Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1801 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:40 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:49 am I hadn't seen the last two seasons of Hawaii Five-O since it went off the air 40 years ago. Thankfully freevee is now running them.
I have previously seen the last episode "Death to Wo Fat" in the abbreviated TV package that airs on H & I network, so I am all caught up now after watching
the next to last (18th) episode, "The Moroville Covenant".

I was hoping "The Moroville Covenant" would disprove  Ivan's poor opinion of season 12  but no go.
As well Mike Quigley's fiveohomepage.com gave it no stars.

However I was floored to find in the end credits that the frumpy bag of bones 'Eva' character was played by one time sexpot Diane McBain of Surfside 6 fame
who wasn't even 40 when this was filmed. 
The make up guy must be a master at his craft to make Diane look like something the dog dragged in.

As well the Hawaiian Eye, Hawaii Five-O and Magnum PI veteran Paul Burke guest stars, he was also the lead on the overlooked gem 12 O'Clock High.

Paul Burke was the star from the 2nd season on of Naked City, one of the finest written series of all time, it's "Sweet Prince of Delancey Street" episode
is on TV Guide's 100 Best Episodes of All Time list.
His love interest co-star on that series was  -  the often confused with Lois Nettleton - Nancy Malone.
In later years she was best known for marrying Bob Hope's daughter Linda.

This Friday April 5th is the  44th  anniversary of "Death to Wo Fat", it aired at 9 PM on a Thursday.
That last episode seems to me to be a take off on 1930's movie staple Fu Manchu, and on that level with it's lowered expectations it works.
It's supposed to be tongue in cheek.
After all,the cartoo
nish Wo Fat from the very start was an update of Fu. 
While this episode isn't worthy to be the send off of a beloved series,  I can live with it's silly elements and how it builds to a denouement
that any ten year old kid in a 1930's cinema would recognize. And no doubt one the writers of this episode were harkening back to.
"The Moroville Covenant" is an absolute dog of an episode. A sure cure for insomnia. Just dull as dishwater. Bottom 2 of the entire series (the other being either S12's "The Kahuna" or S10's "Tread the King's Shadow"). But you're right about Diane McBain - never in a million years would I have guessed that she wasn't even 40 yet. I thought she was in her 50s or older for sure! I sure was repulsed by her. The make-up guy must have earned his paycheck there.

"Woe to Wo Fat" is a better episode than I originally thought. It's comic-book alright but in that realm it works pretty well. At least it's not dull like the preceding "Morbid-ville Covenant". The Morton Stevens score helps and the Robin's Nest locale is a major plus.
Ivan,
I'm glad we concur on "Woe to Wo Fat". I respect Mike's outstanding site fiveohomepage.com but I think he might have gotten so overwhelmed by the 12th season's too often banal treatment
of our Hawaii Five-O that he, like us, didn't at first consider any of the last episode's possible merits.
Plus it had lovely Patricia Crowley, who I fell in love with watching the mid 1960's "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", she then causing all of my friends to wonder why none of the moms in the neighborhood
didn't look like her.
I would also note regarding the 12th season, I grew to like Duke and quite appreciated big guy "Truck"(Moe Kealoha) and "James Carew"(William Smith) and underused "Lori" (Sharon Farrell").
If the scripts had been better and the budget not slashed they could have been a good support act for Jack Lord.

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#1802 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:28 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:49 am I hadn't seen the last two seasons of Hawaii Five-O since it went off the air 40 years ago. Thankfully freevee is now running them.
I have previously seen the last episode "Death to Wo Fat" in the abbreviated TV package that airs on H & I network, so I am all caught up now after watching

I was hoping "The Moroville Covenant" would disprove  Ivan's poor opinion of season 12  but no go.

However I was floored to find in the end credits that the frumpy bag of bones 'Eva' character was played by one time sexpot Diane McBain of Surfside 6 fame
The make up guy must be a master at his craft to make Diane look like something the dog dragged in.

As well the Hawaiian Eye, Hawaii Five-O and Magnum PI veteran Paul Burke guest stars, he was also the lead on the overlooked gem 12 O'Clock High.

