Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

MikeS
Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#256 Post by MikeS »

Man, looking at the ad in post #242 above, it kinda has an aged look about it, like it's from another century :P
MikeS

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#257 Post by Little Garwood »

MikeS wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm Man, looking at the ad in post #242 above, it kinda has an aged look about it, like it's from another century :P
The ‘80s are ancient history, man; and we’re, like, relics for digging this stuff. :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#258 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I hated "Skull of Nostradamus". I'm just not into that stuff at all. Witches, human sacrifice, the occult, etc. Even when it's played for laughs I just don't find it funny.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#259 Post by Little Garwood »

IvanTheTerrible wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:49 pm I hated "Skull of Nostradamus". I'm just not into that stuff at all. Witches, human sacrifice, the occult, etc. Even when it's played for laughs I just don't find it funny.
”He never even kids about it.”

~Tom Selleck

jno
Captain

#260 Post by jno »

Great reviews on here Little Garwood. You have inspired me to restart watching Simon & Simon (which I'll do after I've finished 70s UK series Z-Cars).

8)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#261 Post by Little Garwood »

jno wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:37 am Great reviews on here Little Garwood. You have inspired me to restart watching Simon & Simon (which I'll do after I've finished 70s UK series Z-Cars).

8)
Guess I’ll be seeing you here right after you’ve finished watching the 801 episodes! :wink:

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#262 Post by Little Garwood »

Season and Episode Number: Season 5, Episode 6
Episode Title: Have You Hugged Your Private Detective Today?
Original Airdate: November 7, 1985
Writer: Thomas Perry, Jo Perry (teleplay); Paul L. Ehrmann, Craig Buck (story)
Director: Kim Manners

Synopsis: A TV sex therapist hires the Simons to find out who murdered one of her employees, a sex therapist. Meanwhile, A.J. attempts to soothe the pain of his breakup with Liz by entering the dating scene, with mixed results.

Guest Cast: Barbara Rhoades (Dr. Dorothy Harcroft); Joan Sweeney (Lila Simpson); Sherry Hursey (Julie Bronson); Alan Feinstein (Dr. Karl Chadway); Bartley Braverman (Dr. Ted Van Adams); Walter Brooke (Ben Rollins); John Findlater (Attorney Gregory Hollis).

Rating (1-10 stars): 8/10

Review/Observations: The mid-'80s Dr. Ruth craze finds its way into the Simonverse in this episode, which uses the word "sex" countless times. It's as much a social commentary as any episode in a series, and decade, not known for commenting on its lesser virtues.

This episode also chronicles changes in A.J. Simon's world, as the breakup of his relatively long-term relationship with the never-seen Liz continues to affect him.

Barbara Rhoades, a statuesque beauty and most welcome presence in countless 1970s Universal TV productions, was apparently still a Universal contract player as of 1985. An actress who combined brains with beauty, Rhoades plays TV sex therapist Dr. Dorothy Harcroft. However, her character has none of Rhoades’ usual appeal, as she is rigid and clinical in this sex therapist role. "Dr. Dorothy" is not a parody of Dr. Ruth and the role is played in a serious manner though the opportunity for a more interesting character as well as a comedic episode was missed here.

According to Rick, A.J. has been "living a pretty strange life" since his breakup with Liz. It's a life that A.J. claims Rick has been living for the past fifteen years. Rick counters with, "Yes, but you gotta take five years just to work up to it, so you don't hurt yourself." Words of wisdom, Simon and Simon fans.

There's a framed caricature drawing of A.J., Town, and Rick on the wall above A.J.'s living room television.

Dr. Harcroft and Cecilia Simon are in the same aerobics class, and Cecilia suggested she come to them for this case. in a huge Freudian slip, Harcroft calls Rick "Dick.”

Bart Braverman, best known as a regular on the 1970s TV game show Match Game and Vega$ sports a beard and eyeglasses in this episode. Braverman is effective in a brief role as Dr. Harcoft’s edgy and annoying colleague at the research center.

Dorothy Harcroft's receptionist, Susan (actress uncredited), is a gorgeous blonde.

When Rick is changing channels, the programs heard include: an idiotic soap opera, a lame cooking show, a Spanish-language weather report, an obnoxious announcer pushing "rock-bottom prices", the Doctor Dorothy Harcroft show, and a news report of students storming the American embassy to "free the dean of the foreign language..." Rick goes back to Dr. Harcroft’s sex show.

