Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

1948-present

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

Re: Hawaii Five-O: Any Fans?

#1621 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

T.Q. wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:27 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:07 pm Well, T.Q. It's been a great run chatting here with you, and now that you are an official Five-O fan I invite you to round 2 of... (drum roll.... drum roll....) Hawaii Five-O!! :lol:

Here we go again....
Ah, those wonderful beginnings where everything was crisp and fresh. Fresh young faces, fresh stories, fresh ambiance. Fresh and brand new on-location shooting away from Hollyweird. Ah, to be back in 1968 again. :) Sigh....

Haha.

I gotta move on with my life.

Rewatch 2032. :lol:
Well, in that case I leave you with this wonderful clip of Kurt Russell and Conan O'Brien reminiscing about Jack Lord and his iconic wave hair! :D Kurt of course played the Russkie tennis player/smuggler/killer in the S10 episode "Deadly Doubles".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OelXFvc8leo

Enjoy! :D

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1622 Post by T.Q. »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:26 am
Well, in that case I leave you with this wonderful clip of Kurt Russell and Conan O'Brien reminiscing about Jack Lord and his iconic wave hair! :D Kurt of course played the Russkie tennis player/smuggler/killer in the S10 episode "Deadly Doubles".

Cute.

Next up.

119 episodes 3X/week 40 weeks (10 months)...

... If I like it.

I will never forget the epic Steve McGarrett though (the real one). :lol:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#1623 Post by Pahonu »

T.Q. wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:30 pm
ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:26 am

Cute.

Next up.

119 episodes 3X/week 40 weeks (10 months)...

... If I like it.

I will never forget the epic Steve McGarrett though (the real one). :lol:
Nice! My favorite series all time and my favorite actor. There’s lots more focus on characterization than Five-O, but with some pretty complicated plots in several episodes. Ivan likes season one best. It probably has the most traditional detective/client episodes of the series. I like later episodes with interesting characters appearing and some reappearing in multiple episodes. Much to Ivan’s chagrin, it won a few Emmys too.

While I’m sure I’ll have lots to comment on, no pressure to rank the episodes from me! :lol: I don’t even know if Ivan has ranked them. He has actually seen them all though… unlike MPI! :shock:

Mr. Mike
Commander

#1624 Post by Mr. Mike »

Hey, just a cotton-pickin' minute ...

Just because you finished season 12, doesn't mean you finished!

What about SEASON 13!!!

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log13.htm

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1625 Post by T.Q. »

Mr. Mike wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:36 pm Hey, just a cotton-pickin' minute ...

Just because you finished season 12, doesn't mean you finished!

What about SEASON 13!!!

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log13.htm
:lol:

I did see that a while back.

Didn't read the actual episode synopses so was fooled thinking 'where is this lost season'.

Good job on them. :D
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#1626 Post by T.Q. »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:55 pm
Nice! My favorite series all time and my favorite actor. There’s lots more focus on characterization than Five-O, but with some pretty complicated plots in several episodes. Ivan likes season one best. It probably has the most traditional detective/client episodes of the series. I like later episodes with interesting characters appearing and some reappearing in multiple episodes. Much to Ivan’s chagrin, it won a few Emmys too.

While I’m sure I’ll have lots to comment on, no pressure to rank the episodes from me! :lol: I don’t even know if Ivan has ranked them. He has actually seen them all though… unlike MPI! :shock:
You had me at "no pressure".

You had me at "no pressure".

:lol:

Fleet Admiral

#1627 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:55 pm Ivan likes season one best. It probably has the most traditional detective/client episodes of the series.
Yep, it be real easy on my brain 'cause it got deez simple story linez dat even a foo like me can follow. Yessum, it be real easy like to understands and to follows, 'cause sometimes it just be real hard like to followz dem real hard to followz stories. So I likes to make it easy on myself so's not to damage my brain too much. Just takes it easy and slow-like wit me and every'ting be good. Otherwise I gots to use my brain and dat make me feel nots so good. It hurtz!

So yeps, seeson 1 bee my flavorite!! :D I thinks it be T.Q.'s too! 'Cause we don't want no mo' bamboo cages. :wink:
Not sure if T.Q. is planning to write his reviews here but I would suggest taking it to the Rockford thread where I'll be sure to chime in. And yes I believe I've seen all the Rockfish episodes, except maybe 2 or 3 from the final season? :?

Pahonu

#1628 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:03 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:55 pm Ivan likes season one best. It probably has the most traditional detective/client episodes of the series.
Yep, it be real easy on my brain 'cause it got deez simple story linez dat even a foo like me can follow. Yessum, it be real easy like to understands and to follows, 'cause sometimes it just be real hard like to followz dem real hard to followz stories. So I likes to make it easy on myself so's not to damage my brain too much. Just takes it easy and slow-like wit me and every'ting be good. Otherwise I gots to use my brain and dat make me feel nots so good. It hurtz!

So yeps, seeson 1 bee my flavorite!! :D I thinks it be T.Q.'s too! 'Cause we don't want no mo' bamboo cages. :wink:
Not sure if T.Q. is planning to write his reviews here but I would suggest taking it to the Rockford thread where I'll be sure to chime in. And yes I believe I've seen all the Rockfish episodes, except maybe 2 or 3 from the final season? :?
My comment wasn’t insinuating that the first season episodes are more simplistic or anything like that :D Some of them had some pretty complex storylines. I just meant that they followed more closely the traditional PI series format of a paying client approaching the detective for help. Older PI shows did have episodes with them helping friends rather than a paying client, but Rockford and later Magnum made a real habit of it.

I’ve never counted but I think it’s possible the majority of Rockford episodes don’t have a paying client. Think of all the favors Jimbo does for Angel, and Beth, and Rocky, and Gandy, and Rita, and even Dennis on occasion. That doesn’t count all the non-recurring characters that show up from his past or present needing help. There’s a reason he struggles financially while living in a trailer. He rarely gets paid!

By the way, I think in a previous conversation you actually wrote that you liked the first season for exactly the reason I wrote. :lol: Anyway, I enjoy the characters and their interactions more than the plots usually, but that’s just my preference. We’ll se what TQ thinks shortly.

Agreed, we should definitely move this over to the Rockford thread, and wait for TQ’s first post there.

Do you have Rockford season rankings??? :shock:

Fleet Admiral

#1629 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:55 pm

My comment wasn’t insinuating that the first season episodes are more simplistic or anything like that :D Some of them had some pretty complex storylines. I just meant that they followed more closely the traditional PI series format of a paying client approaching the detective for help. Older PI shows did have episodes with them helping friends rather than a paying client, but Rockford and later Magnum made a real habit of it.

I’ve never counted but I think it’s possible the majority of Rockford episodes don’t have a paying client. Think of all the favors Jimbo does for Angel, and Beth, and Rocky, and Gandy, and Rita, and even Dennis on occasion. That doesn’t count all the non-recurring characters that show up from his past or present needing help. There’s a reason he struggles financially while living in a trailer. He rarely gets paid!

By the way, I think in a previous conversation you actually wrote that you liked the first season for exactly the reason I wrote. :lol: Anyway, I enjoy the characters and their interactions more than the plots usually, but that’s just my preference. We’ll se what TQ thinks shortly.

Agreed, we should definitely move this over to the Rockford thread, and wait for TQ’s first post there.
Yep, I guess I do like the more traditional PI approach of the first season. Also lots of wide open spaces and desert scenery. Something about that that I really love! Maybe because I'm by nature a country kind of guy. Not a fan of crowded urban areas. Also lots of quiet stake-out scenes with Jimbo just observing things - love those too.

But while season 1 may be my favorite I'm actually a big fan of the first 3 seasons. It's season 4 where I start to see the cracks a little. More so with season 5. And then season 6 is basically the equivalent of Hawaii Five-O S12. :lol:
Nah, now you're asking for too much. :lol: Five-O was the only one I did that for. I think for a lot of shows I know roughly what my top 5 for a season would be but to rank ALL the episodes would surely be an errand for a madman! :shock:

Pahonu

#1630 Post by Pahonu »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:25 pm
Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:55 pm

Yep, I guess I do like the more traditional PI approach of the first season. Also lots of wide open spaces and desert scenery. Something about that that I really love! Maybe because I'm by nature a country kind of guy. Not a fan of crowded urban areas. Also lots of quiet stake-out scenes with Jimbo just observing things - love those too.

But while season 1 may be my favorite I'm actually a big fan of the first 3 seasons. It's season 4 where I start to see the cracks a little. More so with season 5. And then season 6 is basically the equivalent of Hawaii Five-O S12. :lol:
Nah, now you're asking for too much. :lol: Five-O was the only one I did that for. I think for a lot of shows I know roughly what my top 5 for a season would be but to rank ALL the episodes would surely be an errand for a madman! :shock:
Not for a 12 season show though?!?!? :wink:

I could probably even pick a top 5 Rockford by season. :shock: No promises though… top 3 might be more realistic. :lol:

…or just a favorite here and there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#1631 Post by Sam »

Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:33 am
Sam wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:29 am Not Sunset?? To me that's always been the weird.
Nah, Sunset has all the clubs and nightlife, The Roxy, The Viper Room, and Whisky A Go Go. It’s a great evening scene. Hollywood has the Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theatre forecourt, drawing huge numbers of tourists all day. The tourists draw all the buskers and characters in costume for photos. I’ve seen lots more “entertainment” on the street there.
You may be right Pahonu but my opinion West Hollywood just seems crazy weird..
The freaks on Hollywood blvd seem to relish in weirding out the tourist..More of a side show atmosphere.

Pahonu

#1632 Post by Pahonu »

Sam wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:12 am
Pahonu wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:33 am
Sam wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:29 am Not Sunset?? To me that's always been the weird.
Nah, Sunset has all the clubs and nightlife, The Roxy, The Viper Room, and Whisky A Go Go. It’s a great evening scene. Hollywood has the Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theatre forecourt, drawing huge numbers of tourists all day. The tourists draw all the buskers and characters in costume for photos. I’ve seen lots more “entertainment” on the street there.
You may be right Pahonu but my opinion West Hollywood just seems crazy weird..
The freaks on Hollywood blvd seem to relish in weirding out the tourist..More of a side show atmosphere.
Good way to describe Hollywood Blvd. and I also agree, West Hollywood has lots of oddballs. The funniest part is I remember reading quite a few years ago that WeHo, as they call it, had one of the highest percentages of residence from outside California of any city in the state. In other words, it’s not homegrown. It draws all the characters from other places in the US because of the anything-goes atmosphere. Of course, Hollywood in general does this as “wannabe actors” from all over the planet spend their life there… waiting tables. :lol:

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#1633 Post by Little Garwood »

The video Ivan posted only adds to Jack Lord's..."unappealingness." Luckily for me, I can separate the "art from the artist" and admire the heck out of Steve McGarrett while rolling my eyes at his alter ego's lesser qualities. There will never be a better or equal McGarrett than Jack's; the man was born to play the role (and I can see Future McGarrett in many a scene in Stoney Burke, a series which deserves praise but will never, ever receive it).
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Fleet Admiral

#1634 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Little Garwood wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:21 pm The video Ivan posted only adds to Jack Lord's..."unappealingness." Luckily for me, I can separate the "art from the artist" and admire the heck out of Steve McGarrett while rolling my eyes at his alter ego's lesser qualities. There will never be a better or equal McGarrett than Jack's; the man was born to play the role (and I can see Future McGarrett in many a scene in Stoney Burke, a series which deserves praise but will never, ever receive it).
Well said. You have no choice but to separate the art from the artist, otherwise we would find a lot of great works unappealing. I've read that Peter Falk was a real jerk too, according to his COLUMBO co-star Suzanne Pleshette (of the Eddie Albert episode "Dead Weight").

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#1635 Post by Little Garwood »

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:47 amYou have no choice but to separate the art from the artist, otherwise we would find a lot of great works unappealing.
I agree, but sadly it's in the culture now to judge an artist's work by the artist's personal life whether or not that personal life intersects with their work or not. This judgment is delightfully selective, because some artists get a free pass or are "protected" from such judgment, whereas others are ruined.

I am hopeful that those who sit in judgment of our public figures will provide a master list--set in stone--of flawless artists worthy of our adulation. :wink:
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck