The Rockford Files

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

Re: The Rockford Files

#286 Post by Pahonu »

The John Thomas James pseudonym was derived from his three son’s names. Earlier in his career he used other pseudonyms for his television writing. His first film scripts were in his name, but after HUAC and the Hollywood 10, he began using these pseudonyms. There are many films and television series with pseudonym credits because of the Red Scare. It destroyed the careers of many people who had committed no crimes. This was one method of trying to survive amidst the paranoia.

I highly recommend Ed Robertson’s book.

https://www.amazon.com/45-Years-Rockfor ... 1949802167

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#287 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:05 pm The John Thomas James pseudonym was derived from his three son’s names. Earlier in his career he used other pseudonyms for his television writing. His first film scripts were in his name, but after HUAC and the Hollywood 10, he began using these pseudonyms. There are many films and television series with pseudonym credits because of the Red Scare. It destroyed the careers of many people who had committed no crimes. This was one method of trying to survive amidst the paranoia.

I don't get it. The Red Scare was in the 50s. Why was Huggins still using a pseudonym in the 70s?

Pahonu

#288 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:32 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:05 pm The John Thomas James pseudonym was derived from his three son’s names. Earlier in his career he used other pseudonyms for his television writing. His first film scripts were in his name, but after HUAC and the Hollywood 10, he began using these pseudonyms. There are many films and television series with pseudonym credits because of the Red Scare. It destroyed the careers of many people who had committed no crimes. This was one method of trying to survive amidst the paranoia.

I don't get it. The Red Scare was in the 50s. Why was Huggins still using a pseudonym in the 70s?
The first HUAC meeting and the Hollywood 10 were actually in the late 40’s and the blacklist wasn’t broken until the early 60’s. Some writers simply never went back to using their names. I’m sure there were myriad personal reasons after so many years.

Most people know about Dalton Trumbo, but another good example is Gordon Kahn. His almost 20-year career as a screenwriter was ended in 1949 by the blacklist. When he moved to New England and began writing articles for magazines under a pseudonym, he was followed every day by the FBI for several years, even down to Mexico.

His son was a journalist and made an excellent documentary about how it affected his family called The Day the Cold War Came Home. He also made a multi-part NPR series on the topic. He died in the 60’s still using the pseudonym even though everyone knew he was the author.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#289 Post by T.Q. »

The Countess

Good episode.

At the risk of offending all the diehards, The Rockford Files is not grabbing me like H50 did.

I like it so far, after 4 episodes, but I'm not hooked as of yet.
Last edited by T.Q. on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu

#290 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:35 pm The Countess

Good episode.

At the risk all offending all the diehards, The Rockford Files is not grabbing me like H50 did.

I largely agree with you. I feel it took a while to really get comfortable with all the characters and I like later seasons more. That said, I think the second half of season 1 is better than the first and it really picks up with the two-parter about midway through. I do like The Big Ripoff and Tall Woman in a Red Wagon from the first half.

Fleet Admiral

#291 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:14 pm

The first HUAC meeting and the Hollywood 10 were actually in the late 40’s and the blacklist wasn’t broken until the early 60’s. Some writers simply never went back to using their names. I’m sure there were myriad personal reasons after so many years.

Most people know about Dalton Trumbo, but another good example is Gordon Kahn. His almost 20-year career as a screenwriter was ended in 1949 by the blacklist. When he moved to New England and began writing articles for magazines under a pseudonym, he was followed every day by the FBI for several years, even down to Mexico.

His son was a journalist and made an excellent documentary about how it affected his family called The Day the Cold War Came Home. He also made a multi-part NPR series on the topic. He died in the 60’s still using the pseudonym even though everyone knew he was the author.
I still don't understand. Roy Huggins used his own real name as producer on MAVERICK (in the 1950s!) and ROCKFORD in the 70s. You can clearly see "Roy Huggins Production" at the end of every episode. So why use a pseudonym for his writing? I doubt he was hiding from anyone. His name was out there in the open. He was a big-time producer. Was producing a show considered fine but writing for one was not?

