Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

#511 Post by Styles Bitchley »

ThomasMagnum wrote: What is interesting is that where I live 56E478 is also taken and surprise surprise..its a 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS! :magnum:
That's cool!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#512 Post by KENJI »

I watched this week's episode where Kono is lost at sea and it reminded me a lot of MPI's version....Home From the Sea.
Kono and her mother, Thomas and his dad.....struggling to stay alive out in the Pacific and never giving up. They both have images of their parents during their struggles and even yell out to them. Chin was uneasy when Kono was out there, while Rick had an uneasy feeling when Thomas was out there that something was wrong. Chin and the crew sent out a search party and so did Higgins, T.C. and Rick for Thomas.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#513 Post by Steve »

KENJI wrote:I watched this week's episode where Kono is lost at sea and it reminded me a lot of MPI's version....Home From the Sea.
Kono and her mother, Thomas and his dad.....struggling to stay alive out in the Pacific and never giving up. They both have images of their parents during their struggles and even yell out to them. Chin was uneasy when Kono was out there, while Rick had an uneasy feeling when Thomas was out there that something was wrong. Chin and the crew sent out a search party and so did Higgins, T.C. and Rick for Thomas.

I was thinking the exact same thing when watching the episode. Funny how they didn't think the entire episode could be about her plight but had to mix in the story about the Meth dealer and son (Wasn't Kono's mother gorgeous!)

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#514 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:
KENJI wrote:I watched this week's episode where Kono is lost at sea and it reminded me a lot of MPI's version....Home From the Sea.

I was thinking the exact same thing when watching the episode. Funny how they didn't think the entire episode could be about her plight but had to mix in the story about the Meth dealer and son (Wasn't Kono's mother gorgeous!)
I'm sure they thought of doing a full episode on Kono, BUT that would've been TOO CLOSE to the MPI episode and they didn't want anyone to catch on :wink:......BUSTED! I wonder if they were stumped for a script and remembered Home From the Sea and thought.....I know, we will change a few names, tweak the story a bit and no one will know notice.
I would've preferred a whole episode on Kono's fight with the sea. I felt they rushed a few things to get both storylines in. I laughed when the first storm came in as the transition from good weather to bad was rushed. I know they are on the stopwatch with filming, but just a few more minutes would've helped sell it. It was the same when the storm broke and the choppers were deployed. At that point, I was hoping they weren't going to have Super Steve and Kamekona go up in the Shrimp Chopper during the storm -thank goodness that didn't happen- I think we all would've groaned with that one. Since they were so close to MPI episode..... I would've liked Chin to have spotted her close to land and tried to rescue her, but she declined and Chin understands why, letting her finish (just like Thomas) or Chin spots her just as she hits land and they have a moment. I found the story had a hint of Eddie Aikau's in there too which was a good fit. I would've liked more people searching for her including the local who blessed the outrigger. I wonder what HFO/MPI storyline is up next..........hmmmm...I wonder if Steve has a half brother that looks like him named Elmo - stay tuned! :roll:

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#515 Post by Steve »

Too funny, Kenji......I wonder what ever happened to the Kamekona Shrimp Chopper?..I tell you, Friday nights with Hawaii Five-0 and the Blue Bloods has become a good two hours of TV for me.........

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#516 Post by 308GUY »

Steve wrote:Too funny, Kenji......I wonder what ever happened to the Kamekona Shrimp Chopper?..I tell you, Friday nights with Hawaii Five-0 and the Blue Bloods has become a good two hours of TV for me.........

Agreed. The wife and I are there every Friday night too.

I remarked to my wife while H50 was on, "I wonder if she'll have a shark encounter?" As you know, didn't happen.

Kono's mother was a knockout for sure, as noted earlier by Steve. Really liked the lessons Kono was taught at a young age by her mother, and the fruit bait for catching fresh fish was killer!

I could have done without the side plot as well, but wasn't that a fairly common practice with MPI too? :higgins:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#517 Post by KENJI »

Steve wrote:Too funny, Kenji......I wonder what ever happened to the Kamekona Shrimp Chopper?..I tell you, Friday nights with Hawaii Five-0 and the Blue Bloods has become a good two hours of TV for me.........
I would ground the Shrimp Chopper for good because that story is WAY too far fetched!!!! How does a guy with one shrimp truck afford a multi million dollar chopper? The fuel and maintenance alone would've buried him!
I wish when the show started they would've made Kamekona a millionaire entrepreneur, who had shrimp and shave ice franchises everywhere, then the chopper purchase would've made sense. That would've been a great way to get Pahonu on the show too.....the wealthy Kamekona owns it (assuming the Nesbitts were into it). It doesn't matter anyway as the storyline didn't go that way. I'm still hoping that one day, the Nesbitt's will allow filming there again.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#518 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I initially liked the new show but I'm becoming more disappointed as the years go by. I have to agree with a previous post on this thread...O'laughlin is miscast and dresses like a slob. The only character I really like is Chin Ho who is underused. The computer and security cams solve all the crimes. There is no true detective work. Constantly adding characters like Catherine and Grover detract from the chemistry of the four leads and the whole shrimp truck thing is ridiculous. I could do without Danno's anti-2nd amendment rants too.