Paul Burke was the star from the 2nd season on of Naked City, one of the finest written series of all time, it's "Sweet Prince of Delancey Street" episode
His love interest co-star on that series was  -  the often confused with Lois Nettleton - Nancy Malone.

This Friday April 5th is the  44th  anniversary of "Death to Wo Fat", it aired at 9 PM on a Thursday.
That last episode seems to me to be a take off on 1930's movie staple Fu Manchu, and on that level with it's lowered expectations it works.
After all,the cartoo
nish Wo Fat from the very start was an update of Fu. 
While this episode isn't worthy to be the send off of a beloved series,  I can live with it's silly elements and how it builds to a denouement
that any ten year old kid in a 1930's cinema would recognize. And no doubt one the writers of this episode were harkening back to.
"The Moroville Covenant" is an absolute dog of an episode. A sure cure for insomnia. Just dull as dishwater. Bottom 2 of the entire series (the other being either S12's "The Kahuna" or S10's "Tread the King's Shadow"). But you're right about Diane McBain - never in a million years would I have guessed that she wasn't even 40 yet. I thought she was in her 50s or older for sure! I sure was repulsed by her. The make-up guy must have earned his paycheck there.

"Woe to Wo Fat" is a better episode than I originally thought. It's comic-book alright but in that realm it works pretty well. At least it's not dull like the preceding "Morbid-ville Covenant". The Morton Stevens score helps and the Robin's Nest locale is a major plus.
Ivan,
I'm glad we concur on "Woe to Wo Fat". I respect Mike's outstanding site fiveohomepage.com but I think he might have gotten so overwhelmed by the 12th season's too often banal treatment
of our Hawaii Five-O that he, like us, didn't at first consider any of the last episode's possible merits.
Plus it had lovely Patricia Crowley, who I fell in love with watching the mid 1960's "Please Don't Eat the Daisies", she then causing all of my friends to wonder why none of the moms in the neighborhood
didn't look like her.
I would also note regarding the 12th season, I grew to like Duke and quite appreciated big guy "Truck"(Moe Kealoha) and "James Carew"(William Smith) and underused "Lori" (Sharon Farrell").
If the scripts had been better and the budget not slashed they could have been a good support act for Jack Lord.
Actually I think Mr. Mike gives the series finale a pretty fair shake. He gives it 2 stars which I think is "good" by season 12 standards. I concur with that rating. I couldn't give it anything higher than that. If you look at most of the other episodes that season they're all either 1 star or bombs. So 2 stars is pretty good. He really only rates the first 2 episodes of the season pretty high (with 3 stars!) though I personally think he's being a bit generous, especially with "A Lion in the Streets" which I just never cared for (with the exception of Ross Martin as Tony Alika who's always fun to watch).

Actually my favorite of the season is the vigilante episode with Robert Reed "Though the Heavens Fall", though I know Mr. Mike hates it and gives it a bomb rating. :) But that one just entertains me more than any other from the season (though I struggle to even give that one a solid 3 stars, maybe a weak 3 stars). "The Flight of the Jewels" is another entertaining heist caper (with Jeff Daniels and Kwan Hi Lim at his villainous best). And I also find "Image of Fear" oddly engaging and suspenseful - I keep remembering the dead bird in the cage that moments later is alive and well and chirping away. It's a solid "gaslighting" episode, even though the end reveal that the young brat kid is behind it all is kind of laughable. :lol: Those are my 3 favorites of the season. "Use a Gun, Go to Hell" would get an honorable mention too, though it's basically a rehash of season 7's "Diary of a Gun".

How about you? Any stick out to you from the final season? How about season 11? I don't think you mentioned any from that season. "The Skyline Killer" is a clear winner for me there - the last truly GREAT Five-O episode. Even better than anything from season 10. Did you see a general decline over the last 3 seasons or was it about the same for you? I know at least 1 or 2 people who actually find season 11 superior (maybe edgier?) than season 10. I kinda agree with that a bit though I'm not sure I find it superior overall. But both are superior over season 12. No doubt about that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1803 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:36 am

After all,the cartoonish Wo Fat from the very start was an update of Fu. 