Fleet Admiral

#292 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:35 pm The Countess

Good episode.

At the risk of offending all the diehards, The Rockford Files is not grabbing me like H50 did.

Yep, this was another good episode. Not great, but good.

Not hooked yet? I don't think you will be. Not like with Five-O anyway. :D There's nothing like "Hookman" or the Vashon trilogy anywhere on the horizon, that's for sure. :(

Let's put it another way -- I wouldn't even bother building a bamboo cage if we disagreed about episodes on this show. :lol:

Pahonu

#293 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:35 pm

I still don't understand. Roy Huggins used his own real name as producer on MAVERICK (in the 1950s!) and ROCKFORD in the 70s. You can clearly see "Roy Huggins Production" at the end of every episode. So why use a pseudonym for his writing? I doubt he was hiding from anyone. His name was out there in the open. He was a big-time producer. Was producing a show considered fine but writing for one was not?
I don’t know exactly why this personal decision about writing was made by him, but he had experienced this tumultuous time, and he initially used his name as a writer. It wasn’t any kind of secret by the 70’s, but he was not the only one from the era to make the same decision. I’m not going to question his decision.

I do know that the vast majority of those black listed were writers and directors, the so called creative types, and some actors. Producers, or the “bean counter” suit wearing types, were largely “friendly”. I don’t mean to be political in that comment, but those with significant financial investments in the industry tended to cooperate with the committee and name names, like Walt Disney, Louis B Mayer, etc…. Those who contracted with them as creative types often took a stance against the hysteria that was building and didn’t cooperate. These are generalizations of course, but largely accurate I believe.

When the Motion Picture Academy awarded screenwriter Elia Kazan a lifetime achievement award at the Oscars back in 1999, many in the audience refused to stand or applaud him because he had cooperated with HUAC and named people who he had been members with him in the communist party. After testifying, he was rewarded with a nice studio contract and other’s careers were ruined. There were still many around who had lived through it back then. I remember watching with my wife and explaining to her what was happening during the ceremony.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Fleet Admiral

#294 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:41 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:35 pm

I don’t know exactly why this personal decision about writing was made by him, but he had experienced this tumultuous time, and he initially used his name as a writer. It wasn’t any kind of secret by the 70’s, but he was not the only one from the era to make the same decision. I’m not going to question his decision.

I do know that the vast majority of those black listed were writers and directors, the so called creative types, and some actors. Producers, or the “bean counter” suit wearing types, were largely “friendly”. I don’t mean to be political in that comment, but those with significant financial investments in the industry tended to cooperate with the committee and name names, like Walt Disney, Louis B Mayer, etc…. Those who contracted with them as creative types often took a stance against the hysteria that was building and didn’t cooperate. These are generalizations of course, but largely accurate I believe.

When the Motion Picture Academy awarded screenwriter Elia Kazan a lifetime achievement award at the Oscars back in 1999, many in the audience refused to stand or applaud him because he had cooperated with HUAC and named people who he had been members with him in the communist party. After testifying, he was rewarded with a nice studio contract and other’s careers were ruined. There were still many around who had lived through it back then. I remember watching with my wife and explaining to her what was happening during the ceremony.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
Not that I'm any kind of fan of Elia Kazan's (he was a Commie after all, plus his films are overrated) but good on him for naming names. Any Commie that gets exposed is a good thing. The less of them in this country, the better. If history has taught as anything it's that Communism is baaaaaad. No if's, and's, or but's about it. If Kazan finked on his own then it makes him a rat. But that's okay because I have no sympathy for him or his kind that get ratted on. The only downside is that Kazan still had a career himself after being exposed as a Commie. But I guess that's what happens when you strike a deal.

