Dragnet

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dragnet

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MHTR wrote:This was a great show. I watched it all the time on Nick at Night in the late 80s / early 90s. There was great chemistry between Webb & Morgan. I thought the way they walked and talked was hilarious. It was available on Hulu a while ago, not sure if it still is.
It was indeed a great show and hokey or not, the legendary "Blue Boy" episode is damn entertaining on many levels though best viewed after at least 5 beers:
Blue Boy -" My hair's green and I'm a tree!"
Friday - "You're pretty high and far out. What kind of kick are you on, son?"

Believe it or not Webb was quite a ladies man and was the lead in several films. Webb was great in The DI. There was a priceless scene when one of the marine recruits on Parris Island kills a sand flea without permission, so his DI - Webb - has the entire platoon sifting thru sand dunes looking for the flea's body, in order to give it a funeral as a worthy foe and victim of the DI's beloved Corp.
One boot kills another flea on the sly and claims its the original flea.
Webb inspects the flea and declares its the wrong sex, so keep looking. I am not doing justice to this bit, you have to see it yourself, its worth sitting thru the whole flick just for that.
If I recall correctly, every role was filled by a active duty Marine except for Webb.
Through the early 1980's, the USMC noted that whenever local tv stations reran The DI or John Wayne's Sands of Iwo Jima, recuitment spiked in those areas.

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dragnet

#12 Post by Stelth »

Webb is in one of my favorite movies: Sunset Blvd with William Holden.