Ivan,
didn't look like her.
Actually I think Mr. Mike gives the series finale a pretty fair shake. He gives it 2 stars which I think is "good" by season 12 standards. I concur with that rating. I couldn't give it anything higher than that. If you look at most of the other episodes that season they're all either 1 star or bombs. So 2 stars is pretty good. He really only rates the first 2 episodes of the season pretty high (with 3 stars!) though I personally think he's being a bit generous, especially with "A Lion in the Streets" which I just never cared for (with the exception of Ross Martin as Tony Alika who's always fun to watch).

Actually my favorite of the season is the vigilante episode with Robert Reed "Though the Heavens Fall", though I know Mr. Mike hates it and gives it a bomb rating. :) But that one just entertains me more than any other from the season (though I struggle to even give that one a solid 3 stars, maybe a weak 3 stars). "The Flight of the Jewels" is another entertaining heist caper (with Jeff Daniels and Kwan Hi Lim at his villainous best). And I also find "Image of Fear" oddly engaging and suspenseful - I keep remembering the dead bird in the cage that moments later is alive and well and chirping away. It's a solid "gaslighting" episode, even though the end reveal that the young brat kid is behind it all is kind of laughable. :lol: Those are my 3 favorites of the season. "Use a Gun, Go to Hell" would get an honorable mention too, though it's basically a rehash of season 7's "Diary of a Gun".

How about you? Any stick out to you from the final season? How about season 11? I don't think you mentioned any from that season. "The Skyline Killer" is a clear winner for me there - the last truly GREAT Five-O episode. Even better than anything from season 10. Did you see a general decline over the last 3 seasons or was it about the same for you? I know at least 1 or 2 people who actually find season 11 superior (maybe edgier?) than season 10. I kinda agree with that a bit though I'm not sure I find it superior overall. But both are superior over season 12. No doubt about that.
Ivan,
I was going to re-watch Magnum PI from the beginning but then the network offering it was suddenly gone.
I believe you mentioned Hawaii Five-O was free on feevee, so I hurried there and was elated to see it had all the episodes, not just seasons 10, 11 and 12, as the various
rerun packages omit episodes, I believe starting in season 8.
So I have been cramming in all the "omitted" episodes, plus when I got to season 10, I was watching 3 episodes a day in case freevee stopped showing the series.
What I am trying to say is I didn't have much time for serious reflection on a given episode, I was reveling in "new" episodes and hoped to soak everything in on the 2nd go around.
Shoot, this is long winded, I'm just saying any opinion I have now could be wrong or very well change after multiple viewings.
I appreciate that about Mr. Mike, he reconsiders and changes his ratings(as you also changed yours) after more viewings. I have never seen a better H50 site than his.
I liked the premise of "Though the Heavens Fall" but felt it needed rewrites, a problem I think plagued the last seasons as a whole because of budget cuts, but that's just my theory,
but it does explain all the the outright dumb moments Mr. Mike has cataloged. All of the writing talent available couldn't suddenly have soured and lost all the old H50 magic.

"The Flight of the Jewels" I actually recalled 40 years on, once I saw it again.
Not bad for a late season entry, and once aware of Kwan Hi Lim the actor I have become quite a fan as I didn't grasp he was also Lt. Tanaka(Magnum PI) until recently.
"Image of Fear", I'm afraid the (seriously miscast actress) rotten kid turning out to be behind everything ruined it for me, it just fell apart.
I liked season 11's "A Long Time Ago" where Danno meets his now gone bad girlfriend from high school, and "The Miracle Man" with the crooked evangelist, but "The Bark and the Bite"
with it's plot device of diamonds in a dog collar was old when the Bowery Boys did it.
Of course its been mentioned before that episode 12 "Number One With A Bullet" is VERY important to the series if only because it explains McGarrett's reasons for becoming a cop, in a
crackerjack scene by actor Jack Lord, his dad having been run down by a hood fleeing a robbery. Just for that one moment its must see for the fan, shame on those jackasses that
make up the various rerun packages for leaving this episode out.
I wish I had jotted down what he said, it really is something every fan should be familiar with. It sounds like it might have been taken from the series "Bible", the book that holds
all the lore plus the reasons that motivate all the characters, reasons that many times are never revealed to the audience but are supposed to be expressed to them through
the screenplays, which I always thought was a bit of a writers conceit thing. It's odd but I have never heard of any series "Bible" being made available to the fans, you'd
think it would be a nice little revenue stream, say for Star Trek, when published in book forrm.