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#295 Post by Chris109 »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:31 pm

I don’t know exactly why this personal decision about writing was made by him, but he had experienced this tumultuous time, and he initially used his
Not that I'm any kind of fan of Elia Kazan's (he was a Commie after all, plus his films are overrated) but good on him for naming names. Any Commie that gets exposed is a good thing. The less of them in this country, the better. If history has taught as anything it's that Communism is baaaaaad. No if's, and's, or but's about it. If Kazan finked on his own then it makes him a rat. But that's okay because I have no sympathy for him or his kind that get ratted on. The only downside is that Kazan still had a career himself after being exposed as a Commie. But I guess that's what happens when you strike a deal.

Lot of wonderful things written into our constitution that were meant for honest decent citizens. I resent the fact that it can be used and abused by the very people who want to destroy it.---Big Jim McLain (1952) played by John Wayne 🤠

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#296 Post by T.Q. »

Exit Prentiss Carr

Liked it.

Good interplay between Jim and the police.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#297 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:26 pm Exit Prentiss Carr

Liked it.

Good interplay between Jim and the police.
Yep, really like this one too. The back-and-forth with the dogged cops is definitely the highlight! :D Warren Kemmerling and Mills Watson (the latter made several more appearances on the show) are great in their parts. Corinne Michaels was in the MPI episode "The Sixth Position". As always, I like the lengthy stakeout scenes and Jimbo rummaging through someone's room. Feels kinda noirish here. I like how he finds the dead body and then alerts the cops anonymously but makes sure they don't know he was there first. Classic Jimbo!

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#298 Post by Little Garwood »

Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:14 pmThe first HUAC meeting and the Hollywood 10 were actually in the late 40’s and the blacklist wasn’t broken until the early 60’s. Some writers simply never went back to using their names. I’m sure there were myriad personal reasons after so many years.

Rockford Files Producer Meta Rosenberg was a "friendly" witness to HUAC.

From (the all-knowing, infallible) Wikipedia:

"In April 1951 she testified before the House Un-American Activities Committee as a friendly witness, identifying other party members whom she had seen at party meetings. Among the names she put forward were actress Dorothy Tree and her husband Michael Uris, writer Francis Faragoh, agent George Willner, screenwriter Madeleine Ruthven, artist Edward Biberman, and screenwriter Carlton Moss.

"Rosenberg's decision to supply names to HUAC led to social ostracism and derision from former friends. Nunnally Johnson sent her a telegram stating, "I trust this will convince you that politics is no business for a fetching girl. Politics is for flat-chested girls." On another occasion she was derided as a "stool pigeon" while walking down La Cienega Boulevard. Her former friend Dalton Trumbo criticized her for having named names selectively: "[She] behaved like most informers when called before HUAC: she gave the names of communists she probably did not like, and withheld the names of communists she probably did like.
"

Remember what our parents used to tell us? "Finish your dinner! There are people starving in China!" That's because Chairman Mao starved between 15-55 million of his own people to death between 1959-61.

Whatever the case, nothing--not even their mass-murdering deeds--can sully the name and reputation of communism; it boggles the mind.

Ever watch that cringworthy Oscars "tribute" to Elia Kazan from 1999? Half of the audience sat with their arms folded, and presenter Martin Scorsese practically hid behind Kazan during the latter's acceptance speech. As embarassing as the entire debacle was, it's infinitely braver than anything the elitist, hypocritical, bubble-dwelling, "do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do" Hollywood crowd would ever put together in these "more enlightened" times.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Chris109
Fleet Admiral

#299 Post by Chris109 »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:44 pm
Remember what our parents used to tell us? "Finish your dinner! There are people starving in China!" That's because Chairman Mao starved between 15-55 million of his own people to death between 1959-61.

I wish I could remember the cartoon strip (60s-70s), but, there was one where a kid didn't finish his dinner, mother said "There are people starving in China". Last frame is of the kid getting whacked in the head when he said, "Well, why don't you pack it up and send it to them?"

