Human Target

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

PhatCat
Admiral

Human Target

#1 Post by PhatCat »

Just watched the two new Human Target episodes. I have to say I think I'm going to like this show. I liked Mark Valley when he was on Boston Legal and his brief stint on Keen Eddie.

I didn't know Human Target was a comic back as far as 1972. Lots of history. Nor that Rick Springfield was in the 1992 tv adaptation. :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Target

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Target_(TV_series)

Anyway, I think this show as potential.

Bill

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I agree, I like the characters and think they have something here. I agree about Mark Valley, he has a jaw which screams superhero. If he was younger he'd be a great Captain America.

I especially like the Guerrero character. The actor played Rorshach in The Watchmen.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Dervish
Rear Admiral

#3 Post by Dervish »

I too am a fan of Boston Legal and I'm glad Mark Valley found a starring role. It's my favorite new show of the season and I'll be watching closely!

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Coops »

Deke Slayton:

Mark Valley:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#5 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I have seen the previews for this but haven't checked it out. I almost feel like I am trying to watch too much right now. I'd hate to get into this and try to make time for another show. Maybe once I get caught up on a few things on Netflix I'll give this a look.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#6 Post by J.J. Walters »

ConchRepublican wrote:I especially like the Guerrero character. The actor played Rorshach in The Watchmen.
That's Jackie Earle Haley, the kid who smokes and rides a Harley in The Bad News Bears! Actually, pretty much every movie he did as a kid he smoked. He always played a tough, angry misfit.

His career went in the dumps for most of the late 80s and 90s, but he's had an incredible resurgence of late - Academy award nomination and leads in big movies (including the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot, as Freddy!).
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

PhatCat
Admiral

#7 Post by PhatCat »

After watching a few more episodes, yes, I'm into this show.

Good stuff!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

I really like this one, too. I initially expected another 24 clone, but it's much more like a throwback to the 1980s. Hopefully it will be renewed for next season.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#9 Post by J.J. Walters »

Ok, if Shermy likes it, I'm in!

[off to see if it's available to add to Tivo]
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#10 Post by Shermy »

J.J. Walters wrote:Ok, if Shermy likes it, I'm in!
Now there's a blurb for the dvd cover! :lol:

PhatCat
Admiral

#11 Post by PhatCat »

Saw the season finale last week or whenever it was.

Love this show. To me, it's great because it's not like 24 where you have to pay attention and keep up with it the whole season. Plus you get new characters coming in every week.

Sort of like Magnum, A-Team, Highlander and some others rolled into 1 show. Not too techie and yet not too feel good either.

I really hope they bring it back next season. Full episodes available to watch online at http://www.fox.com/humantarget/

Bill

PhatCat
Admiral

#12 Post by PhatCat »

I'm not sure if anyone here has been watching this show for season 2.

Sadly, it has gone downhill considerably. So sad. Seems as if the writers took all the great things about season 1 and tossed them out.

This show has become a real disappointment for me. I thought it had so much potential.

Bill

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#13 Post by Shermy »

PhatCat wrote:Seems as if the writers took all the great things about season 1 and tossed them out.
It's the result of Fox replacing the original showrunner with Matt Miller (Chuck; Las Vegas), who then implemented changes such as a revamped theme, two female cast additions, and lots of pop tunes added to each episode's soundtrack. (One of the original creators, Jonathan Steinberg, is still on board and has been responsible for some of the best episodes of season two.)

Miller described the most notable change as a conscious decision to downplay the show's "mythology" (ie. Chance's mysterious past) in favor of a stronger focus on "character". Yet ironically, backstory and continuity are what most younger viewers wanted more of- especially after the season finale which finally revealed so many pieces of the puzzle. (Such as Armand Assante as Chance's old boss- a figure who was constantly alluded to during season one, yet has been completely ignored in season two.)

I feel the show has regained some of its mojo with the past several episodes, but unfortunately, Fox seems to have already given up on it. They initially started burning through additional episodes by airing them two-a-night, and have now begun to shift it around the schedule in order to expand American Idol. It's a shame, because even with the misguided changes, it still holds a great deal of potential.

In a way, it reminds me of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century- another show that was handicapped by a delayed second season and forced, unpopular format changes. It's also a stark reminder than many classic shows would probably never make it today, in an age where networks no longer allow time to grow an audience and viewers tend to prefer over-reaching continuity to episodic adventures.

PhatCat
Admiral

#14 Post by PhatCat »

Shermy, you nailed it. I agree completely!

BR