The top is up on A.J.'s Camaro when he goes to meet with attorney Gregory Hollis (John Findlater), whose remarks to A.J. about dating set off A.J.'s own worries about his love life.

Marlowe is seen trotting around in front of A.J's house in an establishing shot around the episode's 33:00 mark, but he is otherwise not seen in the episode itself.

Rick says that Carlos subscribes to the "Insect of the Month Club." Every month he is sent a silver, life-sized replica of an insect of the world. The club advertises in a magazine, which AJ is reading in the Mead waiting room.

The Simons and Dr. Harcroft crack the case at roughly the same time, though it is Dr. Dorothy who gets put in danger when she's in Dr. Karl Chadway's office looking through his files. The Simons quickly follow, though. A night-for-night shot of the Power Wagon pulling up in front of the research center is seen at the episode's finale.

Rick sets up a double date for him and A.J. with two mud wrestlers who have since graduated to olive oil. The last shot is a beautifully warm and sunny one as the brothers leave another research center.

Simon Back Story: A.J. is going through a midlife crisis. He dates numerous women and gets arrested after getting into a barroom brawl at the "Beer and Steer" after hitting on another man's wife. Or, as Rick puts it, "Trolling for fish on other men's menu."

Rick had a collection of "Swedish magazines", of which he still has back issues, and a Little Black Book, both of which he forbade A.J. to see when the two were younger.

Notable Use of Music: Slick acoustic slide guitar cue as the Simons search through Dr. Dorothy's files. "Sexy" saxophone cue that plays when Rick is at the swimming pool of the apartment complex where sex patient Ben Rollins resides with his mature, but still-attractive poolmate, Molly.

Memorable Dialogue: [Rick watching Dr. Harcroft's TV program] "The man who wears the leather jacket or cowboy boots probably has a dull fantasy life. His lack of imagination is reflected in his infantile attachment to crude symbols of masculinity."

Undercover Shtick: Rick and A.J. get inside the Mead Psychiatric Research Center via their "Tree Time Rent-a-Plant" shtick. A.J: "Tree Time: When you need green on the scene!" They ostensibly bring "delphiniums to Dr. Dorothy", and rifle through her files for info. When the security guard enters the room, A.J breaks into "Rock-a-Bye Baby" as he longingly wipes down the leaves of a desk plant. "They like it when you sing to them." Rick joins him in the singing.

A.J. goes to sex therapist Julie Bronson as Ernest Van Der Grift, an independently-wealthy collector of "18th century epistolary novels."

Rick goes undercover as "Rex Ives"[?], a private security consultant for Fitz Martin when he goes to Julie Bronson's place. He wears a dark suit, dark sunglasses, and has a lot of bug-detecting equipment. He hands her a check for $5,000 which he will give her each week for information on Ernest Van Der Grift, whose sister, according to Rick's shtick, keeps tabs on her wayward brother. Rick goes on to reveal his true identity when he sees the motorcyclist who buzzes by in an attempt to hit him.

1980s-ness: The episode is influenced/inspired by TV sex therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer, whose nightly TV series aired on the Lifetime television network. Robin, A.J.'s one-night stand with a teal-dress wearing, putrid dyed-blonde-hair-with-black-roots-woman, who also wears an ugly, chunky necklace, is '80s to the core. Rick wears his Magnum-style Aloha shirt, A.J.'s date in the opening scene has a hideous hairdo and liquid tan.

San Diego References: While Rick is changing channels, the production credits are seen as the San Diego skyline rolls by.

A patient file for “Bill Eckworth” lists his address as being 312 Varsity Road, San Diego, CA 91250. DOB 3/11/61 Age 24. Occupation: Engineer. According to Harcroft's notes, she first saw this patient on August 1, 1985. Eckworth is noted as, "suffering from manic-depression. After talking with him I diagnosed him as having manic-depressive psychoses as a result of being rejected by not only his parents but his..." [paperwork cuts off]

Other patients whom A.J. photographs the paperwork of include: attorney Gregory Hollis, age 33, (born 5/11/52) of 10162 Waterton Avenue, San Diego CA; and Ben Rollins, corporate executive, age 56, (born 6/10/29) of 344 Almont Drive, San Diego 92100.