Ivan, you mentioned a 'general decline' over the last 3 seasons and I agree, also about "The Skyline Killer" being great, it's on my top 20 list.

I have a question for you, as my brain is befogged with all these episodes I have been cramming in, in a short time.
Which episode was it did you think would have been a worthy series ender, it ended with Jack Lord way up high on a building overlooking the city?
I recalled agreeing with you, and I want to watch it again as a fitting goodbye after season 12.

Fleet Admiral

#1804 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:31 am

After all,the cartoonish Wo Fat from the very start was an update of Fu. 

Ivan,
didn't look like her.

Ivan,
I was going to re-watch Magnum PI from the beginning but then the network offering it was suddenly gone.
I believe you mentioned Hawaii Five-O was free on feevee, so I hurried there and was elated to see it had all the episodes, not just seasons 10, 11 and 12, as the various
So I have been cramming in all the "omitted" episodes, plus when I got to season 10, I was watching 3 episodes a day in case freevee stopped showing the series.
What I am trying to say is I didn't have much time for serious reflection on a given episode, I was reveling in "new" episodes and hoped to soak everything in on the 2nd go around.
Shoot, this is long winded, I'm just saying any opinion I have now could be wrong or very well change after multiple viewings.
I appreciate that about Mr. Mike, he reconsiders and changes his ratings(as you also changed yours) after more viewings. I have never seen a better H50 site than his.
I liked the premise of "Though the Heavens Fall" but felt it needed rewrites, a problem I think plagued the last seasons as a whole because of budget cuts, but that's just my theory,
but it does explain all the the outright dumb moments Mr. Mike has cataloged. All of the writing talent available couldn't suddenly have soured and lost all the old H50 magic.

"The Flight of the Jewels" I actually recalled 40 years on, once I saw it again.
Not bad for a late season entry, and once aware of Kwan Hi Lim the actor I have become quite a fan as I didn't grasp he was also Lt. Tanaka(Magnum PI) until recently.
"Image of Fear", I'm afraid the (seriously miscast actress) rotten kid turning out to be behind everything ruined it for me, it just fell apart.
I liked season 11's "A Long Time Ago" where Danno meets his now gone bad girlfriend from high school, and "The Miracle Man" with the crooked evangelist, but "The Bark and the Bite"
with it's plot device of diamonds in a dog collar was old when the Bowery Boys did it.
Of course its been mentioned before that episode 12 "Number One With A Bullet" is VERY important to the series if only because it explains McGarrett's reasons for becoming a cop, in a
crackerjack scene by actor Jack Lord, his dad having been run down by a hood fleeing a robbery. Just for that one moment its must see for the fan, shame on those jackasses that
I wish I had jotted down what he said, it really is something every fan should be familiar with. It sounds like it might have been taken from the series "Bible", the book that holds
all the lore plus the reasons that motivate all the characters, reasons that many times are never revealed to the audience but are supposed to be expressed to them through
the screenplays, which I always thought was a bit of a writers conceit thing. It's odd but I have never heard of any series "Bible" being made available to the fans, you'd
think it would be a nice little revenue stream, say for Star Trek, when published in book forrm.

Ivan, you mentioned a 'general decline' over the last 3 seasons and I agree, also about "The Skyline Killer" being great, it's on my top 20 list.

