge continuity error. Wo Fat's widow said John McGarrett and Wo Fat never met in person, but they did in the video that was filmed in the governor's office in ep 2.01.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#620 Post by Steve »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I thought they might have filmed two versions of the scene on the plane. One with Cath and one without in case the show was renewed and Alex decided to return. The whole thing was disappointing and reminded me a lot of the end of JAG that came at the last minute and had to be re-written and re-edited quickly. Plus, there was one huge continuity error. Wo Fat's widow said John McGarrett and Wo Fat never met in person, but they did in the video that was filmed in the governor's office in ep 2.01.
Please forgive me but in the flashback, on the phone Wo Fat tells John McGarrett that he is the son of Doris...I know that info was always teased but had it come out before? So that entire ark with mystique, her appearing and disappearing, dying and not dying, the envelope with the code was all about the cash stuffed into her fake tomb and the widow felt she was entitled to her inheritance???? Uugh....

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#621 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Wo Fat wasn't really Doris' son, but she had sort of adopted him for a while. If I remember right, she had killed his mother and felt some guilt over it. The way the ending was written made Doris out to be more of a mercenary than anything else. She was only in the whole thing for money instead of some sort of patriotic duty. Me thinks the whole story was hastily written.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#622 Post by Steve »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:Wo Fat wasn't really Doris' son, but she had sort of adopted him for a while. If I remember right, she had killed his mother and felt some guilt over it. The way the ending was written made Doris out to be more of a mercenary than anything else. She was only in the whole thing for money instead of some sort of patriotic duty. Me thinks the whole story was hastily written.

Thank you for clearing that up for me....

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#623 Post by KENJI »

Here is an interesting article on Dennis Chun that a few of you might like..........

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/ ... ii-five-0/

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#624 Post by Laohu »

That is a interesting article Kenji . I hope we get to see Dennis in season 3 of Magnum PI and it would be great if it was episode 17 .

Vrinda
Ensign

#625 Post by Vrinda »

golfmobile wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:25 pm Conch,

EXACTLY what I was thinking! (and then, OMG, there's another one?)

But, V V, I confess, I don't miss him . . . .

I do think, however, that most of us here understand when someone exaggerates to make a point.

golf
It's been years since I posted here and I only came back because I got an alert about a private message, and I didn't even remember what I posted here. I had to reread my last post.

I don't know who Kimo is, in terms of someone who used to be on this board, but I made my statements because there was no point being made by the person to whom I was responding, and the exaggerating was meaningless. The new Steve and Danno spoke more to one another in one scene than the original Steve and Danno did in 11 seasons, including offscreen? Where does that make sense? If you saw the original show, you know they spoke to one another, more frequently than in one scene, and even though we don't know how much they spoke to one another offscreen, they had to have spoken to each other from time to time. The previous poster was not making any point that made sense.

Vrinda
Ensign

#626 Post by Vrinda »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 4:19 am
the current lead is more a MTV cop with his 3 day beard, the producers hiring a Ken Doll instead of an actor.
I beg to differ. People said the same thing about Don Johnson in the 80s and he was the only regular on Miami Vice with a shred of talent.
There are things to complain about the reboot, but the acting is not one of them. Alex O'Loughlin's acting is the best thing about the show. The acting on the original was atrocious. Frankly, today's TV actors just blow actors from the 60s/70s TV era away and I say that as someone who likes a lot of shows from that time and disagrees with tons of PC crap currently coming out of Hollywood. Lack of acting talent is not what's wrong with modern TV. To me, the new Five-0 is the closest thing to 1980s style TV that's currently running.
The acting on the original was anything but atrocious. Jack Lord was miles above Alex O'Loughlin in acting. He had more of a screen presence and played the role the way it should be played. Alex O'Loughlin played the role like an action hero, which isn't acting. He was more grave than Jack was. Scott Caan was awful, overacting all the time, and only Daniel Dae Kim and the actors who played supporting roles like Grover and Jerry acted well.

Kam Fong, Zulu, and the other Hawaiian actors were not Hollywood actors and had little training and that made them more natural. James MacArthur said that he intentionally acted in a more straight fashion to offset Jack Lord, who was more emotional.

Today's TV actors don't act at all, and I have seen enough modern shows to see it. They mumble, their voices get droned out by the loud background music, and their delivery is fake and often exaggerated.