~Tom Selleck

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#263 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

I remember enjoying this episode but recall very little about the plot details. I don't even remember who the culprit was. I remember a guy on a motorcycle. Was it Chadway (Alan Feinstein)? He usually played baddies. Was he a fellow sex therapist too?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#264 Post by Little Garwood »

Season and Episode Number: Season 5, Episode 7
Episode Title: Reunion at Alcatraz
Original Airdate: November 14, 1985
Writer: Michael Piller
Director: Vincent McEveety

Synopsis: AJ and Rick head to San Francisco to help an aspiring detective, their cousin, Elizabeth. They connect her with veteran P.I. Sam Penny, who is tracking Frank Morris, the escaped prisoner from Alcatraz in 1962.

Guest Cast: Caren Kaye (Elizabeth Charles); Vincent Baggetta (Ron Lottick); Rosemary Forsyth (Ellen Lottick); Barry Jenner (Warden Latham); Jamie Widdoes (Attorney Roger Brunswick); Virginia Vincent (Toni Myers); David Frishberg (Piano Player); William Bryant (Marshall J. Underwood). Special Guest Star Robert Lansing as Sam Penny.

Rating (1-10 stars): 9/10

Review/Observations: This is the second and final appearance of world-weary hardboiled San Francisco private eye Sam Penny. It's an episode that's superior to his first appearance, season three's Shadow of Sam Penny. San Francisco location filming elevates Reunion at Alcatraz, as does the continued character development of Sam Penny.

According to the IMDb, there was a 1983 TV movie, also titled Shadow of Sam Penny.

The episode is also less of an homage to Film Noir and more of an interesting case for both Penny and Rick and A.J. Simon, who are less the hero worshippers and more the professional detectives we know them to be.

A black & white Universal-International News film from 1962 starts off the episode. "Flee Alcatraz." Ed Herlihy is credited as the voice, but it doesn't sound like him to me. Vintage footage is shown combined with color footage of deputy warden Ron Lottick, (Vincent Baggetta) who sounds stunned by the escape.

Ron Lottick is a fragment of a man still haunted over his failure to recapture Morris. Lottick spends much of the time screaming or shooting at a man in a trench coat he "knows" is Frank Morris. Lottick has returned to The Rock for the first time since his "raw deal" of losing his assistant warden post. A desperate Lottick, now deputy warden at Beauville Prison, hires Sam Penny to find Frank Morris.

Virginia Vincent plays Sam Penny's "Girl Friday", Toni Myers, this time around. She replaces Joan Leslie. She has a catty line to Elizabeth about not having to keep track of the latter's messages.

Penny lives in room 304 in a dump of a hotel, The Knickerbocker. He wakes up next to an alarmingly still blonde, whom he calls "Miss" (and later refers to as his "niece" as a cover story) when he tries to wake her up after their night together. The women's face is never seen, and she fails to wake even after Penny's phone, which he doesn't answer, rings nine times, as he thinks it may be the hotel manager.

From his hotel bill, Penny owes more than $420.00 as of 10/17/85. The bill is stuck to the bottom of "Rum" brand rum. Rum is Penny's liquor of choice, which is unusual for a P.I., who stereotypically swill Bourbon, whiskey, or Scotch whisky. I'd like to think that Sam Penny became enamored with Rum after becoming enamored with the stuff while visiting Cuba during his 1950s heyday.

Actress Caren Kaye resembles to 1980s actress Anne Bloom.

Sam refers to A.J. and Rick as "Junior and his partner." He seems to legitimately not know their actual names. He mentions having taken a case in Copenhagen, though he did not. A.J. shows none of the hero worship he expressed in Shadow of Sam Penny.

Effective use of the rundown Alcatraz Island area, especially the decrepit-looking prison block and its surrounding areas. The location filming really helps propel the story.

Rick and A.J. work together and Sam Penny and Elizabeth are paired up.

Sam's outlook on life and self awareness is encapsulated in his Willie Mays monologue: "He had it all. He had the arm, he had the bat, he had the legs. Maybe the most God-given talent in the history of man. But he didn't know when to quit. He just kept on keepin' on, and finally when all the cheers died down, all he had left...was the name."

Town and a guard are framed in the open door of the laundry truck as he stalls long enough for the Simons to crawl out of the truck. Town sneezes and claims to be allergic to cotton.

The scenery of the prison escape is well filmed and the sunny weather not seen in San Francisco is in full view in this sequence.