I have a question for you, as my brain is befogged with all these episodes I have been cramming in, in a short time.
Which episode was it did you think would have been a worthy series ender, it ended with Jack Lord way up high on a building overlooking the city?
I recalled agreeing with you, and I want to watch it again as a fitting goodbye after season 12.
Hi Dobie, yeah you're gonna have a hard time rating these episodes if you're cramming them in because you're relying on streaming services. I use streaming services for various shows that I like but that aren't my personal favorites. My very personal favorites I own on DVD. I just feel that if I love something so much and I'll be rewatching it regularly then I gotta own it - need to own a physical copy of it. Obviously I can't own everything that I like (I don't want to be a hoarder) but the essentials I need to own. Especially with how cheap most of these old shows are on DVD. Streaming services remind me of TV in the 90s when I would get really excited about seeing some of my favorite shows being rerun on a local channel (be it Knight Rider or The A-Team or Hawaii Five-O) but basically we were all at the mercy of that local channel. We had no control over anything. We didn't know the order they were airing these episodes or what episodes followed which episodes or what season was being shown (we had no episode guides back in the day) so whatever they showed us is what we watched. And of course we had no way of knowing when they would stop showing our favorites shows. I still remember one day during summer vacation in the mid-90s rushing into the house after playing outside (this was sometime around noon, as I did everyday) and turning on our local FOX affiliate to catch a rerun of Hawaii Five-O only to be shocked to find Star Trek airing in its place. Man, was I bummed! No more Five-O. :( Of course now with DVDs this isn't a problem.

"Number One With a Bullet" to be honest I was never a big fan of. Actually the best thing about it for me is all the Bee-Gees music and songs - really places you in that disco era of the late 70s! You can really rock and groove to this episode's music! :) But the whole business with the mob moving in and taking over the music scene never really hooked me. Good acting, however, by Ross Martin in his debut as Tony Alika and Nehemiah Persoff is great as always as the mobster from the mainland. The "showdown" between McGarrett and Persoff where after the latter gives McG a lot of lip and McG tells him what makes him tick and why he decided to become a cop (because "some bastard like you" ran my father down) is of course a great scene!

And the episode that I always thought should have been the series finale was in fact "The Skyline Killer". Season 12 by and large was a mistake and "Skyline Killer" was the last truly great episode and therefore would have been the perfect send-off for the series. Especially the epic closing of the episode with Jack Lord standing tall high atop the crane overlooking Honolulu as the Five-O theme swells and we get a nice sweep across Waikiki and Diamond Head. Just everything about that scene seemed to suggest a finality to me. Should have been. But wasn't.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1805 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Ivan,
didn't look like her.

Ivan,

Hi Dobie, yeah you're gonna have a hard time rating these episodes if you're cramming them in because you're relying on streaming services. I use streaming services for various shows that I like but that aren't my personal favorites. My very personal favorites I own on DVD. I just feel that if I love something so much and I'll be rewatching it regularly then I gotta own it - need to own a physical copy of it. Obviously I can't own everything that I like (I don't want to be a hoarder) but the essentials I need to own. Especially with how cheap most of these old shows are on DVD. Streaming services remind me of TV in the 90s when I would get really excited about seeing some of my favorite shows being rerun on a local channel (be it Knight Rider or The A-Team or Hawaii Five-O) but basically we were all at the mercy of that local channel. We had no control over anything. We didn't know the order they were airing these episodes or what episodes followed which episodes or what season was being shown (we had no episode guides back in the day) so whatever they showed us is what we watched. And of course we had no way of knowing when they would stop showing our favorites shows. I still remember one day during summer vacation in the mid-90s rushing into the house after playing outside (this was sometime around noon, as I did everyday) and turning on our local FOX affiliate to catch a rerun of Hawaii Five-O only to be shocked to find Star Trek airing in its place. Man, was I bummed! No more Five-O. :( Of course now with DVDs this isn't a problem.

