Greatest American Hero

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#16 Post by Italian Ice »

The Reunion - And Revival talk of GAH. I wish The MPI main cast would do a conference like this to say hello.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfbGPdhQ6g
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Italian Ice

#17 Post by Italian Ice »

RIP Robert Culp

You were a great part of this show. You would have been a good guest star on MPI as well.

Shame, because there were talks of a reunion movie....but at least they bought the show back in other ways...

Italian Ice

#18 Post by Italian Ice »

RIP Robert Culp

You were a great part of this show. You would have been a good guest star on MPI as well.

Shame, because there were talks of a reunion movie....but at least they bought the show back in other ways...

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by MACattack »

I remember watching this show as a child. I laughed a few times and even enjoyed the theme song. "believe it or not, I'm walking on air.....".

They should do a remake Tv series of the original. Great concept, but it would be nice to see it with new characters, and no bad early 80's haircuts! Plus there's nothing hilarious on Tv right now (unless you want to count Colin Ferguson's late nite talk show. Tom Selleck was actually a guest 4 months ago.).
I just don't give a damn!

Brian
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Brian »

This is a great show, I recently bought the complete series. Its another show like MPI where I often laugh out loud while watching it, I really dig Robert Culp he was a awesome actor. The Greatest American Hero was a great take on the "Super Hero concept". I think this show would be great for a remake today but they need to keep it fun and casting makes all the difference.
Sneakers Higgins!!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by AmandaByNight »

I definitely remember the Hinkley/Hankely issue. I even remember thinking of the Greatest American Hero when Regan was shot. I instantly connected the names... Not bad for a 10 year old!

The Greatest American Hero is one of my husband's all time favorite shows and I have very fond memories of watching it with my parents. They loved it too.

And yeah, Robert Culp was amazing, as per his usual, on it. Scenario became my favorite word!

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#22 Post by N1095A »

"But Higgins, I can explain."

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Seaver41 »

from time to time the ScyFy channel runs some episodes.............good fun. Recorded a few and watched...........forgot how hot Connie was and still is. Enjoyed that show as a kid very much, but it simply grew tired. The high school gang graduated and ideas dried up. It holds up well over time.

I think a large part of why we like it so is because it brings us back to a simpler time in our lives. It's a nice visit.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by AmandaByNight »

I forgot to mention I met William Katt briefly at Comic-con and he was pretty nice. His reputation in Hollywood isn't great, but he seemed pretty nice to his fans. I told him I loved him in Carrie!

There was a guy behind us in line who was an uber-GAH geek and he actually had an original minature, I think it was of the van (?) and he was going to get Katt to sign it.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

Re: Greatest American Hero

#25 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I liked this show when I was a kid, too. Started getting the DVDs on Netflix a while back and then decided to buy them. You can get the whole series from Amazon for around 10 bucks. I loved William Katt when I was a kid, but I watch now and think Robert Culp is hiliarious and the real star of the show. May have to check out some I Spy for more of Culp.

The picture quality on the Mill Creek DVDs is excellent, but some of the music is missing. No "Eve of Destruction" in Operation Spoilsport which kinda changes the tone of the episode.

Italian Ice

#26 Post by Italian Ice »

Hi Captain.

Yes, when I downloaded the show online, it was the older verions that you see on TV. In fact, you can see the name of the TV station on the bottom!

Ya, Eve of Destruction was a very moving scene in what is perhaps my favorite episode of the show.

What are your top 5? I believe I listed mine in this thread quite some time ago!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

One of my top 5 shows of the 80's! I'm a proud owner of all 3 seasons on DVD. Jeff MacKay appeared as a police officer in the pilot episode:

http://sendvid.com/go7tpn7y
I'm a Boxley Girl....

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I liked this show when I was a kid, too. Started getting the DVDs on Netflix a while back and then decided to buy them. You can get the whole series from Amazon for around 10 bucks. I loved William Katt when I was a kid, but I watch now and think Robert Culp is hiliarious and the real star of the show. May have to check out some I Spy for more of Culp.

The picture quality on the Mill Creek DVDs is excellent, but some of the music is missing. No "Eve of Destruction" in Operation Spoilsport which kinda changes the tone of the episode.
I recently viewed Operation Spoilsport on DECADES, it was butchered by the replacement of "Eve of Destruction" with crap music apparently done by the house band
of the local McDonalds.
That song was integral to the story line, the episode rendered pointless and unwatchable without it.
What happened is, like WKRP, they stripped out the original music because it cost too much to pay the original music makers. They wouldn't even pay for a lame
cover by studio musicians to replace the original songs, so that the sense of the scene could be retained.
This was also done to The Fugitive, even down to the incidental mood music. In fact they did such a crap job it affected sales of the DVD sets, so ownership promised
to cough up the the dough for a new restored release.
Be thankful these clowns did't get their hands on Casablanca, they'd junk "You Must Remember This" and replace it with Chopsticks.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#29 Post by Orrymain »

Yeah, The Fugitive music thing is legendary, I think. They put out replacement disks for the old version and failed to correct it for the latest release until fans screamed. They've finally corrected it, per my understanding of the situation.

Re: GAH, I watched it loyally. It was just a nice little family dramedy. The biggest laugh was the network paranoia at Hinkley to Hanley for the short term. So, what -- every person in America should be ashamed to have the name Hinkley? Give me a break. I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I'd ever seen done on a TV show.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Orrymain wrote:Yeah, The Fugitive music thing is legendary, I think. They put out replacement disks for the old version and failed to correct it for the latest release until fans screamed. They've finally corrected it, per my understanding of the situation.

Re: GAH, I watched it loyally. It was just a nice little family dramedy. The biggest laugh was the network paranoia at Hinkley to Hanley for the short term. So, what -- every person in America should be ashamed to have the name Hinkley? Give me a break. I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I'd ever seen done on a TV show.
Hi Orry Main,
I might have known a relative of yours back in grade school, Chicken Chow Mein.
Anyway, good post! Great minds must think alike, as at the time I too was disgusted with the Hinkley/Hanley thing.
Along those lines, after 911 the Got Their Panties in a Bunch Brigade were wailing that NYC set shows - NYPD Blue, Kojack, McCloud - that showed the World Trade Center should edit the Towers out in future reruns lest the mere sight of the buildings cause viewers to break down. And then weep and roll on the floor in despair because we are so morally weak(as opposed to say, Germany in WW2 that lost entire cities in one night of bombing but kept fighting).
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.