The reveal of who was behind the whole scheme is revealed in Sam Penny's office. The culprit is led away in true mystery movie/Film Noir fashion.

Simon Back Story: The Simons have an aunt Marian, whose daughter Elizabeth has started a detective agency. Rick and A.J. haven't seen her since her days of having freckles and pigtails. According to Rick, Elizabeth used to "beat the pants off of A.J." when they were kids, which of course an embarrassed A.J. denies.

Elizabeth says that she hasn't seen Rick since he was seventeen. She asks if he's still taking care of "little A.J."

The sign of Elizabeth's office on Fisherman's Wharf reads: "The Elizabeth Charles Agency: Discreet Investigations." Elizabeth wanted to do something exciting and so she stopped being a housewife and became a detective. She has apprenticed as a detective for three years, but does not say with whom.

During their "rookie" days as investigators, A.J. recalls how Rick managed to blow up the mayor's car once, to which Rick replies, "He shouldn't have left it outside that motel at that time of night."

Notable Use of Music: Joseph Conlan's superb, atmospheric jazz-like score not only works well for evoking 1950s detective Sam Penny, it successfully underscores San Francisco, which serves as a character in this story.

The piano player played by David Frishberg repeatedly sings a song at Sam's request. It is in the style of jazz singer Mark Murphy and consists of nothing but the names of obscure baseball players (Heenie Majeski, Danny Gardella).

The powerful blast of trumpet and bass which serves as Sam Penny's theme is first heard when Sam Penny leans out of the window of the run-down Knickerbocker Hotel as the camera pulls back to reveal the San Francisco skyline.

There's also a Miles Davis-style muted trumpet and walking bass cue with drums combined with typically Simon & Simon chimey synths during the Simons and Penny car pursuit of Ron Lottick.

Energetic cue featuring electric guitar, saxophone, and synth drums is heard during the Simons' escape from Beauville Prison.

Memorable Dialogue:

Town and the elderly gate guard:
Town: "Someone keeps swiping the towels out of C-Block. This is really getting out of hand."
Guard: "Taxpayers don't care. Where's Benny this morning?"
Town: "Day off."
Guard: "Benny never took a day off in his life!"
Town: "That's what I meant. He's dead."
Guard: "My God! He was my age!"
Town: "Yeah, and you're not lookin' too well, either." [Drives off]

Undercover Shtick: Rick, A.J., and Elizabeth as gray-suited health department inspectors go to the docked boat of Marshall J. Underwood, whose wife alleges has stolen two 16th Century Albrecht Dürer woodcuts. I like the way A.J. cockily says "You betcha!" The shtick goes awry when it is revealed that Underwood is the harbormaster of San Francisco. Their subsequent arrest leads them to Sam Penny, whom they call to vouch for them.

With Town undercover as a laundry truck driver and wonders how many lobsters he and Temple Hill could eat in 24 hours. Rick and A.J. are smuggled into Beauville prison in Marin County. Town has several amusing lines and is planning his and Temple's San Francisco day tour of the city. Town also banters with an elderly guard.

Rick and A.J. as prisoners at Beauville Prison. Rick calls A.J. "Fingers Burton", "the guy who had eight fingers in his freezer when they busted him." when the two bluff some tough convicts, who later attempt to escape when Rick and A.J. do.

The silhouette of Sam and Elizabeth kissing is seen through the pebbled glass of Sam's office. Elizabeth becomes Penny's new associate, even getting the title etched on the door.

1980s-ness: Clothes, music, and pop culture references are pretty tasteful by 1980s standards, owing to the throwback vibe of Sam Penny.

San Diego References: Not San Diego, but there are several scenes shot on location in San Francisco. Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, and various skyline views of the city are seen.

~Tom Selleck

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#265 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:14 pm Season and Episode Number: Season 5, Episode 7

Synopsis: AJ and Rick head to San Francisco to help an aspiring detective, their cousin, Elizabeth. They connect her with veteran P.I. Sam Penny, who is tracking Frank Morris, the escaped prisoner from Alcatraz in 1962.

Guest Cast: Caren Kaye (Elizabeth Charles); Vincent Baggetta (Ron Lottick); Rosemary Forsyth (Ellen Lottick); Barry Jenner (Warden Latham); Jamie Widdoes (Attorney Roger Brunswick); Virginia Vincent (Toni Myers); David Frishberg (Piano Player); William Bryant (Marshall J. Underwood). Special Guest Star Robert Lansing as Sam Penny.