"Number One With a Bullet" to be honest I was never a big fan of. Actually the best thing about it for me is all the Bee-Gees music and songs - really places you in that disco era of the late 70s! You can really rock and groove to this episode's music! :) But the whole business with the mob moving in and taking over the music scene never really hooked me. Good acting, however, by Ross Martin in his debut as Tony Alika and Nehemiah Persoff is great as always as the mobster from the mainland. The "showdown" between McGarrett and Persoff where after the latter gives McG a lot of lip and McG tells him what makes him tick and why he decided to become a cop (because "some bastard like you" ran my father down) is of course a great scene!

And the episode that I always thought should have been the series finale was in fact "The Skyline Killer". Season 12 by and large was a mistake and "Skyline Killer" was the last truly great episode and therefore would have been the perfect send-off for the series. Especially the epic closing of the episode with Jack Lord standing tall high atop the crane overlooking Honolulu as the Five-O theme swells and we get a nice sweep across Waikiki and Diamond Head. Just everything about that scene seemed to suggest a finality to me. Should have been. But wasn't.
Ivan,
I would have have responded sooner but I have been drowning in county government red tape. I was thisclose to asking them "have you ever heard of Chekov's The Death of a Government
Clerk" but thought better of it lest a Jersey version of Danny Williams was summoned to take me away. It was a lousy short story anyway.

Thank you for cluing me in to "The Skyline Killer" being the episode that should have been the series ender. We talked of it before, but as I said I have been cramming in so many episodes that they
all became a blur. I had made a note to myself it was a outstanding episode but then forgot why.
"Number One With a Bullet" did have the Bee Gees music as you said on your DVD but they replaced it with bland filler for the rerun package, the worst, it reminded me of a Staten Island
disco joint I was dragged to once, somebody still owes me for that one.

Regarding your DVD collection of essentials, I do the same with favored series such as Due South, Black Adder, Then Came Bronson.
The only drawback to that is I watched The Maltese Falcon so many times I ruined it, it just became a series of quotes, so now
I restrict a few absolute movie favorites such as The Bank Dick to Yuletide viewings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number One With a Bullet Season 11 Episode 12
McGarrett explains what drove him to be a cop -

"I'll tell you what's in it for me.
When I was 13 years old, I stood in a rainy cemetery one morning, holding my mother's hand, and watched my father's body lowered into a wet grave.
It took my mother 20 years of backbreaking work to bring us up and educate us."

Francis - "Well, uh, everybody dies, McGarrett."

"Yeah, but not at 42.
On his way home from work, three days before that, my father was run down and killed by some bastard like you, who had just held up a supermarket and was making his getaway.
I never even had a chance to say goodbye. Standing in the rain that morning, I knew right then I wanted to be a cop.
And since then, I've had a hundred better reasons.
And each one of them had a name and a face and dirty hands, just like you. So when I tell you to get your tail off this island, mister, you better believe me."

I heisted this quote from Mr. Mike's fiveohomepage.com so thank you Mike. Thanks to Ivan for pointing out that it is the go to resource for all things Hawaii Five-O.

Fleet Admiral

#1806 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:41 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Ivan,
didn't look like her.

Ivan,

Ivan,
I would have have responded sooner but I have been drowning in county government red tape. I was thisclose to asking them "have you ever heard of Chekov's The Death of a Government
Clerk" but thought better of it lest a Jersey version of Danny Williams was summoned to take me away. It was a lousy short story anyway.

Thank you for cluing me in to "The Skyline Killer" being the episode that should have been the series ender. We talked of it before, but as I said I have been cramming in so many episodes that they
all became a blur. I had made a note to myself it was a outstanding episode but then forgot why.
"Number One With a Bullet" did have the Bee Gees music as you said on your DVD but they replaced it with bland filler for the rerun package, the worst, it reminded me of a Staten Island
disco joint I was dragged to once, somebody still owes me for that one.

