Simon & Simon DVDs

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Re: Simon & Simon DVDs

#76 Post by J.J. Walters »

I thought she was looking pretty good in Emeralds. I quite like the hair myself. She's gorgeous! :)

Anybody remember Street Hawk? She was good in that, too.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#77 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:I've always wanted to see the uncut Pirate's Key and wish it had been included in one of the DVD sets. As it exists currently in the two-part episode, it's one of my favorites of the entire series.
Same here. A great PI adventure. Anybody know if it was it ever aired anywhere?
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Little Garwood »

An interesting bit of trivia is that Jeannie Wilson reunited with her two Simon & Simon co-stars three times. Twice in the series: in the S&S season six episode Lost Lady, which I haven't seen yet, the 1995 S&S reunion movie, Simon & Simon: In Trouble Again, and perhaps most interestingly, the 1986 low-budget film Jackals aka American Justice.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#79 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Just some thoughts as I work my way through Season 3. I just watched episode 13 "John Doe" and you can see how the show's tone is changing with the introduction of Downtown Brown. Myron is clearly gone and this new connection in the police force creates a new tone. I like it and I can see it creating some cool plot twists - particularly because of Brown's wildcard personality (you never know if he's on the side of the Simon's or just a cop). As far as I can tell, this episode is the first to give Downtown Brown his own "theme" in the form of a funky urban Sly and the Family Stone type track at one point when he pulls up in his car. It's noticeable because it's so different from the typical S&S mood music. Maybe a bit cliché ("the black guy music"), but it works.

It's interesting how they've introduced Brown, with his first appearance in episode 7 "Caught Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" and then he's not around and now it seems he's a regular. I wonder what order they filmed the episodes in this season versus the air dates. The change feels a bit abrupt to me.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#80 Post by Little Garwood »

Even though I have the entire series on DVD, I cannot for the life of me find the episode where Rick comedically feigns a heart attack in a dark hotel lobby while A.J. sneaks behind the desk, breaks into the hotel safe, and swipes a brief case. It's an episode from somewhere between seasons 2-4. It's driving me nuts that I can't find it. Help!
Styles Bitchley wrote:Just some thoughts as I work my way through Season 3. I just watched episode 13 "John Doe" and you can see how the show's tone is changing with the introduction of Downtown Brown. Myron is clearly gone and this new connection in the police force creates a new tone. I like it and I can see it creating some cool plot twists - particularly because of Brown's wildcard personality (you never know if he's on the side of the Simon's or just a cop). As far as I can tell, this episode is the first to give Downtown Brown his own "theme" in the form of a funky urban Sly and the Family Stone type track at one point when he pulls up in his car. It's noticeable because it's so different from the typical S&S mood music. Maybe a bit cliché ("the black guy music"), but it works.
I'm on S6 and wait until you see Town's wardrobe! His shirts become increasingly loud and garish, with colors that should be outlawed by nature. Heck, his Venus Flytrap character on WKRP in Cincinnati would say that Marcel Proust Brown needs to tone it down a little bit!

In other S&S-wardrobe-related news, even Rick Simon's classic duds are taking a hit. He wears those Higgins-style safari shorts with the high waistband in the episode The Rookie.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#81 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:Even though I have the entire series on DVD, I cannot for the life of me find the episode where Rick comedically feigns a heart attack in a dark hotel lobby while A.J. sneaks behind the desk, breaks into the hotel safe, and swipes a brief case. It's an episode from somewhere between seasons 2-4. It's driving me nuts that I can't find it. Help!
Sounds familiar. I've watched it recently. I think there was a scene like that in Bon Voyage, Alonso (the one when the cruise ship is hijacked). But that's on the ship, not in a hotel lobby.

- J.Q.H.

Robert
Lieutenant

#82 Post by Robert »

Thanks for the info, I've been waiting on this news for a while.

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#83 Post by Dave Anderson »

Little Garwood wrote:Even though I have the entire series on DVD, I cannot for the life of me find the episode where Rick comedically feigns a heart attack in a dark hotel lobby while A.J. sneaks behind the desk, breaks into the hotel safe, and swipes a brief case. It's an episode from somewhere between seasons 2-4. It's driving me nuts that I can't find it. Help!
I can picture the scene in my head right now, but I don't have the whole series memorized by episode. I'll see what I can find out. I can clearly remember the scene.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by Little Garwood »

The aforementioned 1986 film Jackals (aka American Justice) is on YouTube. Starring Simon & Simon's Jameson Parker, Gerald McRaney, and Jeannie Wilson. Jameson Parker was co-producer of this tough, gritty little film.

Here's its pretty awesome poster:

It'd be pretty easy to imagine that poster on the wall of many a video rental store, circa 1986-87.
Last edited by Little Garwood on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#85 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:The aforementioned 1986 film Jackals (aka American Justice) is on YouTube. Starring Simon & Simon's Jameson Parker, Gerald McRaney, and Jeannie Wilson. Jameson Parker was co-producer of this tough, gritty little film.
Thanks man!

- J.Q.H.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#86 Post by Little Garwood »

This hilarious 1982 Battle of the Network Stars spotlights the obstacle course competition between Jameson Parker and "Little Ricky Schroeder." Howard Cosell calls the action. :D

~Tom Selleck

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#87 Post by Little Garwood »

Dave Anderson wrote:
I can picture the scene in my head right now, but I don't have the whole series memorized by episode. I'll see what I can find out. I can clearly remember the scene.
Mystery solved! It's A Little Wine with Murder?, from season four.

~Tom Selleck

Styles Bitchley

#88 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Little Garwood wrote:This hilarious 1982 Battle of the Network Stars spotlights the obstacle course competition between Jameson Parker and "Little Ricky Schroeder." Howard Cosell calls the action. :D
This led me to some binge watching of clips from BNS. Sure was a different entertainment world back then.

- J.Q.H.

Majordomo
Vice Admiral

#89 Post by Majordomo »

Hulu had all of the Simon & Simon episodes available a year or two ago. then they pulled them. I was so disappointed because I was halfway through the series...
"Don't hand me that wretched understatement. I was bloody marvelous."

Styles Bitchley

#90 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Its interesting how weak Simon and Simon started in the first season, compared to the following seasons. The writing and structure of the show just got so much better in the second season and the trend continues in the third. Even that theme song from the first season - man it's a stinker! The lyrics (played during the end credits) are so cheesy!

A big contrast to Magnum, which really hits the ground running in the first season. Things evolve over the show's run, but S&S really went through some structural changes. I wonder if it was budget related? Did they decide that there really was something there and they needed to hire some better writers? I wonder who was responsible for leading the changes?

- J.Q.H.