Maybe this was real life for me. Y'all know I'm a smart-ass. :shock:

Pahonu

#300 Post by Pahonu »

Little Garwood wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:44 pm
Pahonu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:14 pmThe first HUAC meeting and the Hollywood 10 were actually in the late 40’s and the blacklist wasn’t broken until the early 60’s. Some writers simply never went back to using their names. I’m sure there were myriad personal reasons after so many years.

Rockford Files Producer Meta Rosenberg was a "friendly" witness to HUAC.

From (the all-knowing, infallible) Wikipedia:

"In April 1951 she testified before the House Un-American Activities Committee as a friendly witness, identifying other party members whom she had seen at party meetings. Among the names she put forward were actress Dorothy Tree and her husband Michael Uris, writer Francis Faragoh, agent George Willner, screenwriter Madeleine Ruthven, artist Edward Biberman, and screenwriter Carlton Moss.

"Rosenberg's decision to supply names to HUAC led to social ostracism and derision from former friends. Nunnally Johnson sent her a telegram stating, "I trust this will convince you that politics is no business for a fetching girl. Politics is for flat-chested girls." On another occasion she was derided as a "stool pigeon" while walking down La Cienega Boulevard. Her former friend Dalton Trumbo criticized her for having named names selectively: "[She] behaved like most informers when called before HUAC: she gave the names of communists she probably did not like, and withheld the names of communists she probably did like.
"

Whatever the case, nothing--not even their mass-murdering deeds--can sully the name and reputation of communism; it boggles the mind.

Ever watch that cringworthy Oscars "tribute" to Elia Kazan from 1999? Half of the audience sat with their arms folded, and presenter Martin Scorsese practically hid behind Kazan during the latter's acceptance speech. As embarassing as the entire debacle was, it's infinitely braver than anything the elitist, hypocritical, bubble-dwelling, "do-as-I-say, not-as-I-do" Hollywood crowd would ever put together in these "more enlightened" times.
I comment on the Kazan speech in above posts.

I had also read about Meta Rosenberg. Her behavior was not atypical of those trying to save their careers, sadly.

I think the detail that most people lose sight of today is that people had their careers destroyed and lives ruined having committed no crimes of any kind. A large number who were named and blacklisted were not party members or active supporters, but rather liberal ideologically. When those who refused to cooperate by naming names pointed out that being a member of any political party is not criminal, they were punished or jailed.

The bottom line is that people were being punished for their ideas and beliefs rather than any actions. Should being a member of the Dixiecrats have been made illegal? Or the Klan? Most today find the ideas of those groups repugnant, but are ideas illegal? Who then gets to be the idea police? If they commit some criminal act and harm people or property based on those beliefs, that is a different circumstance. Punishing thoughts and ideas seems far more un-American to me personally.

Truman’s quote from the era is powerful:
“When even one American - who has done nothing wrong - is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth - then all Americans are in peril.”

It’s also important to remember that the investigation by the House began with questioning the propaganda films made during WWII supporting the USSR… our ally in defeating Hitler and Naziism. Certainly it was an alliance of convenience not ideology, but we sent the Soviets massive amounts of weapons during the war, but Hollywood propaganda films commissioned by the war-time government were the real threat? The emerging Cold War dynamics led to a growing panic in the US. Fear can be very powerful and can lead to irrational decisions and behaviors. HUAC was a manifestation of that fear.

Even Eisenhower weighed in on the danger of censoring unpopular ideas, written or otherwise. From his presidential library:
"Don't join the book burners. Don't think you are going to conceal faults by concealing evidence that they ever existed. Don't be afraid to go in your library and read every book, as long as that document does not offend our own ideas of decency. That should be the only censorship."

This was from 1953, in the midst of the fear and near the end of fighting in Korea.

Another Truman quote to consider:
“I've said many a time that I think the Un-American Activities Committee in the House of Representatives was the most un-American thing in America!”