Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Mr. Greene
Rear Admiral

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#166 Post by Mr. Greene »

this was the best thursday night line up ever first Magnum, p.i. then right after that Simon & Simon. and growing up in San Diego it was even better since I could see some familiar sights when they came down to film. I remember meeting Gerald McRaney in 1984 while on vacation in Hawaii with my parents at the Polynesian Cultural Center, he was there with his wife and kids and was gracious to sign an autograph for me and take a picture as well. just found that pic while moving so it is up in the office now.

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#167 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Little Garwood wrote:
Rembrandt's Girl wrote: I bought season one from amazon (and now I have the dvds if hulu pulls it.) Anyway, I watched the first episode last night and I really enjoyed it, especially the lighthearted, comedic aspect. Second ep tonight! :D
In the S1 Simon & Simon episode Double Entry (sadly, that is the episode's title), did you notice Rick Simon's more detailed "Will Kill Pest Control" routine, which would reappear on Magnum's Ki'i's Don't Lie episode.
I'm fairly sure that A.J. wore the "Pepsi" Rolex before Thomas. Not 100%, but pretty certain.
Hey LG,

I haven't gotten to that ep yet but I'll look for his routine when I get there. :D

Regarding the Pepsi, AJ was wearing it in the first episode which aired in November 1981, so yes he did wear it before TM since "Home From the Sea" aired in September 1983.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#168 Post by Little Garwood »

Wow, so A.J. wore the Pepsi Rolex as early as the frst episode. I wonder if Jameson Parker is a Rolex enthusiast like Tom. Perhaps they "traded fours" during the filming of the crossover adventure! After all, filming was delayed due to inclement weather.

On another costume-related note, here's another cap of Rick in his black Aloha shirt:

"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#169 Post by Little Garwood »

I found a much better photo of Rick's "Jungle Bird"[sic] Aloha shirt, from the S7 Simon & Simon episode, Baja, Humbug.

Looks like Imgur is the site I should join in order to post photos again.

BTW, a recurring "theme" in Simon & Simon is the Simon brothers being thrown out of boats at sea. I'm considering adding it as a category in my episode reviews!

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#170 Post by Sam »

[quote="Little Garwood"]I found a much better photo of Rick's "Jungle Bird"[sic] Aloha shirt, from the S7 [i]Simon & Simon[/i] episode, [url=https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0700873/reference][b]Baja, Humbug[/b][/url].

Looks like Imgur is the site I should join in order to post photos again.

BTW, a recurring "theme" in [i]Simon & Simon[/i] is the Simon brothers being thrown out of boats at sea. I'm considering adding it as a category in my episode reviews![/quote]

Hi LG
I dont think it's the same shirt..

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... vLxT5yw%3D

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#171 Post by Little Garwood »

Sam wrote:Hi LG
I dont think it's the same shirt..
Do you mean not the same as the one Rick wears in "The Third Eye", or not the same as Magnum's?

I know it's not the same as TM's, and if it's not the same as the one he wears in "The Third Eye", I'd still be happy to have either of those!

Thanks for checking in on this thread!

~Tom Selleck

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#172 Post by Sam »

Hi LG..
It is a different shirt from "The Third Eye" I guess I misunderstood I thought you were saying you found a better picture of the parrot shirt from The Third Eye.. the shirt from your original question

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#173 Post by Little Garwood »

Sam wrote:Hi LG..
It is a different shirt from "The Third Eye" I guess I misunderstood I thought you were saying you found a better picture of the parrot shirt from The Third Eye.. the shirt from your original question
You're right, Sam. I just put on the two episodes back-to-back, and they are indeed different shirts...

...and of course, I must have them! :D

Another Aloha shirt Rick wears in Baja Humbug is what looks to be a Flamingo Aloha shirt on what my wife is calling seafoam green background. I believe I'll pass on that one.

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#174 Post by Little Garwood »

Little Garwood wrote:I found a much better photo of Rick's "Jungle Bird"[sic] Aloha shirt, from the S7 Simon & Simon episode, Baja, Humbug.
Watched Baja Humbug to get a better look at the shirt Rick wears, and the pattern on it resembles various different fishing lines:

This begs the question: Does this even qualify it as an Aloha shirt, or is it just a sportsman or fisherman's shirt? There's nothing remitely Hawaiian about it, from what I can tell.
Last edited by Little Garwood on Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#175 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:I found a much better photo of Rick's "Jungle Bird"[sic] Aloha shirt, from the S7 Simon & Simon episode, Baja, Humbug.
Watched Baja Humbug to get a better look at the shirt Rick wears, and the pattern on it resembles various different fishing lines. This begs the question: Does this even qualify it as an Aloha shirt, or is it just a sportsman or fisherman's shirt? There's nothing remitely Hawaiian about it, from what I can tell.
Is there some sort of criteria that makes one an Aloha shirt? I'll bet there are some aficionados around the internet somewhere.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#176 Post by Little Garwood »

That's a good question, Styles. I did a bit of reading over at Hawaiian Shirt Dude, which helps clarify things somewhat, but not entirely.

However, I did find an interesting article about Hunter S. Thompson which states that the good doctor wore an Aloha (or Acapulco) shirt with fishing lures on it.* Perhaps Rick Simon wore an Acapulco shirt as a nod to Hunter S. Thompson.

As a matter of fact, the Simonverse connected with the Gonzo world of Hunter S. Thompson at least twice. Series creator Philip DeGuere was a Bay Area kind of guy, and was involved with The Grateful Dead. DeGuere would slip in little countercultural things, even if they barely registered with the audience, like the nods to HST. There's the aforementioned fishing lure shirt, and second, Joe Mantegna's Gonzo-journalist-for-Rolling Stone-magazine, and Aloha shirt-wearing Henry Benson in Emeralds are Not a Girl's Best Friend.

*Correction: Hunter S. Thompson wore a shirt made of fishing lures! :shock:

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#177 Post by Little Garwood »

Rick wears a black version of his "Fishing Lures" shirt in Desperately Seeking Dacody (S7). Gerald McRaney's future wife, Delta Burke, guest stars in the episode.

Found a June, 1985 Chicago Tribune Simon & Simon article which captures the series at its ratings peak, but which would soon plummet, thanks to changing television show tastes. *Cue "death of childhood."*

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#178 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:Rick wears a black version of his "Fishing Lures" shirt in Desperately Seeking Dacody (S7). Gerald McRaney's future wife, Delta Burke, guest stars in the episode.

Found a June, 1985 Chicago Tribune Simon & Simon article which captures the series at its ratings peak, but which would soon plummet, thanks to changing television show tastes. *Cue "death of childhood."*
Great article. Thanks for sharing Garwood. I hadn't thought of it as an Odd Couple type show. I expect that's a common theme in a lot of successful shows...Magnum and Higgins, for example.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#179 Post by Little Garwood »

Despite being such a long-running and popular series, there's a paucity of vintage material to be found online (ditto for MPI), outside of eBay, that is.

Will post more S&S articles as I find them. I still need to find a suitable image host...

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#180 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:Will post more S&S articles as I find them. I still need to find a suitable image host...
I've used this one and it's pretty simple! https://imgbb.com/

- J.Q.H.