Review/Observations: This is the second and final appearance of world-weary hardboiled San Francisco private eye Sam Penny. It's an episode that's superior to his first appearance, season three's Shadow of Sam Penny. San Francisco location filming elevates Reunion at Alcatraz, as does the continued character development of Sam Penny.

According to the IMDb, there was a 1983 TV movie, also titled Shadow of Sam Penny.

The episode is also less of an homage to Film Noir and more of an interesting case for both Penny and Rick and A.J. Simon, who are less the hero worshippers and more the professional detectives we know them to be.

A black & white Universal-International News film from 1962 starts off the episode. "Flee Alcatraz." Ed Herlihy is credited as the voice, but it doesn't sound like him to me. Vintage footage is shown combined with color footage of deputy warden Ron Lottick, (Vincent Baggetta) who sounds stunned by the escape.

Ron Lottick is a fragment of a man still haunted over his failure to recapture Morris. Lottick spends much of the time screaming or shooting at a man in a trench coat he "knows" is Frank Morris. Lottick has returned to The Rock for the first time since his "raw deal" of losing his assistant warden post. A desperate Lottick, now deputy warden at Beauville Prison, hires Sam Penny to find Frank Morris.

Virginia Vincent plays Sam Penny's "Girl Friday", Toni Myers, this time around. She replaces Joan Leslie. She has a catty line to Elizabeth about not having to keep track of the latter's messages.

Penny lives in room 304 in a dump of a hotel, The Knickerbocker. He wakes up next to an alarmingly still blonde, whom he calls "Miss" (and later refers to as his "niece" as a cover story) when he tries to wake her up after their night together. The women's face is never seen, and she fails to wake even after Penny's phone, which he doesn't answer, rings nine times, as he thinks it may be the hotel manager.

From his hotel bill, Penny owes more than $420.00 as of 10/17/85. The bill is stuck to the bottom of "Rum" brand rum. Rum is Penny's liquor of choice, which is unusual for a P.I., who stereotypically swill Bourbon, whiskey, or Scotch whisky. I'd like to think that Sam Penny became enamored with Rum after becoming enamored with the stuff while visiting Cuba during his 1950s heyday.

Sam refers to A.J. and Rick as "Junior and his partner." He seems to legitimately not know their actual names. He mentions having taken a case in Copenhagen, though he did not. A.J. shows none of the hero worship he expressed in Shadow of Sam Penny.

Effective use of the rundown Alcatraz Island area, especially the decrepit-looking prison block and its surrounding areas. The location filming really helps propel the story.

Sam's outlook on life and self awareness is encapsulated in his Willie Mays monologue: "He had it all. He had the arm, he had the bat, he had the legs. Maybe the most God-given talent in the history of man. But he didn't know when to quit. He just kept on keepin' on, and finally when all the cheers died down, all he had left...was the name."

Town and a guard are framed in the open door of the laundry truck as he stalls long enough for the Simons to crawl out of the truck. Town sneezes and claims to be allergic to cotton.

The scenery of the prison escape is well filmed and the sunny weather not seen in San Francisco is in full view in this sequence.

The reveal of who was behind the whole scheme is revealed in Sam Penny's office. The culprit is led away in true mystery movie/Film Noir fashion.

Simon Back Story: The Simons have an aunt Marian, whose daughter Elizabeth has started a detective agency. Rick and A.J. haven't seen her since her days of having freckles and pigtails. According to Rick, Elizabeth used to "beat the pants off of A.J." when they were kids, which of course an embarrassed A.J. denies.

Elizabeth says that she hasn't seen Rick since he was seventeen. She asks if he's still taking care of "little A.J."

The sign of Elizabeth's office on Fisherman's Wharf reads: "The Elizabeth Charles Agency: Discreet Investigations." Elizabeth wanted to do something exciting and so she stopped being a housewife and became a detective. She has apprenticed as a detective for three years, but does not say with whom.

During their "rookie" days as investigators, A.J. recalls how Rick managed to blow up the mayor's car once, to which Rick replies, "He shouldn't have left it outside that motel at that time of night."

Notable Use of Music: Joseph Conlan's superb, atmospheric jazz-like score not only works well for evoking 1950s detective Sam Penny, it successfully underscores San Francisco, which serves as a character in this story.