The only thing that keeps me watching is the scenery and guest stars.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#519 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I initially liked the new show but I'm becoming more disappointed as the years go by. I have to agree with a previous post on this thread...O'laughlin is miscast and dresses like a slob. The only character I really like is Chin Ho who is underused. The computer and security cams solve all the crimes. There is no true detective work. Constantly adding characters like Catherine and Grover detract from the chemistry of the four leads and the whole shrimp truck thing is ridiculous. I could do without Danno's anti-2nd amendment rants too.
The only thing that keeps me watching is the scenery and guest stars.
Hi Mrs. Higgins,
When you say "the computer and security cams solve all the crimes", I think you put your finger on the problem. Instead of creative writing and clever twists, lazy writers substitute pages of tech jargon or shiny new tech toys. It's a nice angle for the producers too, instead of say, Magnum, ferreting out info from some Skel in a side street off Hotel Street which costs money to film, the modern Magnum would go online, sacrificing mood and atmosphere.
Many old time Hollywood writers blame this on all the profitable Star Trek tv sequels which taught Hollywood how to save bucks at the expense of superior story telling, starting with the spewing of reams of tech jargon to advance the story in lieu of human interaction where you have to pay actors/crew/production costs etc.
To save money, the new Star Treks were set bound(the same 3 sets over and over, didn't the crew ever get to see sunlight?) to the nth degree, a total contrast to the original series where even shots on the Paramount back lot let your imagination fill in the details. Even the cheesy but colorful sets used for some alien planet scenes were fun.
The sets on the new Trek series are dreary and lacked the in your face colors of the original Star Trek. Though admittedly the original set design in 1966 was partly to help NBC's parent company RCA sell more color tv's, which were still new at that time.
At least the Hawaii 5-0 producers can't screw up the Hawaiian scenery. But I digress.
Mrs. Higgins, better keep your eye out for Agatha, shes warm for Higgy's form,
randy and ready to pitch woo.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#520 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mrs. Higgins, better keep your eye out for Agatha, shes warm for Higgy's form,
randy and ready to pitch woo.
Dobie, you're a hoot...and a Jersey guy to boot! (Hey, I rhymed)
Agatha has nothing on me. FYI: I'll be posting a super awesome Higgy-Baby tribute video in a week or so. I've got a few more seasons to go through. :wink:

As far as Five-0 goes, I watched the afternoon reruns of the original series about the same time MPI aired in prime time. My dad is a WWII vet and can't stand the new show. He was briefly stationed on Oahu on his way to Saipan. Says he doesn't recognize it anymore and it's too built up. I recently started showing him the Magnum DVDs and he really enjoys them.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#521 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

Episode 10. Larry Manetti guest starring.
Cool to see the ring again.
:o

I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#522 Post by ConchRepublican »

That's making me question the orientation of the ring, I always thought it should be wore top of the cross pointing towards the wrist.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#523 Post by golfmobile »

Maybe he's making some kind of "statement." Which way was it pointed when the ring was worn in the "Las Vegas" episodes? Maybe when he's with the other team members, or representing the team, it's worn as you say. But in other circumstances, it is purposefully turned the other way to indicate it's not the "team" ring then but still important enough to be worn? No idea. Isn't someone here in email contact with Manetti? Ask him.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#524 Post by golfmobile »

Maybe he's making some kind of "statement." Which way was it pointed when the ring was worn in the "Las Vegas" episodes? Maybe when he's with the other team members, or representing the team, it's worn as you say. But in other circumstances, it is purposefully turned the other way to indicate it's not the "team" ring then but still important enough to be worn? No idea. Isn't someone here in email contact with Manetti? Ask him.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#525 Post by ConchRepublican »

golfmobile wrote:Maybe he's making some kind of "statement." Which way was it pointed when the ring was worn in the "Las Vegas" episodes? Maybe when he's with the other team members, or representing the team, it's worn as you say. But in other circumstances, it is purposefully turned the other way to indicate it's not the "team" ring then but still important enough to be worn? No idea. Isn't someone here in email contact with Manetti? Ask him.

golf
Larry - "Jeez you guys! The crap you notice with these computer picture thingies. OK, I was in my dressing room when it was time for my scene. Wearing the ring wasn't part of the script, right? but I wanted to do it so I brought it with me. When they called for me I guess forgot it on my dressing table. When I got to the set I felt for it with my fingers, you how you do when you wear a ring? I didn't feel it so I sent a runner to my dressing room to get it. I didn't want to hold things up so I just put it on and went on with the scene. Does that answer the question?" :D

(Note, this is NOT Mr. Manetti's response, just my impression of a response in Rick "Orville" Wright's voice.)
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04