Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1636 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:59 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:47 amYou have no choice but to separate the art from the artist, otherwise we would find a lot of great works unappealing.
I agree, but sadly it's in the culture now to judge an artist's work by the artist's personal life whether or not that personal life intersects with their work or not. This judgment is delightfully selective, because some artists get a free pass or are "protected" from such judgment, whereas others are ruined.

I am hopeful that those who sit in judgment of our public figures will provide a master list--set in stone--of flawless artists worthy of our adulation. :wink:
Well said. Agreed completely. Guys like Polanski get a pass but others whose "crimes" aren't even crimes get ruined.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1637 Post by T.Q. »

Z-Ivan,

What the heck is this?

Came up on wifey's FB feed.

https://www.facebook.com/h50aus :shock:

EDIT: Never mind think it's just a fan page.

Saw this and thought it was a reboot of the reboot of some kind.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Fleet Admiral

#1638 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:58 pm Z-Ivan,

What the heck is this?

Came up on wifey's FB feed.

https://www.facebook.com/h50aus :shock:

EDIT: Never mind think it's just a fan page.

Saw this and thought it was a reboot of the reboot of some kind.

Yep looks like some Aussie fan page for Five-Zero. Alex O is an Aussie after all so he probably has a large fanbase back home.

Another reboot? Shudder! I hope not. :o :x

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1639 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

So have any of you guys seen this missing episode that was mentioned in this old thread, and is it now in any of the DVD releases:

Robin's Nest in the Banned episode of Hawaii Five-O
#1 Post by Lindsay Writer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:36 pm

This episode of Five-O was so controversial it was never ever re-run and it's been locked away in a CBS vault since 1970.
it was never included in any DVD set but you can watch the opening 3 minutes here and you will see Robin's Nest. I would love to be able to watch this entire episode it's wild!

http://www.tvobscurities.com/2010/03/a- ... ii-five-o/

The episode was called “Bored She Hung Herself.”

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1640 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:02 am So have any of you guys seen this missing episode that was mentioned in this old thread, and is it now in any of the DVD releases:

This episode of Five-O was so controversial it was never ever re-run and it's been locked away in a CBS vault since 1970.
it was never included in any DVD set but you can watch the opening 3 minutes here and you will see Robin's Nest. I would love to be able to watch this entire episode it's wild!

I saw it a few years ago on YouTube and don’t believe Pahonu is in it. I also didn’t find it to be a very good episode. Here’s a current link.

https://m.facebook.com/HogansHeroesfull ... 761600380/

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1641 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Pahonu wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:04 am
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:02 am So have any of you guys seen this missing episode that was mentioned in this old thread, and is it now in any of the DVD releases:

I saw it a few years ago on YouTube and don’t believe Pahonu is in it. I also didn’t find it to be a very good episode. Here’s a current link.

https://m.facebook.com/HogansHeroesfull ... 761600380/
Pahonu,
Thank you very much. I'll watch it this week.

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1642 Post by Sam »

T.Q. wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:03 pm
Sam wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:16 am
T.Q. wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:06 pm No, the link is to Don Ho's "My Little Grass Shack".

It's the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a song Sally sings with McGarrett there.
Hey T.Q.
Here is a video from one of the HFO pages..

https://fiveohomepage.com/bullet/NOWAB-TV-sally.htm
If you click "here" and return to the main page..there are clips from the filming..

The club was located at 226 Lewers st..The ground floor is an ABC store.
Excellent.

Cool seeing a few of those filming clips.

Thanks.
Hey T.Q.
I posted or meant to post this video years ago.A follow up on Melveen Leed from 2015...The cat doing the interview is comedian/ actor Andy Bumatai.Those of you watching "Raven" may recognize him.He appeared in 13 episodes...
As an aside.Melveens son played Woe Fat in the HFO reboot.

https://m.facebook.com/AndyBumatai/vide ... 328583732/

https://youtu.be/i3q1JIh5U2U

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1643 Post by T.Q. »

Sam wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:39 am
Hey T.Q.
I posted or meant to post this video years ago.A follow up on Melveen Leed from 2015...The cat doing the interview is comedian/ actor Andy Bumatai.Those of you watching "Raven" may recognize him.He appeared in 13 episodes...
As an aside.Melveens son played Woe Fat in the HFO reboot.

https://m.facebook.com/AndyBumatai/vide ... 328583732/

https://youtu.be/i3q1JIh5U2U
Cool. Thanks.
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#1644 Post by Little Garwood »

RE: Clu Gulager

This was originally going to be posted over in the Mannix thread, but since I went on a Five-0 tangent, it'll go here. After all, this thread is one of my eldest "children." 8)

