Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#211 Post by Pahonu »

I guess it depends on one’s definition of “gritty”. I always think of it as meaning very realistic and raw. The Shield was based on police corruption in the Rampart division of LAPD and certainly qualifies as realistic. The Wire was very well done, showing the relationship between law enforcement and various groups in society. Blowing people away all over town like Dirty Harry doesn’t seem very realistic to me at all, because it’s not a reality in law enforcement. It may be popular in film and television, but the majority of officers never fire their weapon on duty in their whole career!

In fact, it’s only a little over a quarter of officers who do so. I read a Pew Research study a few years ago that was fascinating. Most Americans are way off when they estimate officers use of their service weapons. Many guessed that the average officer used their weapons a few times a year. I also recall male officers were 3x as likely to do so so as female officers. There was increased use by officers who worked in larger cities, and by former service members, as well as white officers versus minority officers. I’ll see if I can find the study.

Edit:
Here it is.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... mographic/

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#212 Post by Little Garwood »

Speaking of police (as it relates to Simon & Simon), I was pleased to find this photo Tim “Downtown Brown” Reid uploaded in 2019 of a reunion with his S&S co-star, Gerald McRaney:

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#213 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:08 pm I don't know what you'd call a "gritty cop show". I've heard of THE SHIELD and THE WIRE. Maybe those apply. But for 80s television HUNTER was pretty darn gritty. Hunter would blow the baddie away at the end Dirty Harry style, at a time when such a thing wasn't done on TV. That's why they almost axed the show for being too violent.
Mike Hammer did this every episode, so it was being done. But it was a concern for network executives.

For some reason, I don't think I've seen a single episode of Hunter. I remember seeing the ads constantly but never sought it out. I should watch a few episodes to see what I missed.

For the record, however, I loved the interaction between Rick and AJ. Sure, Rick was more of a Magnum type and likable, but AJ's practical approach to life and fastidiousness was key to Rick being so likable. I saw a lot of myself in both characters. Probably more like an AJ in reality, but always a hint of Rick around the edges. ;-)
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Styles Bitchley

#214 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Those photos are fantastic, Garwood. Thanks.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#215 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:39 pm I respect your viewpoint re: Simon & Simon, and even though you dislike the show, a bumped thread is a bumped thread! :wink:
I definitely do not dislike the show. I honestly cannot dislike anything detective/PI/cop/action/adventure related from this period (early to mid 80s). This part of the decade just hits that sweet spot for me. :) Ok, I admit that I can't get into CHiPs or DUKES OF HAZZARD but I'll just chalk that up to being products of the late 70s instead of early 80s. But SIMON & SIMON was definitely better than those shows, even if I don't think it was the bee's knees. Plus there's the nostalgia factor of me watching this show in the late 90s in reruns during my summer vacations. FIVE-O back to back at 9am and 10am and then followed by S&S at 11am. Obviously FIVE-O I loved but then S&S was a "take it or leave it" kind of deal. But I usually ended up taking it. :) Some episodes I enjoyed, others I didn't. In any case some of that nostalgia is still there.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#216 Post by Little Garwood »

…May Contain Spoilers…

Season and Episode Number: Season 5, Episode 1
Episode Title: “Love and/or Marriage"
Original Airdate: October 3, 1985
Writer: Michael Piller
Director: Vincent McEveety
Guest Cast: Dee Wallace-Stone (Carol Brooks); Britt Ekland (Samantha Blake); Richard Sarradet (Bill Brooks); Freeman King (Foreman); Michael Welden (“Hunk”); Rocky Krakoff (Chris Brooks); Peg Shirley (Mrs. Kaplan); John Mahon (Minister).

Synopsis: Carol Brooks, an acquaintance of Cecilia’s, hires the Simons to find if her husband is having an affair. While on the case, Rick finds himself attracted to the fragile Carol. Meanwhile, A.J. ponders his future with Liz.