Regarding your DVD collection of essentials, I do the same with favored series such as Due South, Black Adder, Then Came Bronson.
The only drawback to that is I watched The Maltese Falcon so many times I ruined it, it just became a series of quotes, so now
I restrict a few absolute movie favorites such as The Bank Dick to Yuletide viewings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number One With a Bullet Season 11 Episode 12
McGarrett explains what drove him to be a cop -

"I'll tell you what's in it for me.
When I was 13 years old, I stood in a rainy cemetery one morning, holding my mother's hand, and watched my father's body lowered into a wet grave.
It took my mother 20 years of backbreaking work to bring us up and educate us."

Francis - "Well, uh, everybody dies, McGarrett."

"Yeah, but not at 42.
On his way home from work, three days before that, my father was run down and killed by some bastard like you, who had just held up a supermarket and was making his getaway.
I never even had a chance to say goodbye. Standing in the rain that morning, I knew right then I wanted to be a cop.
And since then, I've had a hundred better reasons.
And each one of them had a name and a face and dirty hands, just like you. So when I tell you to get your tail off this island, mister, you better believe me."

I heisted this quote from Mr. Mike's fiveohomepage.com so thank you Mike. Thanks to Ivan for pointing out that it is the go to resource for all things Hawaii Five-O.
That's a great quote, Dobie! The origins of McGarrett.

Actually when it comes to the Bee Gees music in that episode I may need to double check if it's actually there on my season 11 DVD or whether it's been replaced with filler junk (I so hate that). My memories of this episode's music come from reruns that I used to watch back in the late 90s and early 00s and the Bee Gees was definitely a highlight of the episode. Another season 11 episode "The Execution File" (with Robert Loggia) has the Rod Stewart song replaced on the DVD with some other filler song. That's why I'm wondering if the same is true of "Number One with a Bullet". I know Mr. Mike knows for sure.

Mr. Mike
Commander

#1807 Post by Mr. Mike »

For The Execution File, I did a lengthy anal-ysis of the music, focusing on the scenes where the Rod Stewart song (not sung by him) was used. I actually took the audio from the music scenes in the original broadcast and managed to combine it with the video from the DVD of the show, which was much better quality. The only place where the Stewart song is heard behind some dialog is in the teaser to the show. That was complicated to deal with, because I was not using any sophisticated video editing software. It was tricky to line up the dialog so it was synchronized. Trying to do this was like trying to screw a fly.

https://fiveohomepage.com/season11/exec ... arison.htm

Here is a page which compares the disco music from the original broadcast of Number One With A Bullet compared to what appeared on the DVD because of rights issues:

https://fiveohomepage.com/season11/NOWAB-TV-vs-DVD/

The edit credits of Bullet are as follows:

"Stayin' Alive"
"More Than A Woman"
"Night Fever"
Written and Performed by
Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb,
The Bee Gees

"Manhattan Skyline"
Written by
David Shire

Courtesy of The Stigwood Group, Ltd.

I don't know anything about this Manhattan Skyline piece, where it was in the original broadcast and whether it was also replaced by something else. If you can help me with this, contact me via the e-mail link at the bottom of my H50 WWW page, www.fiveohomepage.com

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1808 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Mr. Mike wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 pm For The Execution File, I did a lengthy anal-ysis of the music, focusing on the scenes where the Rod Stewart song (not sung by him) was used. I actually took the audio from the music scenes in the original broadcast and managed to combine it with the video from the DVD of the show, which was much better quality. The only place where the Stewart song is heard behind some dialog is in the teaser to the show. That was complicated to deal with, because I was not using any sophisticated video editing software. It was tricky to line up the dialog so it was synchronized. Trying to do this was like trying to screw a fly.

Here is a page which compares the disco music from the original broadcast of Number One With A Bullet compared to what appeared on the DVD because of rights issues:

"Stayin' Alive"
"More Than A Woman"
"Night Fever"
Written and Performed by
The Bee Gees

"Manhattan Skyline"
Written by
David Shire

I don't know anything about this Manhattan Skyline piece, where it was in the original broadcast and whether it was also replaced by something else. If you can help me with this, contact me via the e-mail link at the bottom of my H50 WWW page, www.fiveohomepage.com
Holy crap Mike, you are da man! That scene is soooo much better with the Bee Gees music restored. I remember as a kid when I first got hipped to how the right music can enhance a film
when reading about John Ford and his "The Quiet Man". I seem to recall our Terry from Kerry back when saying he had visited the village of Cong where it was filmed.
Anyway, your dedication to the Hawaii Five-O legacy is to be applauded.
ConchRepublican of these boards once hosted the showings of Magnum PI on, COZI I believe.
No kidding, H & I network could do the same with you, I can't believe there is a rival to your 'throne', as it were.