The piano player played by David Frishberg repeatedly sings a song at Sam's request. It is in the style of jazz singer Mark Murphy and consists of nothing but the names of obscure baseball players (Heenie Majeski, Danny Gardella).

The powerful blast of trumpet and bass which serves as Sam Penny's theme is first heard when Sam Penny leans out of the window of the run-down Knickerbocker Hotel as the camera pulls back to reveal the San Francisco skyline.

There's also a Miles Davis-style muted trumpet and walking bass cue with drums combined with typically Simon & Simon chimey synths during the Simons and Penny car pursuit of Ron Lottick.

Energetic cue featuring electric guitar, saxophone, and synth drums is heard during the Simons' escape from Beauville Prison.

Memorable Dialogue:

Town: "Someone keeps swiping the towels out of C-Block. This is really getting out of hand."

Undercover Shtick: Rick, A.J., and Elizabeth as gray-suited health department inspectors go to the docked boat of Marshall J. Underwood, whose wife alleges has stolen two 16th Century Albrecht Dürer woodcuts. I like the way A.J. cockily says "You betcha!" The shtick goes awry when it is revealed that Underwood is the harbormaster of San Francisco. Their subsequent arrest leads them to Sam Penny, whom they call to vouch for them.

With Town undercover as a laundry truck driver and wonders how many lobsters he and Temple Hill could eat in 24 hours. Rick and A.J. are smuggled into Beauville prison in Marin County. Town has several amusing lines and is planning his and Temple's San Francisco day tour of the city. Town also banters with an elderly guard.

Rick and A.J. as prisoners at Beauville Prison. Rick calls A.J. "Fingers Burton", "the guy who had eight fingers in his freezer when they busted him." when the two bluff some tough convicts, who later attempt to escape when Rick and A.J. do.

The silhouette of Sam and Elizabeth kissing is seen through the pebbled glass of Sam's office. Elizabeth becomes Penny's new associate, even getting the title etched on the door.

1980s-ness: Clothes, music, and pop culture references are pretty tasteful by 1980s standards, owing to the throwback vibe of Sam Penny.

San Diego References: Not San Diego, but there are several scenes shot on location in San Francisco. Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, and various skyline views of the city are seen.
I gotta stop reading these synopsis's of yours. I am so jonesing to see this great series again.
Robert Lansing, Rosemary Forsyth, you just don't get this quality of guest stars on series TV anymore.
There is no reason for this, there are plenty of good actors coming from regional theaters, schools etc.
I believe the studios don't bother nurturing a Lansing or character actor types and second bananas such as a Ellen Corby because you'd have to pay them more.
Do you ever recognize the visiting secondary cast members on any TV series? Whereas just seeing a Pat Hingle appear you know you are in for a good performance.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#266 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:12 am
Little Garwood wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:14 pm Season and Episode Number: Season 5, Episode 7

Memorable Dialogue:

I gotta stop reading these synopsis's of yours. I am so jonesing to see this great series again.
Robert Lansing, Rosemary Forsyth, you just don't get this quality of guest stars on series TV anymore.
There is no reason for this, there are plenty of good actors coming from regional theaters, schools etc.
I believe the studios don't bother nurturing a Lansing or character actor types and second bananas such as a Ellen Corby because you'd have to pay them more.
Do you ever recognize the visiting secondary cast members on any TV series? Whereas just seeing a Pat Hingle appear you know you are in for a good performance.
I agree with you completely about the quality of guest stars declining… and Pat Hingle always gave a good performance. However, I think perhaps part of the problem, is that casting directors are acutely aware of casting the same actor in a series. It was not an issue at all in the past but today audiences seem to decry the same actor playing different roles in a show. There have been several posts in this forum by viewers bothered that the same actor reappeared as a different character. It doesn’t bother me, but modern audiences likely disagree.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#267 Post by Little Garwood »

The only time I don’t like it when actors return as different characters is when they return after already having played a recurring character. Simon Oakland in The Rockford Files, for example. He’d already played fellow detective Vern St. Cloud, but then Oakland comes back in a throwaway role in Just a Coupla Guys. Granted, he’s in that episode ever so briefly, and that episode rates a 3 out of 10 from me if only for the bit riffing on the then-popular American Express ad campaign. :D