Rating (1-10 Stars): 10/10

Review/Observations:I refer to season five of Simon & Simon as "The San Diego Season", in that images used for that season's iconic opening that year have a Miami Vice-styled emphasis on the city's glamour, as it were. The scattering pigeons, the reflection in that glass office building, the bikini-clad model being hit by the tide, and the boat slips. These images are added to an opening credits that already feature the Geisel Library, SeaWorld San Diego, and the Coronado Bridge.

This is also the season in which the Simons have new hairstyles. A.J. has his short, “Little Boy” haircut, while Rick has his remaining hair cropped short and his mustache significantly thinned out.

Love and/or Marriage has several superb scenes and a knowing look at the difficulty in maintaining romantic relationships. The fine script by Michael Piller is one of his, and perhaps one of the series' best. There are many quotable and amusing lines from this episode. As for the script's content, the season five premiere has the Simons really turning the corner on maturity here, with both McRaney and Parker doing a fine job when their characters realize that they are no longer the freewheeling bachelors they've always been.

Gerald McRaney and Dee Wallace-Stone have an intense and convincing onscreen romantic chemistry. Kudos to both actors for their efforts here.

Nice use of unconventional filming techniques in the finale, like one would have seen in the late '60s-early '70s. Rick "flashes forward" and the scene freezes as he imagines “what could be” with Carol if he fails to save William Brooks from plummeting to his death. This episode has a more serious tone than what we're used to on S&S; this will be more prevalent in seasons 7 and 8.

There are two "Don Diablo" tequila-drinking scenes in which the brothers commiserate over their respective romantic troubles. These scenes demonstrate the McRaney-Parker chemistry to perfection.

There is beautiful but incredibly warm and sunny weather in the opening wedding scene, as many of the actors look sweaty in their day wedding suits. There are lots of amusing anti-marriage jokes from Rick and Downtown Brown, both play the scene in an uncomfortable way, which works well in conveying the Confirmed Bachelor aspect of their characters. The wedding singer performs a cheesy rendition of the then-recent (and overplayed) Stevie Wonder song "I Just Called (to Say I Love You)."

The wedding minister is played by John Mahon, who would later play the Los Angeles Chief of Police in L.A. Confidential (1997).

Simon Back Story: Rick says he replayed the battle of Gettysburg "a hundred times a day" with his toy soldiers (which he gives to Carol's young son, Chris) when he was a kid. He always had the South win.

Among the junk of Rick's stored in Cecilia garage are some "Marlowe originals", which are paintings the pooch walked all over. A dead turtle is "still" in Cecilia garage. Rick, saddened, replies: "The turtle died? Why, he just wandered in there about twenty, twenty-five years ago...I've been looking for him."

Notable Use of Music: The wedding singer's cheesy rendition of "I Just Called to Say I Love You"; the electric bass and guitar cue heard during the tailing of Brooks and his "mistress" is reminiscent of Code of Silence (1985).

Memorable Dialogue: The entire driving and surveillance scene between Rick and A.J. is excellent, with the two exchanging their views on relationships. A.J.: "Does it ever bother you? You know, that you and I chronicle the fall of human relationships."

Undercover Shtick: A.J. visits the construction site as "Andy Simon from Grand Republic Insurance." He wears dark aviator sunglasses and a white shirt and black tie, grey slacks. Rick shows up at Samantha Blake's gallery as "Anatole", a Bulgarian artist singing "America the Beautiful'' in a fake thick Bulgarian accent. Rick exhibits Marlowe's "paintings" as his own while A.J. searches for the paperwork in Blake's office that shows William Brooks owes her a $750,000 debt with 10% weekly interest.

Eighties-isms: “I Just Called to Say I Love You"; 1980s wedding fashions.

San Diego References: Town mentions the Chargers' pass rush at the wedding; an announcer on A.J.'s Camaro radio mentions a Chargers press conference.
Last edited by Little Garwood on Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#217 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Fantastic and thorough commentary. I suddenly feel like I need to watch this episode. I'm not sure I've ever even seen it!