Fleet Admiral

#1809 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:26 am
Mr. Mike wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 pm For The Execution File, I did a lengthy anal-ysis of the music, focusing on the scenes where the Rod Stewart song (not sung by him) was used. I actually took the audio from the music scenes in the original broadcast and managed to combine it with the video from the DVD of the show, which was much better quality. The only place where the Stewart song is heard behind some dialog is in the teaser to the show. That was complicated to deal with, because I was not using any sophisticated video editing software. It was tricky to line up the dialog so it was synchronized. Trying to do this was like trying to screw a fly.

"Stayin' Alive"
"More Than A Woman"
"Night Fever"
Written and Performed by
The Bee Gees

"Manhattan Skyline"
Written by
David Shire

Holy crap Mike, you are da man! That scene is soooo much better with the Bee Gees music restored. I remember as a kid when I first got hipped to how the right music can enhance a film
when reading about John Ford and his "The Quiet Man". I seem to recall our Terry from Kerry back when saying he had visited the village of Cong where it was filmed.
Anyway, your dedication to the Hawaii Five-O legacy is to be applauded.
ConchRepublican of these boards once hosted the showings of Magnum PI on, COZI I believe.
No kidding, H & I network could do the same with you, I can't believe there is a rival to your 'throne', as it were.
Yep I figured Mr. Mike would have the scoop on all this. :) I remember his comparisons of the Rod Stewart vs. non-Stewart song in "The Execution File". But I still need to double check "Number One With a Bullet" on my DVD. I seem to recall one of the 2 parts (it's a 2-part episode) having the Bee-Gees music replaced with some generic crap while the other part retaining a lot of the Bee-Gees music. Or maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Also I can't remember if that was on the DVD or when Netflix streamed it some 10 years ago.

Mr. Mike
Commander

#1810 Post by Mr. Mike »

Here are timings for the first season Ironside shows. They are totally screwy. There is a difference of up to 2 minutes between some shows. One of these shows, E02, lists John Rubinstein in the end credits, and he is not in the show at all that I can see.

I was doing a review of show E20 below, and by the end, it was totally illogical. (I watched it TWICE, making detailed notes each time.)

I am sure that something was cut out of this show because it was too long as filmed. This has happened with other episodes I have watched from the first season as well, for example, E22: http://www.ironsidetv.com/ironside-1.htm#22

If you look at the timings for the first season of H50 on my site (https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log1.htm), they don't vary so much, maybe up to 10 seconds at the most.

There are multiple releases of Ironside. One of them was done by Shout Factory (seasons 1-4). One review of these sets suggests they are based on PAL broadcasts. There is a release in Australia of all 8 seasons, and others sold on Amazon and Ebay which seem to be not from the USA (seasons 5-8 were never released in the USA as far as I know). I really don't feel like investing a lot of money in these releases to see if stuff is missing.

Note the episode numbers here may not tally with some listings elsewhere.

S01E00 - 1:36:39 - Pilot Episode
S01E01 - 49.54 - Message from Beyond
S01E02 - 47.58 - The Leaf in the Forest
S01E03 - 49.56 - Dead Man's Tale
S01E04 - 49.52 - Eat, Drink and Be Buried
S01E05 - 49.52 - The Taker
S01E06 - 48.18 - An Inside Job
S01E07 - 47:51 - Tagged For Murder
S01E08 - 47:52 - Let My Brother Go
S01E09 - 47:53 - Light at the End of the Journey
S01E10 - 49:49 - The Monster of Comus Towers
S01E11 - 47:51 - The Man Who Believed