Any Spenser: For Hire Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

jno
Captain

Re: Any Spenser: For Hire Fans?

#61 Post by jno »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:20 pm
jno wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:26 am If you're after Robert Urich playing Spenser in a non-Spenser role, this is the closest I've seen him.
I'm just curious but was there something unique about the Spenser character or how Urich played him? It's my understanding that Urich typically just plays himself. Was this not the case with Spenser? Kind of like Tom Selleck usually just plays Tom Selleck. I guess I have a hard time picturing Urich playing something out of character for him. When I'm thinking of a unique character I'm immediately reminded of Columbo. The way Peter Falk played that character nobody else could have and it's just a very unique TV character, period. I guess I'm imagining Spenser to be just a typical 80s crime fighter. Correct me if I'm wrong. Did he have any special quirks or mannerisms or was he some dark and brooding character that was ahead of its time perhaps? Something atypical of Urich's other characters?
Ooh, that's a good question Ivan. When I come to think of it, probably nothing too outside the ordinary, but for me he nails it in terms of character he's given in Spenser, a good mix of action man, humour and a guy who doesn't always take himself too seriously. For me Urich was born to play Spenser, or it might just be it's down to a fantastic bit of casting.

I'd agree that Urich is very similar in a lot of roles he plays but likewise I can't take to VEGA$ like I can to Spenser. Why not? The setting? The plots? Possibly yes, but I think where Spenser wins hands down is the plausibility and authenticity in which he plays the character. You're right though, he's a similar type of character in many roles he plays (perhaps 'The Ice Pirates' is a slight exception?).

Regarding Night Walk, the late 80s cop story vibe gives it the similarity to Spenser edge than say some of his 90s efforts.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#62 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

jno wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:02 am
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:20 pm
jno wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:26 am If you're after Robert Urich playing Spenser in a non-Spenser role, this is the closest I've seen him.
I'm just curious but was there something unique about the Spenser character or how Urich played him? It's my understanding that Urich typically just plays himself. Was this not the case with Spenser? Kind of like Tom Selleck usually just plays Tom Selleck. I guess I have a hard time picturing Urich playing something out of character for him. When I'm thinking of a unique character I'm immediately reminded of Columbo. The way Peter Falk played that character nobody else could have and it's just a very unique TV character, period. I guess I'm imagining Spenser to be just a typical 80s crime fighter. Correct me if I'm wrong. Did he have any special quirks or mannerisms or was he some dark and brooding character that was ahead of its time perhaps? Something atypical of Urich's other characters?
Ooh, that's a good question Ivan. When I come to think of it, probably nothing too outside the ordinary, but for me he nails it in terms of character he's given in Spenser, a good mix of action man, humour and a guy who doesn't always take himself too seriously. For me Urich was born to play Spenser, or it might just be it's down to a fantastic bit of casting.

I'd agree that Urich is very similar in a lot of roles he plays but likewise I can't take to VEGA$ like I can to Spenser. Why not? The setting? The plots? Possibly yes, but I think where Spenser wins hands down is the plausibility and authenticity in which he plays the character. You're right though, he's a similar type of character in many roles he plays (perhaps 'The Ice Pirates' is a slight exception?).

Regarding Night Walk, the late 80s cop story vibe gives it the similarity to Spenser edge than say some of his 90s efforts.
I see. So it sounds like Spenser is typical Urich but his performance is perhaps elevated by the quality of the series itself. In other words, sometimes a mediocre actor can give a good performance if given a quality project. Likewise a good actor can give a mediocre performance if the project itself is mediocre.

jno
Captain

#63 Post by jno »

Yes, I'd agree with that Ivan.

I've been overdosing on Robert Urich TV movies recently and for me the most non-Urich Urich performances I've seen of late are in 'Killdozer' (1974) and 'The Defiant Ones' (1986). Killdozer is utterly preposterous and completely daft albeit with some fun music. I really enjoyed 'The Defiant Ones' which was a quality TV remake of the film with Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier. A lot of Urich's TV movies are on YT, but I've also forked out for a few DVDs too. Many just aren't out there. To be honest, Killdozer should probably have been kept under lock and key until the end of time too.

:lol:

Nikita70
Vice Admiral

#64 Post by Nikita70 »

Just started watching this series tonight. 5 episodes so far and I’m a fan. I love how he narrates the show like TM did in Magnum. Really adds to the enjoyment. I know it’s available on DVDs but they cheapened out and no subtitles were included. Streaming this on Tubi and they have subtitles which are a requirement for me.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#65 Post by eagle »

Cool, Tubi... I was wondering where you were watching that. I'll have to check that out - thanks!

I really want Remington Steele too, but we're not Prime Video members... oh well.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#66 Post by terryfromkerry »

I'm also a fan of Robert Ulrich. I have viewed a poor quality pilot episode of Gavilan on YouTube. The series was short lived and an obvious attempt to copy the success of Magnum PI. Patrick McNee even playing a Higgins type English sidekick. Just curious if the series is being repeated on USA TV channels. It does not seem to be available on DVD. Is anyone familiar with the show?
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#67 Post by Pahonu »

terryfromkerry wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:57 am I'm also a fan of Robert Ulrich. I have viewed a poor quality pilot episode of Gavilan on YouTube. The series was short lived and an obvious attempt to copy the success of Magnum PI. Patrick McNee even playing a Higgins type English sidekick. Just curious if the series is being repeated on USA TV channels. It does not seem to be available on DVD. Is anyone familiar with the show?
I saw a Gavilan episode called “Pirates” on YouTube a couple of years ago. It wasn’t too impressive. I think the show premise was cashing in on the recent popularity of the adventure genre, namely the globetrotting Indiana Jones, among other things. If I recall correctly, in a bit of a twist, McNee’s character was living in the guest house of Gavilan’s place.

Edit:
I just checked and the Pirates episode is still on YouTube. I also found another one called Th Guns of Harry August.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6AosxVp2Ezs
Apparently only 10 episodes were aired out of 13 produced and it was axed for abysmal ratings. Still, I might give it a second chance. I think checking YouTube occasionally might be your only chance of seeing more episodes.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#68 Post by Pahonu »

I watched the new episode I found referenced in the above post, and found it equally as unimpressive as the first I viewed. It wasn’t bad, just not terribly good. I also found a review of the series.

https://mysteryfile.com/blog/?p=57897

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by terryfromkerry »

Many thanks for all that information Pahonu. It was the Pirates episode I viewed previously. Just finished viewing The Guns Of Harry August. Sad to say it was dreadful unfortunately. Again mahalo for your assistance.
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".