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#218 Post by Little Garwood »

Thanks. It's exhausting and obsessive enough including what I did! I could have droned on Higgins-like if I didn't hold back!

I may go back and edit/add things here whenever I find something "new" in an episode.

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#219 Post by Pahonu »

Thank you, and very well done! Thorough is a good description.

Styles Bitchley

#220 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:46 pm Thanks. It's exhausting and obsessive enough including what I did! I could have droned on Higgins-like if I didn't hold back!

I may go back and edit/add things here whenever I find something "new" in an episode.
You're a regular James J. Walters! You'll have to create a clone of Magnum Mania for S&S...

- J.Q.H.

Fleet Admiral

#221 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Impressive work, Garwood. Some of the episodes I remember from way back when so it'll be interesting reading. I have foggy memories of this one. I remember Bond girl Britt Ekland was in it. And that it had something to do with love and/or marriage. :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#222 Post by Little Garwood »

Styles Bitchley wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 pm
Little Garwood wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:46 pm Thanks. It's exhausting and obsessive enough including what I did! I could have droned on Higgins-like if I didn't hold back!

You're a regular James J. Walters! You'll have to create a clone of Magnum Mania for S&S...
In an ideal world (Ha!), a Simon & Simon website would flourish like the show itself did in its prime. In reality, it would just be me wandering the site’s long, empty (but content-rich) hallways!
IvanTheTerrible wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 pm Impressive work, Garwood. Some of the episodes I remember from way back when so it'll be interesting reading. I have foggy memories of this one. I remember Bond girl Britt Ekland was in it. And that it had something to do with love and/or marriage. :lol:
Much appreciated.

Britt circa 1985 imo looked considerably older than she did in 1974. I would chalk that up to how 1980s hair and clothes made women look older than their years. Ekland would have only been 42 or so when this episode aired.

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#223 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:47 pm
Britt circa 1985 imo looked considerably older than she did in 1974.
That she did! And now she looks downright creepy. But that's what going under the knife will do to you. Hey, there's a S&S eppie I liked - Under the Knife! :D

Fleet Admiral

#224 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

By the way, Garwood, what would be your all-time favorite S&S episode?

Another thing I've been meaning to bring up... what was with this "Mexican connection" during season 1? Is it just me or did it seem like every other episode had the boys either at the Mexican border or in Tijuana or something like that? Or the stories had something to do with "south of the border"? The seasons after that seemed to be more San Diego centered. But the first season almost felt like they lived and worked right on the border. Was this a "thing" in the early 80s? Mexican adventures and such? Even the first season theme sounds like it's played on the Spanish guitar or something.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#225 Post by Little Garwood »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:02 pm By the way, Garwood, what would be your all-time favorite S&S episode?
I’m saving that all-time top 10 episode list for much, much later—though I might have already mentioned my favorite earlier in this thread!
IvanTheTerrible wrote:Another thing I've been meaning to bring up... what was with this "Mexican connection" during season 1? Is it just me or did it seem like every other episode had the boys either at the Mexican border or in Tijuana or something like that? Or the stories had something to do with "south of the border"? The seasons after that seemed to be more San Diego centered. But the first season almost felt like they lived and worked right on the border. Was this a "thing" in the early 80s? Mexican adventures and such? Even the first season theme sounds like it's played on the Spanish guitar or something.
Either it was an early aspect of the series never fully explored owing to the close proximity between San Diego and “South of the Border”, or it was more likely Universal wanting to make extensive use of its numerous “Mexican” sets! In subsequent seasons, S&S featured episodes taking place in fictional Latin American countries. “Anador”, “Costa Nueva”, “Costa Verde”, etc. I get a kick out of those made-up names although in its later seasons, S&S dropped that in their attempt at “grittiness” and named names, as it were.

~Tom Selleck