zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#181 Post by zebra3 »

how far to the east coast of USA?
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#182 Post by Danno »

zebra3 wrote:how far to the east coast of USA?
From Sydney to San Francisco is about 15 hours, then from SF to NYC is what... 5 hours or something? It's worth stopping off at SF or LA on the way...
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#183 Post by Steve »

My wife and 13 year old son went to Sydney and Cairns last October (dad had to stay home and work!). I dropped them off at O'Hare at 5:00pm for a 6:30pm flight on a Saturday where they flew from Chicago to LA to change airplanes. They left LA for Sydney around midnight Chicago time and I checked out their progress on Flight Aware around 2:00am when I went to bed. When I got up Sunday morning and checked again they were still only about half way across the Pacific! The entire flight from ORD to SYD took them over 20 hours with the plane change and I just kept thinking that I would have died being 6'2" crammed into a coach seat for that amount of time..............

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#184 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Steve wrote:My wife and 13 year old son went to Sydney and Cairns last October (dad had to stay home and work!). I dropped them off at O'Hare at 5:00pm for a 6:30pm flight on a Saturday where they flew from Chicago to LA to change airplanes. They left LA for Sydney around midnight Chicago time and I checked out their progress on Flight Aware around 2:00am when I went to bed. When I got up Sunday morning and checked again they were still only about half way across the Pacific! The entire flight from ORD to SYD took them over 20 hours with the plane change and I just kept thinking that I would have died being 6'2" crammed into a coach seat for that amount of time..............
You know that feeling when you take your skates off after a few hours of skating? It feels like that when you arrive, but all over your body! Sydney's a lovely city in a beautiful and exciting country.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Danno
Fleet Admiral

#185 Post by Danno »

I think Australia is only up to Episode 4 or 5... I've managed to catch up now to the rest of the world via other means. I really am enjoying it.

Sometimes the dialogue is rubbish though. The Danno/Steve banter is good most of the time but sometimes seemed forced...it does seem to be getting better- but that episode where Kono finds the doctor's body in the cupboard and she says 'I guess he won't be making house calls any more'. :shock: WHO WROTE THAT LINE? I think I spat all over the laptop at that one...

...still, it's good fun popcorn and it's quickly becoming our favorite new one.

Oh, and I had to look up who Wo Fat to understand the significance... :oops:
Help protect Hawaiʻi's Green Sea Turtles http://malamanahonu.org

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#186 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Finally they're airing a new episode Monday night. I saw an ad while watching NCAA and Wo Fat is involved somehow.

Jelly Doughnuts
Lieutenant Commander

#187 Post by Jelly Doughnuts »

Dan wrote:
zebra3 wrote:You're in Australia? I'd love to go there, though I'm sure it's not as glamorous as it sounds, just like Hawaii. It can't be all beautiful women, scenery and places. I'm sure there's plenty of downsides. Like having a Koala poop in your apartment.
Yep. Sydney.
Koala poop isn't much a problem, thankfully.

We are a bit out of the way for most of the world. It's just us and New Zealand down here. You get used to long-haul flights heading to Europe or the US. Nine hours to Honolulu from here isn't bad though. 8)
Hey Dan, I'm from Syd too (upper nth shore) now in Brisbane though. Australia really is beatiful IMO but like you say zebra3 there are plenty of downsides, depending where you look. Just like Hawaii I'm sure. Can't recall ever having stumbled upon koala poop, but kangaroo poop, now that's a whole other story ;)

Sounds like I should give this show a go. I flicked over to it last night but fell asleep 2 mins in - no reflection of the quality, just had a four hour driving lesson :P
"When I write my book on being a first class private investigator, Rule Number 168 is going to be: If you're getting chased, you should be in a fast car....
Postscript to Rule 168: No matter how fast your car is, there can always be one that's faster!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#188 Post by Steve »

StarchedUndershirts wrote:Finally they're airing a new episode Monday night. I saw an ad while watching NCAA and Wo Fat is involved somehow.
Looked like the Hotel where the green super hero character was thrown off the balcony was the Marriott Waikiki Resort used in The Hotel Dick. I kept looking in the background of the Comic Convention (nerds-a-poppin) for someone dressed like Magnum. I thought that would have been funny.............

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#189 Post by KENJI »

I watched The Taking of Dick Williams the other night and found a reference to McGarret and 5-O. If you look in J.J.'s episode guide it is all there too, very interesting! T.C.'s reference about McGarret was geniune, so you could have Magnum come on the show knowing Steve's father. Maybe he can help Steve solve his parents murders just like Angela Lansbury did in the cross over episode she did with MPI.

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#190 Post by sophia »

cbs.com has a contest going on guys where you can win a trip to Hawaii and meet the cast of Hawaii Five-O, if anyone is interested. :lol:

JT
Captain

#191 Post by JT »

What an excellent ending to a good First season of Hawaii Five 0.
Can’t wait until the second season starts.

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#192 Post by Steve »

Indeed, I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet but there is quite a surprise in store! I could however, have done without the "continued" as I am getting tired of end of season series cliffhangers..............

zebra3
Fleet Admiral

#193 Post by zebra3 »

I know what you mean. How about that Castle finale? That was intense, you think it's over when they kill off montgomery but then, low and behold, they actually close off the season with Beckett getting shot and dying in Castle's arms as he whispers to her that he loves her repeatedly.

Holy. Shit.
"Burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me."

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#194 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

Steve wrote:Indeed, I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet but there is quite a surprise in store! I could however, have done without the "continued" as I am getting tired of end of season series cliffhangers..............
Ditto. Why not have a 2 hour finale?

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#195 Post by MaiTaiMan »

When I first heard of the "Five-0" remake...I was majorly skeptical. I love the original show, and almost all other remakes of older popular shows have failed (such as 2006's "Bionic Woman" and 2008's "Knight Rider").

But, this new version of "Hawaii Five-0" is absolutely SUPERB!!! I'll always love Jack Lord's "Five-0", but this new updated show is my new favorite show and I did not miss an episode! They totally created this show exactly how they should have. They wove in enough odes to the original...but still created a whole new concept and idea!

My favorite aspects, though, are the original theme song with the updated images, and that they included Jack Lord's original 1974 Mercury Marquis...the last car he used in the original show! But, the plots/episodes, personal back stories, action, humor, cinematography, locations, etc...are all fascinating and awesome!

The season finale was just the other night--and it left you hanging, so I know there will be at least a second season! I can't wait!!! The DVD set for this first season is rumored to be out next fall...not too long before the second season would premiere.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"