I've always liked "Assault on the Palace." By no means a classic, but Gulager is good in it. I also like the festive color and that McGarrett looks quite uncomfortable alongside the governor. I've often wondered if McG-Governor tension was an unspoken thing used by the writers or if it was just natural! :lol: McGarrett and Doc Bergman definitely couldn't stand one another, much to my considerable amusement.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#1645 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:46 pm RE: Clu Gulager

This was originally going to be posted over in the Mannix thread, but since I went on a Five-0 tangent, it'll go here. After all, this thread is one of my eldest "children." 8)

I've always liked "Assault on the Palace." By no means a classic, but Gulager is good in it. I also like the festive color and that McGarrett looks quite uncomfortable alongside the governor. I've often wondered if McG-Governor tension was an unspoken thing used by the writers or if it was just natural! :lol: McGarrett and Doc Bergman definitely couldn't stand one another, much to my considerable amusement.
It's a toss up between "Fools Die Twice" and "Assault on the Palace" as to which episode I like more. Both are very good episodes. Not classics but very good. Though his performance of Jack Gulley (a seagull serves as his undoing at the end :lol:) in "Fools Die Twice" is the better of the two. It's a "twitchy" performance (as Mr. Mike calls it in his review) - always remembered that phrasing. :D He's got a serious axe to grind in that one. It's not just about the money that he wants. It's personal, there's a revenge angle there which I like. Plus the way he sets up those other guys (led by Michael Conrad) as patsies was pretty brilliant, and cold-blooded.

Pahonu

#1646 Post by Pahonu »

Just wanted to link to this post as I think many here will enjoy the series.

https://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=4660

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1647 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Tonight on MeTV Plus they ran the episode "Elegy in a Rain Forest" from season 9.
Really exciting, with unusual guest characters such as the mute "David".

William Watson was off the charts scary as the crazy killer rapist. If there is a top ten list of the worst bad guys who ever appeared on the series,
Watson's "Marcus Lucien" is near the top. He'd give Dracula nightmares.

What also enhanced it was the on location filming in the scenic forest, away from the usual sets like McGarrett's office and yet another shot of Hotel street.
I realize the series was starting to feel its age in year 9 but this episode was a grabber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others"...Groucho Marx citing a 1870's NZ politician

Fleet Admiral

#1648 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:45 am Tonight on MeTV Plus they ran the episode "Elegy in a Rain Forest" from season 9.

William Watson was off the charts scary as the crazy killer rapist. If there is a top ten list of the worst bad guys who ever appeared on the series,

What also enhanced it was the on location filming in the scenic forest, away from the usual sets like McGarrett's office and yet another shot of Hotel street.
I realize the series was starting to feel its age in year 9 but this episode was a grabber.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others"...Groucho Marx citing a 1870's NZ politician
It's a very good episode indeed. Perhaps not as stellar as I once thought (I prefer season 8's "McGarrett is Missing", another episode with McG and his prisoner stranded in a rainforest) because the scenes with Karen and the mute "nature boy" kinda drag a bit and tend to be a bit schmaltzy but William Watson's Lucien is a scary presence for sure! :shock: I just wish he played it more straight all the way through, without resorting to all those facial contortions and theatrics which kinda make his performance really over-the-top in spots. He changes from a crazy madman to a sobbing cry-baby in a split second and then back again. It tends to be a bit too much at times, like he (Watson) is really going out of his way to convince us that he's crazy. Watson already has a scary face to begin with so there's really no need to go overboard with all those facial ticks and the babbling and rambling and sobbing. Just playing it more straight would have been more effective. So as it stands I'm always kinda torn by his performance - it's a love/hate kinda thing. :lol: The scenes where he's just really grim looking are the most effective for me. Shivers!

As for season 9 overall, that was the show's last truly great season! In fact I prefer it over season 8. So I really think season 9 gave us one last hurrah! Other absolute standouts from this season include "A Capitol Crime", "Target-A Cop", "The Bells Toll at Noon" (with Rich Little, directed by Jack Lord), and "Man in a Steel Frame". Those 4 can stand tall with some of the best episodes in the entire series! I'd also throw in "Blood Money is Hard to Wash" to round out my top 5 for the season.

Season 10 is where the creaks really started showing. That's also when the suits decided to pretty much water down all crime dramas across all networks, to cut down on the violence on TV. So all of a sudden McGarrett is doing favors for the governor's socialite friends, tracking down dog-nappers, and solving Agatha Christie-style mysteries. :lol:

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#1649 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:46 pm
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:45 am Tonight on MeTV Plus they ran the episode "Elegy in a Rain Forest" from season 9.
It's a very good episode indeed. Perhaps not as stellar as I once thought (I prefer season 8's "McGarrett is Missing", another episode with McG and his prisoner stranded in a rainforest) because the scenes with Karen and the mute "nature boy" kinda drag a bit and tend to be a bit schmaltzy but William Watson's Lucien is a scary presence for sure! :shock: I just wish he played it more straight all the way through, without resorting to all those facial contortions and theatrics which kinda make his performance really over-the-top in spots. He changes from a crazy madman to a sobbing cry-baby in a split second and then back again. It tends to be a bit too much at times, like he (Watson) is really going out of his way to convince us that he's crazy. Watson already has a scary face to begin with so there's really no need to go overboard with all those facial ticks and the babbling and rambling and sobbing. Just playing it more straight would have been more effective. So as it stands I'm always kinda torn by his performance - it's a love/hate kinda thing. :lol: The scenes where he's just really grim looking are the most effective for me. Shivers!

As for season 9 overall, that was the show's last truly great season! In fact I prefer it over season 8. So I really think season 9 gave us one last hurrah! Other absolute standouts from this season include "A Capitol Crime", "Target-A Cop", "The Bells Toll at Noon" (with Rich Little, directed by Jack Lord), and "Man in a Steel Frame". Those 4 can stand tall with some of the best episodes in the entire series! I'd also throw in "Blood Money is Hard to Wash" to round out my top 5 for the season.

Season 10 is where the creaks really started showing. That's also when the suits decided to pretty much water down all crime dramas across all networks, to cut down on the violence on TV. So all of a sudden McGarrett is doing favors for the governor's socialite friends, tracking down dog-nappers, and solving Agatha Christie-style mysteries. :lol:
Hi Ivan,
I'm glad to know at least season nine is a good one. I just saw "The Bells Toll at Noon" and as a old movie fan, especially of Warner Brothers and Jimmy Cagney flicks,
I thought it was outstanding. The writing was very clever and kudos to director Lord for the way he integrated the old movie footage.
I'm afraid though it's impact will be greatly diminished as the years go by because the younger folk won't "get" much of it as most won't watch black and white films anymore.
These flicks were 30 years old when I was growing up but because they provided a big part of the schedule for independent NYC channels 5, 9 and 11 all of us
kids knew Cagney and Bogie and Duke Wayne, it was universal. Plus Duke was still making movies.
Sunday mornings though were split along sectarian lines, you either watched the Bowery Boys on channel 5 or Abbott & Costello on channel 11 and never the twain shall meet.
It was banana splits at Louie's Sweet Shop versus Who's On First.

Ivan, the current run on MeTV Plus is the first time I have been able to watch Hawaii Five-O from beginning to end since it went off the air in 1980 so I am looking
forward to even the crummy episodes, they must still be better than the remake with the Aussie actor in the lead as McGarrett.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We're here for a good time not a long time"

Pahonu

#1650 Post by Pahonu »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:09 am
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:46 pm

Hi Ivan,
I'm glad to know at least season nine is a good one. I just saw "The Bells Toll at Noon" and as a old movie fan, especially of Warner Brothers and Jimmy Cagney flicks,
I thought it was outstanding. The writing was very clever and kudos to director Lord for the way he integrated the old movie footage.
I'm afraid though it's impact will be greatly diminished as the years go by because the younger folk won't "get" much of it as most won't watch black and white films anymore.
These flicks were 30 years old when I was growing up but because they provided a big part of the schedule for independent NYC channels 5, 9 and 11 all of us
kids knew Cagney and Bogie and Duke Wayne, it was universal. Plus Duke was still making movies.
Sunday mornings though were split along sectarian lines, you either watched the Bowery Boys on channel 5 or Abbott & Costello on channel 11 and never the twain shall meet.
It was banana splits at Louie's Sweet Shop versus Who's On First.

Ivan, the current run on MeTV Plus is the first time I have been able to watch Hawaii Five-O from beginning to end since it went off the air in 1980 so I am looking
forward to even the crummy episodes, they must still be better than the remake with the Aussie actor in the lead as McGarrett.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We're here for a good time not a long time"

Sorry to rain on your parade Dobie, but it’s not likely all of Hawaii Five-O’s episodes will be shown. In a previous conversation on this thread, it was pretty well established that the show has several syndication packages that have far fewer episodes than the series’ 281. Some included fewer than 200 and one only included 2 or 3 episodes from the final season. Perhaps Ivan remembers more specifically but many episodes are not aired on these channels.