~Tom Selleck

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#268 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:29 pm The only time I don’t like it when actors return as different characters is when they return after already having played a recurring character. Simon Oakland in The Rockford Files, for example. He’d already played fellow detective Vern St. Cloud, but then Oakland comes back in a throwaway role in Just a Coupla Guys. Granted, he’s in that episode ever so briefly, and that episode rates a 3 out of 10 from me if only for the bit riffing on the then-popular American Express ad campaign. :D
It doesn’t bother me at all actually, but apparently that’s no so with many people. Like I said, there have been more than a few forum posts here and many fans seem seriously bothered by the practice.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#269 Post by Little Garwood »

Consider yourself self actualized, Pahonu! :wink:

I see I didn’t finish some thoughts in the previous review…the thing about it is is, I don’t recall what I wanted to write! :oops: Corrections to follow (eventually).

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#270 Post by Little Garwood »

Season and Episode Number: Season 5, Episode 8
Episode Title: Down-Home Country Blues
Original Airdate: November 21, 1985
Writer: Terrell Tannen (Teleplay); Darrell Fetty, Ramsay King (Story)

Synopsis: Rick and AJ are hired to find performer Jim Henderson aka Jim Lee who has disappeared with his son Jason but Jim's drugged-out country music star ex-wife Bonnie has custody. The brothers impersonate Nashville stars to uncover some dishonest deals.

Guest Cast: Lance LeGault (Matt Greenwood); Angel Tompkins (Bonnie Henderson); Sam Anderson (Ellis); Terri Treas (Joanie Rogers); John O'Connell (Dr. Montana); Christopher Burton (Jason Lee); Special Guest Star Larry Gatlin (Jim Lee/Jim Henderson).

Rating (1-10 stars): 7/10

Review/Observations: An episode I once considered among the worst in the entire series, Down-Home Country Blues is actually great fun, though still not a serious threat to rank among my all-time favorite episodes. There is enough to entertain even the most critical fans, who will find something to enjoy here.

In the opening credits, the episode title is on a palm tree background. The camera tilts to a shot of San Diego Bay(?) as Larry Gatlin's 1979 song All the Gold in California is heard. Gatlin's character, is seen with "His Cowboy Band" performing (half) the song at The Corral, advertised as having "Country Music, Entertainment, Dancing, Cocktails..."

Why didn't Bonnie ever help Jim become a big Country music star when they were married? Did he ever write her a hit song? None of this is explained.

You haven't lived until until you've seen announcer Gary Owens in a cowboy hat, huge glasses, and cheesy mustache. Thankfully, this episode provides that very image.

In addition to San Diego, this story also takes place in "Hurricane", Colorado. There is also a scene where Rick and AJ pass through "Broomstick, Nevada." A road sign is seen with that name on it.

Jim Henderson (Larry Gatlin) must have a thing for medium-length-haired blondes in the Country music industry, as both Joanie and ex-wife Bonnie share a similar look.

Henderson is not a big Country music star, as he performs exclusively in roadhouses and outdoor picnics, including one outdoor restaurant called "The Tear Trail", but his songs have generated interest from C&W bigwig Yancy Carlson (Sunset Carson), who wears a truly hideous oversized turquoise necklace/bolo tie in his one scene.

Henderson almost never appears to be actually playing his guitar. He must prefer the Elvis Presley school of guitar caressing. Henderson drives around in a battered RV hitched to a dire-looking and ancient green pickup truck.

Angel Tompkins gives a good performance as Bonnie Henderson, the drug-addled "Sweetheart of Country Music." It's a role that could have easily descended into parody and overacting, but Tompkins does quite well. Her character is shown in meltdown/nervous breakdown mode, yet she retains dignity and strength in the scene where she and Jason escape from her manager Ellis and his goons. She and Christopher Burton also share a genuinely affectionate scene together before their escape.

Rick's buddy and troublemaker extraordinaire Carlos is mentioned. AJ is "still sore" with him after a prank phone call, but wants to make it up via an "uncrated" surprise.

Downtown Brown and slimy bounty hunter Matt Greenwood (Lance LeGault) have a strong scene in Town's office. Greenwood has his boots up on Town's desk and is fondling some trophy of Town's. The two have apparently locked horns before, as Greenwood complains of being rousted last time they met. Greenwood is in San Diego to serve notice on Jim Henderson, who is an "interstate fugitive" for kidnapping his son.

Rick and AJ have a comedic scene with an old codger standing by the side of the road that is bound to annoy the less patient viewer.

When the Simons find Jim Henderson, the conversation they have makes the brothers sound like marriage counselors.

There's a brief scene at AJ's house where Henderson, Joanie, and Jason discuss the case while AJ serves everybody drinks. Marlowe is also there. Cecilia Simon does not appear in this episode.

Lance LeGault looks to be doing many of his own stunts. When Greenwood falls down as Henderson's truck pulls away, it looks to be LeGault doing the fall. Henderson hits him with the door of his truck and it's Legault taking the hit. LeGault is later seen running at full speed with the Power Wagon right behind him and does the fall himself. He also scampers backwards about six feet after taking Rick's punch, falling down, though cushioned by a stunt man (playing a goon) behind him.

Bounty hunter Greenwood tells the Simons "no hard feelings" and even offers a handshake to AJ after the brothers take down Ellis and his henchmen. Greenwood claims that he's already on to another job. When AJ gut punches him in return for their earlier fight, Greenwood stands motionless, mouth agape, and remains that way until Rick punches him. It's cartoony stuff more appropriate to The A-Team. Despite this, Greenwood's amoral characterization would have made for an interesting follow up episode, and it's a shame the character was "one and done."

When Jim is singing his self-penned "Ballad of Rick and AJ" (my title), both Rick and AJ--and probably much of the viewing audience--look embarrassed beyond words. The brothers are seen driving off down a dusty road into the distance as the song plays on.

Simon Back Story: According to the greeting he leaves on AJ's answering machine, Rick owns a "Reinell cabin cruiser", which he lists as being in "mint condition."

Rick was on the road for two months in 1967(?) and feels that he gleaned a lifetime of wisdom from the experience, or so AJ sarcastically says.

Notable Use of Music: The Country and Western songs are performed by Larry Gatlin, though Rick, as "Rick Cheyenne", sings an improvised tune possibly called "Get Me Out of Here, AJ."

An icy-sounding synth cue is heard briefly when Greenwood enters The Corral to con information out of Joanie. A fuller, fleshed-out version of this cue is heard when Greenwood attempts to take young Jason away.

Mournful chimey-sounding piece of music is heard when Jim, Jason, and Joanie are reunited by the Simons.

A fiddle is impressively matched up with hard electric guitar in the chase music heard when Bonnie and Jason escape from Ellis' goons.

Memorable Dialogue: Jim Henderson: [Singing]"A few years ago/by the San Diego Bay/a woman raised two boys/different as night and day/Rick he is the rebel/he always wears a hat/AJ is the quiet one/but don't be fooled by that...

“...lose your dog/lose your wife/Rick and AJ will save your life/they can track a man/that's never been tracked/they can crack a case/that can't be cracked/AJ and Rick/so tough and smart/they've got brains, guts, and hearrrrrt."

Undercover Shtick: Rick as Country music singer Rick Cheyenne, complete in fringed vest and boots getup, and AJ as Colonel Sanders--"The Other Colonel Sanders." AJ adopts what comes off like a Southern Belle accent and wears a large cowboy hat. The Simons even pay a random woman $20.00 to act as though she were an enthusiastic fan of Rick Cheyenne's, who, according to AJ's Other Colonel Sanders, "is the hottest thing in six counties in Texas."

They also use this shtick when buying prescription medications from Dr. Montana and obtaining evidence used to help Jim. Rick harasses Montana's nurse, chasing her around the office and with her gone, rifles through the patient files for info on Bonnie Henderson. Meanwhile, AJ deals with the doctor. The Simons wear these ridiculous outfits for roughly the last half of the episode.

Flubs: Continuity- Greenwood falls down on his side in the dirt, but when he gets up, his entire back is covered with dust.

1980s-ness: Joanie wears a cowgirl-style outfit of denim miniskirt, hat, and gingham blouse at her job in The Corral. In the opening scene at his house, AJ once again wears the grey, black, and white short-sleeve shirt. Later on he is seen in a blue-grey Members Only-style windbreaker. AJ mentions that even small towns have MTV on their cable systems. In the same conversation, when Rick tells AJ "You learn a lot in two months on the road." To which AJ sarcastically replies, "Thank you, Charles Kuralt!"

San Diego References: Rick mentions that Carlos' surprise is waiting for AJ at an "old, burned-out gas station on the corner of 4th and B. You know, the one with all the hook ruts and the Panda Bears and stuff?"

~Tom Selleck