Fleet Admiral

#196 Post by Miss Q »

you can pre-order season 1 on amazon already
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#197 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Miss Q wrote:you can pre-order season 1 on amazon already
Yeah, TVShowsOnDVD.com mentioned this the other day...that's where I got my info. They don't have an actual date yet, but it's thought to probably be next fall sometime.

I will definitely be purchasing a set! :) But, I will probably get one off ebay...as I can usually find one cheaper and it many times arrives a little sooner than when ordering off Amazon. Can't wait!! :D
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#198 Post by KENJI »

I watched an old episode of the original show and the WO FAT Chop Suey restaurant was in one scene. I know Magnum PI also had a few scenes outside this popular place. I wonder if the character Wo Fat was named after this restaurant. Anyone know? A fun fact/trivia piece at the least.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#199 Post by MaiTaiMan »

KENJI wrote:I watched an old episode of the original show and the WO FAT Chop Suey restaurant was in one scene. I know Magnum PI also had a few scenes outside this popular place. I wonder if the character Wo Fat was named after this restaurant. Anyone know? A fun fact/trivia piece at the least.
Yes...the creator and executive producer of the original "Hawaii Five-0", Leonard Freeman, saw the restaurant one day in downtown Honolulu back in '68 (and I think even stopped in and ate), and loved the name! He purposely then used part of the name, 'Wo Fat', for the main villian/nemisis for McGarrett in the show. :)

The original Wo Fat was played by actor Khigh Dhiegh, who sadly passed away in 1991. Actor Mark Dacascos now plays Wo Fat in the new show.
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#200 Post by KENJI »

Thanks for that MaiTaiMan!!!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#201 Post by MaiTaiMan »

KENJI wrote:Thanks for that MaiTaiMan!!!
Sure! :) I love the original "Hawaii Five-0", as well as the new show! By no means do I know everything, but I've researched some trivia and info about the original show. I love learning small, but interesting, tid-bits. They make watching the shows that much more fun. :wink:

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#202 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

MaiTaiMan wrote:
Yeah, TVShowsOnDVD.com mentioned this the other day...that's where I got my info. They don't have an actual date yet, but it's thought to probably be next fall sometime.

I will definitely be purchasing a set! :) But, I will probably get one off ebay...as I can usually find one cheaper and it many times arrives a little sooner than when ordering off Amazon. Can't wait!! :D
Season One of the 2010 series AND Season 11 of the original will be released on September 20th. :)

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#203 Post by MaiTaiMan »

StarchedUndershirts wrote:
MaiTaiMan wrote:

Season One of the 2010 series AND Season 11 of the original will be released on September 20th. :)
I know, I saw that too!! Awesome!! :D Superb way to promote both shows too! :wink: Only Season 12 of the original show to go...I wonder when season premieres will start this next fall---will the new "5-0" start season 2 by September 20th?

September 20th is also a very memorable date for the "Hawaii Five-0" franchise. The original show debuted on September 20, 1968...and this new show debuted last fall on September 20, 2010! :o

However, September 20th this year is on a Tuesday...so if the new show stays on Monday nights, then it'll probably be the next week after the 20th, when the new season starts. Time will tell. :)

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#204 Post by Coops »

This new show had me for about the first 5 or 6 episodes but I've since last all interest.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#205 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Coops wrote:This new show had me for about the first 5 or 6 episodes but I've since last all interest.
"Lost" all interest? That's too bad! :? The show really got better and more interesting as it went along. The season finale was superb...and was a shocker "hanger" that you didn't see coming! You should try it again. :)

Coops
Fleet Admiral

#206 Post by Coops »

I watched it sporadically afterwards but it never got my attention. It has too much of what I don't like about most TV shows today; quick editing, rapid fire dialogue, and almost nothing to make me emotionally attached to the characters, they all seem very generic to me.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#207 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Coops wrote:I watched it sporadically afterwards but it never got my attention. It has too much of what I don't like about most TV shows today; quick editing, rapid fire dialogue, and almost nothing to make me emotionally attached to the characters, they all seem very generic to me.
TOTALLY!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

Lily
Fleet Admiral

#208 Post by Lily »

It took me a while to really get into the series as it appears so fast paced. Also some of the filming is way off re the colouring...and its not my television either!

But I like the series because it is filmed in an area I know and cant wait to get back to.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#209 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Coops wrote:I watched it sporadically afterwards but it never got my attention. It has too much of what I don't like about most TV shows today; quick editing, rapid fire dialogue, and almost nothing to make me emotionally attached to the characters, they all seem very generic to me.
I understand what you're saying...but too many shows in the past 10 years or so get too into their characters, if you know what I mean. Pretty soon we have "CSI: Dallas"...or "Criminal Minds: Dallas". It turns into a soap opera, and if I wanted to watch a show about people making stupid choices and then not being able to figure out why their lives are so screwed up or chaotic...then I'd watch a soap opera. :wink:

I miss the days where the shows were more about the cases and how they go about solving them, rather than who's screwing who, who's pregnant, who's become an alcoholic, etc... A little "personilization" is good, I agree. But, writers then take it way too far, and that gets old really fast.

I've enjoyed the difference with the new "5-0" compared to most of today's shows. The original wasn't a soap opera, and I'm glad this new one isn't either. The back stories about some of the main characters that we periodically go back to is enough for now. I've enjoyed the action, scenery, and even the characters. For me it's been a refreshing change, and a little flashback to when shows were better. :)

StarchedUndershirts
Admiral

#210 Post by StarchedUndershirts »

I agree with everything MaiTaiMan said. It's been a long time since I made an effort to watch a t.v. show on a weekly basis.
I stil don't save for a few shows (Hawaii 5-0, Covert Affairs, and Desperate Housewives).
Everything else is either a "reality" show or a badly written show that focuses more on the characters on the show rather than the show itself.
Even the "sit-coms" aren't funny. :roll: