Hawaii Five-0 (2010)

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#241 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Miss Q wrote:This just in from an article about the writer of H50...

how ironic, don't ya think....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Lenkov
Hawaii Five-0 (CBS)

Winter lasted eight long months in the small town outside Montreal where the TV-obsessed Lenkov spent his youth. But the Emmy-nominated writer would still make the trek home from school at lunch just to watch The Flintstones — and then, after school, catch a marathon of episodes of his favorite dramas Magnum, P.I. and Hawaii Five-0. In fact, it was the episode in which Magnum confronted and killed the person who’d held him as a POW that inspired Lenkov to start writing.

“I’d never seen an episode like that,” says Lenkov, 45. “I realized it was possible to take someone on an emotional journey in a short period of time.”
That's awesome.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#242 Post by Steve »

Interesting how this weeks episode was about a male victim that stayed on a rich man's estate in the guest house..............

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#243 Post by KENJI »

I caught that to Steve!
AND T.M. liked volleyball too!!!
When they first made this comment, I thought it would've been great if they ended up at the Anderson address, but then they mentioned the house was located in Kahala and that was the end of that pipe dream!
Eve has been fixing the roof at her place and even changing the colour of it, so you never know!

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#244 Post by Miss Q »

I just rewatched this episode as well.... I HAS to be a nod to MPI.

Looks like the mansion on the island have stepped it up a bit, a guest house pool and a steam shower... $$$$$
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#245 Post by Steve »

Was anyone else that watched last nights episode (11-21-11) waiting for someone to shout "outta sight!"...................

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#246 Post by KENJI »

Hi Steve,

It reminded me a bit of the Magnum episode All for One, where the gang goes back to Vietnam to save a buddy.... It's a real stretch, but I did like parts of it. The part about the old helicopter that hasn't flown since the war rings a bell too!!I loved they killed off the lady who double crossed Steve, Wo Fat gets away to live another day is good and Lisa running over to hug Steve shows they are almost there as a couple. My prediction is they will be kissing... on the Christmas episode. I could also see Wo Fat killing off Lisa down the road when Steve/Lisa are totally in love, similar to the Magnum/Michelle/Qwan Ki scenario, time will tell. Steve should've also looked a lot more beaten up after all those rounds he took. Shelborne (no idea on the spelling) is the real mystery that gets more interesting by the episode!!!!!

JT
Captain

#247 Post by JT »

Totally agree with you Kenji.
Although I don't think Steve can wait until Christmas...
Well, Steve is a tough guy, he took on The Iceman Chuck Liddell a couple of episodes ago, on a moment’s notice.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#248 Post by Sam »

I too enjoy the show and happy to see that some of the old cast members are getting some parts.

I'm not a Buffett fan so I don't know if he's acted before,he did an ok job in this episode.

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#249 Post by Brian »

Yeah, Great episode Monday night, I've heard the writers are trying to get a episode written for Larry Manetti to be a part of. I would love it if they could have have him play Rick. :)
Sneakers Higgins!!

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#250 Post by KENJI »

Mr. Buffet looked really relaxed and comfortable in front of the camera. I'm thinking he had a few margaritas before shooting started and he was good to go!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#251 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Sam wrote:I too enjoy the show and happy to see that some of the old cast members are getting some parts.

I'm not a Buffett fan so I don't know if he's acted before,he did an ok job in this episode.
Yeah, I heard that some of the original cast members are having bit parts. However, the only one left alive is Al Harrington--who played Ben Kokua in the original series for about a season and a half. The part was originally written for James MacArthur--the original Danno. But, when he became too ill, and subsequently passed away, they gave it to Harrington. I also read that Kam Fong's (original Chin Ho) son has been given a few scenes...although I don't believe he was ever in an episode of the original "5-0".

Not a Buffett fan either, but he was okay in this episode. I also loved the idea of the old helicopter being fixed up to run again and the "gang" going off to rescue Steve! Awesome throwbacks to "Magnum" and other past cop/action shows! :) I also think that whatever serious girlfriends or fiances of main stars will eventually be killed off or leave for some reason. It's always been sort of an "unwritten" rule, that main stars of cop/action/mystery shows can't be married for very long...unless the show itself starts off that way or encompasses that aspect as part of the show's "magic"--such as "Hart to Hart" (1979-1984).

Love the whole WoFat and Steve saga! Very much like the original cat-n-mouse game from the original show...but updated just right! :wink: WoFat can't be killed either, if they're going to keep the storyline going. Even if he's caught, he can always escape. In the original show, the very last episode ("Woe to WoFat") has McGarrett finally capturing and jailing WoFat...but at the very end WoFat pulls out a hidden lock pick of some kind and eyes/winks at the camera...giving one the idea that he'll escape and a reunion of some kind would possibly take place. However, that never happened before the original WoFat and Jack Lord passed away.

This next upcoming episode looks "wild" and pretty action packed! Awesome! :D I just wish they'd have McGarrett drive Jack Lord's original Mercury some more. :lol:
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#252 Post by Sam »

Hi MaiTaiMan,

Your are correct.What I meant was seeing the local actors who appeared in various episodes in the first go around.
As you mentioned..Al Harrington has appeared in one episode of the new show..(64 in the original)..Dennis Chun has played Duke Lukela in seven episodes in the new show and is credited with 3 episodes in the original.

Two weeks ago Doug Mossman appeared and has 27 credits in the original..mostly as Frank Kamana.I can think of three other locals Jimmy Borges, Clyde Kusatsu and Elissa Dulce Hoopai who appeared in the original.

I've included two pics of Mossman,both from his first appearance in each show.

I don't know what happened with the car.I thought I read that the car was going to be featured in more episodes.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#253 Post by KENJI »

I wonder who Shelbourne could be???? They could introduce a whole new character to the fold OR have a real good twist and have this person be Steve's mother, who is suppose to be dead. She could be a special agent etc., who went into hiding....was deep undercover and couldn't risk her kid's lives if she surfaced. It would be like Michelle, who was suppose to be dead on Magnum, popping up out of nowhere on a boat in Hawaii.....etc,etc. You never know!

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#254 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

KENJI wrote:I wonder who Shelbourne could be???? They could introduce a whole new character to the fold OR have a real good twist and have this person be Steve's mother, who is suppose to be dead. She could be a special agent etc., who went into hiding....was deep undercover and couldn't risk her kid's lives if she surfaced. It would be like Michelle, who was suppose to be dead on Magnum, popping up out of nowhere on a boat in Hawaii.....etc,etc. You never know!
Or it could be Steve's dad. We never see him get shot in the pilot, we just see Steve's reaction when he hears the gunshot on the phone.
Maybe he staged his own death so he could go undercover. The possibilities are endless...

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#255 Post by Danno »

StarchedUndershirts wrote: Or it could be Steve's dad. We never see him get shot in the pilot, we just see Steve's reaction when he hears the gunshot on the phone.
Maybe he staged his own death so he could go undercover. The possibilities are endless...
That's what I have been thinking too.
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org